gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:13:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Rodney on the Roq"  (Read 8421 times)
tony
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2005, 01:15:25 PM »

Just watched "The Mayor of Sunset Strip" which with extra footage cut from the theatre release comes in at about three and a half hours, and it's great!! Brian makes small cameos throughout, and it's fascinating to see how a super-fan worked his way up, first starting as a gofer for sonny and Cher, then as a record company rep, then as a club owner, then as a DJ for K-ROCK since 1976. Turns out he's helped break a lot of acts over the last 30 years, and specializes in playing demos to help them. A very shy, sensitve and inteligent guy, not obsequious at all, and- amazingly- a babe-magnet!!

Anyways, it's essential viewing (As Gary 'PIG' Gold would say) for any rock fan since 1963, but this is my question: near the beginning of the film there's a song heard in a radio station which is guesting Brian, and it's a fully finished production of a song about Rodney, sung by Brian. Has anyone heard of this before? It's called "Rodney on the Roq" and it's fantastic, and available on the soundtrack album: here's a URL to a sample of the song:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/selection/103/Mayor_Of_The_Sunset_Strip%3A_Original_Soundtrack_To_The_Motion_Picture.html

Wow!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 01:17:09 PM by tony » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 01:22:50 PM »

Yes, it s a wonderful song, mostly written by Andy Paley. It's complete on the soundtrack and one of Brian's best recent songs.
Rodney is a good friend of mine and I worked at his club in the late 90's as a DJ for a few years.
He's a great guy, a true legend and he deserves all the attention in the world.
I would recommend everyone here to buy the DVD and soundtrack immediately.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »

There was quite an undercurrent of sadness throuought this flick. The way his mom abandoned him outside of Connie Francis's house. Also, on the surface it looks like he leads a charmed life. Problem is, he came across to me at least as an unhappy but still loveable fella.
Very cool that you worked for him , Ian.
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 04:42:08 PM »

Unfortunately, the track is not available from iTunes. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »

Fortunately, the tune is available at your local record store or Internet retailer on a soundtrack FULL of great songs. Buy it, you won't be sorry.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 04:57:26 PM »

I just listened to that song for the first time. Cool.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 09:58:18 PM »

I saw the film when it came out, and I just rented the DVD about a week or so ago.
BTW- you must check out the outtake interviews. Particularly the Brian/Elvis Costello interview.
Brian just being Brian in his living room.

Very interesting. Yes, the man has been personally involved in promoting the careers of many of our favorite people.
And yes, the overall spin of the edit was a sad, reflective one in the end. But I just ended up seeing him as a unique
character that never really outgrew that simple, pure era of any true music lover. The era where you lived and died
with regard to your music and your friends totally understood because they got it.

The funny thing is that everyone reaches a point in their lives where they say (or think) 'what's in it for me?'
And I don't mean that in a bad way - only that we have to grow, fall in love, buy houses, or whatever rawks our boat
(so to speak). He seems to be completely unaffected, genuine, and a little lacking in the cynicism that comes with age
(maybe that's why Brian counts him as a friend). A typical 30 to 50 year old would shmoose his way into a power position in
a major label, but Rodney just wants to spin the rekids and dig those sounds.

Good for Rodney, although I think that some of the cats that he has promoted should still be looking out for him and
making sure that financially he gets by. Personally, it would be intersting if David Bowie visited Rodney's home and kicked
back like 'just plain folks.' Ditto for Brian. But I guess that's just the proletariat in me comin' out.

He seems like a totally friendly easy going feller, although I think I'd rather be drinking with Kim Fowley!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 10:13:19 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 12:47:50 AM »

although I think I'd rather be drinking with Kim Fowley!

You don't, trust me! The fantasy is much better than the reality.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 05:17:12 AM »

There've been some interesting posts about this track on the Imagination list at Yahoo

Wink
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 08:14:31 AM »

If you take a look at the unreleased footage from the film, you see that Rodney comes off like a much less sad/pathetic individual. That was the spin the filmmakers were looking for -- oh, the forgotten, sad Rodney, all alone. But then you see the unused footage of him in England where they're revering him like a god and it doesn't make as much sense - I guess that stuff didn't fit the image of Rodney they were trying to construct.

Kim is creepy. I saw him and his "manservant" last time I was in LA. He's a scary, scary guy.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 12:21:28 PM »

I used to play keyboards in a band fronted by a rather shall we say, tonedeaf well-endowed woman singer named Daria.
She was always spinning yarns about all of her 'industry contacts', and one of them involved Kim Fowley.
Apparently once our 'tour' (total fiction) reached LA we were supposed to work with Kim who promised
Daria that he was going to make her a star.  Roll Eyes

Given her track record, any of her stories should be taken with a grain of salt although I'm sure if Kim put his
eyes on her he'd try to work his sinister charms. Could've been true, who knows?

To me he came off like a total gadfly in the film. Seems like he'd be hell to work with but probably an entertaining
bon vivant once the liquor order arrived at the table. Didn't Bruce work with/hang out with Kim in the early days?
Wonder what Brian thought of Kim Fowley? Probably a little too intense for our hero.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 01:05:34 PM »

If you take a look at the unreleased footage from the film, you see that Rodney comes off like a much less sad/pathetic individual. That was the spin the filmmakers were looking for -- oh, the forgotten, sad Rodney, all alone. But then you see the unused footage of him in England where they're revering him like a god and it doesn't make as much sense - I guess that stuff didn't fit the image of Rodney they were trying to construct.

Kim is creepy. I saw him and his "manservant" last time I was in LA. He's a scary, scary guy.

True, but Rodney's life isn't the happiest, I can tell you that. But he's happier since the film.

forgetemarie
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 04:11:45 PM »

Bruce Johnston went to high school with Kim Fowley.  They were in bands together when they were that age.  There's some connection with Phil Spector, too, but I forget what. 

Rodney has integrity, I'll give him that much.  He's a true enterpreneur, and has lived life the way he wanted to.  Sure, he seems like a lonely guy, but people that do all the expected stuff often wind up unfulfilled, too.   I did find that film exploitive.  It seemed that George Hickenlooper was trying to make Rodney look like a pathetic, has-been, rock groupie Peter Pan.  But George put Mick Jagger in one of his movies, so he must have a bit of star****** in him, too. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 04:22:55 PM »

Yes, it's true that Hickenlooper had his own agenda and that Rodney was unhappy with his portrayal in the film.
But I think George had to make a traditional film-type story out of a complicated life, and he went for the drama, as any good filmmaker would. I think the story tells too much for Rodney's taste, it hits too close to home.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx