gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:05:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Enquiring minds want to know?  (Read 14207 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:48 AM »

Then Mike can retire to club Kokomo. Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 07:09:06 AM »

It's well past overdue for the license to be handed back to Brian. Screw the money and give it back to the one it sincerely belongs to. Thumbs Up

Given that Brian voted from the license to go to Mike, and that if it somehow devolved to him, the income therefrom for Carl's estate would dwindle to, essentially, nothing... don't see that ever happening. Brian's had no problem with it since 1999. But hey, this is the real world...
You seem to always be intensely preoccupied with "estates" and people using pseudonyms. I cannot think of a better example of using a pseudonym than the touring outfit using The Beach Boys monicker instead of the Mike and Bruce Band. Would the lovester be at all worried about ticket sales? All estates eventually fold and so will the M&B band. Life in the real world, however, will undoubtedly go on.

No, rather I'm preoccupied with facts.

Fact: the estate of Carl Wilson is a voting member of BRI

Fact: Mike & Bruce tried to go out without being billed as "The Beach Boys" in summer 1998 (it's on 10452) and it didn't work, so they went back to BRI and were awarded a non-exclusive license to use the marquee mane (really, this isn't insider info...). In late 1999 they were voted an exclusive license to tour as the BB by a 3-1 majority.

Fact: since then, no-one has made any move to change this state of affairs.

who knows... maybe Brian is gearing up to take back what is rightfully his. it could probably be argued that Brian felt intimidated into giving Mike the license. either way, I can't see why any true fan of this band wouldn't welcome and encourage such a move.

my fingers are crossed.

Try this for size - Brian, or more accurately, Brian's representative took part in a free vote, the outcome of which is noted above. No-one was intimidated.
I've got your fact:  License, schlicense, BRIAN WILSON IS , I SAY IS THE BEACH BOYS!!!! HAND IT OVER NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 07:13:26 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »

If Brian got the rights...if, the name would presumably go into hiatus until if and when he decides to use it. I think it highly unlikely he would go out with Al, Dave, Blondie or whoever, as 'The Beach Boys'.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »

If Brian got the rights...if, the name would presumably go into hiatus until if and when he decides to use it. I think it highly unlikely he would go out with Al, Dave, Blondie or whoever, as 'The Beach Boys'.
Interesting...why do you believe that?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »

yeah I'm not so sure... but thanks so much for the predictable by-rote response

It's predictable because I have to repeat, seemingly ad nauseum, what actually happened

no... you really don't.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »

How can Brian "retake" the license?  Did it ever belong exclusively to him? Did somebody "take" it away from him?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »

It's well past overdue for the license to be handed back to Brian. Screw the money and give it back to the one it sincerely belongs to. Thumbs Up

Given that Brian voted from the license to go to Mike, and that if it somehow devolved to him, the income therefrom for Carl's estate would dwindle to, essentially, nothing... don't see that ever happening. Brian's had no problem with it since 1999. But hey, this is the real world...
You seem to always be intensely preoccupied with "estates" and people using pseudonyms. I cannot think of a better example of using a pseudonym than the touring outfit using The Beach Boys monicker instead of the Mike and Bruce Band. Would the lovester be at all worried about ticket sales? All estates eventually fold and so will the M&B band. Life in the real world, however, will undoubtedly go on.

No, rather I'm preoccupied with facts.

Fact: the estate of Carl Wilson is a voting member of BRI

Fact: Mike & Bruce tried to go out without being billed as "The Beach Boys" in summer 1998 (it's on 10452) and it didn't work, so they went back to BRI and were awarded a non-exclusive license to use the marquee mane (really, this isn't insider info...). In late 1999 they were voted an exclusive license to tour as the BB by a 3-1 majority.

Fact: since then, no-one has made any move to change this state of affairs.

who knows... maybe Brian is gearing up to take back what is rightfully his. it could probably be argued that Brian felt intimidated into giving Mike the license. either way, I can't see why any true fan of this band wouldn't welcome and encourage such a move.

my fingers are crossed.

Try this for size - Brian, or more accurately, Brian's representative took part in a free vote, the outcome of which is noted above. No-one was intimidated.
I've got your fact:  License, schlicense, BRIAN WILSON IS , I SAY IS THE BEACH BOYS!!!! HAND IT OVER NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

I see you are easily intimidated by truth, and by facts.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »

He won't, for the following reasons...

He obviously doesn't want them, or else he would have made a (legal) move by now.

BRI would never make such a decision that would result is a very significant reduction in their income stream (gigs per year: Mike, 125+, Brian, maybe 30/40).

Once again, some people here are projecting their desires on Brian and Shazaam ! suddenly it's what he wants to do.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:47:07 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »

Brian wanted to keep touring and recording as a Beach Boy... Mike said no.

this we know for a fact. no projection whatsoever.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »

He obviously doesn't want them, or else he would have made a (legal) move by now.

BRI would never make such a decision that would result is a very significant reduction in their income stream (gigs per year: Mike, 125+, Brian, maybe 30/40).

Once again, some people here are projecting their desires on Brian and Shazaam ! suddenly it's what he wants to do.

I'm only saying 'if' to those posters who think it is happening. It is a tabloid story so who knows what is going on. Has it ever been entirely clarified that the rights are indefinite? Nobody has ever been able to provide the few lines or even put in words what the contract says have they?

OSD. Like it or not, Mike for most is still the voice of the Beach Boys for most. Many of Brians leads have been farmed out to others for the last few years. Al still has the best voice in the group IMO but not the volume of songs Mike has. I just can't see the numbers working if they went alone and presumably paying Mike to stay at home plus Carls estate. Surely we are talking 30-40 gigs every other year for Brian if you are  lucky
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »

AGD:

Can you confirm that the four corporate votes are (1) Brian, (2) Mike, (3) Dennis estate, (4) Carl estate?

relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 05:45:13 PM »

The four votes are Brian, Mike, Al and Carl's estate.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 10:13:53 PM »

AGD:

Can you confirm that the four corporate votes are (1) Brian, (2) Mike, (3) Dennis estate, (4) Carl estate?

The votes are   Mike   Al   Brian  and  Carl's estate    Only 4 votes       Dennis' estate sold off their vote years ago
               AGD can do much better on the timing on when the Dennis vote was sold off by his heir(s).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

This we also know for a fact: between late 1999 and now, Brian has made no overt moves to "get the license back" (which license he was never awarded in the first place, btw). In fact, in an interview circa 2008 he noted "well, Mike & Bruce are The Beach Boys, and Alan Jardine is Alan Jardine... but I'm Brian Wilson".

AGD:

No, I cannot, because that's not the case: the corporate voting member of BRI are Brian, Mike, Alan & Carl's estate. As I and others have stated on this and other fora for, oh, at least a decade, probably more.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:27:02 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 12:07:59 AM »

Brian, or more accurately, Brian's representative took part in a free vote, the outcome of which is noted above. No-one was intimidated.

What would be interesting to know is whether the representative voted to give the licence to Mike or was outvoted.

Wasn't it that Brian wanted to stop touring with the Beach Boys for a while? He got his wish and Mike tours without him again - for a really long while as it seems.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 07:49:31 AM »

I'm only saying 'if' to those posters who think it is happening. It is a tabloid story so who knows what is going on. Has it ever been entirely clarified that the rights are indefinite? Nobody has ever been able to provide the few lines or even put in words what the contract says have they?

OSD. Like it or not, Mike for most is still the voice of the Beach Boys for most. Many of Brians leads have been farmed out to others for the last few years. Al still has the best voice in the group IMO but not the volume of songs Mike has. I just can't see the numbers working if they went alone and presumably paying Mike to stay at home plus Carls estate. Surely we are talking 30-40 gigs every other year for Brian if you are  lucky
Yeah, well, sorry to disappoint, but like it or not, the "voice" of the BB's for me has and always will be Brian to be closely followed by Carl and Al. Sue me. He and Al sounded quite good on TWGMTR, and Brian's latest "guesting" spots are excellent. And despite those who think they know what's going on, this is the Beach Boys we're discussing here so most of us know anything can happen. I think we all better stay tuned.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 08:04:07 AM »

Yeah, well, sorry to disappoint, but like it or not, the "voice" of the BB's for me has and always will be Brian to be closely followed by Carl and Al. Sue me. He and Al sounded quite good on TWGMTR, and Brian's latest "guesting" spots are excellent. And despite those who think they know what's going on, this is the Beach Boys we're discussing here so most of us know anything can happen. I think we all better stay tuned.

Sure, Got ya. Brains is the voice, BUT, for most anyone that goes to see a BBs show( and you KNOW this) the one they recognize is Mike.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »

Then BW can use a hollogram of Mike without the ego LOL

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 08:30:29 AM »

Mike and Bruce generate a revenue stream that would likely be hard to duplicate by someone else holding the license.  Still, one wonders if perhaps a non exclusive license might balance the touring business that M&B have worked hard to maintain, with the opportunity for Al and Brian to do projects that they want to do, either within or seperate from the touring Beach Boys.

Mike probably had some pretty legitimate reasons for wanting to go back to the M&B format after Celebration50. But Al and Brian were obviously taken aback by the fact that there wasn't a continuation, and with an exclusive license to Mike, there really wasn't much they could do. Mike claimed they weren't fired, which is technically true, but they were definitely 'locked out'

Regardless of who did what in the band, it's the name, that generates the most money.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »

It would still draw a healthy round of boos from the audience.  angel

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »

w00t! Rock! w00t! Thumbs Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 08:58:52 AM »

It would still draw a healthy round of boos from the audience.  angel
As it should be.... Cool

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 02:33:22 PM »

Not disappointed. Having Brian as the 'voice' of the Beach Boys to you is your right but to the punters who attend M&B's 100 plus shows a year, he is not so important.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 05:33:17 PM »

Not disappointed. Having Brian as the 'voice' of the Beach Boys to you is your right but to the punters who attend M&B's 100 plus shows a year, he is not so important.
Ha! That's why they would be found attending a Mike and Bruce show because, quite honestly, they don't know any better. Sad to see the dumbing-down of the audience which doesn't speak well for the legacy, does it?  Shrug

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx