gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:28:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ask Brian a question thread  (Read 36955 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »

Let's delete all the questions and post the 10 questions we'd most like answered and hope Brian doesn't skip those! Wink
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »

Let's delete all the questions and post the 10 questions we'd most like answered and hope Brian doesn't skip those! Wink

I really wish people (especially longtime, learned, superfan posters on this board) would have refrained from asking "easy" questions like "is there going to be a NPP tour", etc. That's a question that will OBVIOUSLY be answered in due time regardless of this Q&A. From a newbie, maybe I could understand the desire to ask a question like that, but from longtime posters with hundreds/thousands of posts on this board? Why?? And questions like those are likely most of the questions that get chosen too, thus wasting an opportunity for more unusual questions to get chosen (that would otherwise likely never get asked/answered in a capacity like this). Urgh.

</rant>

Super geeky questions only, please.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:06:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »

I really wish people (especially longtime, learned, superfan posters on this board) would have refrained from asking "easy" questions like "is there going to be a NPP tour", etc. That's a question that will OBVIOUSLY be answered in due time regardless of this Q&A. From a newbie, maybe I could understand the desire to ask a question like that, but from longtime posters with hundreds/thousands of posts on this board? Why?? And questions like those are likely most of the questions that get chosen too, thus wasting an opportunity for more unusual questions to get chosen (that would otherwise likely never get asked/answered in a capacity like this). Urgh.

</rant>

Super geeky questions only, please.  Smiley

Yeah. Not to sound like a jerk, but I must agree. Plus, those will surely be asked on the blue board anyway. Wasted opportunity, if he only answers those questions.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »

Not to mention the number of Yes-no questions. Open ended questions elicit the best responses any time.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »

Well, I'm ready ...  Grin

Now please behave you all, so we (the mods) can relax a bit as well   Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »

Have to say these questions are all very intriguing -- a nice mix of some "soft" ones and some deep ones.

What a great day!!!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »

Not one question about the movie..

Probably a good thing, I doubt he knows much about it  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »

...I'm psyched!!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2015, 10:54:24 AM »

Ha! Got one of those waiting for me in my garage for the right moment----but not tonight.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »

This is so cool. The best thing is that this will generate probably zero publicity, Brian is just doin' it for the fans. What a guy.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »

Hmm, well, that went about as well as can be expected. The odd nice nugget of info in there, nothing Earth-shattering, but it was all good!

Interesting that he still rates VDP so highly...

And "Cheese Pizza" gets my vote for the most, well,  *Brian-like* Brian response...   Wink

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »

Right. Cheese pizza? Just saw on his board that he prefers apple pie over cake. We've been had.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »

Wow, it went by so fast; glad he stopped by though  Smiley.  Time to go back to class  Sad.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

Not that I was expecting much, but all the same, if I'm being honest...kinda disappointed Undecided

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:34 AM »

Honestly, I didn't think he'd answer all the hard,  in-depth, super fan questions. This isn't really the kind of format for that. It was pretty much what I expected.: a fun time with the fans.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »

Strangers in the Night demo, favorite chord, the pizza mystery solved. Not bad for a monday morning!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »

Murry singing bass, "Breakaway" inspired by the Joey Bishop Show, the Baldwin organ possibly in storage...not bad at all.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »

Hell yeah! That was an amazing Q&A, nothing to be disappointed about!!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »

The BW.COM Q&A is a bit of a dud, at least here we got some interesting questions answered.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »

Brian board q&a's blah

Who is your current favorite classical composer? Thank you for your wonderful music, Brian.
Joann Sebastian Bach - I liked Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. 

Why you wearing glasses during the Pet Sounds era only ?  I want thoses glasses, I need thoses glasses,  I love thoses glasses
They were just for effect - I didn't need glasses. Just to be cool!

Hi Brian. I always thought Male Ego was the undisputed highlight of the Beach Boys' 1985 self-titled and a forgotten gem that wouldn't have been out of place on The Beach Boys Love You. On the same token, Rio Grande from your 1988 solo album was a lost classic I'd put among your best work. Any memories of recording those two songs?
I remember working with Andy Paley and Lenny Waronker. Had really good lyrics.

Good morning, Brian. Cake or pie?
Pie - Apple

If you could only listen to one or two instruments for the rest of your life, which would they be?
Piano and organ.

Did you ever get chance to meet Walt Disney while filming The Monkey's Uncle with Annette?  If you did meet him, Can you explain your experience with him?
No I never did - just a Disney cruise!

What is your definition of artistic success?
Number one records on the charts.

What did you think of (Love and Mercy)?
Oh, fantastic. It's very well done and the actors were really good. Paul Dano really captured me in the Pet Sounds period.. Paul G. was very well casted. John Cusack and Elizabeth Banks were great. All in all it's factual. I'm really excited about it. We're going to Berlin to see it in the Berlin Film Festival in Feburaruy.

Hi Brian! Let me know what do you think about which band is the best of all time. Also i want to say  that i love all of your songs!
At the moment, it's the Rolling Stones are my favorite band. The Beatles too of course. The Bee Gees and I met them once at my Hall of Fame trip. They inducted me.

Were you always a confident singer? Or did it take a lot of practice?
Confidence - being the best I can, you know? I always was a confident singer.

Are you a fan of Motown? I mean, you did a lot of uptempo songs in the 60's, just like Motown. Any favorite Motown songs?
I heard it through the grapevine, reflections by diana ross, superwoman by Stevie Wonder.

The Beach Boys covered The Beatles a number of times, but The Beatles never covered the Beach Boys. What song of yours do you wish The Beatles had covered and why?
They could've covered Girl Don't Tell me because it sounded like them!

Your vocal collaborations with Stephen Kalinich on his early 70s spoken word albums are truly sublime.  What are some of your memories of working with Stephen? Do you still keep in touch?
We wrote A Friend Like You. A great guy.

I was wondering who are your favorite newer bands or solo artists? Are there any recent songs that you really enjoy or identify with?
Yeah, Nate Reuss from Fun and the others from my new album

What are your favorite musical pieces of Gershwin? I love your Gershwin tribute album very much. I especially like "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "I Got Plenty O' Nuttin" and my favorite is "Nothing But Love". I really love your musical and singing style.
My favorites are I loves you Porgy, Someone to watch over me.

Do you think music should be used more in nursing/health care?
Music is good for your brain, a good experience - you're right.
Thank you, Dr Wilson!!

Hi Brian,  Did you ever do a version of Guess I'm Dumb ?
I thought Glen did a great job. The horns I produced were really great. A departure from the Beach Boys

How old were you when you discovered your gift of harmony?
I was 12 years old and listening to R&B music. I Liked the Great Pretenders, Rock Around the Clock, Earth Angel.

What song did you expect to either get more or less praised once it was released? For instance, “This Whole World” and “Rio Grande” are the most underrated songs in my opinion, and I know you think "Lady Lynda" is underraterd. Which others are overrated or underrater in your opinion?
The Little Girl I Once Knew  was underrated I thought.

Which of the collaborations on the new album surprised you the most? What made you go "wow, I didn't expect that!" -- who would you want to work with again?
Nate Reus - he surprised me the most.

Hello Brian! Do you have any plans to make an album specifically geared at young children? Thank you!
I thought about it, but I haven't. Voice and piano would be a cool trip too.

Did you ever keep up with the accordion? Heard that you had a few lessons as a kid, but do you ever try to play it now?
When I was 14 years old! I took lessons for a month but never was very good at it!

Not a question as much as a comment. The version of There's No Other (Like My Baby) from the Beach Boys' Party album was truly superb. I suggest that version to anyone who wants to hear perfect harmony. Hope you feel the same.
I thought it was a great track! Three part harmony was very close. Best part was the harmony!

Brian, what are  you thoughts on Jan Berry.  Do you believe that Jan & Dean should be inducted in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
Jan was a kick - real good with music and I wrote Surf City with him. It was my first #1 record.

Do you remember the Crenshaw Apartment's where you had a studio and you were doing pre-production on pet sounds or recording new artists on your record label Safari Records? If so do you remember the little girl riding her red tricycle around and is she a long lost relative to your family? Was her name Sandy or nick named Sissy ? and if so is the Wilson family looking for her?
I had a studio there - I do remember that!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »

He answered my question. I'm still gobsmacked.  Thud

His favorite is F sharp seventh. What a revelation!  Afro   Wink

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »

I gotta say the questions and answers on his board were quite a bit better than ours.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »

He answered my question. I'm still gobsmacked.  Thud

His favorite is F sharp seventh. What a revelation!  Afro   Wink

I'm pretty sure he meant F sharp Maj7. I recall him answering that question before somewhere.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:10 PM »

I gotta say the questions and answers on his board were quite a bit better than ours.

No, they kinda sucked.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2015, 12:33:23 PM »

No, they kinda sucked.

With one certain exception.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx