gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:33:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lorren Daro Thread  (Read 233836 times)
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »

Wild-Honey: I’m not sure I understand what you mean about being first to like a band. Can you elaborate? It sound like a question I would like to answer.  As to the second: “Anyway,  Lorren,  maybe  Marilyn was just scared to death of drugs, rather than trying to hold him back? Maybe she also didn't fit in with the crowd and felt intimidated?” Yes, all of that is true, and I don’t fault her for that. What I object to is that she was his wife, his life’s companion. If she wasn’t up to it, why did she marry him and take on the responsibility (a true and heavy burden at the time) of covering for him, for supporting him, for backing him up in difficult situations, to act as if she truly loved him instead of being completely obsessed with herself and her own needs? It is unforgivable, and I won’t give her an inch. If you can’t handle the job, get out and let him find someone like Melinda who can…

Lorren Daro

Thanks for your reply Smiley   And thanks for describing your life and yourself, you seem like an interesting person who's had a very interesting life, lucky you!   My first post was a cheeky reply to Mikie (about the band etc) .   I could argue a little bit with the supportive marriage bit (two way st etc), and I do think she was way too young to even comprehend what she was getting in to, but I get you are firm in your beliefs and you may be right for all we know Smiley  Thanks again for taking the time and effort to reply.  

Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 23, 2015, 02:25:51 AM »

To Buddhahat:   I'm surprised at you. It was Brian and myself that showed up at Phil Spector's door. Spector was wearing the foam ears and feet. Thanks again for your support, and the check is in the mail...  LD
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 23, 2015, 02:26:50 AM »

I find this all a little unsettling and have no idea why we are all so fixated with the past. The present is so exciting and for me far more rewarding as a "fan". I am more referring to the personal stuff.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:29:32 AM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:07 AM »

Those are a lot of answers! Thank you
I think I understand now. Your saying that you left late 60's then came back for a visit around 76 when the Landy scene started.
Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:20 AM »

MrRobinsonsFather:  If it was 1976 that Landy showed up, then I'm really wrong about the timeline. I wish my memory was more specific. Yes, I left Brian in 1966. Since I was gone, I am very hazy about what happened later. The news was all second hand. Sorry. Maybe you can write out a clear timeline for me that would help jog my memory. I seem to remember the days events, but not the calendar...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2015, 02:59:38 AM »

To Buddhahat:   I'm surprised at you. It was Brian and myself that showed up at Phil Spector's door. Spector was wearing the foam ears and feet.

Aah - I misunderstood your reply. Phil Spector in the foam ears and feet! No less entertaining a mental image.

Thanks again for your support, and the check is in the mail...  LD

Cool

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2015, 03:15:09 AM »

I find this all a little unsettling and have no idea why we are all so fixated with the past. The present is so exciting and for me far more rewarding as a "fan". I am more referring to the personal stuff.

I find the personal aspect the most interesting..  I like knowing what inspires someone to do something, or not do something.  Though, I remember reading Heroes and Villains and the David Mark's book and wincing at descriptions of Carl's. early um, "encounters"  I don't actually like reading or want to know that kind of thing.     I love this thread,  Lorren is describing what was happening around him and nothing really private is being told about anyone else,  mostly his opinions about people and events.   The past is interesting because it's what created the present Smiley

One more question from me:   Do you think Marilyn and Murry (possibly others)  were actively working with each other  in regards to  oppressing Brian's different direction with music/life? (This is kind of what I'm picking up from you??)   I understand this. Not saying I agree, but I understand (Fear does funny things to people).  Okay,  now I will leave the questions for the technical, far more informative and knowledeable SS'ers.  Smiley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2015, 05:02:22 AM »

Thanks for that great post Lorren.  Worth the wait...and what I had hoped for from outset 1.  Hopefully this will satiate our various needs here while, at the same time, it helps you to realize your goal.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:09:17 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2015, 05:13:53 AM »

Lorren Daro has contradicted so much in his short time posting...I just can't take him seriously.

If he'd have come to the board on day one sharing his side of the story in a normal, respectful way, I'd have sympathized with him and listened to him. But how many times has he contradicted his own stories so far? As well as being rude to so many here....

I think he's full of sh*t.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #359 on: January 23, 2015, 05:14:32 AM »

Say, Lorren, please tell us about Mike and why you dislike him so. Just curious.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 23, 2015, 05:20:53 AM »

He's made very few posts containing any substance...it's like he forgot all the interesting stuff he could have shared!! what sad, what shame  Sad

Nicko1234
« Reply #361 on: January 23, 2015, 05:42:37 AM »

Lengthy posts from someone who constantly makes me think of the phrase, `The empty vessel makes the most noise`...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2015, 05:45:30 AM »

He's made very few posts containing any substance...it's like he forgot all the interesting stuff he could have shared!! what sad, what shame  Sad

Well, maybe if he hadn't had to spend so much time defending himself he could have spent more time indulging our questions. As it is, I find his answers, coupled with his essay, prove very revealing and offer an alternative and fascinating insight into that period.

You could levy your disappointment at any number of interviews with BB insiders from the golden days. How much did we really learn from The Smile Sessions book, for example, where quite a few key players were interviewed (with one notable exception)? Astonishingly little, although I'm grateful for what we got.

Maybe the simplest answer is that a lot of this was so long ago that it has already been forgotten, or that those involved just never placed the same significance on those events than we expect them to. If I was asked off the cuff about my university days (less than twenty years ago) I might be able to recall a handful of amusing or interesting anecdotes from a three year period that was one of the more exciting of my life. A little coaxing and I could probably dredge up some more. Remember Lorren would not have hung out with Brian every single day during his time with him, I'm sure. I think people have unrealistic expectations of how memory works. "You were there - tell me all about it in minute detail and make sure it's all 100% accurate!"

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 23, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »

Mr. Daro - I appreciate your reply to my, admittedly not all that important question regarding Vega-Tables.   I do see your point somewhat, it is a pretty screwed up world, but maybe that's why taking a moment to have some just plain fun is worthwhile?  I don't know, I guess I have always looked at Vega-Tables as akin to say, Yellow Submarine by that other band  Tongue .   Perhaps it is also that I remember first hearing Vega-Tables as a child and, like Yellow Submarine, was a particular favorite at that time.  Sentimentality, I suppose.  What can I say?   Wink
Anyway, vegetables are good for us!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:53:01 AM by SenorPotatoHead » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 23, 2015, 06:21:33 AM »

Mr. Daro, given your opinion about Smile, what were your thoughts about the Smiley Smile album when it came out?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2015, 06:44:23 AM »

If Lorren Daro was the band's tour manager in 1963 but never knew David, then he was TM for 12 gigs, all but two in California, from October 19th... which would account for Fred's vague recollection and for David having never heard of him. Any other scenario in 1963 is entirely impossible.

And, to paraphrase Brian's words on early October 2012, while it's nice to know I'm not a mindless prick, it sure felt like that was what I was being called. I appreciate that some here find my logic & fact based approach to such recollections, at best, annoying but without a framework that (more or less) accords with established fact, they're hard to accept. I admire that Lorren has admitted some of his recall has been inexact: there are other players in the BB game who still won't budge even when shown unequivocal documentation. They know, they were there... even when they weren't.  Wink

I'm not going to comment on this topic any more, if only because I've already said too much and sailed perilously to the rocks of tedium nor, despite what buddahhat fears, will I chime in to the BW Q&A to correct him on this topic or that. Already done that.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:57:05 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2015, 07:02:09 AM »

Interesting about your view of VDP's work with Brian, Daro. I thought the genius of the whole proceedings was the combination of Brian's simplicity with VDP's baroque stylization. Part of what makes Smile so interesting is that you go from "columnated ruins domino" to "I'm gonna be 'round my vegetables". Listening to VDP's Song Cycle, there are some absolutely BRILLIANT songs there, but I can't help but think that some moments of true levity would have taken the album up to another level of accessibility.
I think VDP even adopted some of that sensibility, as on his next album he had songs like "Four Mills Brothers",  which is a very funny song.  "Palm Desert" has some zingers, but it's darn opaque.

Of course, if VDP heard this he might think I'm a blowhard. But that's OK, as Syd Barret once sang: "And the wind, you can blow it."
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 23, 2015, 07:18:44 AM »

Thanks for all your input and dealing with us, Lorren.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:53:21 PM by Michael Paul Garneau » Logged
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2015, 07:29:20 AM »

Paul J B: Hey, Paul, did you ever meet ML? If you had you would sing a different tune. Of course, he did his work. Why not? It made him a fortune. His resentment of Brian and his toxic jealousy of him created a poisonous stew. Did you know that ML hired a virtual army of lawyers who pursued Brian for years demanding royalties for songs he never contributed to? It made Brian sick. I saw the pain and sorrow it caused him. And I think it contributed strongly to his drift into hard drugs and mental illness. So many people hate ML. Do you think we’re all crazy?

Thanks for the reply. Most people that "hate" Mike Love are misguided followers that have never met him either. I have met Brian twice and I sure don't claim to know him. Anyone that follows the Beach Boys closely is well aware that Mike sued over song royalties. Has it not been documented that Mike indeed wrote many lyrics for Beach Boys classics that he had not received compensation for back in the day? That did not happen when you were "hanging'" with Brian or when Brian withdrew and stopped producing hits for the Band and instead spent a great deal of time doing drugs.

In short yes, I think most people that hate Mike Love are crazy. Most people that hate Murry Wilson are crazy. I find it ridiculous that a minority of Beach Boys fans who claim to love Brian, (a man that uses love and mercy as his slogan) and grew up in the supposed generation of love, find joy in hating a man they too have never met.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2015, 07:58:08 AM »

Interesting about your view of VDP's work with Brian, Daro. I thought the genius of the whole proceedings was the combination of Brian's simplicity with VDP's baroque stylization. Part of what makes Smile so interesting is that you go from "columnated ruins domino" to "I'm gonna be 'round my vegetables". Listening to VDP's Song Cycle, there are some absolutely BRILLIANT songs there, but I can't help but think that some moments of true levity would have taken the album up to another level of accessibility.
I think VDP even adopted some of that sensibility, as on his next album he had songs like "Four Mills Brothers",  which is a very funny song.  "Palm Desert" has some zingers, but it's darn opaque.

Of course, if VDP heard this he might think I'm a blowhard. But that's OK, as Syd Barret once sang: "And the wind, you can blow it."

I would agree that part of  the brilliance of Smile lies in that delicate counterpoint between high art and dumb whimsy, although I don't believe for a minute that Brian purely handled the simplistic part (not directed at you Mr Cohen). Lyrics aside, his music for Smile explores the counterpoint between complexity and simplicity with nursery-rhyme style melodies such as as Barnyard and the Bach-like complexity of Wonderful. I think Anderle was bang-on when he described Smile as Brian's 'cubist period' as it explores the same territory imo.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:59:30 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 23, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »

Just like when you've liked a band your whole life and then someone comes along and starts liking them too, and it's just soooo annnoying, right?  Cos you discovered them first,  and who are they to have an opinion...  THEY WEREN"T THERE AT THE BEGINNING!  Wink

Well, I just want to say right here that............I think you're a cute little booger.  Wink

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: January 23, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »

Mikie, the original silver-tongued charmer.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smiler21
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 23, 2015, 11:46:50 AM »

Thank you Lorren for your time. I really like reading your posts. I have two questions. What were the books, movies, music that fueled creatively Brian while you were in the picture with him. Also, could you describe a typical evening with him during and/or special anecdotes. Best regards, J.F.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 23, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »

Modern Cargo: At times, I have described myself as a ‘benign sociopath.’ I don’t particularly like society, with its herd mentality and rampant violence, bigotry and greed. I have never had a breakdown or a mental illness. I prefer one-to-one relationships. The minute you’re with more than two people, it all falls apart. I’m an only child accustomed to being alone – preferring it, actually. I always had one best friend and one woman in my life. I was married for seventeen years to Lynda, two kids, boy and girl, now in their forties. Always a bit strange, no small talk, philosophical mind, drawn to metaphysics. Always felt out of place, corporations seemed like monasteries to me. Could read and write at two. Skipped a year in school. Grad of UCLA. Lived by my wits, free from nine to five. Mom thought I was crazy. Sent me to a shrink. He told me it was my Mom who was crazy. Kicked me out after three months, saying I didn’t need him. Lovely guy.

Thanks for sharing your insights and perspectives, Lorren.  You self description (above) helps one to understand why Brian found you an intriguing guy to hang out with.

My next question - What was a typical evening like at your "pad" circa 1964-66 with various people such as Asher, Parks, and Wilson in attendance?  Music?  Food?  Drink?  Topics of conversation?  Various illegal (e.g., marijuana) and legal (e.g., LSD prior to 10-66 in California) drugs?

Edit:  Just noticed my question is similar to part of Smiler21's above.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:18:44 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 23, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »

Wild-Honey:  Oh, yes, cute one. Murry and Marilyn and Mike – the three M’s, as in murderous mf’ers, were the troika of villains in Brian’s life. And, they won the trifecta, bringing him down like a giant sequoia. My mission is to expose them.

Buddhahat: You score for me once again!

SenorPotatoHead: Yes, sentimentality. As opposed to sentiment. Two very different things.  Isaiah Berlin once wrote that sentimentality is the cause of all the violence in the world.

Fire Wind: Listened to it once. Didn’t like it.

AGD: Will you please get over the ‘mindless prick’ business. You’re beginning to sound insecure. I didn’t mean you. You know whom I meant. What will you do when someone calls you an asshole? Will you faint dead away? I quit GAC in June of 1963. Brian brought me on for one short tour in the winter of that year. It was not twelve dates, but just a few. We flew to New York and did gigs in New England, none in NYC. That was the one and only TM job I did. We were home before Christmas as I recall. For God’s sake, AGD, this was fifty years ago…

Mr. Cohen: What a breath of fresh air! Yes, that’s it exactly. It worked well with ‘Surf’s Up’ and ‘Heroes and Villains’, but not with ‘Smile’, or much of the other stuff they did together. Also, spot on with the ‘Song Cycle’ comment. I feel exactly the same way about it. I think it’s why that album never broke through. Another thing, several of my musician friends have commented that VDP’s sense of melody is deficient. They think that contributed to the problem, as well. VDP;s genius is with words, after all. Also, am I wrong that they collaborated on ‘Sail On Sailor’, too? Can you inform me about that?

Paul J B: Crazy to hate MURRY!!! Where the f* is your head? A more brutal, narcissistic, insane psychopath is difficult to imagine. Please leave me alone.

Smiler 21 and Custom Machine: So much to think about with this. At my ‘salon’, it was only marijuana – coke didn’t show up until the early eighties and ruined the whole scene. No alcohol. Normal snacks. No discussion themes, but everyone talking with each other in their own conversations. Yes, Asher, VDP, Brian, David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, Steve Stills, various film actors/actresses, ad agency creatives, Jack Nicholson once, Peter Fonda (with Crosby) twice. Dennis Hopper once. So many I can’t remember it all…  With Brian, the most influential subject was metaphysics. I began with easy books: Gibran, Krishnamurti, Gina Cerminara’s bio of Edgar Cayce, Alan Watts on Zen. Then came a lot of talk about those ideas and going deeper along the way. Brian lapped it up like ambrosia. I helped him apply those ideas of universal love, logic and justice to his frustrations and a lot of it worked for him. He began to see things in a larger way. It calmed him down and created a base for thinking in a philosophical way. I saw the results in his songs later on. Note: A fellow named Larry Geller, whom I knew and liked, did the same thing for Elvis Presley.

One More Thing: I’m not going to get specifically into my opinions about Mike Love. If I wrote down what I really feel about him, he’d have his lawyers on me like a pack of wolves. There is enough on the record elsewhere about his actions and character. Too many SS members are ML partisans to confront them here. I will say that the grief ML has given Brian over these many years created the most injury he has had to sustain.

Lorren Daro
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx