-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:59:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Zo You Think You Can Dance
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zo You Think You Can Dance  (Read 13263 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM »

"I only celebrate it," O'Neal said, "when it's really over. ... The job is not done."
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 08:54:39 PM by Buckwheat » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:49:21 PM »

The Heat is on! w00t!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 09:13:45 PM »

You mean that there are still folks supporting a sport where the players have to go on strike because the average salary is only areound $2 million and the athletes were struggling to make mortgage payments like everyone else?  As if they would have health issues a la football players in life?  I NEVER went back to the NBA after that strike and I never will again.

College football -- now that's where it's at.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 09:22:23 PM »

Jeff, next fall make sure you head over to the Other Topics board at Shut Down.  We've got a bunch of college football freaks over there...the thread is a million-and-two seller every year!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 09:23:10 PM »

Jeff, next fall make sure you head over to the Other Topics board at Shut Down.  We've got a bunch of college football freaks over there...the thread is a million-and-two seller every year!

Oh - and on the strength of i like Dirk Nowitski, Go, Mavs!

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 05:05:10 AM »

"As if they would have health issues a la football players in life?"

I'm not at all certain what that means.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 06:09:59 AM »

"As if they would have health issues a la football players in life?"

I'm not at all certain what that means.

In the case of pro football players, they often have health issues due to playing injuries or wear and tear that in the worst extreme can chew up all of the money that they made playing football.  Plus, the time available for a career is most often much shorter (less than 8 years on average) and the first contract is never too good if you aren't a top 10 draft pick.  So if a pro football player complains about salary, I have some sympathy.  Besides, the average salary is below that of a basketball player.

But an NBA player....  Playing basketball won't cause permanent damage in most cases.  Players can often play for years and years if ability allows.  And the minimum salary and average salary are relatively HUGE since you have fewer players to divide up the pie with.  Now when people in THAT circumstance say that they have to strike because they need the money?  They can barely make mortgage payments? (someone, please give me $2 million dollars and I can assure you I will no longer HAVE a mortgage payment EVER).  That was a huge turnoff, and that WAS said in the strike.  Plus, NBA culture has taken a downturn and I don't like it.  There are too many people that I would think of as almost thugs, and the NBA itself seems powerless to police itself if an independent counsel can throw out penalties enforced by league offices for flagrant violations of league rules (IMO EVERY player in the Indiana/Detroit game who went into the crowd needed a suspension and fine of some sort). 

So let them do what they want.  Once I cared a bit, but now I am just not interested.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 06:20:33 AM »

Agreed Jeff, but its happened in almost every sport already. Basketball, Hockey, Baseball (every few years now)...

Still, I'll root for the Heat and Dolphins up to my grave...

--
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 06:52:37 AM »

See, that's why I am a fan of college football.  There is no purity in any sport left but IMO cf comes closest....
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 08:52:11 AM »

Ive always enjoyed college sports because theres more spirit and heart in it. But college has its dark demons as well, theres been as much controversy as there is in pro-ball. :/

--
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 12:19:26 PM »

Anecdotal, but, I hear of plenty of college sport violations, college football included.

The NBA is enforcing a dress code to help remedy part of the "thugness" you spoke of.

Which players who went into the stands did not receive a penalty of any sort?

Here's some interesting info on the strike:

League: NBA
Year Of Strike: 1998-1999
Days Strike Lasted: 191
Games Lost: 928

The NBA was experiencing its highest ratings and revenue prior to the strike, thanks in large part to the impact of Michael Jordan. Facing a season shortened to 50 games -- and without Jordan -- it hoped its good fortune would continue. It didn't.

Even though the strike lasted just three months and didn't impact the playoffs, NBA players lost a fortune -- $50 million a week and roughly $500 million in total salary. Not to mention the millions in potential earnings they lost after a salary cap was instituted to contain spending. Commissioner David Stern announced that even though 2004 attendance is up, current NBA revenue for many teams is dropping. He didn't, however, release the exact numbers.

Players also suffered a hit in terms of endorsement deals, as a number of companies suspended payments to NBA players under contract during the strike. Nike was employing 230 NBA players at the time and suspended payments to all of them.

In terms of ratings, the NBA has gone from an 18.7 in the final NBA game before the strike -- Game 6 of Chicago versus Utah -- to a finals average of 8.2 in 2003. And a playoff game for 2004 was even clobbered in the ratings by the NFL draft, posting a rating of 1. With a $4.6 billion TV contract signed with ABC in 2002, the NBA won't see that kind of money again unless the ratings pick up.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_100/107b_sports_business.html

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 12:28:17 PM »

The average football career is 3.5 to 4 years and when it ends, the money is gone.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ESPNSports/story?id=1528986

There are many factors that influence a players' success at levels above public school athletics. The probability of reaching the highest levels of competition is small. In basketball in the USA, only three-percent of high school players will ever play in college. Of that group, only three-percent play professional basketball. Even when succeeding against these odds, the average professional basketball player's career is only four to six years (Leonard, 1996).

http://www.coachesinfo.com/article/7/

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 12:37:23 PM »

Shaq getting the cold shoulder from Jeff:

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 12:39:03 PM »

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »

4-6 years? bs. I wanna see the numbers they used to come up with that average...

--
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »

I researched it and found that my memory was faulty; only one player's suspension was reduced.  But even that makes me angry -- there was no excuse for that behavior, and for the players' union to even try to defend it in anyway was offensive.  This is also a league that suffers players choking coaches and other acts of extreme arrogance. 

I don't feel sorry for them losing money during the strike.  Their choice to do it.  Had they been saving their money and investing it as they should, they should have been OK.  The problem is that these players learn early on to be arrogant and believe that there are no consequences to bad behavior that can't be overcome.

And yes, as I indicated before, college sports aren't pure either.  Nothing is.  But they are in their imperfect form far more enjoyable than the Look-at-me fest that the NBA has become.  I feel no sympathy for their reduced ratings at all, nor did I feel sympathy for baseball (which is its own idiot problem -- how could you possibly resist steriod testing for so long and think no consequence would happen?) or hockey (do you think that this is established enough that you could endure losing an entire season and stay at the same level?).
Kirk Lowdermilk
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 02:49:20 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IVUAc7Hr3Fs&search=elvis%20dumervil

Some uplifting college football action from last season.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 02:56:53 PM »

THere is plenty of culpability to spread around the baseball world for steroids.  Owners/the commissioner saw revenues increasing hugely when players started taking steroids.  They did nothing to stop the drug use because it equated with more money in everybody's pockets.  And sports journalists and fans enjoyed a more exciting game...so they - we - didn't say anything.  Now the chickens are coming home to roost re: rampant steroid use in the late '90s and ealry '00s, and we're all pointing fingers at the players?  I think we need to use more fingers here.

As for college football being closest to pure amongst the popular sports, i have to disagree.  Those programs are SO not pure...between alums forking over money and goodies, drug use to increase performance, and non-participation in classes, i don't see how you can find a whole lot of purity, Jeff.  College hoops isn't much better, but it is SOME better.

NCAA baseball might be the most pure among the college sports, if only because MLB doesn't use the NCAA as its minor leagues.  The NFL and the NBA both do - hence the pressure on the student-atheletes that leads to the aforementioned drug use, money schemes, etc.  At least MLB has its one farm system, under its rules and regulations.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 03:20:48 PM »

College hoops is only better because NBA-caliber players have not had to go to college in years.  We get them now for one year (watch out for them Buckeyes as a result next year!), but those who will be making money in many if not most cases never even go to school anymore.  So everyone in school knows that most likely that is their one shot.  So that is why it is "better" -- even if the caliber of play is not what it was 15 years ago.

College football is corrupt in many ways, but it is not in your face every few minutes the way most pro sports are.  Of the pro sports, football is the least offensive because they use some common sense in running the league.  NCAA baseball would be fine, I guess, if you were a huge baseball fan.  But I only enjoy baseball in person; I can't hack watching it on TV or radio.  But NCAA football?  You have to pry me from that in the fall.

And besides, in what other sport can I say that, thanks to a prize my wife won for us, I have been to see my alma mater play for and win the BCS Championship IN PERSON?  One of the greatest vacations/nights of my life.  Go Sooners!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »

Oh-ho!  I see how you are!
;-)

I love my Mets on the radio - don't really need tv for baseball at all, personally.  And you're right about college hoops - the quality of play has declined as guys leave after a year or two.  I think starting next year the NBA will have an age requirement [19years?] that will mean all of them either go to college or sit for a year...but they're still not going to hang around for four.

Which is too bad.  When you do get to see the rare team that's been together for a few years, they're really sight to behold!

Never been a college gridiron fan except for the first two Fairbanks years at Colorado...and the few years since then when they haven't been piteous.  I'm not much more of a pro football fan, but at least it's confined to the weekends.  Mets and college hoops for me...

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 05:25:02 AM »

Still not watching this.  But as I check up on the news, I can't help but see this.  My reaction....?

Oops. 

Sorry, Chuck....
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 10:53:09 AM »

Thanks Jeff.  I don't think Detroit wilted so badly as Miami is now.  Hurts to watch. 

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 10:55:06 AM »

Its ok, its A-ok. Let the Mavs feel the glory for a while. Watch us sweep the next 3, lose game 6 and take the championship home in game 7.

THE HEAT IS ON! w00t!

--
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 12:04:04 PM »

Its ok, its A-ok. Let the Mavs feel the glory for a while. Watch us sweep the next 3, lose game 6 and take the championship home in game 7.

THE HEAT IS ON! w00t!

So far so good, Joe...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 12:42:50 PM »

3D

--
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up