gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:45:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 1980's Appreciation Lounge  (Read 75125 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 05:26:26 PM »

Genesis - Invisible Touch. One of the first albums I ever remember hearing (I was probably 4 or 5). I think I remember it so vividly because this album has atmosphere...it sounds like a place rather than a studio album (Electric Ladyland also has this type of feel for me, the songs create a place rather than a mood). I didn't understand any of the themes (drugs, sex, etc), but the sound really grabbed me.

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy. Not one of his more popular albums, but one of his later albums that I really enjoy. Most of the Time is a highlight of the album for me.

U2 - Rattle and Hum. Heartland and Angel of Harlem are 2 gems from the 80s that I hope are never forgotten.

AC/DC - Back in Black. One of the most perfect rock albums ever made.

Other great albums have already been mentioned, so I won't bother bringing them up again.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »

"Hate" the Eagles?  Man!!!  That ain't gonna vaildate this thread.  That particular song...OK...but "Hate" Don...and the Eagles?  Get over it.

Haha, I don't know, man. Once in a while, especially recently, I find myself hearing or recalling some totally lame "classic rawk" song or some fairly atrocious 80s cheesefest (that's coming from someone posting on a Beach Boys messageboard), wonder who it is, Google the lyrics and I'd say over 50% of the time, it's either The Eagles or an Eagles solo project. Usually Don Henley, who also seems to like himself a bit too much, thus further distaste.

Sorry, if you get something good out of their work, I'm sincerely glad and think no less of you at all, but they're just... not for me. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »

Cool 'Runners'.  'Sly' quote to be inserted here. > "."   You know the one I mean.   Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 05:45:09 AM »

Cyndi Lauper's debut is essential listen. Take it for note, Mr. Waves. "True Colors" as of 3 yrs later is even better.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »

I would say 3 of the songs are truly great, while the other 7 passable, but rather faceless. But hey, I realize I'm in minority here.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »

I absolutely adore The Nightfly by Donald Fagen. A lovely nostalgic album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8zrKnkd6ss
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:52:24 AM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 04:18:35 PM »

I would say 3 of the songs are truly great, while the other 7 passable, but rather faceless. But hey, I realize I'm in minority here.

Much more a fan of the Bon Scott era, but there's a lot of good stuff with Brian Johnson, too. There are only a two or three tracks on Back In Black which I'm kinda take-it-or-leave-it on. I guess, for me, that would exclude it from being "perfect", but it's still pretty nice.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

The Clash - Sandinista! (1980)

This is an interesting choice. What do you like about this album? I tried listening to it once during my fixation with London Calling, but I just got lost in the sprawling indulgences throughout.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »

The first 80s songs that pop into my head that I love are:

There is a Light that Never Goes Out - The Smiths
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears
Steppin' Out - Joe Jackson
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »

This is an interesting choice. What do you like about this album? I tried listening to it once during my fixation with London Calling, but I just got lost in the sprawling indulgences throughout.

I agree that Sandinista is too indulgent. I'm not too crazy about the Clash, but I like their first album for it's raw punk sound which they later dropped for the poppy/dancey/radio friendly thing. But the first Clash album is from the 70s and we're talking 80s here...
Have you listened to Wall Of Voodoo? If you like the post-punk bands of the early 80s Wall Of Voodoo is one of the best. Their sound is a unique blend of dark-wave mixed with Spanish guitar with piercing feedback. There's a Spy vs Spy vibe about their music...their songs tell stories sorta like Johnny Cash. And they're a dark band, not really a poppy band. Check out their 1982 album "Call Of The West". Their one hit, Mexican Radio, is on it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:28:37 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 07:13:55 PM »

Much more a fan of the Bon Scott era, but there's a lot of good stuff with Brian Johnson, too. There are only a two or three tracks on Back In Black which I'm kinda take-it-or-leave-it on. I guess, for me, that would exclude it from being "perfect", but it's still pretty nice.

I prefer the Bon Scott era too. However, even though Back In Black is a great album, I prefer 1981's For Those About To Rock (We Salute You). To me it's Brian Johnson's finest with the band, featuring fast rockers like Put The Finger On You and slick tunes like Breaking The Rules. When it comes to Brian Johnson era AC/DC it's all about their 1981 album, for me anyway. After 1985 they started getting stale, Fly On The Wall and Who Made Who are nothing compared to BIB and FTATR(WSY).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:31:09 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 01:41:37 AM »

I think there's a lot to love about it, many of the band's greatest and most ambitious songs are there. It is overwhelming on the first few listens, but it'll pay off if you give it time. And self-indulgent too, but I personally am a fan of this "encyclopedic" approach to albums, I'd much rather see them try everything and fail here and there then come up with a more consistent, but ultimately safe and cautious album. The Clash had the talent and versatility it takes to approach the Herculian task of the triple album and I'm glad they did it. It's a bit crazy to realize that they recorded and released 55 songs in the course of one year.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »

Hi all,

Prince
Paul McCartney
Eurthymics
Paul Simon
Oliva Newton  John
Bon Jovi
Elton John
Journey
Kokomo
Cindy Lauper
The Police
Sting
Rod Stewart
Genesis
Phil Collins
Fleetwood Mac  together and solos
Styx
Night Ranger
Van Halen
Ozzy Osbourne Crazy Trian
Def Leppard
Yes Owner of A Lonely Heart and Leave It
Pat Benetar
Madonna
Thompson Twins
Alan Parons Project
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »

Paul McCartney
Bon Jovi
Elton John
Journey
Kokomo
Rod Stewart
Genesis
Phil Collins
Styx
Def Leppard
Yes Owner of A Lonely Heart and Leave It

NO!  Grin
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »

In a bizarre twist of events, my hometown, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, somehow managed to produce many, many amazing acts including a particularly incredible band - The Go-Betweens - who technically started out in ’78, but during the 80s provided both off-beat avant-garde numbers paired with joyous pop (non)hits fuelled respectively by the creative core of Robert Forster and Grant McLennan.  Each song is the song of love, whether new found and exhilarating or lost and yearned for, relayed in intellectually primed prose, that remains accessible and relatable.

Taking their cues from Jonathan Richmond, Television, Velvet Underground and, lyrically, Dylan, the Go Betweens hightailed it to London and famously spent a lot time with The Birthday Party, who as Bubbly would know included Nick Cave and a number of musicians who formed the core of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

I only got to see these guys in their original incarnation once, in 1988 - they split a few years later, with Forster and McLennan only returning with a new version of the group in ’96 - while infamy did not elude them, international super-stardom and success did for most of their career.  Around ’05, Grant and Robert, brimming with artistic credibility, kudos and acknowledged as one of Australia’s most influential groups finally nailed a deal to release their back catalogue and solo recordings which gave them both a level of financial security not hither-to forthcoming.

Grant bought a house in Spring Hill, Brisbane, and while taking a break from preparing his house in anticipation of an evening party, due to feeling unwell, he took a nap and died in his sleep from a a heart attack.  Thus the Go Betweens were bought to an end, missed always but forgotten never.

It’s hard for me to say where to start with these guys, I love it all (and why do I love it, like my love for most music, I do not know) - either go all the way back and kick off with Forster’s “Karen” -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPErA7NZISM - or check out Grant McLennan’s Cattle and Cane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCbyByY-A6w - composed on Nick Cave’s guitar.  A particular favourite is from their reunion album, Friends of Rachael Worth - Surfing Magazines - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBJYP_nfMmg .

And while your at it, check out these Kiwis and anything on New Zealand’s Flying Nun label - possibly my all time favourite song, once covered by your buddy Stephen Malkmus - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeuy8PD0bFM - the ‘80s rule!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:09:08 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
krabklaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:55 AM »

Some great 80s albums on my ipod:
Prefab Sprout- From Langley Park To Memphis
Psychedelic Furs- Talk Talk Talk
China Crisis- What Price Paradise
Sade- Diamond Life
Joe Jackson- Body & Soul
XTC-Skylarking
Culture Club- Colour By Numbers
Everything But The Girl- Eden
Style Council- Our Favorite Shop
Nick Heyward- North Of A Miracle
ABC- Beauty Stab
Wendy & Lisa- Wendy & Lisa
Heaven 17- How Men Are
It Bites- Once Around The World
Level 42- Running In The Family
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:35:06 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »

Some great 80s albums on my ipod:
Prefab Sprout- From Langley Park To Memphis
Psychedelic Furs- Talk Talk Talk
China Crisis- What Price Paradise
Sade- Diamond Life
Joe Jackson- Body & Soul
XTC-Skylarking
Culture Club- Colour By Numbers
Everything But The Girl- Eden
Style Council- Our Favorite Shop
Nick Heyward- North Of A Miracle
ABC- Beauty Stab
Wendy & Lisa- Wendy & Lisa
Heaven 17- Sunset Now
It Bites- Once Around The World
Level 42- Running In The Family
Yes indeed, Diamond Life. Bought that when it came out. (I discovered the first two Culture Club albums only last year.)

Gary Numan made some great albums in the '80s.I think Telekon was the first in that decade.

But my favourite has to be Dare! by The Human League, the ultimate filler-less album. Every track a classic. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »

The Fall "Hex Enduction Hour"
The Fall "This Nation's Saving Grace"

Basically all of their 80s stuff. I really love "I Am Kurious Oranj"
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 08:05:12 PM »

Thanks, Alan, I'll have to check them out.
I've actually been thinking about getting those albums, Ontor, so cool picks.

Here's one that I've had an urge to listen to lately:

The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight

What a great album, whatta great piece of twisted rock and roll. The guitars are straight out of some maniacal Byrds song and the lyrics don't even try to make sense - in fact, Robyn Hitchcock seems to get some weird joy out of making sure they're as delirious and surreal as possible before he gets in front of a mic stand. The album starts right off with a bang, the rousing "I Wanna Destroy You" and it's aggressive guitars and harmonies really get the point across. "I Got the Hots" has a wonderfully sleazy riff and begins with unrelated, inanimate objects proclaiming their love for each other, then moving onto a wonderful B section with lovely music and melodies. "Old Pervert" and "Queen of Eyes" are perhaps the most obvious touchstones: the former is Beefheart-ian and doesn't seem like it should work, but golly does it, and the latter is like a Byrds song on acid. The band's musical sense is impeccable, and they show off one song right after another with perfect riffs and melodies, creating a fascinating version of jangly, melodic pop music that gives absolutely zero f***s as to what you think of it. It's here, it's weird, and it's up for the taking.

I'm always a little sad when it's over.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:36:55 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 10:47:56 PM »

I'm not familiar with The Go-Betweens.  It's late here to be blasting music.(1am-ish).  I'll listen soon.  I've heard some of The Fall, including Hex Enduction Hour - that sounds like something I'd picture you playing ontor.  Have they showed up on one of your soundtracks?     Bubbly's pick I'm very familiar with.  Underwater Moonlight - Loved this album the first time I heard it.  The Soft Boys were popular with me and my friends in 1980-81.  My favorite is that opener, "I Wanna Destroy You" - one of Robyn's best ever songs.  

"Kingdom of Love" - "You've been laying eggs under my skin..." makes perfect sense to me.  Hitchcock was an alien before he was an Egyptian. Wink  "I would ramble all through time and space..."  Great lyrics and I love the guitars.  I was quick to embrace this album because it had the Byrds jangle.  That has been part of my musical journey since the 60's - groups kept bringing it back.  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in the late 70's, while McGuinn himself was keeping it mostly in his back pocket while in McGuinn, Clark and Hillman during this period.   The Soft Boys were picking it up and throwing it back to America.  The Records were also a great early 80's band that mined this sound.  After Petty became popular, Roger pulled his twelve-string back out to play with him.

It's not all Byrds' jangle.  The title track reminds me of George Harrison, in his 80's style.  Lyrically George had been writing similar stuff since the White Album's "Savoy Truffle."  And he had Dylan to work with in the late 80's.  Hitchcock was just going even more out-there, like you say - some of it sounds Beefheart-ish.  He wanted it to sound off the wall.  But he was hoping you'd hear a Dylan connection in his lyrics.  I wonder if Harrison ever heard this - sure he did.

My other favorites are "Insanely Jealous of You" and "You'll Have to Go Sideways" - which reminded me of the Pretenders' "Space Invader" -another band getting started in 1980.

I have another Hitchcock album I love from the 80's:

Globe of Frogs (1988)  This may have had Robyn's biggest hit, "Balloon Man" and "Tropical Flesh Mandala" is a big fav.  "The Shapes between Us Turn into Animals" and "Sleeping with Your Devil Mask" also got plenty of air time at my house.

Good Pick.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:10:11 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »

We all know the prevailing wisdom: "the 80's were the worst, blah blah i'm a cool guy" WELL, NO. After going through massive amounts of music from the 1960's and 70's, I want somewhere else to go, and forward seems like the natural choice. Anyway, while doing some research into these couple of years, I'm discovering that the 1980's has a lot of great stuff to offer. So, I'm looking forward to talking about and discovering more from this oft-neglected decade. Now kick back, grab a Crystal Pepsi, and tell me about your favorite music from 1980-1989 - song, album, artist, whatever.

I think a definite case can be made that the music (if we only talk music) from the 60's was superior than other decades, but the older I get the more appreciation I get for each succeeding decade!  So the true test would be, when we start comparing the music that came out in the 90's, is any of it any good?  Actually... yeah!  A lot of it was. 

My theory is, as time goes on, people forget about and stop playing all the sh*t music that came out in a particular time period... and focus on the good stuff, until eventually all anybody talks about is good music from that particular time.

I'm pretty mainstream so I honestly have a huge appreciation for the pop music that came out in the 80's.  Prince did most of his 'great' stuff in the 80's, hell you can listen to about any Prince album and it's good.  Also the Country music that was out in the 80's is often very 'pop' and sounds great, stuff like Kathy Mattea's "18 wheels" or Merle Haggard's "That's the Way Love Goes" or Randy Travis' "Diggin Up bones", etc.

Tears for Fears was a great band in the 80's.  If you're not familiar with U2's stuff, they had several great albums in the 80's, even their live album was awesome.  Hall & Oates did all kinds of awesome stuff in the 80's.  The Rolling Stones had some great stuff in the 80's....
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2015, 09:43:28 PM »

I really, really like the song The Boys of Summer. There, I said it.

You're damn right!  It's so fucking nostalgic, I don't understand why I like it so much, it must be that damn minor key.  I was 2-12 years old in the 80's, I wasn't dating anybody or anything so it makes no sense that that song should affect me the way it does, but it DOES!  It really reminds me of my first love (which came later), even though we never played that song or listened to Don Henley. 

It's a testament to the song; and essentially, it's just a pop song.  There's nothing particularly mind blowing about it, other than the feel!  Ask a jazz guy, though, and he'll tell you the feel is everything!

"I can Seeeeee you!  Your brown skin shinin' in the sun!  You got your hair pulled back... Sun glasses on, baby!"

Oh my god.  Amazing!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:04 PM »

I noticed later you asked for people to explain why they like what they say they like.  So i'll expound on a song or whatever.

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World .  This was mentioned above by someone else as well, and in my opinion it's really got that 80's thing going for it.  It has that kind of shimmering sound that brit pop did for awhile there with the jangly guitar lead.... awesome, driving, simple drum beat.  I love how the guy doubles up the little fill every 16 bars or whatever... then gives it to us harder right before the chorus!

...and, that's what takes it over the top.  When most people write a song, they save the money shot for the end of the song.  Not Tears for Fears.  they go back... and back... and back... and back to the same well, and the sh*t never gets old.  So you get a short little verse

"Welcome to your life.  There's no turning back.  Even while you sleep.  You will find us...."

and then it's straight into the money shot, that incredible melody, that awesome hook

"Acting On Our Best Behavior, Turn Your Back on Mother Nature! Every Body Wants To Rule The World!"

and then it gets back to just the beat.... and they're basically saying "What?  What did we do?  Oh, you want more of that??"

So they tease you a little more with another verse. 

"It's My Own Design.  It's my Own Remorse.  Help me To Decide! Help Me Make The...."

and BAM!  They hit you with the good sh*t again!  It's like Ridilin, Crack, and Heroin all in 1 shot!

"Most Of Freedom! And Of Pleasure! Noth Ing Ev Er Lasts For Ev Er!  Ev Ry Bah Dee Ones To Ruuu Tha Worrrrrrrllllllddddddd"

And On, And On, And On.  The Drummer keeps doing that little fill.... they keep hitting that little melody... it's just amazing.  It's harder tha Metallica ever thought about being, I mean that's some hard, hard stuff.  It hits you right in the chest where it's supposed to.

That's why I like it.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 10:08:05 PM »

Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bgRmYf6EYM

These guys should be a complete joke, just look at them.  However, they're really, really good.... you just have to open your ears, and the sh*t blows you away.  It's not that they're geniuses or something, but the music just moves you. 

One of my hobbies is I restore or repair jukeboxes.  I'm serious.  I bought a box off a guy about a year ago, and it was already full of records.  This record was in it.  I like to crank up the bass on these jukeboxes so you can feel it, literally.  I mean literally, you can feel the floor shaking a little bit!

So I'd heard this song before, but never on a jukebox, so I turned that sh*t up and selected this song.  That damn bassline was making the lights dim, I'm telling you I could feel it man! It was like it was 1983 and I was in a bar with a hot chick and this jukebox blasting this song out. 

I probably listened to it 10 times in a row that first time.  Everything about it is mesmerizing, I love the bridge , over and over "Iii..... I'll do anything... do almost anything that you want me to...." 

Infectious. 

Hall & Oates are money, believe that. 
halblaineisgood
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »

Roy Orbison's last album was pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:49:51 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx