gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:32:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lorren Daro Thread  (Read 233810 times)
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 05:32:36 AM »

A bit of a shame this. I'm presuming this new nervousness is due to Brian's presence on the board. Either that or Brian's people directly requested it.

Wonder if it's worth directing any questions direct to Daro's blog then posting the responses here, just minus the defamatory stuff?

I don't think it's a shame at all. The guy sounded like an angry, bitter, old fart! The name-calling was totally uncool and offensive - even the way he described Brian.

And does he really have that much to add from a historical perspective? I'm more interested in the music and the ones involved in realizing the music.

He won't be missed.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 05:50:18 AM »

I wholeheartedly support the mods' actions on this.  Disclosure: I count Marilyn among my personal friends, but I am open to differing thoughts and opinions on how she and the Wilson family coped with Brian's mental and emotional state -- as long as they are offered tastefully and respectfully.  Daro elected to take the "low road" instead of the "high road," and therefore will never have my respect.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:53:35 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »

The "low road" Lee?  I thought he took the subway...the 'Underground' in London.  Like WAY LOW.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 05:53:43 AM »

Pretty sure the Darro thread on the Hoffman board was pulled down too.

Fishy.

Not fishy. It will be addressed later but I'll leave it at this...there were several things posted in there that crossed several lines that shouldn't have been crossed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 05:57:31 AM »

I'm sorry, buddhahat, I respect you as a poster, but it's not exactly right to say like "yes, he might be rude about Marilyn, but he was there, it's a 1st-hand account". But then it means others close to Marilyn have been giving wrong impression of her, including Brian. All I ever heard & seen shows the opposite image, that she was 'loving', 'nice lady', 'good wife'... Yes, she hired Landy, but how could she possibly know about his evil intentions? The guy sounded a bit tipsy coming here all of a sudden & posting his gibberish.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 06:13:14 AM »

The comments about Marilyn were totally despicable.  The Mike bashing is getting old and the "idiot savant" comment was insulting as well.

It's a shame because I'm sure he had some interesting stories to tell.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:20:28 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 06:14:51 AM »

Wonder if it's worth directing any questions direct to Daro's blog then posting the responses here, just minus the defamatory stuff?

Would there be anything left once you edited out the defamatory stuff?
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »

deleted comment...

...having a sudden change of opinion on the matter...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:36:20 PM by Michael Paul Garneau » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 06:40:55 AM »

The "low road" Lee?  I thought he took the subway...the 'Underground' in London.  Like WAY LOW.

Yep, I was way too kind...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 06:48:29 AM »

That was not Lorren Daro.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 06:49:13 AM »

Is this what everyone is addressing here? lorrendaro.wordpress.com I missed what was going on in here, but saw this on Facebook this morning.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 06:52:38 AM »

That was not Lorren Daro.
Lips Sealed

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »

I'm sorry, buddhahat, I respect you as a poster, but it's not exactly right to say like "yes, he might be rude about Marilyn, but he was there, it's a 1st-hand account". But then it means others close to Marilyn have been giving wrong impression of her, including Brian. All I ever heard & seen shows the opposite image, that she was 'loving', 'nice lady', 'good wife'... Yes, she hired Landy, but how could she possibly know about his evil intentions? The guy sounded a bit tipsy coming here all of a sudden & posting his gibberish.

I don't share his beliefs about Marilyn. Agreed - all we ever hear about her is positive so his comments are surprising to say the least.

Nevertheless, if we were to ban all threads and posts that in some way insult The Beach Boys, their friends and family, then this board would be pretty thin on the ground.

I sense that the offence caused by Daro's comments is directly proportionate to people's feelings towards those insulted i.e. the board as a whole likes Marilyn and Brian, therefore what an evil man this Lorren Daro must be. Would he have been so readily chased away had he been solely slating Mike Love and Dr Landy? Personally I doubt it.

My point is, as a board, we either permit negative comments about principal players or we don't. Otherwise we might as well draw up a list of who's ok to bash and who isn't. My guess is, the list would be something like this:

Not OK to insult:
Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al, David Marks, Marilyn

OK to insult:
Mike Love, Eugene Landy, Jeff Foskett, Lorren Darro, Charles Manson

Contentious:
Van Dyke Parks, Bruce, Melinda, Darian

^^^ Ridiculous, right? But honestly, I do see evidence of this hypocrisy here.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:58:58 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »

Also, I see a lot of comments about what a despicable human being Loren Daro is, lower than the low etc. - pretty heavy stuff. Really? Because he called someone he once knew a cow and is willing to explain his reasons? Because he called Brian an idiot savant?? Because he laughed whilst describing Brian's bad trip on Beautiful Dreamer???

All those posters who are such a great judge of character and who are able so confidently to assess Daro's moral worth - have you ever met or spent time with the guy? Again I see a lot of hypocrisy and double standards here.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 07:06:52 AM »

A bit of a shame this. I'm presuming this new nervousness is due to Brian's presence on the board. Either that or Brian's people directly requested it.

I don't think it's a shame at all. The guy sounded like an angry, bitter, old fart! The name-calling was totally uncool and offensive - even the way he described Brian.

And does he really have that much to add from a historical perspective? I'm more interested in the music and the ones involved in realizing the music.

He won't be missed.

This.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 07:14:48 AM »

All those posters who are such a great judge of character and who are able so confidently to assess Daro's moral worth - have you ever met or spent time with the guy? Again I see a lot of hypocrisy and double standards here.

I initially judged Marilyn's character based on written descriptions, second-hand accounts, and interviews she gave.
Later I met Marilyn in person, and my positive judgment of her character was reinforced.
I initially judged Lorren Daro's character based on written descriptions, second-hand accounts, and interviews he gave.
I have no desire to meet him in person.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:16:43 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 07:15:05 AM »

Also, I see a lot of comments about what a despicable human being Loren Daro is, lower than the low etc. - pretty heavy stuff. Really? Because he called someone he once knew a cow and is willing to explain his reasons? Because he called Brian an idiot savant?? Because he laughed whilst describing Brian's bad trip on Beautiful Dreamer???

Totally agree, buddhahat, but you're just pissin' in the wind if you're waiting for anyone to actually see your point.  Wall

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 07:22:57 AM »

Nobody on this thread that I've noticed has said that he's lower than low.  What they said is that he took the low road.  That's a very big difference.  Saying someone is "lower than low" is a judgment of character; saying that someone "took the low road" (or the London underground or whatever) is a judgment of specific actions.  In this case, those actions are ones that everyone who saw the thread witnessed.

And call it a double standard if you like, but when someone shows up and says that everything we've been told about Beach Boys history by everyone else is wrong because everyone else is a liar and then starts spewing ad hominem attacks against everyone he can think of in lieu of providing evidence for his new history, my instincts tell me not to trust him.  That in addition to the fact that he was responding to criticisms that no one on this board was making until he showed up and began "responding" to them.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »

The guy sounded like an angry, bitter, old fart!

Good description. Too bad though the thread is gone because over night I had come up with a witty way to tell him what I think of him without actually insulting him, using a collage of quotes of what he wrote.

No, this poster won't be missed. Reminded me of KittyKat in a way.

Billy, when is later? And where?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »

Totally agree, buddhahat, but you're just pissin' in the wind if you're waiting for anyone to actually see your point.  Wall

I just think it's lame no one else said what they're saying now to his "face" when he was actually here.

I do get what you two are saying, but at the same time if he really did dislike Marilyn there's ways to express that while still being respectful or at least tactful. To just come in with "she was a moronic cow who ruined everything" is the height of crass and immaturity. Just because he was "there" he shouldn't get a free pass to be rude and careless.

Combined with how he insulted Brian as well, tried to insinuate that everyone Brian ever knew was a jerk (except Darro himself of course) and his story was full of misinformation...I think we can make a few assumptions about what kind of man he is off that. And I don't think anything he'd have told us would have been in any way accurate. Yeah, every first hand account is biased, but the guy really was trying to paint himself as the only good influence in Brian's whole life, the unsung hero of the story and going out of his way to knock everybody down. Was that really worth listening to? I didn't think so. I know some of you did, and it's a shame you didn't get to ask whatever questions you may have had but I say good riddance to him.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »

Oh, come on. The guy, Daro or not,  wasn't here to share insights or provide information. He was here to inflame. The post title was about answering criticism of his "essay" that was written two years ago and that no one had been discussing, much less criticizing,  since it came out in the first place. He cut and pasted the same comments here and in a dead thread about it over at the Hoffman board.  He claimed he was here to defend himself, "taking on all comers" but all he did was spew invective and get everyone riled up.  Then he disappeared from both boards, with no real information given.

The Hoffman board realized this wasn't beneficial and took the thread down yesterday. Our mods did the same today. Probably had zero to do with Brian popping in and everything to do with the trolling nature of the whole thing. No loss, I say.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 07:49:13 AM »

I hear you Mujan.  While I didn't appreciate what he said about Marilyn...and while his 'facts' were wrong and while he must have been under the influence of something or other...maybe a libation or 2 too many...I expected there to be some INTERESTING backlash.  And then some entertaining responses.  And while all of this was happening I figured we'd learn something...IF the guy wasn't an imposter.  So I just sort of reacted w/o really saying anything.

But it didn't happen.  It did not continue or unfold as I thought it might.  He came in yesterday.  Saw that Brian had dropped by...likely read a few posts in his thread and left...never to return as it turns out.

I don't need to know a person in order to get an impression.  He made one.  It wasn't favourable.

Like...what a dink.

Really.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 07:51:25 AM »

No, this poster won't be missed. Reminded me of KittyKat in a way.

Very true. The timing of it as well... was it just some crank out to cause trouble, then?  What with the lack of any kind of new information and a similar put down Brian style... we were probably about due for a hoaxer with a grudge.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:54:39 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »

I don't need to know a person in order to get an impression.  He made one.  It wasn't favourable.

His appearance in the Beautiful Dreamer DVD told me a lot. I mean, his physical appearance...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »

He came across as super-defensive, strident, factually incorrect, and more than a little gaga.

That said, these were his own impressions of people he knew. That's different than some stranger characterizing Marilyn or Brian in insulting terms. If someone were writing a book and interviewed Darro, they might well decide to include those quotes (in context, of course).

Anyway, if the mods decided his thread didn't fit tonally with the board, that's a fair call, imo.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx