-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Who Are You to Criticize?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who Are You to Criticize?  (Read 2119 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:26:19 AM »

This morning I came across this essay about experts' criticisms of non-experts' criticism. (Got that?) It was published a few weeks ago in the LA Review of Books. I'd say its ideas are relevant to several forums here.

http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/virtues-know-nothing-criticism

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:49:29 AM »

Yes...OK...those, like me, who know less than the experts and insiders MIGHT still have something to contribute...or an idea or thought to spark a meaningful discussion sometimes...but...  THAT was a hard piece to read.  It was sleep inspiring.  Might have been more effectively said in 2 paragraphs or less.

Gotta go take a nap now.  There's football to be watched later.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »

Well jeez, I wasn't nominating it for a Pulitzer!  Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »

Oh.  well in that case.  It was freekin' GREAT man!!! LOL  Maybe only requiring a slight, insignificant really, edit.

So yeah.  All YOU experts...quit trying to shut us down on this strip where the road is wide enough to entertain multiple thoughts regarding Wonder Woman AND Brian the boy wonder.  Still glad Kitty Kat got spayed and neutered.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »

This morning I came across this essay about experts' criticisms of non-experts' criticism. (Got that?) It was published a few weeks ago in the LA Review of Books. I'd say its ideas are relevant to several forums here.

http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/virtues-know-nothing-criticism

Well the LA Review of Books can't hold a candle to the NY Review of Books!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: