gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:14:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Bought the 'New' U2 cd Yesterday. They're Significant Beach Boys Fans...  (Read 7982 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »

I never realized it before.  They have a tune on the lp called 'California (There Is No End to Love)'  It starts..."Ba Ba Barbara...Santa Barbara/Ba Ba Barbara...Santa Barbara..."  and I'm thinkin'...THAT sure sounds like a tip of the HAT Cool Guy to *MY* group!!!

So I start to read the liner notes Bono wrote which take us back to 1977 and include these EYE OPENING  Shocked words.  Oh ya...I was shocked.  In a GOOD way...

and I quote...

"I sang like a girl….that felt uncomfortable until the Ramones happened to me as they must happen to everyone. cos Joey Ramone sang like a girl, he loved all the great sirens…you could hear Motown, Dusty Springfield, Ronnie Spector. You could hear an echo of your pain in his voice.. that's why you believed him, surfing to the future on a sea of noise…. … …LA seemed like the polar opposite of Dublin. We love being somewhere between extremes. I remember Edge, Adam, Larry and me getting off a plane in California and looking at each other like 'this is better than the movies' and that was just the airport! I went on a pilgrimage to find Bob Dylan's house because I gripped his songs tighter than the handle of any suitcase. I also wanted to see Brian Wilson's house, it was supposed to have a sand pit with a piano in it…and I loved the Beach Boys. They brought – rhythm for the body – melody for the mind – harmony for the spirit etc Brian sang like a girl too."

I guess Brian and the Boys had/have a longer [lasting] and further reaching influence than I ever really stop[ped] to consider.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »

If you're a fan of the new album, I highly recommend that you check out their 'Songs of Innocence +" album - it's got some additional songs, plus some really good acoustic versions of songs from the actual album.

As for the Beach Boys influence, these guys harmonize so well I wish they would do more of it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mo9xg-_sSw

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:39:04 AM »

I love U2. Like Kate Bush I was only introduced to their music years after the event.

I've always regarded spirituality as a key component of what makes The Beach Boys so special. The same goes for U2. Both bands take me to a better place.

Despite George and John, The Beatles simply don't have that effect on me. Maybe it's Paul and Ringo pulling in the other direction...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 07:48:01 AM »

"Would you get me a Coke?"

Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:29:53 AM »

U2 is my other fav band of all time! So its really gratifying to see how much Bono loves Brian.

I also think there are some parallels in both bands' history. U2's Smile was the Pop album, when they tried to reach for something beyond mainstream but got lost in the process. Unlike the BBs though U2 was able to do a successful comeback with All that can you cant leave behind. But I personally love Pop and where the band was at that time: experimenting, moving away from what they had done before, collaborating with top electronic producers...

There was no mental breakdown on Bono's or Edge's side, but the pressure from the label was too much. They had booked Popmart a year in advance so they had a hard dateline to release the album. In the end its not complete, something akin to Smiley Smile. If you listen to some of the better Popmart shows (Rotterdam, Edmonton, parts of Mexico City) you can hear where those songs were going...

Anyways, I love U2 but  they lost their innovation drive after Pop. They're becoming a nostalgia act like Brian, Al, Mike & Bruce, but I guess thats the normal lifecycle of a rock n roll band, no?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:30:57 AM by schiaffino » Logged

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »

Anyways, I love U2 but  they lost their innovation drive after Pop. They're becoming a nostalgia act like Brian, Al, Mike & Bruce, but I guess thats the normal lifecycle of a rock n roll band, no?
I like to say U2 are aging gracefully----the next three after Pop are all excellent to my ears. I've always loved the mellowness of ATYCLB but for some reason I'm afraid that HTDAAB and NLOTH will disappoint the next time I hear them. But they never do----in fact they sound better with each new hearing. I still have to fully get my head round the latest album. It's just a matter of time...   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:45:34 PM »

Doesnt surprise me. Any and Every substantial group PERIOD is influenced by the Beach Boys.  And every band/artist in the last 40+ yrs makes it known that they wouldnt exist without em. The greatest of the great I.e. the Ramones, Dictators, Dickies, Descendents, Queers, Travoltas, etc have ALL either covered the BBs and/or borrowed from em, very prevalent.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:47:26 PM by kookadams » Logged
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »

Doesnt surprise me. Any and Every substantial group PERIOD is influenced by the Beach Boys.  And every band/artist in the last 40+ yrs makes it known that they wouldnt exist without em. The greatest of the great I.e. the Ramones, Dictators, Dickies, Descendents, Queers, Travoltas, etc have ALL either covered the BBs and/or borrowed from em, very prevalent.

No. Just no.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:33:43 PM »

No. Just no.

Don't knock other peoples' tastes.

Books, music, movies, dog breeds, trees. Just cause you don't find them to be the greatest, doesn't mean other people can't.

In regards to this thread, I found that whole " Ba Ba Barbara Santa Barbara " song to be pretty cringeworthy.

No mas, por favor.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »

No. Just no.

Books, music, movies, dog breeds, trees. Just cause you don't find them to be the greatest, doesn't mean other people can't.

In regards to this thread, I found that whole " Ba Ba Barbara Santa Barbara " song to be pretty cringeworthy.

I'm not knocking his taste. I didn't say anything about his taste in music. I just don't think every band has been influenced by The Beach Boys.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »

Didn't U2 do a lot of BBs covers live before they made it big? Thought I read that somewhere a few decades back…

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »

No. Just no.

I'm not knocking his taste. I didn't say anything about his taste in music. I just don't think every band has been influenced by The Beach Boys.

He said "every substantial group", not just "every group." Can't say I agree with him on that (although certainly a lot of my favorite bands happen to be fans, as I later found out), but hey.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 07:12:30 AM »

As did I.  U2 is also my other favorite band-- in fact the only band I've dumped more money into over the years the The Boys.  I read about the U2 homage in the album's liner notes before hearing the song and jumped about a mile high.  I appreciate the call-out, but I can't stand the song. 

I agree with john k that U2 is aging gracefully.  I love fewer and fewer of their tracks as time goes on, but the ones I love are as enjoyable as ever.  They'll never reach Joshua Tree status again, but there's a lot of good stuff on that new record.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »

I'm just curious as to what Add Some means by "significant Beach Boys fans." Does that mean folks like us are INSIGNIFICANT Beach Boys fans? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 08:12:33 PM »

He means they are popular & we are just random citizens, obscure, no one has heard of us globally.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »

He means they are popular & we are just random citizens, obscure, no one has heard of us globally.

He hates us. Bono hates us. Everyone hates us. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 04:21:18 AM »

I think what I was suggesting is they may well appreciate the Beach Boys almost as much as most of us here do.  And that is, of course, noteworthy.  I'd imagine they own, between them, more than just Best of the Beach Boys Volumes 1 and 2.   [and then there was Keith Moon.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »

I think what I was suggesting is they may well appreciate the Beach Boys almost as much as most of us here do.  And that is, of course, noteworthy.  I'd imagine they own, between them, more than just Best of the Beach Boys Volumes 1 and 2.   [and then there was Keith Moon.]

I FEEL SO INSIGNIFICANT Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »

Not a fan of U2.  Therefore I'm not going to post in this thread.  Roll Eyes
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 11:53:22 PM »

Not a fan of U2.  Therefore I'm not going to post in this thread.  Roll Eyes

THIS THREAD HAS YOUR SHEET SO FOOKED UP YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING ANYMORE

I hope you get the help you need to get your life back on track.

No mas, por favor.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »

Im sure not EVERY artist was influenced by the BBs but all the good ones are, what would otherwise be? And I never said I was a fan of u2, ,!bono is very selfabsorbed.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »

I think there are also many artists  that have been influenced by the Beach Boys and they don't even know it. Sort of a six degrees of separation  situation(say that three times fast)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx