gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:24:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The ask Brian a question thread  (Read 36953 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:08:33 AM »

Since the big man decided to grace us with his presence, I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can ask him our burning questions.

Will he respond? Who knows!

But it doesn't hurt to at least try, especially now that we know he is officially one of us SmileySmilers.

No mas, por favor.
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:17:27 AM »

Fun idea. Smiley

Here's one:

Hi Brian! (How ya doing, man?)

What's your favorite track from your upcoming album? Really looking forward to its release, sir.

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:26:13 AM »

Why isn't Zeppo Wilson on the new album? Is it some kind of message to Mike Love?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:41:54 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 12:36:20 AM »

Did I really figure out the true meaning behind SMiLE?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19408.0.html
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:38:04 AM »

Well, I guarantee I'll get a couple eye rolls for this, but...

SMiLE. Any additional thoughts whatsoever? Any sequence ideas that you had back in the day but changed for BWPS? Any tracks, like Dada for instance, that you could confirm or deny would have even made the cut? Any recollections on the missing pieces that have crossed your mind since 2004? Were the Psychedelic Sounds/Comedy Album skits in serious consideration for inclusion--even just the Vegetable Fight and/or George Fell, perhaps? Why the apparent need to work on singles come 1967--what happened that changed your focus so drastically?

Going off that, Smiley Smile is often (rightly or wrongly) considered self sabotage, or a passive aggressive move against the band. Alternatively, and especially these past few years, it's seen more as the logical conclusion to where the 1967 sessions had been heading all along and a valid SMiLE if different from the initial conception. For what it's worth, I think it's a brilliant album, but I wonder if you could talk about it. Anything at all; your goals, if it was a smooth transition from SMiLE, any memories of recording it, what you think of it now, etc.

Ok, I know those are a long shot and I know you're probably sick of talking about it and annoyed at guys like me who won't let it go. But I had to try my luck. Moving on now...

You set out to make the best album ever with Pet Sounds. 50 years later, would you say you succeeded?

You seem rightly proud of Love You. How about Adult/Child? How does *that* hold up for you? Are you unhappy it wasn't released? Would you care to do a big band style again? Will this ever be released, do you think?

What do you consider to be your best solo album?

Will the paley sessions ever see release and would you care to talk a bit about them?

If it's not getting too personal, why are you and Van Dyke Parks not on good terms?

Was I Just wasn't made for these times about Loren Darro Schwartz or Good Vibrations about his wife?

^Someone had to ask that last one, sorry.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:40:35 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 12:45:32 AM »

Dang, Mujan. Good questions!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:59:40 AM »

Well-done, medium, rare or blue?

“We live in divisive times.”
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:04:22 AM »

I asked this in the "Hi from Brian" topic but I'll ask it again here:

Brian, rumour has it that during the "Can't Wait Too Long" sessions you can be heard singing lyrics off-mic. The words "in the city" have been mentioned by at least one source. Do you remember these lyrics,  or some of them, or what they might have been about?     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 03:00:55 AM »

What was the original sequence of notes that you intended for  the intro to "I'm Waiting For the Day", that were replaced by the "really great mistake" by the session musician? Huh

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:26:50 AM »

Did you erase lead vocals that were done in 66/67 for the following songs:

Do you like Worms
Cabinessence
I'm in Great Shape
Look
Child is Father of the Man

clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 04:52:25 AM »

Who is Ron Wilson?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 06:03:19 AM »

Hey Brian.  How you feeling these days?   Huh  Happy with the way things are rolling at home and 'at the office' I hope.  Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »

I'd ask him
1)What was his favorite post-Pet Sounds song/vocal.
2) Favorite touring story
3) What's his favorite deli sandwich

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »

Brian, did you get new sneakers for Christmas?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »

Brian, what's your opinion of caviar?
If you had to pick one of your songs as Obama's theme song, which one would it be?
Have you ever contemplated switching your favorite color to red?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »

How cool would it be if Brian did a Q&A here. Hey, anything is possible these days  Grin

I would ask if he he wants to do more shows with The Beach Boys

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »

Who is Ron Wilson?

This. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »

I think there is a good chance we're gonna overwhelm Brian here. So I won't ask any questions. Smiley
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:11 AM »

Dang, Mujan. Good questions!

Thanks, I tried to cover all the bases. Doubt most of them will be answered but I do have an easier one I forgot to include...

Someone on the Hi from Brian thread mentioned a Love You box set. I'd love one, especially if it includes Adult/Child tracks as well. How about it, Brian? Any chance?

Also, how about a second release of SMiLE rarities, things like more vocal isolations, takes left off the box set, Smiley sessions, Can't Wait Too Long, Little Red Book, the other Jasper Dailey tracks... Be it a second box set or say a 2-disc set or online downloads or ANYTHING, I'd buy it and make good use of it. Pretty please?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »

When is the Love You box set coming out?
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »

I'd like to ask if Brian intends to tour the UK but it seems churlish to ask for anything else with a new album soon to be released, the film and eventually another book.  I just hope that Brian gets a great welcome here and some questions that he actually enjoys answering.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »

I hope you lunatics realize that Brian will not answer most of what you have asked.  Expect answers only to things like:  favorite track on new album.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

Hey Brian, do you remember if you recorded any sitar overdubs to Heroes and Villains: Bridge to Indian Pak somewhere around 8PM on March 2nd, 1967?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »

I hope you lunatics realize that Brian will not answer most of what you have asked.  Expect answers only to things like:  favorite track on new album.

Lunatics? Thanks for flaming the board. Consider this a warning.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 01:21:57 PM »

I hope you lunatics realize that Brian will not answer most of what you have asked.  Expect answers only to things like:  favorite track on new album.

Wait, are you that stick in the mud from the Facebook Q&A that whined about questions Brian answered in the past? Be honest now.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx