gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 05:41:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's new collaborator  (Read 6794 times)
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2006, 07:13:06 AM »

This, from the Blueboard - David Pack, mastermind of Ambrosia, co-writer of Jack Wagner's "All I Need" (with Glen Ballard, Svengali for Alanis Morissette!), and more recently involved in country music, is, according to his website... "Inside story: David recently met with Brian Wilson for a top-secret MAJOR project of the future...stay tuned!"

One other thing about David Pack - seems he can't keep a secret worth sh*t!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 07:21:23 AM »

This, from the Blueboard - David Pack, mastermind of Ambrosia, co-writer of Jack Wagner's "All I Need" (with Glen Ballard, Svengali for Alanis Morissette!), and more recently involved in country music, is, according to his website... "Inside story: David recently met with Brian Wilson for a top-secret MAJOR project of the future...stay tuned!"

One other thing about David Pack - seems he can't keep a secret worth merda!

You say "Country" ? And there's talk about a reunion.... so:

Stars & Stripes vol. 2 ?   Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 07:26:28 AM »

You say "Country" ?

I may have misspoken there - seems that in popular music of all kinds, there is a need for pros who can supply what I call 'gloop'. This guy can do it, in spades.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 08:52:27 AM »

Didn't Glen Ballard also work with Wilson Phillips?

Brian Wilson is collaborating with someone on songs. Why the desire to keep it "top secret"?

Edit: Mr. Moderator, my avatar seems to have disappeared. Do you know where it is?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 09:06:39 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 10:06:27 AM »

Something is wrong with the link. You should try another host, I think the one you're using is down.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 04:36:09 PM »

If this is true, one word:  ugh.   Didn't they learn anything from "Imagination"?  No more MOR, please, either disguised as country or not.  It really doesn't get much worse than Ambrosia and Jack Wagner.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:42:56 PM »

Oh who knows. It could be some compilation album that Brian is contributing to. I don't think BW's folks are that keen on him collaborating with a lot of outside hacks, outside of the trusted few.
SG7
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »

Well maybe we'll all be surprised. If we got what we wanted out of an artist all the time, the world would be so boring because we would know what would be coming.  Grin
Jason
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »

Well maybe we'll all be surprised. If we got what we wanted out of an artist all the time, the world would be so boring because we would know what would be coming.  Grin

With Brian Wilson's solo career in the shape it is now, I'd prefer getting what we wanted out of him all the time.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »

With Brian Wilson's solo career in the shape it is now, I'd prefer getting what we wanted out of him all the time.

I'd settle for getting SOMETHING out of him so we can dissect it and argue over it. It makes my job here fun.  Grin

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »

I'd settle for getting SOMETHING out of him so we can dissect it and argue over it. It makes my job here fun.  Grin

SMiLE sucks....

*said just to get a few folks riled up.... and make Billy's job here more fun*

-GoofyJeff
who loves SMiLE

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 05:22:13 PM »

BANNED~!  police
………………..,-~*’`¯lllllll`*~,
…………..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,
………,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,
……,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\
….;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\
…..\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/………\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,
…...\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*………..`~-~-,…(.(¯`*,`,
…….\llllllllllll,-~*…………………)_-\..*`*;..)
……..\,-*`¯,*`)…………,-~*`~.………….../
……...|/.../…/~,…...-~*,-~*`;……………./.\
……../.../…/…/..,-,..*~,.`*~*…………….*...\
…….|.../…/…/.*`...\...……………………)….)¯`~,
…….|./…/…./…….)……,.)`*~-,……….../….|..)…`~-,
……/./.../…,*`-,…..`-,…*`….,---…...\…./…../..|……...¯```*~-
…...(……….)`*~-,….`*`.,-~*.,-*……|…/.…/…/…………\
…….*-,…….`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*……….|.,*...,*…|…...\
……….*,………`-,…)-,…………..,-*`...,-*….(`-,………
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 05:30:58 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »

LOL  I knew you'd like that, Billy   Smiley

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
catman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 11:55:27 PM »

What ever happened to VDP? I thought I heard they were going to work on some tunes. Is that not happening?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 04:49:28 AM »

I'm not neccesarily opposed to Brian working with a collaborator or even another producer to co-produce or produce Brian. I'm not even neccesarily opposed to a collaborator being the majority part of some of those collaborations, as long as the material is good.

Brian clearly has produced hit-and-miss quality material as a solo artist in recent years, "Smile" aside (especially since we're talking about "new" material). After Joe Thomas made "Imagination" cringe-worthy for some fans (a possible example of a collaborator not bettering Brian's music), many fans called for Brian to just record and produce himself, perhaps even just take fairly recent unreleased songs and put them together for a new album. Well, we got exactly that on "Gettin' In Over My Head." While I don't dislike that album nearly as much as, say, Andrew G. Doe has said he does, I think many fans will agree that that album indicates that Brian is both short on new song ideas and unable or unwilling to really craft a high quality album of new songs.

I've always hoped Brian would work with Jeff Lynne again. The one song they did together on the '88 album, "Let It Shine", is one of the best songs on that album. Yes, a potential collaboration with Lynne in terms of songwriting and production would mean we'd be getting more Lynne than Brian in some ways. But again, I don't think it's a bad thing if Brian works with somebody else and lets the other person carry much of the weight, so long as the material and production is good. It doesn't have to sound "Smile-esque" or even overtly "Beach Boys-like." I'd much rather hear something like "Let It Shine" even if it sounds like Brian performing a Jeff Lynne song, than hear something contrived like "South American."

As much as I do like seeing "Produced by Brian Wilson" on Brian's recent and present projects, I don't think it has to be that way. I think perhaps BB/Brian fans are scared off from outside producers controlling things on an album based on some rather iffy results in the past (Steve Levine, Joe Thomas). It's a bad idea to let somebody else run the show instead of Brian, but only if the person running the show isn't producing quality material. I would not be the slightest bit put off by somebody else coming in to produce Brian and perhaps even write or co-write for him, if the material is high quality. Brian's place in history as a producer and songwriter is secure, so I don't see a problem with having a new album with, say some co-writes with Andy Paley, Jeff Lynne, etc. and a "Produced by Jeff Lynne and Brian Wilson" tag.

I'm not suggesting Brian sell out. I don't want to see a "duets" album, nor do I want to see Brian trying to get contemporary (i.e. "Smart Girls"). The material can sound retro, 60's, poppy, whatever, and still have a lot of imput from somebody else.

Maybe if Brian is working with this new guy Pack, the material will be good. If, on the other hand, Pack is simply being brought in to make Brian "contemporary", or if he's being brought in to write "Beach Boys-esque" material, or if he's being brought in simply to slightly re-write lyrics to old unreleased songs (i.e. "She Says That She Needs Me", "You've Touched Me"), then I can't imagine that has a high chance or producing high quality results. But who knows?

Bring on the live and studio outtakes via the new BB website. That's where the high quality material remains in terms of the BB's.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 04:57:16 AM »

I'm not neccesarily opposed to Brian working with a collaborator or even another producer to co-produce or produce Brian. I'm not even neccesarily opposed to a collaborator being the majority part of some of those collaborations, as long as the material is good.

Maybe if Brian is working with this new guy Pack, the material will be good. If, on the other hand, Pack is simply being brought in to make Brian "contemporary", or if he's being brought in to write "Beach Boys-esque" material, or if he's being brought in simply to slightly re-write lyrics to old unreleased songs (i.e. "She Says That She Needs Me", "You've Touched Me"), then I can't imagine that has a high chance or producing high quality results. But who knows?

Perhaps Brian is, right now, just another musician in search of his demographic.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 07:06:10 AM »

Actually, Brian has been putting out some new songs. There is "Believe in yourself" from the Duck Dodgers cartoon, "Walking in the Path of Life", and the two new songs from the Christmas album.

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 02:11:03 PM »

Someone young and hip might light a fire under Brian.  If I was looking for someone....I wouldn't necesarily look for a "name".  Cut some tracks and if the chemistry is no good, don't release it.  Brian might be best served by a young collaborator/producer who's not a fan so-to-speak.  It's been done with pretty good success with other aging artists.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 02:28:53 PM »

...why not Rick Rubin? He did wonders for Johnny Cash...

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 02:30:56 PM »

What ever happened to VDP? I thought I heard they were going to work on some tunes. Is that not happening?

I don't know anything for sure, but I got vibes from the last couple of interviews with Brian or Van Dyke that they don't really like each other, lol. 

I think Brian clumsily said something in one like "We respect each other a lot, but aren't really friends". 

Kind of strange that they recorded 2 entire albums together and now don't like each other, I wonder what happened?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 02:34:30 PM »

I don't know anything for sure, but I got vibes from the last couple of interviews with Brian or Van Dyke that they don't really like each other, lol. 

I think Brian clumsily said something in one like "We respect each other a lot, but aren't really friends". 

Kind of strange that they recorded 2 entire albums together and now don't like each other, I wonder what happened?

I honestly don't think they ever really *did*. Brian had made some comments right after OCA was done, and apparently REALLY despised one of the tracks (I think it was "This Town goes down at Sunset"). Also, remember the comment Brian made when he was drunk at Ringo Starr's birthday party...

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 03:35:39 PM »

Totally agree on this choice. Rick has had success with a number of artists hasn't he? I wonder if they (management) feel that Rick Rubin would change Brian's "sound" too much?
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 05:30:53 PM »

Totally agree on this choice. Rick has had success with a number of artists hasn't he? I wonder if they (management) feel that Rick Rubin would change Brian's "sound" too much?

I think he needs someone without their own sound or style. Brian certainly has his own sound and style; what he needs is someone who he'll listen to if they say, "Not a good idea, Brian, and here's why...". That is, without Brian losing his confidence.

Having said that, I'm just not sure who that person is.
catman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 05:34:48 PM »

What comment did Brian make at Ringo's birthday party?

I wish Brian and his organization would figure out that people see Brian as a legendary wacked out musical genius and that they should run with that image . He should not concern himself with being "hip" or more listener-friendly to the public. Basicly, he should do whatever he wants to do without worrying about things not related to the music.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 05:38:47 PM »

What comment did Brian make at Ringo's birthday party?
"Van Dyke Parks is a butthole!"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx