gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:00:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should old guys play rock n' roll?  (Read 5931 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »

I don’t post here often, but I visit quite regularly.  I know there are quite a few folks here who are much younger than I, and I was just wondering what you guys (and girls) think about older guys playing rock n’ roll.  I have been playing in bands since 1973, and I will be 50 years old this summer.  Throughout the ‘90s, I played in a band with a guy that had been in The Grass Roots in the late ‘60s and early ‘70s, and he has got to be nearly 10 years older than I am.  In the last couple of years I have gone to see a bunch of my old favorite musicians/bands play.  I got to see McCartney a couple of times, Simon and Garfunkel, Smokey Robinson, The Allman Bros., The Moody Blues, and Brian Wilson, among others.  This summer Steely Dan will be close by, and this fall Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young are coming through my state.  I really enjoyed all of these concerts, and there were lots of younger folks at most of these shows.  I still enjoy playing out, but when I think back to when I was in my 20s, though, I remember thinking that rock music should never, ever be played by old farts.  I was just curious to see what your opinions were about this subject.  Can you be entertained by a dinosaur rocker?  Is it still rock n’ roll?   
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:35:59 AM »

worst comes to worst just have a bunch of bikini clad ladies on stage and you'll be a-ok. Thumbs Up

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:54:49 AM »

More old guys should play rock and roll. It keeps you young. I think with the speed in which more people are approaching 50 and over, old guys doing rock and roll will be (and is) quite acceptable. So shake that grey hair, leave the bifocals on the amp, and try to remember the words...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:30:04 AM »

The issue these days is most of the popular music sucks. People who enjoy rock and roll, like me, are stuck listening to our albums from the 70's and 80's. My last concerts attended in the last 5 years were: Brian Wilson (three times), The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel & Elton John, KISS, Poison w/Cinderella & Dokken, and Steely Dan.

I am a fan of people making good music and me enjoying it. I've also seen Aerosmith 3 times since 1991 and have been to several Steve Miller Band shows, and 2 Ringo and his All-Starrs.

Today's music is sh*t and we have to leave it to the experts. Keep rocking. 
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »

Yes...old farts should continue to play rock.  Basically...Rock is "old-timers" music anymore anyway.  So I don't think those in their teens and twenties are offended because what they listen to today is not really rock per say....I'm not sure they consider the pop music of today rock.  It's post-punk, post-rap, grunge...take your pick.

I think if a bunch of old guys went out and played Green Day, Linkin Park, and the like....that is less than tasteful IMO.

Face the fact...rock is not rebelious or dangerous anymore.  It's the 21st Century version of the Ray Coniff Singers.  BTW....I continue to play out weekly and I'm 45 years old.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 11:06:57 AM »

Ever see Dick Dale? He's frickin' crazy and has to be pushing 70, best guitarist I've ever seen live.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 12:24:05 PM »

worst comes to worst just have a bunch of bikini clad ladies on stage and you'll be a-ok. Thumbs Up

Nothing worst about bikini-clad ladies. (Sorry, poor taste.)

Anyone should play whatever he or she wants to. Anyone should listen to whatever he or she wants to. You've got to understand that most of the younger generation will frown on the music of the aging rockers as irrelevant and past tense, and you've got to assume that the fans of the old guys will say (as someone above this post did, a few posts back) that the new music is sh*t.

Both are wrong, by the way. Old music is often relevant, new music is often good. And vice versa. Good music is good. And to argue about what that is, go to the "Is This For Real?" thread. I'm not getting into that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »

Yes.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
SG7
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 12:40:18 PM »

As long as they play good  Smiley
Wilsonista
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:34:57 PM »

Ditto to the poster who mentioned Dick Dale. That guy is one badass motherfucker who can wipe the floor with all of the heavy metal and punk poseurs that  have picked up Strats since the 60's!!!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 06:06:28 PM »

I think Rock & Roll is all about energy, power, passion... and while it's easy to see that someone in their teens or their twenties has more energy and such than maybe someone in their 50's, I think if somebody is passionate about the music it goes a long way.  So if I see an old man on stage playing guitar, I don't usually think "oh god, he's old", I think "wow, he's still got it" or "man, that guy's got heart" or something similar. 

So rock on, man.  50's not old, anyways.  65 is getting old... but even that's no death sentence.  It's all about your passion and spirit, and with some people, that never dies.

I'm 27.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 06:45:59 PM »

short answer:

HELL YES!!!

I'm 45 in October, just as a point of reference.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 09:44:24 PM »

Anyone should play whatever he or she wants to. Anyone should listen to whatever he or she wants to. You've got to understand that most of the younger generation will frown on the music of the aging rockers as irrelevant and past tense, and you've got to assume that the fans of the old guys will say (as someone above this post did, a few posts back) that the new music is merda.

Both are wrong, by the way. Old music is often relevant, new music is often good. And vice versa. Good music is good. And to argue about what that is, go to the "Is This For Real?" thread. I'm not getting into that.

Fantastic post.  I was gonna add something, but you basically took the words right out of my mouth in a far more eloquent fashion, Luther.  :D

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 07:12:38 AM »

Wait a minute, I must've read that wrong. Did you mean "you're an asshole, you don't know what you're talking about, you need to hear [some unreleased song]?" Because that's what I'm more used to.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 07:13:26 AM »

Should old guys play rock-music? Of course, of course!!!

Rock'n'Roll is basically about fucking the rules. Then why should there be rules about the age?
I still remember watching Live8 last year, seeing The Who, and thinking "These guys look a lot cooler and rock harder then most of the younger bands during these concerts".

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 09:09:43 AM »

They should keep rockin.  But do it gracefully.  The Stones on the Superbowl looked ridiculous.

In contrast, McCartney looked fine on his Superbowl appearence.

And as for age, I'm not telling...but I will say that I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 12:22:38 PM »

Yes, old guys should play rock'n'roll but only if they haven't lost their rock'n'roll spirit.

I get bugged at folks my age who don't go out and see real rock'n'roll being performed. A few weeks ago I saw authentic rockabilly & skiffle combos do it right and naturally the club was empty. That bugs me.

Then I get mad when folks who used to play rock'n'roll the proper way change stuff and add stuff into the mix and ruin the whole thing.

And don't slow the music down too much, and don't speed it up too much. Let it swing in the proper rock'n'roll fashion and everything is going to be fine.

We're talking about rock'n'roll right?

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »

And as for age, I'm not telling...but I will say that I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert.

...Haha...As for age, I'm not telling either, but my 1st concert was the Who, and the new song was "Won't get Fooled again"

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »

Me too.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 08:10:29 PM »

Me too and Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 04:08:52 PM »

Being a sentimental sap, I love to see the old guard out there doing it, especially the "legends".

I sometimes take for granted how many of the greats are still around, and still performing. Because I don't get the chance to see them live as much as I'd like, I wish they would be featured with more TV concerts. Look who's still around and occasionally performing: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Paul and Ringo, Ray Davies, The Rolling Stones, Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger, Lou Reed, and John Fogerty - just to name a few.

How many times do you see an obituary posted on a message board and go "Damn".

I'd give anything just to see Johnny Cash growling "Folsom Prison Blues" again, or even Frank Sinatra swingin' with his big band...
MBE
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 08:07:57 PM »

Well I see Jerry Lee Lewis on TV and he still rocks. I fully intend never to stop loving rock. The Beach Boys do it for the wrong reasons but Brian himself seems to still care. It think If it still means something to you stay with it. Just don't do it for $$$$ only.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 08:25:59 PM »

I've just been watching the Cream Reunion DVD.  Those old guys can still ROCK!  And they don't look ridiculous like the Stones.  As Ginger Baker says, "We never jumped around on stage then and we won't do it now".  Also, they were able to make the music sound new and fresh.  As Jack Bruce said, "There's nothing worse than being a tribute band to yourself."   Which, of course, is what Mike Love is doing.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 04:57:01 AM »

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.  As I said, I still enjoy playing out, and if I didn't have that passion for playing, I wouldn't be doing it.  About 6 or 7 years ago I had to take a little break from playing (about a year and a half, actually) because I felt that I was just going through the motions, giving soulless performances.  I didn't so much as pick up a guitar for much of that 18 months.  When I got that desire. that need, back, I found that even though I was rusty at first, I was playing as well as, if not better than ever.  So, thanks again for your opinions, and I am definitely going to keep shakin' my long gray hair around for awhile.

LostArt... 
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 05:31:18 AM »

Absolutely "old guys" should still play out!
I play in the Philly based cover band "Acoustically Challenged".We play 3 weekends a month at 7 different club/bars
and I'll tell ya what.....from what people have told me we wipe out 95% of the bands in our area!
Our drummer is 50;our Bass player and rhythm guitarist/singer are both 45.And I'm a young 43.Being an onstage muscian IS a drug.Age should never have anything to do with following your Passion.And YES...it does keep you young playing every weekend,meeting tons of women,free drinks,and getting paid to play your instrument!! Not bad for "old men".Well,not that old.  LOL
Big Bri
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx