gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ask Brian a question thread  (Read 36959 times)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 03:09:31 AM »

"When you recorded "Breakaway", why did you put your dad on it?"

I really like this one. It would shed some light on the whole "Reggie Dunbar" thing. Who gets Reggie Dunbar's royalties? And whatever happened to the song "Lazaloo" (ahhhhhh) ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:13:11 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 03:43:04 AM »

Hi Brian,

When you are alone at home, or taking a shower, or just hanging out in the studio by yourself do you ever sing old Beach Boy songs to yourself in the old falsetto style?

Of all the brilliant tracks you have recorded, what is your favorite vocal performance?

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 04:57:37 AM »

what i'd like to ask Brian: what do you think of Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol?  police

Or, what're your fondest memories of Dr. Landy?

Thank you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPbpkM9he38  Wink
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:13:29 AM by Ghost_of_Dr._Landy » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 06:59:15 AM »

I hope you lunatics realize that Brian will not answer most of what you have asked.  Expect answers only to things like:  favorite track on new album.

Wait, are you that stick in the mud from the Facebook Q&A that whined about questions Brian answered in the past? Be honest now.

Honestly no.  I just know that Brian is basically a tough interview in that he is a short answer guy, and he specifically avoids everything but the simplest of questions to answer.  I had the same difficulty with many Hollywood actors during my time with 20th Century Fox doing junkets.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...it's just how he is.

I realize that. The questions I posed are what I'd honestly like to know, and from him. But I realize he's a notoriously brief and vague interview. I realize even if he were to say "No, Dada wasn't planned for SMiLE" or "Adult/Child was innapropriate and should never be released" he'd probably turn around and say/Do the very opposite the next interview just to mind-f*** me.

But you're right, that's just how he is. It's part of his mystique, and we love him for it. Still, on my end, I mean...a man can dream, right?

Please don't call me a lunatic.

I dig.  And I was using the word lunatic in the most Bill Murray-esque way of using it.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 07:09:25 AM »

Hi Brian,

Howie Edelson told us all to come and work for you for 18 months to get all of our questions.

What vacancies do you have going at the moment and can I PM you my resume?  Will work for archival access.

Your humble servant - Al

I'll need to know the pension and holiday set-up before I'm signing anything.

“We live in divisive times.”
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:47 AM »

If the Board has any control over the format and can moderate, then I call for general order and a focused, logical procedure, rather than having Brian scroll thorough all sorts of snickering chaos and silly intrusive "questions." I would prefer to submit questions to the moderator and have them asked . BW is one of the most important historical figures in music. He ought to be given the polite courtesy of an organized, proper, mature series of relevant historical, aesthetic, musical, and cultural questions. Personal and intrusive questions are bound to alienate him,as they would anyone in this setting. "Fan" questions are OK (everyone wants to know if he and Mike will write , record, and preform together soon), but silly anecdotes and things about Landy might be both sensitive and pointless. I would like to see more of a Dick Cavett (David Frost for you Brits) than a Conan Brian vibe.

That's the Professor's  advice.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 09:10:18 AM »

If the Board has any control over the format and can moderate, then I call for general order and a focused, logical procedure, rather than having Brian scroll thorough all sorts of snickering chaos and silly intrusive "questions." I would prefer to submit questions to the moderator and have them asked . BW is one of the most important historical figures in music. He ought to be given the polite courtesy of an organized, proper, mature series of relevant historical, aesthetic, musical, and cultural questions. Personal and intrusive questions are bound to alienate him,as they would anyone in this setting. "Fan" questions are OK (everyone wants to know if he and Mike will write , record, and preform together soon), but silly anecdotes and things about Landy might be both sensitive and pointless. I would like to see more of a Dick Cavett (David Frost for you Brits) than a Conan Brian vibe.

That's the Professor's  advice.

You think that your inevitable "will the Beach Boys getting back together again soon?" question will be less annoying to Brian than other people's questions? To save you time the answer will be no.
P.S. this thread is full of questions that people aren't seriously going to ask on Monday. You shouldn't be fooled by people's fooling around.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:12:17 AM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 09:56:46 AM »

My question is, how did you feel about Capitol putting out Duophonic fake stereo versions of albums you designated and carefully mixed to be mono.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »

I would like to see more of a Dick Cavett (David Frost for you Brits) than a Conan Brian vibe.

But ultimately it'll just be exactly what it is:  a callow fan-board Q&A...with very little A.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:08:17 AM by job » Logged
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »

Is there a song you've written that you consider underrated by critics, fans, etc.?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »

I would like to see more of a Dick Cavett (David Frost for you Brits) than a Conan Brian vibe.

But ultimately it'll just be exactly what it is:  a callow fan-board Q&A...with very little A.

Umadbro?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »

Hi Brian,

Howie Edelson told us all to come and work for you for 18 months to get all of our questions.

What vacancies do you have going at the moment and can I PM you my resume?  Will work for archival access.

Your humble servant - Al

I'll need to know the pension and holiday set-up before I'm signing anything.
Not me, I'll forgo all that guff in exchange for a weekend or 10's free access to the bedroom tapes and all those unheard '60s demos that must be under someone's bed.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2015, 02:30:43 PM »

what are the stories behind "Drip Drop", "Oh Yeah" and "Fig Plucker."?  LOL
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 02:35:28 PM »

When is the Love You box set coming out?

Yes!!!

Question for Mr. Brian Wilson: Can you please, please consider a 'Love You' boxset?

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »

Quote from: the professor
He ought to be given the polite courtesy of an organized, proper, mature series of relevant historical, aesthetic, musical, and cultural questions. Personal and intrusive questions are bound to alienate him,as they would anyone in this setting. "Fan" questions are OK (everyone wants to know if he and Mike will write , record, and preform together soon), but silly anecdotes and things about Landy might be both sensitive and pointless.
He's not a rare butterfly. I say let people ask what they want, within reason. If all these celebrities can handle Reddit's AMAs, Brian can handle us.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 03:00:50 PM »

He ought to be given the polite courtesy of an organized, proper, mature series of relevant historical, aesthetic, musical, and cultural questions. Personal and intrusive questions are bound to alienate him,as they would anyone in this setting. "Fan" questions are OK (everyone wants to know if he and Mike will write , record, and preform together soon), but silly anecdotes and things about Landy might be both sensitive and pointless.
He's not a rare butterfly. I say let people ask what they want, within reason. If all these celebrities can handle Reddit's AMAs, Brian can handle us.

If this was to be an open-ended interview, then perhaps that would make sense, but at only 1/2 hour there's barely time. It would be nice if we get answers some meaty answers to good questions.  And typed answers at that. It's a format that will yield probably 10-15 questions at the most, so let's all hope they're interesting ones.
" Brian why did you decide to join the Smiley board/ use this forum for your interview " etal, won't be anything close to what I'd like to hear... 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:37 PM »

If this was to be an open-ended interview, then perhaps that would make sense, but at only 1/2 hour there's barely time. It would be nice if we get answers some meaty answers to good questions.  And typed answers at that. It's a format that will yield probably 10-15 questions at the most, so let's all hope they're interesting ones.
" Brian why did you decide to join the Smiley board/ use this forum for your interview " etal, won't be anything close to what I'd like to hear... 
What would you like to hear, bgas?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:59 PM »

Wondering if Monday's BW question thread will be created in the Ask The Honoured Guests section?

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 11:05:23 PM »

Or in SmileySmilers Who make music, now he's got a user name and all
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:06:17 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 11:17:29 PM »

I've never seen Brian make a single comment on subjects like Adult/Child, the Paley sessions, or his relationship with the general 1970s LA scene, so seeing people immediately jump to overly-asked questions like "how do you feel about Pet Sounds today" is really... I dunno the word.

There was a story posted here about Brian attending the filming for Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense and going backstage to ask for Tina Weymouth. I'd like to hear Brian's opinion on 'new wave', why he did not continue experimenting with analog synthesizers, what were his preferred analog synths*, and how he approached Wall of Sound differently when using them. Off the top of my head anyway.

*I've never seen Brian pictured with a Moog, but I have seen him with various ARP synths.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 12:37:34 AM »

Is somebody here industrious enough to gather all questions that were posted so far and create a poll thread to decide which questions we really should ask instead of randomly cluttering up the thread that will be created on Monday?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »

Brian, I've read you used to watch Mission: Impossible a lot.  So which one do you like best - Cinnamon, Dana, or Casey? (Truth be told, I'll pick Cinnamon every time.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:06:07 AM by rn57 » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2015, 01:04:22 AM »

I've never seen Brian make a single comment on subjects like Adult/Child, the Paley sessions, or his relationship with the general 1970s LA scene, so seeing people immediately jump to overly-asked questions like "how do you feel about Pet Sounds today" is really... I dunno the word.

There was a story posted here about Brian attending the filming for Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense and going backstage to ask for Tina Weymouth. I'd like to hear Brian's opinion on 'new wave', why he did not continue experimenting with analog synthesizers, what were his preferred analog synths*, and how he approached Wall of Sound differently when using them. Off the top of my head anyway.

*I've never seen Brian pictured with a Moog, but I have seen him with various ARP synths.

I'm the one who asked about how he feels about Pet Sounds today.

I also asked about Smiley, Adult/Child and Paley, which are very hazy, hard-up-for-information areas of his career.

I also asked about SMiLE, which as far as I know he's only talked about in vague terms.

So...yeah. I think I was pretty well rounded in my questions. What saddens me is these other guys asking stuff like how he likes his steak cooked. More so when you consider that THOSE will most probably be the questions that actually get answered. But, it is what it is.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2015, 01:35:15 AM »

What saddens me is these other guys asking stuff like how he likes his steak cooked.
People are allowed to make a joke or 2 in nervous anticipation, Mujie.  I'm sure, on the day, we'll on be on our dweeby aspy fan-boy best behaviour.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2015, 04:16:45 AM »

Guys, I'm hoping to ask Brian one of the following questions on Monday. Which do you think is my best bet?  Have I got my facts right with question 1 - It was recorded during WH, right?

I know question 2 is a cliche but you never know, he might bite ...

Question 1: On The Smile Sessions box there is a beautiful recording of you playing Surf's Up alone at the piano. This apparently dates from The Wild Honey sessions and features some different chord changes from the released version.

My question is: What were your plans for the song at that point? Were you hoping to work on it for release on Wild Honey?

Question 2: Were you really planning a long A Side, B Side Heroes and Villains during the Smile sessions? If so ... how long?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx