gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:01:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ask Brian a question thread  (Read 36951 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2015, 05:23:11 AM »

Very exciting.

Just a thought, since this a first, when it comes to the actual event,  anybody else think it might be a good to limit ourselves to one concise question? Imagining myself in Brian's place, I'm thinking I might pass on long and multiple questions and go to the to-the-point questions. Just a thought.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »

Totally agree, Cam. Anyone who posts multiple questions, in my opinion, is gonna get skipped on the day.

Hey, I'd go further. I reckon anyone who asks one *multi-faceted* question is gonna get skipped. Multiple clauses, similarly. I think to have a snowball's chance in hell of getting answered, you need to boil what you want to know down to as few words as possible, and phrase the question such that a similarly concise answer is possible.

In short: if you make answering hard, you're gonna be toast.

But swing Occam's razor like a mofo, and you might get somewhere...!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2015, 06:24:59 AM »

Quote from: bgas
It would be nice if we get answers some meaty answers to good questions.
I think if Brian wants to tell us deep stuff, he will. If he wants to promote his new album primarily, he will. We can't force it. Honestly, I'd guess he wants to discuss his current material the most. You think no interviewers have asked him about Smiley Smile or Love You? He'll probably just tell us those are cool albums.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2015, 06:31:06 AM »

On the other hand, it goes without saying I suppose, avoid phrasing your questions so that they can be answered with a "yes" or "no". Unless, of course, you are looking for a "yes" or "no" answer.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2015, 06:54:55 AM »

Then my question will be:

"So, how do you want to run this?"

“We live in divisive times.”
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 07:20:34 AM »

The reason I suggested a food question is because it seems like talking about food and other mundane topics relaxes Brian somewhat, giving him a break between the big questions about obscure songs and intent behind compositions. I never read such fun answers as in one of his tour books, where he rhapsodized about french fries.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2015, 07:57:45 AM »

I'm with you, Amy, and got where you were coming from straight away on that - but at the same time, it would kinda suck if he got to answer 15 questions while he was here, and of those, three ended up being about steak and another four about Norbit...   Wink
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »

Very exciting.

Just a thought, since this a first, when it comes to the actual event,  anybody else think it might be a good to limit ourselves to one concise question? Imagining myself in Brian's place, I'm thinking I might pass on long and multiple questions and go to the to-the-point questions. Just a thought.

Completey agree with this and mentioned it earlier in the thread I think. It will be a p*sser if half of the thread is dominated by a single poster asking multiple questions or rambling on for ages.

Ultimately it's up to the mods and I'm sure they have considered this aspect and will comment in due course.

In short: if you make answering hard, you're gonna be toast.

I'm with you Matt. My question below:

Brian - H&V a & b?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »

The other thing that occurs to me is that, coming in, they must be aware that this is a fan-board that swings towards the more hardcore (at least compared to the blueboard) so Brian may have been given a heads up to expect more in-depth questions. If he only wanted to answer safe questions about the new album he'd stay on his own site (and this a direct contradiction of my initial cynicism, I'm aware).

None of us can no for sure what will and won't be answered. More power to those asking about Love You, Adult Child, Paley Sessions etc. It would be a shame if we all neutered our questions in the hope of getting a reply and missed an opportunity to get BW to open up about his more obscure work.

I really hope he answers as broad a spectrum of questions as possible.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2015, 08:57:51 AM »

Off the top of my head:

1. Hi Brian. Is there any news on your book? How did it come together? How did you feel recounting past events?

2. (and this upto the Mods to add Grin): Is there anything you want to add to the Smile bootlegs thread?

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »

I'm now going to completely ignore my own advice. I think these are the questions I most want to ask Brian:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The synth bass all over the Love You album (and in the odd spot here and there on Holland and 15 Big Ones) sounds so cool. How did you get the notion to start using a synth for the bass instead of a guitar? Can you remember how it came about? Were you inspired by the pedal bass used on organs in church? I know you used a pedal bass synth, the Moog Taurus, from time to time, so I wondered...

Can you remember anything about what you had planned for the track 'The Elements' on SMiLE? All we know of is the Fire part. Did the musical ideas you had for the Water, Air and Earth tracks ever get turned into finished tracks called something else? Were any of them released on the SMiLE boxed set?

We can hear you on the SMiLE Sessions boxed set experimenting with arrangements of a couple of classic American standards: 12th Street Rag on Look (eventually released as Song For Children, but without the 12th Street Rag parts) and You Are My Sunshine. Was there ever a version of Heroes And Villains with You Are My Sunshine in it at one point?

Did you ever plan a two-sided 45rpm single with two different arrangements of Heroes and Villains on each side?

You played Surf's Up on piano for the Inside Pop documentary in 1966. Then you recorded a full arrangement of the first part of the song a couple of weeks later. But did you ever make and record a full arrangement of the second part of the song, from the lyric 'Dove Nested Towers' onwards? Before recording it all again in 2004, I mean.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, yeah, you're right. I asked multiple questions, each with multiple parts. Exactly what I said was the surest way to be utterly ignored by Brian come Monday. As I'm sure these questions will be...!   Wink

Guess I just wanted to get my 'fantasy questions for Brian' out there. I am under no illusions that he would actually be inclined to answer these, much less remember the answers with any accuracy. In fact, if I remember rightly, he actually HAS been asked some of these questions before in Q&As (the Elements one, I think), and either given answers that can't be right or don't make sense, or said (not unreasonably, nearly five decades later) that he can't remember (I'm pretty sure someone close to him has asked him about the second movement of Surf's Up, and about the two-sided H&V 45, only to be told he can't remember for sure...).

So basically, the only way to get proper answers to these questions is to befriend Brian in 1966, like in 'Glimpses'. There you go! All we need is a Hot Tub Time Machine! Simples...!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:04:20 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »

Then my question will be:

"So, how do you want to run this?"

And his answer will be "yes". Sooooooooooooooooooooo......................... Wink

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »

Now that you gave us the release date for the Love You box set, when are the Friends sessions going to be released?
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:30 AM »

Regarding the multiple questions point, what if we had some teamwork? Designate someone to ask about SMiLE, about Smiley, Adult/Child, etc?

That way we might have a better chance?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »

So in other words, can other people ask all your questions for you?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »

So in other words, can other people ask all your questions for you?

Umm...no. it just seems like a lot of us are interested in the same subjects and there may be a better chance to get some of them answered. Less overwhelming for him too, a bunch of us asking 3 or 4 questions of the same topic.

Why does everything I say get taken the wrong way?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »

I don't think Brian would know how to answer that.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

I don't think Brian would know how to answer that.

LOL

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »

I'm just waiting for ghost to come out of nowhere during this Q&A.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2015, 12:27:13 PM »

I think we all want that.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »

It saves time.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »

They've set up a special forum on Brian's site where folks have been posting their question this afternoon in anticipation of Monday's visit.  It's been named the 'Ask Brian' forum.***  He and his site co-ordinator, Michael DeMartin, have been in and out over these past few hours checking the place out.  I am wondering what the heck is goin on there I have to say.  I posted my question...and when I went back there just to confirm the name of the forum a minute ago...while typing THIS***...my question/thread had been removed.   Shocked  I assure you it wasn't a controversial question.  I wonder why?  Huh

Anyway...it's a different board over there than it was when I witnessed Brian's LAST visit and this format makes sense.   The point is...THIS ask Brian thread may have inspired them a touch. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:32:33 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »

Now that you gave us the release date for the Love You box set, when are the Friends sessions going to be released?

Did I miss something???

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2015, 01:29:55 PM »

Hey Brian, what are your favorite cable and broadcast TV shows?

I think you'd be great on Portlandia (Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein) because it has got a very wacky sense of humor!

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »

Brian have you seen these new box set releases?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx