gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:57:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson/Mike Love Thanksgiving gatherings  (Read 5664 times)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »

I'm still unsure what led to their current estrangement. Time has run out, though -- Brian wanted another Beach Boys record, Mike didn't, and I 'm afraid that that was their last chance at any further Wilson/Love collaborations.

I'm quite sure that ego had nothing to do with it. Nothing at all.  Roll Eyes
You know, we mock Mike because of his overweening ego, but it was his ego and his confidence that made him a good frontman. Dennis had more musical talent, more movie-star charisma, but he couldn't hack it as a frontman.

True, but there's a difference between healthy self confidence in one's abilities and ego which places oneself ahead of others and is ultimately damaging. Not that this applies to Mike. Just saying.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »

"Spring Vacation" is a tune left over from the "Imagination" era...at the time, it was called "Lay Down Burden", and was going to be a duet between Brian and Carl. When Carl and Audree got sick, Brian and Joe wrote a new song called "Lay Down Burden", and the original one went in the can. During the "TWGMTR" sessions, the tune was recut. Brian came up with the "Spring vacation" title and the "easy money, ain't life funny, what's it to ya, hallelujah" lyrics for the chorus, then gave it to Mike to supply new lyrics for the verses; that was their first collaboration in eons (well, I guess since 1995's ill fated attempt at a reunion). The other two Mike-Brian-Joe collaborations were of newer vintage, and written more-or-less from scratch. For "It's About Time", they worked with a rhythm track recorded by Jim Peterik and Larry Millas, and came up with a melody, vocal bass line and lyrics: the verses are mostly Mike's, the chorus mostly Brian's. "Beaches In Mind" just came up spontaneously during the sessions as a true "from scratch" collaboration.

Which explains why Beaches in Mind seems a bit underdeveloped to some. It just didn't get the time in the cooker it needed. I personally like all of those songs. I don't mind the "Fun in the Sun" references because this was a reunion album and, in that context, those songs were an appropriate look back to the band's early years. Not sure why people don't see this in the context of an album meant to coincide with a celebration of 50 years of the band.

Radio is well themed, if you look at it as a bit of a retrospective, and it's not like they don't let you know that's where it's going from the start. The first cut is called "Think about the days." Then it moves to "That's Why God Made the Radio," which I see as a look back to the youthful influences on the guys. Then we get a string of catchy little beachy songs meant to recall the early hits but couched a more reflective, nostalgic mode. But ultimately, just as the beach songs gave way to the introspective young adult reflections of Pet Sounds,  Radio moves to the Life Suite numbers which put it all into the perspective of these men who are now older and in the autumn of life. 

So, Mike's main contributions are in the area he prefers: Fun and sun songs about the beach. Brain kept the introspection to himself. That's pretty much the way it's always been, so.. no complaints from me.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 09:25:22 AM »

A section of Spring Vacation's melody also appears in the recent BW collab with Peter Hollens, This Special Love, aye?

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »

I'm still unsure what led to their current estrangement. Time has run out, though -- Brian wanted another Beach Boys record, Mike didn't, and I 'm afraid that that was their last chance at any further Wilson/Love collaborations.

I'm quite sure that ego had nothing to do with it. Nothing at all.  Roll Eyes
You know, we mock Mike because of his overweening ego, but it was his ego and his confidence that made him a good frontman. Dennis had more musical talent, more movie-star charisma, but he couldn't hack it as a frontman.

I agree with all your points.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx