gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:59:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Can Hear Music  (Read 9056 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 05:54:39 PM »

Hell, I *love* ATIKH. There. I said it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jardine Power!
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it clean with Al Jardine.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »

I really love "I Can Hear Music", and I think the reason a lot of people do is because it sounds like a Beach Boys original, despite being a cover. Let's face it, it's a song that was made for them to sing!!! "Kissed Her" sounds like a cover. Not that it's a bad thing, but it just doesn't sound like a "natural" BB song to me. Mind you, I heard the Beach Boys' versions of both these songs before I'd ever heard the original versions. Just my two cents. Smiley
MBE
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »

what is * ATIKH."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 09:40:29 PM »

Al thinks I Know Him.

Just kidding.

It's "And Then I Kissed Her."

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2006, 10:18:51 PM »

I don't think that Brian really wrote those liner notes. More likely ghost-written around some genuine phrases from him.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 03:15:35 AM »

Thanks for that track, Marie - i have been trying to track it down for comparison purposes and have been unable to find it. 

Yes, i prefer the BBs' version, but they certainly took it from Spector's arrangement...and this isn't bad at all.  It lacks the sparkle of Carl's arrangement, and i'm no fan of the Wall of Mud, but this actually isn't as muddy as much of his work, and it's a fine song...nice!

Thanks!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 03:21:23 AM »

Spector's arrangement
Spector did not produce the Ronettes' version, but Jeff Barry. It sounds somewhat more pedestrian than a typical Spector production.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 05:59:17 AM »

Spector's arrangement
Spector did not produce the Ronettes' version, but Jeff Barry. It sounds somewhat more pedestrian than a typical Spector production.

LOL!  Maybe that's why it doesn't sound so muddy...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 07:24:43 AM »

Look, just because I completely misread Aegir's comments on "Cottonfields" doesn't mean I can't pursue a single-minded campaign of hatred and personal destruction against him, does it? Because I was kind of looking forward to it. And I love the smell of a flame war in the morning. It smells like.....a lawsuit.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 08:06:50 AM »

Um.. hahaha

Guess I should've just played along and pretended that I didn't like the song, then.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2006, 12:24:45 AM »

I think Bluebirds may not have Brian as well. You notice that Brian can be heard on Al's version of Cottonfields but not his own? Desper told me it was Brian so no it's all Al arguments.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2006, 12:34:19 AM »

I think Bluebirds may not have Brian as well. You notice that Brian can be heard on Al's version of Cottonfields but not his own? Desper told me it was Brian so no it's all Al arguments.

You're saying he told you Brian was involved in the production of the 45 version of "Cotton Fields"?  I thought the story went that Al wasn't happy with Brian's attempt, so he re-cut it himself.

I always thought the second version of that song was Al's definitive Beach Boys moment.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
MBE
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 02:17:03 AM »

No he had nothing to do with the production. He just overdubbed a vocal part.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2006, 01:04:50 PM »

You're saying he told you Brian was involved in the production of the 45 version of "Cotton Fields"?  I thought the story went that Al wasn't happy with Brian's attempt, so he re-cut it himself.

I always thought the second version of that song was Al's definitive Beach Boys moment.

I think Al had a few definitive moments, but the Cottonfields 45 is definitely one.  That version is so cool.

As for the 20/20 liner notes, it has always bothered me that Brian took credit for producing and arranging ICHM when all authorities have it as the first big Carl production.  The liner notes were published in 1990, right around the time Brian's autobiography came out with lots of obnoxious statements about the other Beach Boys.  As some have suggested on this thread, a lot of this stuff (liner notes as well as autobio) was probably ghostwritten under the direction of Landy.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx