gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:38:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Clip - 1988  (Read 3581 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »

I'm sure this has been seen but it was a first time for me.  Brian is singing live, to a track, and doing a fine job.  I found the song as affecting as always, and the performance very endearing and hopeful, which is what the song is about.  Nice work... and with an additional verse at the end... very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4QeAo6kIkg
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:49:58 PM »

Never seen it either. Thanks.

That clapping though...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »

Other than when Brian played this song at the Malibu Clinic for the kids in 1988, where there wasn't a dry eye in the house, this show is the only one where I can remember that he sings the extra verse to Love & Mercy. Really good.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »

I still cannot stomach the album arrangement of this song. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »

The audience is clapping on the 1 and 3 instead of the 2 and 4! Sounds messed up that way!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »

This was one of the all-timers for me.  I think Brian was fighting back tears on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcqvknM6vFI

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 04:40:46 PM »

I remember when I first heard Love & Mercy in 1988, off a cassette single.  I was flabbergasted... it was one of the most beautiful things I'd heard.  I was shocked; I thought, wow, you can come home.  You can actually start to find yourself again.  You can tap into that inner core you thought you'd lost.  I've been re-reading some of the interviews with Brian from 1976, when he talks about how difficult it was to come up with songs... and then you get an instant classic like Love & Mercy all those years later.

The linkage, for me, is between 'Til I Die and Love & Mercy.  Brian released a lot of great songs between 1971 and 1988 - but those were benchmarks.  The end of the first phase - and the start of the second one, after years in the wilderness.  So this clip brought back some wonderful memories.

And so did the Kennedy Center. That's 4 minutes I'll never forget.  Thanks.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »

He's done a lot of versions of this song but I think he finally perfected it when he re-recorded it in 2005 with the "Walking Down the Path of Life" intro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnlMQ538IA

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 07:11:34 PM »

I'm really partial to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISkFEzC5XE

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »

Didn't the good doctor Landy write much of the lyrics?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »

Didn't the good doctor Landy write much of the lyrics?

He probably contributed a few lines or so but I think it's been said that Landy actually wasn't that involved in the making of that album.

MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 04:21:47 AM »

I believe Warner Brothers requested that the additional verse be deleted from the released version.  Still. personally I feel they give the song additional depth and really complete the song.  I was really hoping that when the CD was reissued with the bonus tracks they would have given us the complete studio version.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »

I believe Warner Brothers requested that the additional verse be deleted from the released version. 

Really? Did you read that somewhere? I wonder why Warners wanted that. Maybe Mo or Lenny found out that Landy wrote the verse? Not sure who wrote it, but it shoulda been released!  Smiley

MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »

I read that about the verse when the album came out in 88.  Might have been Rolling Stone.  The song is so much better with that verse.  If they didn't like the lyrics they should have changed the wording.  Something like this-

I was talking to Mike Love who just didn't seem to care.  The royalties we need the most is what we all fear.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »

Listen to Brian dropping knowledge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtBL6sS8Gg
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »

This was one of the all-timers for me.  I think Brian was fighting back tears on this one:

I had something in my eye as well when I first saw this. Damn small summer bugs. Tongue
Radfahrer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »

I had something in my eye as well when I first saw this. Damn small summer bugs. Tongue

Since I heard "I Have A Dream" by ABBA for the first time, I just can't stand to hear children's choirs. It's too mawkish.  Shrug

And this didn't make it any better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDEMdhmPVs  Tip Toe

Apart from that I'm asking myself what the youngsters in the audience really thought of Brian's performance...

Mistreating the English language since 2001. Mea culpa.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx