gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:07:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need help identifying some Brian Wilson bootlegs I've found.  (Read 62360 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »

Mikie, you may want to mention that the 1983 Smile LP included the James Watt paper insert.

Well, if I include the insert detail for the first one, then I'll have to include the insert information for the second edition in 1985, by Nasty.....uh, Nancy Reagan.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »

Mikie: as for the SOT LP001 issue. It now says there's 2 variations, but there are 4:
- red vinyl
- green vinyl
- blue vinyl
- black vinyl
O, and it's a simple 1-LP issue.

Apart from that; I think it's pretty much complete.

Let me know when this list is definite, and I'll make a separate topic on the Reference subforum (including a link to this discussion topic, in case of an update)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:11:20 PM by SMiLE Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »

Mikie: as for the SOT LP001 issue. It now says there's 2 variations, but there are 4:
- red vinyl
- green vinyl
- blue vinyl
- black vinyl

Corrected. 1 LP, 4 color variations.

We'll give it a couple of days, SM. I'm still coming up with additions and details as we speak. 

Should we take a little poll concerning whether or not to include booted sleeves?  There aren't many......

Back in the 70's, I made photo copies of a few import sleeves for my collection. Does that count as booted sleeves?  Grin  I borrowed the originals from a collector in Sacramento, whom two of you just met a few months ago.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »

We could. They're not the most important part of this series. But then again, the KPUK sleeve and SMiLE reproductions are essential additions to the list.

Ah, Sacramento... Has it really been more than a half a year ago I was there? Time sure flies when you're getting older...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2015, 03:00:34 PM »

The KPUK sleeve was a bunt instead of a grand slam. A collector's item in itself with an unreleased record. Also part of the BB Collector's Series.

You know, I think we could include the sleeves, and provide artwork detail so we we know they are bootlegs and how to to differentiate the booted one from a real one.

What do ya'all think?  Yay or Nay?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but how was the approximate figure of 20 surviving Smile back slicks arrived at?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but how was the approximate figure of 20 surviving Smile back slicks arrived at?

AGD knows for sure. I think it may have something to do with the confiscation of product from the distributor after they were produced.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »

OK, thanks.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »

Beach Boys Bootlegs – Vinyl Albums, Singles, EP’s

Beach Boys Collector's Series:

Vol 1 - Bob & Sheri - "Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty" - (Safari 101) - Blue vinyl, white label, hardcover sleeve (limited edition of 1000, numbered). Also re-booted, black vinyl, pink label, white hardcover sleeve.      
Vol II - The Honeys Definite Album box set - LP, blue label, booklet, "Surf Bash" poster, button, facsimile "ticket" for the "Surf Bash" show. Some boxes contained BB Love You condom. (limited edition of 150, hand-numbered). Also re-booted with LP, black label, booklet w/He's A Doll" cover,"Surf Bash" poster.
Vol III - Hawthorne Hotshots (JO-103) double EP (limited edition of 500, hand-numbered). Also re-booted, double EP, white sleeve, all numbered "25".
Vol IV - SMiLE cover front slick - Uncropped, produced from the original separations (limited edition of 1000, not numbered).
Vol V - SMiLE cover back slick - Uncropped, (limited edition of 200, hand-numbered - possibly 20 survived). Also re-booted, cropped to 12" x 12", "63 of 200" typed in, embedded in the printing.  
Vol VI - Radio KPUK Presents The Borscht Boys - EP Sleeve only, Red w/Black print (limited edition of 500, hand-numbered). The proposed KPUK EP lineup was: We Got Love (studio), Toys for Tots commercial, Rock & Roll Music (hot mix), Pamela Jean, Auld Lang Syne (w/o Dennis)

Additional Vinyl Albums:

SMiLE (Brother Records ST 2580) (1983) Insert w/James Watt.
SMiLE (Brother Records ST 2580) - Second Edition (1985) Insert w/Nancy Raygun.
SMiLE (Brother Records) 2 LP's - LP-1 (blank black label) "Smile A", "Smile B" etched in run-out grooves, LP-2 (blank white label), "Smile C", "Smile "D" etched in run-out grooves. 4-page insert about Smile.
SMiLE (Vigotone ST-9002) 3 LP's - 2 variations - 1. Red, Blue, Green colored vinyl, poster, session sheets (some copies have printing on yellow labels, others have blank white labels). 2. Blue, Green, Yellow colored vinyl, poster, session sheets.
SMiLE (Brother Records ST-9002) 3 LP's - Pink Marble, Purple Marble, Blue Marble colored vinyl, blank white labels, session sheets. Ltd. - Hand-numbered labels.
SMiLE (Sea Of Tunes LP001) (2003) - 180 gram vinyl, watermarked on back cover. Also re-booted, Black, Red, Blue, Green vinyl.
SMiLE (Surfin' Records LP001 #1971) - White label, red print. Grey Marble, possible more colors. Re-booted from Sea Of Tunes LP001.
SMiLE booklet - 12 page photo booklet originally intended for issue with aborted 'SMiLE' LP release. 9½" x 10" (1992). Limited Edition 1,000 copies.
Landlocked (Brother Records HNG-10)
Adult Child  (Brother Records BW-1977). Also re-booted with generic TMOQ cover and photocopy insert.
California Feeling (Brother Records SUN-3329)  
Made In USA (Brother Records BR-409) 3 variations – 1. Manilla-colored cover with brown writing and 3-D lenticular photo of a monkey on the cover. 2. Yellow cover with black writing; no monkey on the cover. 3. Orange cover with brown writing; no monkey on the cover.
Brian Loves You (Local Reduction Institute RT-4661)
Bamboo (Bamboo Records ST1444)
Rare Gems (Quicktype BB1) -2 LPs - Rarities previously circulating on collector's tapes.
California Surfin' Music (LP BB 7010)
Good Time  (NR-47) White Label - "A" & "B" rubber-stamped) - Limited edition of 200

Beach Boys Collector’s Series (Making Waves LTD. - Canada 1983)

Beach Boys New Album (Collector’s Series #1)  Black, Orange, and Gold vinyl.
Beach Boys Adult Child (Collector’s Series #2)   Black, Orange vinyl.
Beach Boys Merry Christmas From The California Legends (Collector’s Series #3) Black, Orange vinyl, Picture disc.
Beach Boys California Feeling (Collector’s Series #4)  Black*, Orange vinyl , Picture disc. (*Title misspelled on the cover (“Califonia Feeling”), title on record label is spelt correctly).

Live Albums:

Beach Boys Meet the Grateful Dead - Live at Filmore East, 4/27/1971 - 2 LP's - (RAMA L-30158/9)
Beach Boys Meet the Grateful Dead - Live at Filmore East, 4/27/1971 - 2 LP's - (RAMA BBGD1/2/3/4)
California Easter Album - Live at Filmore East, 4/27/1971- 2 LP's - (Penguin Egg Nine/Ten)
Live at the Filmore East - (Old Glory Records, Series 300)
Beach Boys & Various Artists - Filmore East Final Concert, 6/27/71 – Matrix # EL 3304 A/B Sheet listing artists/songs w/photo drawing of the Filmore East.
California Surf Music - Live, 11/13/1971 Princeton U. (Contraband Music LP BB 7010)
Live At Madison Square Garden, November 1972 (Wizardo WRMB 359) (Actually Live at Princeton U., 11/13/1971) 2 variations - 1. Lime green labels with black print. 2. Bright red labels with silver print, "Wizardo Reissue Series"and "Rare Old Stuff" printed on labels.  Front cover has blue or black & white photocopy insert w/picture of Dennis standing in front of a microphone.
Live At Madison Square Garden, November 1972 (Cat 'n Dog Records #359) (Actually Live at Princeton U. 11/13/1971)
Live At Madison Square Garden, November 1972 - Resurfin' USA (Midnite Records/Renaissance 2609) (Actually Live at Princeton U. 11/13/1971)
Live Anaheim '76 - Soundtrack of "It's OK" NBC TV Special - (Wizardo Records WMRB 504) Blue labels with silver print, "Wizardo Records" and "Live Recordings" printed on labels. Front cover has green or black and white photocopy insert with picture of the group with Brian superimposed in the background.
Surf's Down - (Running Bear Records RB 0011) - Limited edition of 200.
Live at the CBS Convention, London, 7/30/77 (Brother BR 1977) - 2 LP's.  
Surfer's Nightmare - Live at Nassau Coliseum, New York, 5/14/79 - 2 LP's.

Singles/EP's:

Kenny & The Cadets - "Barbie/What Is A Young Girl Made Of" - (Randy Records 422)
Kenny & The Cadets - "Barbie/What Is A Young Girl Made Of/The Survivors - Pamela Jean/After The Game" (Wilson Records) EP w/picture sleeve
"Child Of Winter/Good Vibrations Live" - (Randy Records A-1/A-2) White label, 2 variations - 1. Black vinyl 2. Yellow vinyl.
California Collector's Series Volume 2 - Five Rare Tunes - Contains "Still I Dream Of It" (Bitchen Records BREP 002) EP w/picture sleeve. Limited edition of 200.
California Collector's Series Volume 3 - Beach Boys/Jan & Dean - Contains "Gonna Hustle You" & "Don't You Just Know It" (Bitchen Records BREP 003) EP w/picture sleeve. Limited edition of 250.
California Collector's Series Volume 5 - BB Live & Unreleased - (Bitchen Records BREP 005) EP w/picture sleeve. Limited edition of 250.
East Coast Girl/Little Miss Coupe (In Step BB-104) - (live versions of "California Girls" and "Little Deuce Coupe" w/picture sleeve)

Picture Sleeves

Surfin' - Candix 301 (fan-made sleeve) (90's)
Little Saint Nick - Capitol 5096 - (fan-made sleeve) (90s)
Barbara Ann - Capitol 5561 - (sleeve reproduction)
WIBN - Capitol 5706 - (sleeve reproduction, alternate artwork)
Heroes And Villains sleeve - BR 1001 - (fan-made sleeve)

Updated 1/27/15 9:15 PM PST.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:13:58 PM by Mikie » Logged

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2015, 11:36:38 PM »

- red vinyl
- green vinyl
- blue vinyl
- black vinyl

Corrected. 1 LP, 4 color variations.

I'll complicate this a bit further.  The colored and black pressings of LP001 circulating in the past five years or so are all re-boots.  They can be spotted by their generic looking Surfin Records label and bad printing quality of the sleeve.  The original Sea of Tunes pressing is black vinyl only, has nice Smile logo labels and a watermark picture of the band on the back of the sleeve.  The watermark didn't copy over to the re-boots but you can see residual marks from where it should be.

This is what the original SOT LP001 pressing looks like: Sea of Tunes version.

This is the re-boot: Surfin Records version.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:02:50 AM by AvanTodd » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2015, 12:27:42 AM »

I'll complicate this a bit further.  The colored and black pressings of LP001 circulating in the past five years or so are all re-boots.  They can be spotted by their generic looking Surfin Records label and bad printing quality of the sleeve.  The original Sea of Tunes pressing is black vinyl only, has nice Smile logo labels and a watermark picture of the band on the back of the sleeve.  The watermark didn't copy over to the re-boots but you can see residual marks from where it should be.

This is what the original SOT LP001 pressing looks like: Sea of Tunes version.

This is the re-boot: Surfin Records version.

Thanks. So there are 5 variation ! One more to find...  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:42:27 AM by SMiLE Holland » Logged

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2015, 02:24:06 AM »

Some additions:

Beach Boys Adult Child (Collector’s Series #2) (Black, Orange Vinyl)
Beach Boys Merry Christmas From The California Legends (Collector’s Series #3) (Black, Orange, Picture Vinyl)
Beach Boys California Feeling (Collector’s Series #4) (Black, Orange, Picture Vinyl)

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »

AvanTodd:

You said the original SOT LP001 Smile is this one:

THE BEACH BOYS - Smile - 2003 Sea of Tunes 12” LP 180gms Heavyweight Vinyl

Then the description on the back cover of the same album is:

"Available here is a 12" LP by The Beach Boys - Smile. Pressed in 180gms heavyweight vinyl, it was issued by Sea of Tunes in 1997 and has the catalogue number LP001. Produced for the UK and European markets, the centre label indicates manufacture in the EU".

So this 2003 issued copy on EBAY can't be the same as the original copy issued in 1997.  Then where/what is the original 1997 SOT copy? Was the original SOT LP001 180 gram vinyl? Don't think it would be but I'm not 100% sure.

And you're saying all colored (and black) vinyl copies are knock-off's of the original (1997) copy?  Maybe the 1997 version is the CD version and this 2003 is the first time on vinyl, then the rest are knock-offs?  Problem is, Sea Of Tunes (SOT) didn't issue the first CD Smile issues Vol, 16/17 until 1999/2000.

Let's clarify with a picture of the original 1997 vinyl version of Sea Of Tunes LP001, OK?   Sorry if I seem confused.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:39:07 AM by Mikie » Logged

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »

Oops -- a couple more additions:

Bob & Sheri - Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty - Safari 101 - black vinyl with pink labels.  This was a separate pressing from the Beach Boys Collector's Series blue vinyl pressing.  I forgot I had that one...

Also this one, althought the Brian Wilson connection is a bit more esoteric:

Blossoms/Crystals - Things are Changing / Please Be My Boyfriend - EEOC T4LM 8172-1 (with sleeve).  Japanese release from 1990.  The A-side is a reproduction of the rare Phil Spector-involved Equal Opportunity public service advertisement that uses the aborted Spector instrumental take of "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" as the music bed.  The original had "Things Are Changing" on both sides, and ran at 33 1/3 RPM, whereas the bootleg has an unreleased Crystals track on the B-side, and runs at 45 RPM.

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »

Bob & Sheri - Surfer Moon/Humpty Dumpty - Safari 101 - black vinyl with pink labels.  This was a separate pressing from the Beach Boys Collector's Series blue vinyl pressing.  I forgot I had that one...

The original boot (from 1980) was of course pressed on blue vinyl with a blue die-cut sleeve, limited edition 1,000 copies.

To clarify - The boot of the boot has a white die-cut sleeve and is pressed on black vinyl with a pink label.  Issat what you have, Lee?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:33:45 AM by Mikie » Logged

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »

EDIT: My black vinyl / pink label came with just a generic paper sleeve.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:35:37 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »

EDIT: My black vinyl / pink label came with just a generic paper sleeve.

Nothing printed on your white sleeve then? Some guy posted on the 45Cat web site: "My pressing has a white, die-cut title sleeve and is pressed in black vinyl with pink label".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:58:26 AM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »

I have a question for all of you guys with colored vinyl copies (SMiLE, and the Beach Boys Collector's Series - Making Waves).

When you bought your Smile and Adult Child, New Album, California Feeling, and Christmas albums, did you already know what color the vinyl was inside the sleeve? I assumed that when you bought them that they were NOT sealed so you (and the seller) could tell which color vinyl was in the sleeve? Or did you just open the sealed copies and, surprise!, there were all these color variations? (less likely).

The reason I ask is that I only have in my collection and have only seen copies of the Making Waves BB Collector's Series on black vinyl. And I've only seen the 3 LP Vigotone set on multi-colored vinyl. When you bought these albums you must have known the vinyl color of each one before buying it, right? And if they came sealed, either it was advertized with a sticker affixed outside the sleeve by the guys who actually pressed them or by the distributor/record dealer after he opened them and determined the color of the record first. 

Do you think the colored vinyl copies of the Making Waves series are originals or knock-offs? Do they have the exact same sleeves (covers) on them?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »

There's another boot on Ebay at the moment; Famous US Marches and No Rock and Roll   Old Glory 300 series   Plain white sleeve
Maybe it's the same tracks as  the Live at the Fillmore East I posted about earlier in this thread? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEACH-BOYS-Famous-U-S-Marches-LP-Vinyl-NM-Old-Glory-rare-bootleg-W-170-/191302884956     

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »

I have a question for all of you guys with colored vinyl copies (SMiLE, and the Beach Boys Collector's Series - Making Waves).

When you bought your Smile and Adult Child, New Album, California Feeling, and Christmas albums, did you already know what color the vinyl was inside the sleeve? I assumed that when you bought them that they were NOT sealed so you (and the seller) could tell which color vinyl was in the sleeve? Or did you just open the sealed copies and, surprise!, there were all these color variations? (less likely).

The reason I ask is that I only have in my collection and have only seen copies of the Making Waves BB Collector's Series on black vinyl. And I've only seen the 3 LP Vigotone set on multi-colored vinyl. When you bought these albums you must have known the vinyl color of each one before buying it, right? And if they came sealed, either it was advertized with a sticker affixed outside the sleeve by the guys who actually pressed them or by the distributor/record dealer after he opened them and determined the color of the record first. 

Do you think the colored vinyl copies of the Making Waves series are originals or knock-offs? Do they have the exact same sleeves (covers) on them?

Well, tbh it's thanks to this topic that I found about the vinyl colour variations of SMiLE and the collectors series...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

"There's another boot on Ebay at the moment; Famous US Marches and No Rock and Roll   Old Glory 300 series   Plain white sleeve
Maybe it's the same tracks as  the Live at the Fillmore East I posted about earlier in this thread?"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEACH-BOYS-Famous-U-S-Marches-LP-Vinyl-NM-Old-Glory-rare-bootleg-W-170-/191302884956  

Bet it's the same one:

Famous U.S. Marches and No Rock and Roll
The Beach Boys
Old Glory Records, 300 Series

Side One
 1. Good Vibrations
 2. Don't Go Near the Water
 3. Darlin'
 4. Wouldn't It Be Nice
 5. Long Promised Road
 6. Student Demonstration Time (partial track)
 Side Two
 1. Disney Girls (1957)
 2. Take a Load Off Your Feet
 3. Sloop John B.
 4. Surfin' U.S.A.
 5. It's About Time (intro only)

Sounds like the same tracks as MSG and Re-Surfin' USA (Princeton).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:58:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »

I knew that my copy of The New Album was on orange vinyl as that is how it was described and shown on the eBay listing. Although the 3 LP Smile set was advertised as "3-color vinyl" I didn't know the specific vinyl colours until I brought it home and opened it.

Comparing the black and orange versions of The New Album, they are identical (the vinyl colour excepted).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:09:40 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »

AvanTodd:

You said the original SOT LP001 Smile is this one:

THE BEACH BOYS - Smile - 2003 Sea of Tunes 12” LP 180gms Heavyweight Vinyl

Then the description on the back cover of the same album is:

"Available here is a 12" LP by The Beach Boys - Smile. Pressed in 180gms heavyweight vinyl, it was issued by Sea of Tunes in 1997 and has the catalogue number LP001. Produced for the UK and European markets, the centre label indicates manufacture in the EU".

So this 2003 issued copy on EBAY can't be the same as the original copy issued in 1997.  Then where/what is the original 1997 SOT copy? Was the original SOT LP001 180 gram vinyl? Don't think it would be but I'm not 100% sure.

And you're saying all colored (and black) vinyl copies are knock-off's of the original (1997) copy?  Maybe the 1997 version is the CD version and this 2003 is the first time on vinyl, then the rest are knock-offs?  Problem is, Sea Of Tunes (SOT) didn't issue the first CD Smile issues Vol, 16/17 until 1999/2000.

Let's clarify with a picture of the original 1997 vinyl version of Sea Of Tunes LP001, OK?   Sorry if I seem confused.

That record is the original SOT vinyl.  As to the different dates, I have no idea.  I'm not the seller and I don't know where he got his info.  If I had to guess, I'd say the 2003 date is correct.  If it was issued earlier than that, it wasn't by much.  I do not believe it existed in 1997.

All of the colored vinyl pressings are definitely knockoffs.  To answer your other question, when the colored LP001 started showing up they were always advertised by the color of the record.  You would know if you were getting green or red or whatever.  I don't believe any of them were shipped sealed from the factory.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2015, 01:33:27 PM »

Over on Discogs(I think someone posted about these ?) there's a seller with the 3 LP that is listed On Vigotone with this description, that seems to vary from the list:  
>>VERY RARE 3 X VINYL LP WITH INSERT + VERY RARE POSTER. VINYL IS IN PINK + PURPLE + BLUEY GREEN VINYL - LABEL IS WHITE WITH SIDE NUMBERS IN BLACK INK. THE SLEEVE HAS CAT # ST 9002 ON SPINE BUT T 9002 ON REAR. <<  Seller is asking 500 pounds...

and three other sellers listing Brother 9002 with the red,blue and green vinyls, at varying prices, so perhaps it's hard to distinguish Brother from Vigatone releases?  

As to the Smile back cover, the 20 existing seems a bit hard to believe as it would seem a lot more than that would have been sold. I checked and mine is numbered 81

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »

JUst had a  quick look at a couple of my Smile boots…

My triple LP has red, blue and green LPs in a single card sleeve, no Vigotone ID at all.  The red and blue discs have blank white labels; the third (green) disc has a yellow Brother labels. Disc five is Bag (or box) of tricks; side six is Brian's Smile era party. Came with a foldout poster of the over art and photo-copied sessions sheets.

My SOT LP001 is black vinyl with the rear sleev "watermark" and the Smiley label -  so at least I know it's the first SOT issue!   That LP, btw, was sold at some branches of HMV in the UK.  I recall seeing it in the Glasgow branch which, I think, was at the junction of Sauchiehall St and Buchanan St.  Remember being amused that either they'd been hoodwinked into stocking it, or one of their buyers was a massive fan and couldn't resist.  HMV, bear in mind, was once upon a time the pre-eminent record chain in the UK.  Actually it maybe still is, given the fact that there're hardly any chains left…

I have other Smile vinyls but time's against me right now.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx