gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:41:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: BRIAN WILSON Q&A  (Read 19900 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:15:51 AM »

A new forum has been created specifically for the Q&A event with Brian Wilson scheduled for Monday. A special post has been created there with all details, descriptions of how the Q&A will be taking place, and all other pertinent information. PLEASE read that announcement in the new forum prior to posting anything there. That forum is in place specifically and only to post your questions to Brian, and is the forum which Brian will be replying to during the session itself.

Please address any comments, questions, or other issues and concerns to this thread only. Again, the new forum is specifically for the Q&A. Anything else will be deleted immediately.

Anyone repeatedly violating or ignoring these points will be subject to an immediate ban.

This announcement is being posted just over 24 hours prior to Brian's appearance on the board. If you have a question, please post it there. If you have already posted a question which you would like Brian to see on Monday to one of the "informal" question threads, you must repost it in the new Q&A forum according to the instructions posted there. If you are aware of anyone who may want to post a question but might not consider logging in today, perhaps you could contact them and let them know what's happening. Get the questions in now, in the specific forum for them, and it will be ready to go tomorrow.

Again, please post comments or questions about the session here, and not in the new event forum.

Thanks!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:31:25 AM »

The subject box is specific about the number of letters you can use as a title.  As such...there really isn't enough allowance to be able to post anything meaningful question wise.  Can you guys free up the space to be able to type in maybe 3 times the number of letters than might normally be the case?  Double anyway?

Thanks.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:34:18 AM »

The subject box is specific about the number of letters you can use as a title.  As such...there really isn't enough allowance to be able to post anything meaningful question wise.  Can you guys free up the space to be able to type in maybe 3 times the number of letters than might normally be the case?  Double anyway?

Thanks.

This issue was raised (I'll check on the lettering limit, though), but the way it's being done is to allow the basic topic of the question to appear, then the "new topics" can be opened as they're seen and answered like a regular post by Brian. It will be easier to see the ones which have been replied to already.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:35 AM »

Sorry.  I thought the instructions said post the question in the topic/subject window and repeat it in the message box.  No?  So...just the gist of the question in the window and then the full question in the message box is the route to take?

Or wait 'til you guys decide which way to go?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:46:17 AM »

We may need to work with the limitations. If the question has too many words, try this:

TOPIC: Touring in 2015?

Avoid "Hi Brian!" "Welcome Brian" types of comments and post the general topic of the question. Most should be ok. Use the message body itself to word your questions.

EDIT: Our fellow board member "Challenger Putney" just posted a perfect example of how this will work best in the new forum. Thanks, Challenger!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:48:07 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:49:24 AM »

OK...Thanks.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:39:03 AM »

There's one phrase in the How-to:

"Please post one question in a new topic."

Does that mean questions are limited to one each? Just to prevent misunderstandings.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »

Does that mean questions are limited to one each? Just to prevent misunderstandings.

Micha, thanks for asking: Yes, that means one question each. Each poster can post one question, and for the limited time involved, the questions should be kept short and to the point so as many posters' questions as possible can be answered.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »

Micha, thanks for asking: Yes, that means one question each. Each poster can post one question, and for the limited time involved, the questions should be kept short and to the point so as many posters' questions as possible can be answered.

As it's limited to one question per member:
 If a member decides they want to change their question, or ask a completely different one, should they change it at their original posting or delete the first one and post a new question?  

As I haven't seen this question, is there a time limit or deadline for submitting questions?  or can they be added right up to and including while Brian is online? 

While I can't say there would be a better format, what I get from this one:  Brian will skim down the list and pick the questions most to his liking( his choice obviously) and probably not choose ones which have deep involvement or refer to anything older than the last few years. ( I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, tho)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:23:57 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »

I asked a Beach Boys reunion question. Might roll a few eyes but I'm really curious to hear an answer to it.

I'm certain all the really interesting questions will be covered by other people

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »

If a member decides they want to change their question, or ask a completely different one, should they change it at their original posting or delete the first one and post a new question?  

As I haven't seen this question, is there a time limit or deadline for submitting questions?  or can they be added right up to and including while Brian is online? 

Great questions: It would be best to go back and edit both the topic header as well as the question if anyone decides to change their posted question. This will be the best way to keep everything together with the limitations of the board, as well as time limitations.

Multiple posts from the same person will be deleted, again due to time and space requirements.

The plan is to have the questions posted up to the point where Brian starts taking them. After that, no more will be accepted, and those which are will be deleted. This is to keep the "answered" questions at the top of the list so it is known which ones have already been taken. The most recently answered topics/questions will appear at the top with a reply.

I'd also recommend having the F5 refresh button ready and waiting to keep track of everything "live".  Smiley

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »

link to the new forum: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?board=41.0
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »

Great questions: It would be best to go back and edit both the topic header as well as the question if anyone decides to change their posted question. This will be the best way to keep everything together with the limitations of the board, as well as time limitations.

Multiple posts from the same person will be deleted, again due to time and space requirements.

The plan is to have the questions posted up to the point where Brian starts taking them. After that, no more will be accepted, and those which are will be deleted. This is to keep the "answered" questions at the top of the list so it is known which ones have already been taken. The most recently answered topics/questions will appear at the top with a reply.

I'd also recommend having the F5 refresh button ready and waiting to keep track of everything "live".  Smiley

Reading thru  the member questions, I find that many of them are asking more than one question in the actual message. Will the mods be editing these to one of consensus, or eliminating those questions entirely? 

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »

There's also some redundant questions that should be cut down and one guy who will remain named - joshferrell - asked two questions. Keep the Moog one!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:20:57 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »

Anyone who posts multiple questions as different topics: Please choose one you want to keep and edit the title out of the one you're discarding, just put the word "edit" or something similar in the title so it can be seen.

Because either way, one of them is getting deleted. It has to be strictly followed for reasons already explained that only one question per board member is enforced.

There have been some posts with multiple or follow up questions, I'd strongly encourage everyone not to do this and to edit the post to make it shorter.

This was recommended specifically on the board several times: Keep it brief, and to the point. The longer and more complex the question is, the less likely you'll see an answer.

Again this is due to the time limitations which are present in almost every web chat situation (and in-person meet-and-greets for the most part with similar time constraints), unless it's open-ended. Keep the questions short and to the point, more can be taken. It is the best way to work a session like this.

Thank you to everyone for your cooperation with all of this!  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:43:40 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »

Anyone who posts multiple questions as different topics: Please choose one you want to keep and edit the title out of the one you're discarding, just put the word "edit" or something similar in the title so it can be seen.

Because either way, one of them is getting deleted. It has to be strictly followed for reasons already explained that only one question per board member is enforced.

There have been some posts with multiple or follow up questions, I'd strongly encourage everyone not to do this and to edit the post to make it shorter.

This was recommended specifically on the board several times: Keep it brief, and to the point. The longer and more complex the question is, the less likely you'll see an answer.

Again this is due to the time limitations which are present in almost every web chat situation (and in-person meet-and-greets for the most part with similar time constraints), unless it's open-ended. Keep the questions short and to the point, more can be taken. It is the best way to work a session like this.

Thank you to everyone for your cooperation with all of this!  Smiley

As you previously posted that multiple posts would be deleted, I think you should stick to your guns! Anyone that posts/has posted multiple times should have all their questions deleted AND be blocked from asking any new ones!!! 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »

In this case we're trying to balance everything out among all the other planning and preparation going on. We do what we can.

The appeal is to please read and note all of the guidelines that are posted, and stick to those guidelines. It will work out best for everyone.

Thanks.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »

REMINDER: Please, post only one question per person. We're trying to be fair and give everyone equal chance to post their question and hopefully get an answer. It's spelled out so clearly in the guidelines which were set up for this event there can be no misunderstanding. Please be fair to everyone and follow the guidelines of one post per member, as 99% of those posting have done so far.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:30:43 PM »

I'm contemplating calling my one question thread "I know there's an answer"... Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 11:53:38 PM »

Thank you, guitarfool (and Billy and Smile-Holland) for setting this up so that we can post our questions ahead of time.  I was seriously considering getting up at 4 AM for this session, which would be rather brutal for a weekday.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 02:05:45 AM »

I would also like to thank Guitarfool, Billy and Smile Holland for setting this up. There'll inevitably be some disappointment with the questions Brian does and doesn't answer but at the end of the day it's a real treat just to have a chance to ask him stuff. Let's hope it proves to be a highlight of the Smiley Smile board for all involved.

Any of those that got their questions in early starting to feel jittery that page 1 of questions might get missed entirely? :neurotic emoticon:

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 02:18:31 AM »

Any of those that got their questions in early starting to feel jittery that page 1 of questions might get missed entirely? :neurotic emoticon:

No worries on that, we'll probably extend the nr. of posts shown on one page. It will be one heck of a (long) list, but - hey - with almost 2000 members on this board that was to be expected.  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »

Thanks for doing this, guys! And smart way to structure the Q&A to keep it manageable. Very psyched to see what we get from Brian.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »

Also, I just noticed that the question I asked is identical to lee's question. Sorry lee (but hopefully it doubles our chances of an answer).  Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 08:07:46 AM »

Also, I just noticed that the question I asked is identical to lee's question. Sorry lee (but hopefully it doubles our chances of an answer).  Smiley

If you want to keep it for a better chance of getting an answer, you can, but remember you can also go back and edit both the topic and the message body to put in a different question if you think it's the same as a question already on the board. It's not too late!  Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx