gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:09:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper  (Read 2002 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:46:57 AM »

Sorry if there's a thread already - couldn't see one.

The new Panda Bear album out. IMO the work this guy does solo and with The Animal Collective is the best example of modern music building on the legacy of The a beach Boys' more experimental work. I think this new album is his best yet although its charms are subtle - a 'grower'.

I appreciate it's not to everyone's taste but worth a listen.

http://open.spotify.com/album/6bHsJXJoEdQTw3tUpHV8iB

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 04:34:38 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, buddhahat. Its charms are indeed subtle. I've just been listening to "Mr. Noah" and "Tropic Of Cancer". Pretty damn good. I must listen to more some time.

For those without Spotify, you can hear it here:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Panda+Bear+Meets+The+Grim+Reaper/9966802

Edit: An hour or so later, I've now heard the whole thing. Sound-wise I can't help comparing it with The Cure's Seventeen Seconds . Both are sonically rich but very sparing musically. I see Sonic Boom (Peter Kember) of Spacemen 3 produced the album. I like what I hear so far but I need to hear it again soon----as you say, it's a 'grower'.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:53:07 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »

Huge AC fan. Finally the new Panda Bear is here. Played it twice so far, didn't swipe me off my feet like "Person Pitch" or "Tomboy" did. Nevertheless it sounds gorgeous and indeed, once again, there's definite traces of Brian Wilson's world in there. I hope Noah Lennox keeps creating, since AC peaked a long time ago and continue to mildly disappoint. Which is a shame. The blessing that is their earlier works will always be there, though. Back to the new Panda Bear: for my 3rd date with the "Grim Reaper" I will try to create a better listening environment than the first two times: being (1) tired+drunk and (2) cleaning the kitchen. Vivo el Panda!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:11:11 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty non-plussed by the album on first listen but thought I'd give it another listen. Mr Noah and The Selfish Gene hooked me in and then on subsequent listens I found each track had something to offer. I never got on with Tomboy (although am now tempted to give it another try). I love Person Pitch but imo this is more rewarding overall. Of all the albums put out by the band, to me it seems the most in line with Merriweather Post Pavillion.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:59:18 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »

[...] Of all the albums put out by the band, to me it seems the most in line with Merriweather Post Pavillion.
I agree! Several of the "Reaper" tracks sonically look like the Dhani Harrisons to "Merriweather"'s George.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 05:42:43 AM »

Going to see him tonight. Finally. So psyched.. 3D
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »

This album was pretty good but still can't compare to Person Pitch.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx