gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:01:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ask Brian a question thread  (Read 37130 times)
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »

That was fun, and about what I expected in terms of in-depth answers (or lack of).  Hopefully he'll come back and address some excellent questions he didn't get to.

Reading this, though, makes me a little sad:

What is your definition of artistic success?
Number one records on the charts.

If that's still truly his measurement of success, he's almost certain to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:51:39 PM by Les P » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »

That was fun, and about what I expected in terms of in-depth answers (or lack of).  Hopefully he'll come back and address some excellent questions he didn't get to.

Reading this, though, makes me a little sad.  If that's still truly his measurement of success, he's almost certain to be disappointed:

He probably didn't really 'get' the "artistic" part of the question.. Wink
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2015, 03:03:51 PM »

Reading this, though, makes me a little sad:

If that's still truly his measurement of success, he's almost certain to be disappointed.

He has always been clear that he attaches the greatest importance to chart success.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:55 PM »

Do you remember the Crenshaw Apartment's where you had a studio and you were doing pre-production on pet sounds or recording new artists on your record label Safari Records? If so do you remember the little girl riding her red tricycle around and is she a long lost relative to your family? Was her name Sandy or nick named Sissy ? and if so is the Wilson family looking for her?
Shrug Shrug Shrug
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »

Do you remember the Crenshaw Apartment's where you had a studio and you were doing pre-production on pet sounds or recording new artists on your record label Safari Records? If so do you remember the little girl riding her red tricycle around and is she a long lost relative to your family? Was her name Sandy or nick named Sissy ? and if so is the Wilson family looking for her?
Shrug Shrug Shrug

An extremely bizarre question entirely shrugged off by Brian's response of "I remember that - I had a studio there!"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »

Musta been a helluva studio in that apartment.  Let's see, a Wollensak reel to reel tape recorder, a microphone, three blank 3M tapes, a table, a chair, a lamp, and a mattress on the floor....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2015, 10:23:33 PM »

I didn't want to further clog the What Did We Learn thread, but I couldn't resist putting this somewhere.

The question I posted:

What inspired you to write "Country Air" on the Wild Honey album, and was some part of it written for Smile?

The response I fantasized:

I love that, thanks for asking!  I remember I was up in the Sierra Nevadas with Michael Vosse and some other friends – AGD can tell you who was there and the exact dates, and what kind of pizza we ate for lunch – and we were up on a mountain and Michael said “take a breath of that country air.”  I said, “Wow, country air…that’s a GREAT idea for a song!”  And this tune came to me right then and I started humming it and they were knocked out by it.  KNOCKED OUT!  Then I thought, I should do a whole thing about the elements for SMiLE, you know, air, fire, water, earth.  Yeah, the Elements!  I figured that would scare some people.  The air part was gonna be a piano piece like the humming part of “Country Air,” with some blowing and whistling over it.  We never finished that, but I have a copy of the unfinished track at home…I’ll put that up on my website after I finish answering all these great questions.   Well, on second thought it's not lossless so you guys wouldn't want to hear it.  Anyway, I used the tune for “Country Air” when we did the ‘Wild Honey’ album.    By the way,  the earth section of The Elements was...

The response I expected:

NONE.

The response I received:

I love it - sings - no inspiration - just wrote it!

So, the vision of Brian happily singing a line of “Country Air”...very cool!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:27:32 PM by Les P » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »

I thought ?-n about favorite ELO song/album was right up Mikie or stockey's alley. But it was MrRobinsonsFather.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »

Shrug Shrug Shrug

It lost me too Lee!  Thankfully Brian knows how to answer those curveball types of questions.  Grin
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »

Shrug Shrug Shrug

It lost me too Lee!  Thankfully Brian knows how to answer those curveball types of questions.  Grin

Something like: "Knowing Sandy is like liking a Phil Spector record." ?  Wink

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx