gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:50:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you dislike making "non-commercial" music?  (Read 1527 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »

Hi Brian,

In many interviews and books over the years, it's been said that you generally prefer to compose straightforward pop songs. I've also heard you state recently that you did not particularly like the stranger, avant-garde music from Smile. I consider those parts of Smile to be similar to later albums by artists like Frank Zappa or Lou Reed while he was in The Velvet Underground. In 2010, you called Zappa's music "crazy and modern" during a past Q&A, and in 2013, you named Lou Reed "a great songwriter and storyteller" in an online post.

The "Life Suite" songs were the most "non-commercial" tracks on Radio, but they were also the ones that were enjoyed the most by critics, fans, and even the people who do not normally listen to you or the Beach Boys. So my question is:

Why haven't you shown much interest in recording more "non-commercial" work? Do you dislike it, find it challenging, fear that people won't like it, don't feel in the mood, or maybe some other reason?

(From a 19-year-old fan.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:24:51 PM by puni puni » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx