gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:43:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My threads that never caught on.  (Read 7416 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2006, 05:01:13 PM »

Here are some things I tried to talk about that failed. Most failed miserably.

Of Montreal: 6 responses, 61 views
Puerto Muerto: 1, 21
Prince, live tonight (show discussion): 2, 48
Cotton Mather: 2, 34
Half-Handed Cloud: 0, 15

Wow. Either I have some bad taste in music or you do.

Sorry about your bad taste in music, everyone. Maybe next I'll start a David Ivar Herman Dune thread.

Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:05:08 PM »

Lots of annoying people I know like Of Montreal, so I've never bothered listening. Never got into Prince, and I haven't even heard of the other three.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:06:49 PM »

Aegir, you're spoiling the plan! This thread's not supposed to catch on!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 07:12:14 PM »

I could REALLY use a picture of a waahmbulance.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 07:15:45 PM »

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 07:19:22 PM »

Great writer of theology, poor judge of character and too radical in his attempts to deal with sin -- caused the deaths of innocent women.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:31:05 PM »

Of Montreal rox.  Example #1: "Disconnect The Dots", an awesome throbbing slab of fuzzy afro-beat meets Beach Boys.  MP3 below:

http://mp3.insound.com/download.cfm?mp3id=2257
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:32:43 PM by idigworms » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 08:23:10 PM »

Of Montreal rox.  Example #1: "Disconnect The Dots", an awesome throbbing slab of fuzzy afro-beat meets Beach Boys.  MP3 below:

Their past two albums are full of beats and 80s funk styles, but the previous is a lot more in the Kinks vein. And their singer/writer/everything guy, Kevin Barnes, is a big Os Mutantes fan.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:23:48 PM »

Great writer of theology, poor judge of character and too radical in his attempts to deal with sin -- caused the deaths of innocent women.

You oughta hear the band, though. Kontiki is one of the finest rock/pop albums of the 90s...and makes my top 25 of all time.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »

Aegir, you're spoiling the plan! This thread's not supposed to catch on!

Actually, that was the point.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 08:24:56 PM »

I haven't even heard of the other three.

Now you have.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 11:10:06 PM »

I haven't even heard of the other three.

Now you have.
But at the time, I hadn't. And it can't be kept in my mind. Man is doomed to be free.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 05:20:26 AM »

I absolutely adore Of Montreal.  By far my favorite of the Elephant 6 collective.  The Gay Parade is one of my favorite albums of all time!  Thats right, OF ALL TIME!!  I love the new stuff as well.  Did you happen to see where three of their older albums, The Bird Who Continues to Eat the Rabbit's Flower, The Bedside Drama: A Petite Tragedy, The Early 4-Track Recordings, have all been re-released?  I highly recommend the first two.  The 4-track demos are cool to hear, but not essential.  Now if they would only re-release their full lenth debut Cherry Peel, I could die a happy man!  I can't find a copy of that anywhere!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »

I absolutely adore Of Montreal.  By far my favorite of the Elephant 6 collective.  The Gay Parade is one of my favorite albums of all time!  Thats right, OF ALL TIME!!  I love the new stuff as well.  Did you happen to see where three of their older albums, The Bird Who Continues to Eat the Rabbit's Flower, The Bedside Drama: A Petite Tragedy, The Early 4-Track Recordings, have all been re-released?  I highly recommend the first two.  The 4-track demos are cool to hear, but not essential.  Now if they would only re-release their full lenth debut Cherry Peel, I could die a happy man!  I can't find a copy of that anywhere!

I already had them all before the rerelease. PM me.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 12:27:33 PM »

how do you think i feel, i ended the small post of the monkees' re-release post by talking of marcia brady...nobody's said anything after that

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SG7
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 04:29:43 PM »

Man I really love this song! So catchy  Banana
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 07:12:04 PM »

What'd I say?  LOL.
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 06:05:56 AM »

i bought a copy of cherry peel when i saw them live a couple of years ago, but i dunno which version i've got.
apparently there are two versions, one where the band went back to do some overdubs.

of montreal's last album was horrible though.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 06:38:10 AM »

I actually somewhat enjoyed the last Of Montreal album.  Certainly not their strongest effort but I thought the first half of the album was rock solid.  It does start to drag about half way through though.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 08:00:36 AM »

someone sent a sampler through to me which had OM's Summer In Oslo (or something like that?) and i thought i'd give it another go. but no, i still hated it.
granted that style of music's really not my cup of tea, but it just sounds lazy when compared to what they (he?) can do.

Cosmic Dancer - did you ever check Strawberryfire against Mrs O'Leary's Cow?

and have you got elf power's latest?
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 08:38:05 AM »

Yes I did check the two of them and you are right!  There certainly are some similarities.  I had never noticed that before.

I don't have the latest, or any for that matter, Elf Power.  I am very curious to hear them but don't have extra money to spend on CD's at the time.  I am relatively new to the E6 and related artists world so there are many bands I still need to check out.  So far, there hasn't been much I have bought/listened to that I didn't like.  I have albums from Of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, Olivia Tremor Control, Apples In Stereo, High Water Marks (Hillary Sidney from apples in stereo's other band), The Late B.P. Helium, The Music Tapes, and The Marshmallow Coast.  Any other recommendations?

koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 08:57:06 AM »

well if you like Olivia Tremor Control you definately need Circulatory System.
its more or less OTC without Bill Doss, so without the poppier songs.
in effect, you could look at it as the third OTC album.
its pretty dark and not that easy to get into, but its a definate must.
Bill Doss is the Sunshine Fix now, but that's not quite so good.

and then there's Elf Power.
anything by them is worth getting (except Walking With The Beggar Boys which is more mainstream indie-rock).
all their albums are pretty different but as you seem to like most E6 stuff you've heard you'll probably like them.

those would have to be your next purchases.
of the "lesser" E6 band's i'd track down Beulah's When Your Heartstrings Break and the Essex Green's Everything Is Green.

I've not heard High Water Marks - what are they like? i love hilary's songs and i think they feature Oranger's ex-drummer.
Oranger used to be really good but i had the misfortune to buy their latest album on saturday. oh dear. it is bad.

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 11:12:12 AM »

Thanks for the advice!  I will try to check some of this out. 

High Water Marks is a pretty cool band.  It's really just good poppy rock music kind of in the same spirit of Apples In Stereo but much more lo-fi and less instrumentation.  Hilary's songs are still damn catchy and all around great!  I on the Apples myspace page that Robert says they are working on a new Apples record for either later this year or early next.  I am pumped for this one!!  Also, I hear we make get an Of Montreal record this year much along the same lines of the Horse and Elephant Eatery Singles and Songles album they did a few years back.  Lots of B-sides and unused stuff.

koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 01:50:46 AM »

might have to get me some high watermarks then.

cant wait for the next proper OM album - i cant see them doing the same thing as their last 2 albums because they've never stood still for that long, so who know what we'll get.

if you want to check out Elf Power, search for them on You Tube and it will bring up their All The World Is Waiting (and others) from their new album.
i love that song and i love the video. i love the song even more after seeing the video. its great.
El Goodo
Smiley Smile Associate

coffee man

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 03:34:58 PM »

dont worry luther, any attempt i make usually kills the thread  Sad
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx