gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:36:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi from Brian - see you here next Monday  (Read 20512 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »

I have to comment that while its cool 'Brian' has stopped by, a lot of these posts over Brian are real Blue Board 'fan boy' in style. Sure it will be great if he answers some interesting questions with interesting replies but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'd say you deserve some flack.  What a 'prickish' thing to say.  The pomposity of your need to dump on the blueboard and on what else BBB too if they enter into the picture?...is just so typical...because, IN FACT, there really is NO difference in terms of the fandom...or of the excitment when it comes to having a chance to spend a little time with Brian...whether it be in concert or on-line.  Geez.  It's not like it happens once a month!!!

As you MAY have read along the way over these past many days here...Brian is never big on confrontation.  Upsets his apple-cart a little.  NO ONE likes to be crowded so the visit will be orderly.  He'll answer as many questions as he can...while someone else saves everyone time by doing the typing of the words he, in fact, says.  Short questions will work better for him...and in many cases the answers will probably be pretty short too.  He's goin to want to react to as many folks as possible so make it easy for him to succeed.

Who knows...if it goes WELL...he may very well come back again.  It's ALL up to us.

[just a little advice from someone who has benefited greatly from a long association with the BLUE BOARD.]

Don't mind the comments Add Some. My point I guess is on the Blue Board I expect pro- Brian comments. His site with his rules. Here I hope for a better balance with some decent manners however. Reading some of the comments I feel these are not in the SS message board style. I'm just not the fawning type I guess, but that's my problem.

Forgive me for being gracious towards my favorite musician. What a strange thing to complain about. He's the main reason all of us are here, we want him to like it and want to come back...and somebody's complaining we're being *too nice* to him? Is this a joke?

And to everyone who's brought it up, I realize in-depth, nuanced answers regarding SMiLE or Smiley or VDP or Daro or any of that are probably a pipe dream. A man can dream, I guess. I'll be happy with whatever Brian chooses to answer.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »

I'll be neck deep in work and can't join chat. Will there be a means to get brother Bri questions for those of us that cannot be present and counted?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »

speaking strictly for myself...

Brian happens to be my personal hero. His music literally saved my life and gave me a reason to live at a time where I had very little going for me otherwise. Have I ever been critical? Hell yeah...I'd like to think I'm one of the most fair-minded balanced observers here. I had been a champion for the rest of the band back when the Boys were considered to be 'Brian Wilson and the five assholes'. For goodness sake, I'm one of maybe three people who actually really likes Looking Back with Love.  I'd long held that GIOMH was the worst BB solo album by a long shot (until I heard Going Public, that is), and my less-than-glowing thoughts on Imagination have been well expounded upon. That said, at the end of the day, despite being as human and flawed as the rest of us, I'm a diehard  obsessive Brian Wilson fan.  And even more than his music, I'm a fan of Brian Wilson the person, the guy who despite all of his hardships and struggles, still managed to pull through and rise above. The man who showed me that no matter how bad things may get, one can still persevere and come out on top. That's amazingly inspiring to me. So yeah, call it fawning, call it what you will, but Brian is to me what Phil Spector was to Brian, and nothing in this world could ever change that.

If I ever meet him (it's on my bucketlist), inside I'd probably be as giddy as a teen girl meeting whomever the hell is popular with teen girls these days, but really I'd like to shake his hand and say 'thank you for the badass sounds'.

Of course, I say that now, but truthfully I'd probably freeze up  and be all like 'uh,  gee Mr. Wilson, who do you pick in the Series this year' or 'umm...golly...uhh...so...what's your favorite deli meat', sh*t myself, and run away crying, but hey. LOL

monkee knutz...me too. Missing out live burns me inside like a flaming sack of dog sh*t, but I'll be here in spirit!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »

speaking strictly for myself...

Brian happens to be my personal hero. His music literally saved my life and gave me a reason to live at a time where I had very little going for me otherwise. Have I ever been critical? Hell yeah...I'd like to think I'm one of the most fair-minded balanced observers here. I had been a champion for the rest of the band back when the Boys were considered to be 'Brian Wilson and the five assholes'. For goodness sake, I'm one of maybe three people who actually really likes Looking Back with Love.  I'd long held that GIOMH was the worst BB solo album by a long shot (until I heard Going Public, that is), and my less-than-glowing thoughts on Imagination have been well expounded upon. That said, at the end of the day, despite being as human and flawed as the rest of us, I'm a diehard  obsessive Brian Wilson fan.  And even more than his music, I'm a fan of Brian Wilson the person, the guy who despite all of his hardships and struggles, still managed to pull through and rise above. The man who showed me that no matter how bad things may get, one can still persevere and come out on top. That's amazingly inspiring to me. So yeah, call it fawning, call it what you will, but Brian is to me what Phil Spector was to Brian, and nothing in this world could ever change that.

If I ever meet him (it's on my bucketlist), inside I'd probably be as giddy as a teen girl meeting whomever the hell is popular with teen girls these days, but really I'd like to shake his hand and say 'thank you for the badass sounds'.

Of course, I say that now, but truthfully I'd probably freeze up  and be all like 'uh,  gee Mr. Wilson, who do you pick in the Series this year' or 'umm...golly...uhh...so...what's your favorite deli meat', sh*t myself, and run away crying, but hey. LOL

monkee knutz...me too. Missing out live burns me inside like a flaming sack of dog sh*t, but I'll be here in spirit!

Rock!

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »

I get the worship, don't have a problem with those who go for that, but if you haven't already read it check out the Carl story from today. That's the real deal of human nature and not some puff piece written by some marketing department. I see the best and worst of people everyday and feel quite sorry for celebrities having to put on some front for our sake.

The truth about Monday? Brian would prefer reading 'The Weirdest Mike Picture Thread' more than answering questions here but could never say it.

I'd like to also say I stuck it to most doing the M&G's during the C50. I just don't go for that stuff. Its the burden I must carry. Baaa Humbug!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »

I get the worship, don't have a problem with those who go for that, but if you haven't already read it check out the Carl story from today. That's the real deal of human nature and not some puff piece written by some marketing department. I see the best and worst of people everyday and feel quite sorry for celebrities having to put on some front for our sake.

The truth about Monday? Brian would prefer reading 'The Weirdest Mike Picture Thread' more than answering questions here but could never say it.

I'd like to also say I stuck it to most doing the M&G's during the C50. I just don't go for that stuff. Its the burden I must carry. Baaa Humbug!

I can only imagine how annoying it must be answering questions that could be deeply personal for the sake of strangers. But he's doing it for us fans. Let's be grateful for it and not piss all over a nice gesture. What's the point of being "realistic" about something like this. It's a beach boys fan board and for the first time, the leader of the band is doing something cool for us. Just take it for what it is and be thankful that even though he probably would rather look at the Mike thread, he's here doing this for us for an hour.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »

Fine...But can we keep a little self respect and SS spirit and not lay it on so thick?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »

Fine...But can we keep a little self respect and SS spirit and not lay it on so thick?

I seriously have no idea WTF you're talking about with this "SS spirit" and "laying it on so thick."

Honestly, some of you on this board are never happy. It's like...what's there to complain about? People getting excited about a Beach Boy visiting a Beach Boys forum...oh the indignity! It's the downfall of the board!

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »

Will be here, Brian. After 52 years, I wouldn't miss it. Thank you! Listening

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »

I guess I see this site and the old Ego site with some 'balls' compared to others. I dread some of the questions on both this and the blue come Monday.

BTW. He's introduced himself as 'Brian' twice now so that's how he is most comfortable I expect. This 'Mr Wilson' and 'sir' probably shows respect but I doubt if it is him.

I'm on a hiding to nothing so will leave it at that.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »

Young guy here, can't wait! Thanks Brian!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:08 PM »

The same story that referred to Al Jardine as their cousin, spelled Ricky's name wrong, and claimed Dennis was wasted despite that being a period of sobriety for him?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »

Fine. But after almost 40 years as a fan I've read more than enough accurate encounters to make up for one shoddy one.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »

Oh yeah, no doubt. I think a majority of us have, whether reading them or actually first hand.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »

When I met Brian, it was a very short and quiet encounter; really hoping to ask a question to my idol! :D

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »

I guess I see this site and the old Ego site with some 'balls' compared to others. I dread some of the questions on both this and the blue come Monday.

BTW. He's introduced himself as 'Brian' twice now so that's how he is most comfortable I expect. This 'Mr Wilson' and 'sir' probably shows respect but I doubt if it is him.

So, what "attitude" is a correct Smiley Smile attitude? I'd sure hate to get it wrong and be labeled a Blue Board fangirl. Let me give some samples, and you guys tell me which one to adopt:

The Mike and Bruce Smiley fan: Wooooooo! The 50th anniversary of Fun, Fun, Fun on the Smiley Board! And cousin Brian!!! He did drugs, you know.

The 70's only Smiley fan:  Brian? He's okay, I guess. But, Ricky and Blondie were the real movers and shakers of the Beach Boys. Let me know when they decide to show, m'kay?

The Pet Sounds/Smile only Smiley Fan: Pffft! Where's Van Dyke?  That's what I want to know.

The Fan Who Knows Every Bootleg By Heart: Brian!! Did you really burn the tapes of the 50th remix of "Do You Like Worms?"

The Dennis fan: Brian, what do you think of Pacific Ocean Blue? Really.

The I'm Better than the Bloo fan:  I'm not a snob. I just happen to think that people who are fans should never actually act like fans. Instead, they should insult the object of their fandom and complain about everything they do.

OSD:  w00t! w00t! w00t!

Halblaineisgood: .

Nah. I'm a fan and I don't mind acting like one. I'll be there with some silly question that the intelligentsia at the Smiley  board can't bear to look at. And, if it bothers them, as we say in the south, "suck it up, buttercup!"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:00:54 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 07:02:13 PM »

So, what "attitude" is a correct Smiley Smile attitude? I'd sure hate to get it wrong and be labeled a Blue Board fangirl. Let me give some samples, and you guys tell me which one to adopt:

The Mike and Bruce Smiley fan: Wooooooo! The 50th anniversary of Fun, Fun, Fun on the Smiley Board! And cousin Brian!!! He did drugs, you know.

The 70's only Smiley fan:  Brian? He's okay, I guess. But, Ricky and Blondie were the real movers and shakers of the Beach Boys. Let me know when they decide to show, m'kay?

The Pet Sounds/Smile only Smiley Fan: Pffft! Where's Van Dyke?  That's what I want to know.

The Fan Who Knows Every Bootleg By Heart: Brian!! Did you really burn the tapes of the 50th remix of "Do You Like Worms?"

The Dennis fan: Brian, what do you think of Pacific Ocean Blue? Really.

The I'm Better than the Bloo fan:  I'm not a snob. I just happen to think that people who are fans should never actually act like fans. Instead, they should insult the object of their fandom and complain about everything they do.

The snarky Smiley fan: I'm glad his "wifeandmanagers" let him out...

OSD:  w00t! w00t! w00t!

Halblaineisgood: .

Nah. I'm a fan and I don't mind acting like one. I'll be there with some silly question that the intelligentsia at the Smiley  board can't bear to look at. And, if it bothers them, as we say in the south, "suck it up, buttercup!"

Seriously. Thank you. I feel like everything I say and do here rubs SOMEBODY the wrong way, but I've learned to cope. Still, you'd think BRIAN FRIGGIN WILSON coming for a Q&A would be something we could all get excited for without complaint or in-fighting. Jeez

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »

Exactly Mujan!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »

As I recall from earlier 1/2 hour Q&A's at the bloo, only a handful of answers were forthcoming from a shitload of questions. Be prepared for short answers and predominantly only about the new album. I have to admit though that it is very cool that our board is included for this Q&A. We've hit the big time. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2015, 07:32:59 PM »

I haven't posted lately, because it's just been fascinating to watch this all unfold. And my thoughts have been mixed on nearly everything -- including the Daro thread deletion.

The presence of someone like Brian -- it would be the same for any of the other guys, really -- is something to be treated with care. I am as excited as the next board member that he decided to post. But SS's freewheeling nature is indeed what makes it special and, ultimately, respected. Too much group-think, and a board withers. Too much conflict, and it does likewise. There is a careful balance to be maintained.

Frankly, I feel ... peculiar ... about using a board like this for promotional purposes. Folks like Ray, Debbie, Desper and (in the day) Mark L. posted because they're genuinely fans, have real knowledge that no one else has and are willing to contribute on the board's terms. They didn't have a record to sell. If Brian plans to drop by now and then for the next few years, that's one thing. But if this is more or less a marketing move, even a sincere and well-intentioned one, well ...

I'm not unhappy, I'm not resentful, I'm not saying he shouldn't do it. I will show up to read Monday's revelations, too. But I am curious to see what becomes of us.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:48:13 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »

As I recall from earlier 1/2 hour Q&A's at the bloo, only a handful of answers were forthcoming from a shitload of questions. Be prepared for short answers and predominantly only about the new album. I have to admit though that it is very cool that our board is included for this Q&A. We've hit the big time. Smiley

Better than the cluttered disaster that was his Facebook Q&A at least

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »

Sounds like a treat to me. Smiley Saw the FB announcement before I saw it here - expect there'll be plenty of new members registering in the coming days.

Not sure I'll have a question though. I'm a sap who falls into the 'want to give him a hug and say thanks' category.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »

Better than the cluttered disaster that was his Facebook Q&A at least
You are absolutely correct about that. Gawd-awful!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »

definitely hit the big time. We're on the radar, and not just in BW/BB circles. You'd be surprised who's lurked here....

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »

definitely hit the big time. We're on the radar, and not just in BW/BB circles. You'd be surprised who's lurked here....

Yeah, but the NSA doesn't count. They're spying on everybody.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx