gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:12:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kokomo vs. Here Comes the Night (DISCO) article - worst ever  (Read 7478 times)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 07:39:01 AM »

Well I love all Beach boys eras and like them both.

Kokomo is a great single.  You cannot argue with the charts.

HCTN is actually pretty good disco tune.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 07:54:54 AM »

You cannot argue with the charts.

Yes, I can.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »

Anytime a song becomes a huge hit that you can't get away from, it's gonna be considered cool to knock it. if "Getcha Back" or "Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue" had gone to #1, we'd be dissing them, too.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »

Anytime a song becomes a huge hit that you can't get away from, it's gonna be considered cool to knock it. if "Getcha Back" or "Rock 'N' Roll to the Rescue" had gone to #1, we'd be dissing them, too.

Sure...'cause Surfin USA and I Get Around and Help Me Rhonda and Good Vibrations are all horrible too...right?  Fun Fun Fun, California Girls and God Only Knows?  Crap.  Sufer Girl, Sloop John B and Do It Again?  Junk.  Be True To You School, Wouldn't It Be Nice and Heroes and Villains?  Fly attractant. Evil

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »

Sure...'cause Surfin USA and I Get Around and Help Me Rhonda and Good Vibrations are all horrible too...right?  Fun Fun Fun, California Girls and God Only Knows?  Crap.  Sufer Girl, Sloop John B and Do It Again?  Junk.  Be True To You School, Wouldn't It Be Nice and Heroes and Villains?  Fly attractant. Evil

There's no accounting for the "I'm stuck in 1968 and everything after that was crap!  Oh and you kids get the hell off my lawn!!" factor.  Those of us who kept an open mind realize that Kokomo was a bonafide smash hit just the same as Surfin' USA.  Just because they sound different, doesn't make either any less legit.  No need to knock it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:40:11 AM by job » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »

If we had never heard the songs we poop on...but KNEW that they existed.  Who here wouldn't want them...and BE glad to have them if and when they were finally made available?  Even Wipeout and other wipeouts.  No group or solo artist hits one over the fence and off the widshield of the car parked at the far side of the parking lot every time.  They can't all be 1-A.

In virtually every song the Boys ever recorded or even helped out marginally on...there is something most Beach Boys fans could find to like.  They have a sound we like...even when it appears to have been used out of context.

THAT'S why we're here.  That sound.  And we all want to hear more. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 09:16:48 PM »

it's because nobody wants to be a fool.  Nobody (me included) wants to feel like they were stupid and fell for a trick, or were duped.  So when something becomes so big that everybody likes it... like Kokomo, for instance, after awhile all of the people who are caught up in their own ego start thinking "Well, I'm not stupid... maybe it's not that great of a song.  It's kind of a stupid song.  I think I don't like it... i'm smarter than all those other idiots!!!!"

You get to the point where you almost have to fight, fighting it!  It's hard to not get caught up in your ego on things like this.  It's also very natural, it's the reason people hate Britney Spears even though they've never met her... or claim that all the Backstreet Boys are gay or whatever even though they have 50 million female fans.

I'll also add that it's almost exclusively a thing that guys do.  Women are too smart to get concerned about whether or not a song is stupid. 
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 12:45:14 AM »

Ohh I adore Kokomo. I adore Here Comes The Night. The BB's vocals are just sublime as usual.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »

I really like HCTN, even the 12in remix  Afro, and Kokomo too.
But then I really like Looking Back With Love. (really).
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »

The last 5 posts are where it's at.  Thank you for your sanity.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »

I'll just say this about the disco version of HCTN.................  chimp scream.

If you have trouble with that, you probably have trouble with the record.  If not, then it's probably OK.

Or I could be all wet.

(Disclaimer:  I've used a chimp scream in a song myself and find that sometimes it just goes there.)

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx