gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:10:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Symbolism on the cover of 15 Big Ones?  (Read 5900 times)
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »

I'm curious if this has been looked into.

On the cover, only Brian and Dennis are smiling. Directly opposite, we have Carl and Mike with a much more somber expression.

Was this intentional?

Also, you'll notice Al has his back to the rest of them. Could this be further symbolism of him turning a blind eye to the Wilson family's inner workings?

I would like your thoughts.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »

It was designed by Dean Torrence. He's still around. Perhaps somebody could ask him. In a BBFUN interview he said that, aside from the Olympics reference, he chose colors (blue and orange) that were scientifically proven to attract the eye (sic).

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:58:04 PM »

I'm curious if this has been looked into.

On the cover, only Brian and Dennis are smiling. Directly opposite, we have Carl and Mike with a much more somber expression.

Was this intentional?

Also, you'll notice Al has his back to the rest of them. Could this be further symbolism of him turning a blind eye to the Wilson family's inner workings?

I would like your thoughts.

Honestly, I think it's just a really bad cover and you're making too much of it.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »

And Paul is the only one who is barefooted and doesn't tread on the white stripes.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:56 PM »

...and if you play the last 10 seconds of  Back Home backwards on the vinyl release you can clearly hear Denis whisper "I buried Saul"
Z

Make waves, not love
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »

I think his pic from the same era is more laden… tapes? Fanfares?

“We live in divisive times.”
SBonilla
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:03:37 AM »

This pic looks a little bit spur of the moment. Like the band was called out to the alley behind Brother Studios for a quick shot. It was like someone said, "grab a plant from reception, a chair from the studio and a reel of tape," for props. Earle Mankey had a van, could that have been his?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »

...and if you play the last 10 seconds of  Back Home backwards on the vinyl release you can clearly hear Denis whisper "I buried Saul"
Z

If you play TM song backwards it actually sounds better.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:34:57 AM by Ovi » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »

This pic looks a little bit spur of the moment. Like the band was called out to the alley behind Brother Studios for a quick shot. It was like someone said, "grab a plant from reception, a chair from the studio and a reel of tape," for props. Earle Mankey had a van, could that have been his?

More from the same session:

And similar attire for everyone except Dennis:

...and if you play the last 10 seconds of  Back Home backwards on the vinyl release you can clearly hear Denis whisper "I buried Saul"
Z

If you play TM song backwards it actually sounds better.
LOL
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »

Some bizarre hybrid of '76 Olympics nationalism BS and American Graffiti-fueled nostalgia, that cover is an utter abomination. Looking for meaning or symbolism in such a tossed-off piece of shite is absurd.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:35 AM »

Oh this is an easy one.  There is most definitely heavy symbolism at work there.  The cover was awful as a subliminal warning that you were about to buy an awful album.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »

Dennis: Carl. What the f***, man. Why'd you bring the reel out here?
Carl: It's cool, it's cool, don't worry about it.
Brian: Why are we doing this? I was in the middle of watching a really good show.
Dennis: Hey, this coffee sucks I just realized. We should get a new machine or something. And sh*t, styrofoam cups...why don't we get some nice espresso cups with saucers?
Mike: Everyone, please! Just look into the camera. Make sure your props are visible. Look serious.
Carl: I got it, Mike.
Dennis: Yeah, he's got the fuckin' tape.
Brian: How long do I need to hold this pose? This chair sucks.
Mike: Brian. Come on. Please. Look at Al, he's doing just fine. You don't hear Al complaining, do you?
Al: Naw, I'm not complainin'.
Dennis: This is bullshit. Why is the plant out here? Who brought that out? Carl?
Carl: Don't sweat it, Denny.
Dennis: You just better not lose that tape, bro.
Mike: Symbolism, Dennis, SYMBOLISM. This cover's gonna have layers, lots of room for interpretation.
Brian: I gotta go, guys. I can't do this anymore.
Al: Hey Brian, foosball later on? After dinner?
Mike: You will not go just yet, BRIAN.
Al: Hey Mike, play us a song on that thing. You know any good ones?
Mike: Al?
Al: Hey, I just realized, where's Bruce? Shouldn't we have told him about the photo?
Mike: AL?
Al: Sorry.
Mike: How's it goin', Earle? Any good shots yet? Hold on, I'm gonna switch to the claymore. Everyone stay put!

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »

Dennis: Man, this is a drag. Do you know how many other things I could be doing right now instead of this sh*t?
Al: Aw, it’s not so bad, Denny. It’s kind of like the old days again, gettin’ together for a shoot and a session and all.
Brian: (sigh)
Al: Hey, Bri, remember that guy, that old friend of yours, Loren what's-his-name? Schwartz! That was it, Schwartz. He was somethin’ else, wasn’t he? Real cool cat, that guy.
Al: Had a whole different vibe about him or somethin’, really tuned in. I don’t know, I’m just reminiscing is all.
Brian: Al, come on, no. Don’t. I don’t... That’s not…no. Come on.
Al: No but, Brian, remember how he protected you? He was like your guardian angel, he healed you. Golly, I’d go as far as to say he SAVED you, Bri. Remember? I mean, the guy pretty much single-handedly did a great service to all mankind by introducing you to cool books and LA hipsters. You guys agree or what? I mean, Brian wouldn’t be the genius we know him to be today if it weren’t for Lor.
Mike: Al. We don’t talk about that guy. Understand?
Al: Alright, fine. I’m just sayin’, I liked the guy, you know? And, shucks, he liked me too. We were straight with each other. Guy was real swell, didn’t give a f*** what anyone thought of him. Real groovy ideas on women and socioeconomic class, too.
Brian: AL!
Carl: Hey, real quick, should I have my left hand over right or right over left? What looks better?
Mike: That’s not really important, Carl. I appreciate your commitment to this, but let’s focus on the bigger picture.
Dennis: Hey, what the f***, is that Bruce over by the garbage? What’s he doing?
Mike: How does this thing look next to the plant like this? Next to the plant or on the other side, away from the plant?
Al: You know, Bri, in a few years, thanks to the sage wisdom of Loren, Mar is gonna leave you. It's gonna be just like how he got you to get rid of Murry. And watch it, Mike, you're next!
Dennis: Hey Brian, I’m just thinkin’ aloud here, something about seeing Bruce rummaging through the trash that got me thinkin’ … This is a little out there, but … Suppose one day there's a bunch of maniacs who get together on a daily basis to talk about us and you and Mike and specific dates and sh*t like old bags of potato chips...  
Brian: Yeah?
Dennis: What if they were to ask you a bunch of questions. Lots of them, just hurling them all at you, you know? About sh*t you don’t care about and don’t want to be thinking about.
Brian: Well, Dennis ... I guess I don’t think I really understand your question.
Al: Yeah, that’s pretty far out, Denny. What do you mean by that anyway?
Brian: I guess I would answer all the questions very insightfully, Dennis.
Dennis: Hey, thanks for that answer, Brian! Really appreciate you doing that, you're the best! Can't wait to hear what you're working on next. Best of luck to you.
Al: Denny, you're actin' pretty weird. What gives?
Mike: God dammit, are we a diseased bunch of mo'fos! Can we just get this shot?
Carl: Hey, I’m good to go, Mike. I got this.
Mike: You’re doin’ a fine job, Carl, and I can appreciate that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:10:11 PM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:44:47 AM »

Dennis: Man, this is a drag. Do you know how many other things I could be doing right now instead of this sh*t?
Al: Aw, it’s not so bad, Denny. It’s kind of like the old days again, gettin’ together for a shoot and a session and all.
Al: Hey, Bri, remember that guy, that old friend of yours, Loren what's-his-name? Schwartz! That was it, Schwartz. He was somethin’ else, wasn’t he? Real cool cat, that guy.
Al: Had a whole different vibe about him or somethin’, really tuned in. I don’t know, I’m just reminiscing is all.
Al: No but, Brian, remember how he protected you? He was like your guardian angel, he healed you. Golly, I’d go as far as to say he SAVED you, Bri. Remember? I mean, the guy pretty much single-handedly did a great service to all mankind by introducing you to cool books and LA hipsters. You guys agree or what? I mean, Brian wouldn’t be the genius we know him to be today if it weren’t for Lor.
Al: Alright, fine. I’m just sayin’, I liked the guy, you know? And, shucks, he liked me too. We were straight with each other. Guy was real swell, didn’t give a f*** what anyone thought of him. Real groovy ideas on women and socioeconomic class, too.
Carl: Hey, real quick, should I have my left hand over right or right over left? What looks better?
Mike: That’s not really important, Carl. I appreciate your commitment to this, but let’s focus on the bigger picture.
Mike: How does this thing look next to the plant like this? Next to the plant or on the other side, away from the plant?
Al: You know, Bri, in a few years, thanks to the sage wisdom of Loren, Mar is gonna leave you. It's gonna be just like how he got you to get rid of Murry. And watch it, Mike, you're next!
Dennis: Hey Brian, I’m just thinkin’ aloud here, something about seeing Bruce rummaging through the trash that got me thinkin’ … This is a little out there, but … Suppose one day there's a bunch of maniacs who get together on a daily basis to talk about us and you and Mike and specific dates and sh*t like old bags of potato chips... 
Dennis: What if they were to ask you a bunch of questions. Lots of them, just hurling them all at you, you know? About sh*t you don’t care about and don’t want to be thinking about.
Brian: Well, Dennis ... I guess I don’t think I really understand your question.

You win the forum, sir. Best post on Smiley SMiLE I have EVER seen! LOL

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »

You win the forum, sir. Best post on Smiley SMiLE I have EVER seen! LOL

I concur, A++++
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »

I have queried this on this MB previously without an answer. How did they get away with using the Olympic logo? I don't think much either way for how the cover actually looks apart from Brian looking like sh*t  Tongue. They definitely should have used another photo of him.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »

it's all Illuminati symbols...  LOL
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 08:48:21 PM »

Dennis: Hey, I thought we all agreed to shave our beards off for this shoot!
Mike: April Fools mutherfuka.
Carl: Hey Brian, guess what I found on this old reel? The second movement to Surf's Up. Maybe we should put it on the new album?
Mike: That avant garde sh*t? No way! Our fans want fun, relatable songs and odes to TM, right Brian?
Brian: I want a cheese pizza.
Al: Can somebody help me get out of this van, I think the door's jammed.
Carl: Now Brian, you know what Landy said. Absolutely no cocaine, no booze and no fatty foods.
Brian: Whoa guys! Maybe it's just an acid flashback but I think I've just had a vision from the future.
Al: Can somebody please help me with this door? Mike you're closest.
Brian: Oh my god Mike, you're going to sue me like, about 30 times. I'm going to have to keep pumping out albums 'till I'm an old man just to pay my legal fees. I'm gonna make this really shitty album with a bunch of nobodies, who I've never heard of singing all over it. Man what a drag!
Al: Why is no one helping me!!??
Dennis: Hey my coffee tastes funny! And why's there a ginger pube floating in it?
Mike: (Snigger)
Brian: (Sighs). I wish I was home in bed, snorting big fat lines off a 15" pizza with extra cheese.
Mike: Easy there big guy, not 'till the album's finished.
Al: (Screaming) GUYS, IF YOU DON'T GET ME OUTTA THIS VAN RIGHT NOW I'M GONNA f*** YOU ALL UP, BIG TIME!
Brian: OK, let's get back to work.

The guys trudge back into the studio.

Carl: Hey, has anyone seen Al today?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:24:28 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »

Carl: Da Bearssss! Da Bearsss!
Mike: Bearsss! Bearssss! Bearssss!
Al: Da Bullsss! Da Bullsss!
Dennis: Ditka! Ditka! Ditka!
Brian: Polish sausage! Polish sausage!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »

LOL, did Earle really take these?  Because I'll ask him what they really DID say...
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 02:42:15 AM »

Looking at the above photos makes me wonder what ever happened to other images of obese Brian  Huh

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »

Dennis: Hey, thanks for that answer, Brian! Really appreciate you doing that, you're the best! Can't wait to hear what you're working on next. Best of luck to you.
Al: Denny, you're actin' pretty weird. What gives?

Forget post of the year, this is post of the century! A++++++++++++++++

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »

The cover did give us the 'Beach Boys' logo, which has become pretty iconic over the years.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx