gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:56:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Kim Fowley  (Read 11299 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »

When Bruce Johnston traveled to the UK in 1966 to drum up publicity for the Beach Boys and make appearances promoting them, we all know the story of how Bruce took with him an advance pressing of Pet Sounds. In Bruce's hotel room, a listening party was set up with an audience including John Lennon and Paul McCartney, as well as Keith Moon who would also act as Bruce's tour guide of sorts around town on the visit.

After John and Paul heard Pet Sounds at Bruce's listening session, they were so blown away and inspired that they went back and worked on music based on what they had just heard. It's how some of the more Beach Boys-centric sounds on Revolver came to be, and Pet Sounds remained a constant influence on the band as they recorded Sgt Pepper months later, asking that a turntable be brought in so they could listen to Pet Sounds as they worked up the new songs.

That promotional trip made by Bruce had a big impact, as minor as it may seem it did a lot to stoke even more interest in the band leading up to the big UK concert stand in the fall. And the Pet Sounds listening party also influenced those musicians who were there that night.

And here is the description of it, from the Pet Sounds booklet and reposted on Kim Fowley's web page:

Pet Sounds - Because of Kim's Publicist background with Doris Day-Marty Melcher, The Beach Boys Press Officer Derek Taylor commissioned Kim to deliver John Lennon and Paul McCartney of The Beatles, Keith Moon of The Who, Dave Clark, Marianne Faithful, and The Merseys to Beach Boy Bruce Johnston's hotel room to hear an advance copy of this Brian Wilson masterwork... Reference Page 34-35: The Making Of Pet Sounds Booklet {included in Box Set}

So it was Kim Fowley who in his publicity-press agent role who set that up, a minor event but one which most Beatles and Beach Boys fans know about and consider an important part of the history.

PS...this is more of the early history with the LA music scene that I'd love to hear Bruce speak more about, those days when he was in high school and just after when he and the other "kids" in his circle of friends from that area were cutting records totally independent and totally home-brewed in many ways that actually got them top-40 radio airplay and hits. And most of that circle of friends like Berry, Spector, Bruce, Sandy Nelson, and Kim Fowley would go on to be major players in the 60's LA music scene and beyond. I'd really like to hear more from Bruce as he was smack-dab in the middle of what would become the LA music empire of the 60's as it was all getting started by a group of high school kids in SoCal.

Even though Bruce doesn't seem to be interested to write a book about his life, maybe that's just because he thinks the expectation would be to talk about the unpleasant times that were surely part of the experience of being a BB at various times. But maybe he could be convinced to contribute significant writings pertaining to stories like these. I'm sure his stories could still be told without the gossip.  It's historically important.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:18:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »

Aw man, what a shame. He was definitely QUITE the character, a marvelous freak, and absolutely hilarious to banter with. I thought he was off making bizarre underground videos these days, not dyin' of cancer. Fucking cancer. There's some fun compilation discs of his weirdness floating around, time to blast one...
RIGHT ON!

R.I.P. Fowley...... Undecided

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:37:48 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »

Pet Sounds remained a constant influence on the band as they recorded Sgt Pepper months later, asking that a turntable be brought in so they could listen to Pet Sounds as they worked up the new songs.
Source?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »

Pet Sounds remained a constant influence on the band as they recorded Sgt Pepper months later, asking that a turntable be brought in so they could listen to Pet Sounds as they worked up the new songs.
Source?

Geoff Emerick, the engineer who won a Grammy for Sgt. Pepper.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »

Source?

Check out the book 'Here, There, and Everywhere' by Emerick, Appak. It's a great read, and yes, does delve into the Pet Sounds influence a bit.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »

Rolling Stone's Obit:  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kim-fowley-runaways-dead-at-75-20150115

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »

Source?

Check out the book 'Here, There, and Everywhere' by Emerick, Appak. It's a great read, and yes, does delve into the Pet Sounds influence a bit.
I have heard this too, and also own the book, and can't find such a statement anywhere.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »

Source?

I have heard this too, and also own the book, and can't find such a statement anywhere.
I don't have the book, but does this help? http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=856.0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

In the wake of Kim's death, Mike Stax has just posted the entire, very long interview with him he did in Ugly Things magazine in 2001.  It primarily covers the period from the start of '64 to the end of '69, but Kim manages to work in many references to his pre-'64 career.

In it he describes precisely what he did on behalf of Pet Sounds in the UK.  It's interesting that Derek Taylor acted as the middleman when Kim arranged to help Bruce bring PS to the attention of the UK's pop royalty. (With some assistance from Keith Moon, which is rather ironic because the latter, who loved the early BBs and insisted that the Who cover Jan & Dean's "Bucket T," turned out to not much like the band's post-PS direction.)

He also tells what Brian said in '63 when Kim asked him the secret to his success.  The whole talk is much more interesting than a lot of those interviews of Kim's when the person talking to him didn't know much about his career beyond the Runaways and Alley Oop.

http://ugly-things.com/kim-fowley-sins-secrets-of-the-silver-sixties/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:40:55 PM by rn57 » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 02:57:59 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/kim-fowley-an-appreciation

Jim Bessman's column above has a quote from Brian (as spoken to Andy Paley some years ago) about Kim.  As short as it is, it's a pretty high compliment.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 11:22:58 PM »

In the wake of Kim's death, Mike Stax has just posted the entire, very long interview with him he did in Ugly Things magazine in 2001.  It primarily covers the period from the start of '64 to the end of '69, but Kim manages to work in many references to his pre-'64 career.

In it he describes precisely what he did on behalf of Pet Sounds in the UK.  It's interesting that Derek Taylor acted as the middleman when Kim arranged to help Bruce bring PS to the attention of the UK's pop royalty. (With some assistance from Keith Moon, which is rather ironic because the latter, who loved the early BBs and insisted that the Who cover Jan & Dean's "Bucket T," turned out to not much like the band's post-PS direction.)

He also tells what Brian said in '63 when Kim asked him the secret to his success.  The whole talk is much more interesting than a lot of those interviews of Kim's when the person talking to him didn't know much about his career beyond the Runaways and Alley Oop.

That is one of the best interview/articles I've read in a long time, just fascinating. I'd highly recommend anyone interested in 60's rock read this, you won't forget it. It again makes connections in and within the LA scene that makes it seem even smaller and more closely-related than a lot of people might think. Danny Hutton spinning and talking up those Vee-Jay Beatles records in late '63 when no one would listen, holy cow.

Love to know more about Kim writing songs with Bruce when they were in high school together.

Best part for me: John Lennon revealing the secret to The Beatles in one sentence. Never, NEVER heard that before in all of the Beatle books and mags I've read, but it's the stone-cold truth if you think about it and listen to their records. Dylan, Brian Wilson...one-sentence answers to Kim when asked what their secret was. Amazing.

Very enjoyable and informative, thanks for posting!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 08:05:17 AM »

You're welcome guitarfool2002.   Incredible as it may seem, there was something Kim left out of the interview about his '60s days. On Facebook a couple days ago, Ruthann Friedman who wrote the Association hit Windy said that she used to see a lot of Kim around the start of '66.

And where was that? At Van Dyke Parks' pad - apparently the one above a gas station with no bathroom where VDP was living when Brian asked him to collaborate on Smile. Ruthann says Kim was crashing on Van Dyke's sofa.  Man.....think of the late-night conversations those two must have had. 

Below, an interview Kim did in more recent years, where he says the first song he ever wrote and published was titled "Baby Don't Leave Me" and that he co-wrote it with Bruce. He is  (in keeping with his habit of stressing his music-biz "cred" despite his wild rep)  very quick to remind the interviewer that Bruce later composed "I Write The Songs."

Although I should add that this interview seems to be the only place anywhere that Kim mentions this song.  It does not show up under his name or Bruce's in the BMI or ASCAP databases. But then again he might have misremembered the title.

http://www.antimusic.com/morley/12/KimFowleyPart1.shtml
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »

In the wake of Kim's death, Mike Stax has just posted the entire, very long interview with him he did in Ugly Things magazine in 2001.  It primarily covers the period from the start of '64 to the end of '69, but Kim manages to work in many references to his pre-'64 career.

In it he describes precisely what he did on behalf of Pet Sounds in the UK.  It's interesting that Derek Taylor acted as the middleman when Kim arranged to help Bruce bring PS to the attention of the UK's pop royalty. (With some assistance from Keith Moon, which is rather ironic because the latter, who loved the early BBs and insisted that the Who cover Jan & Dean's "Bucket T," turned out to not much like the band's post-PS direction.)

He also tells what Brian said in '63 when Kim asked him the secret to his success.  The whole talk is much more interesting than a lot of those interviews of Kim's when the person talking to him didn't know much about his career beyond the Runaways and Alley Oop.

Like Guitarfool, I also want to chime in thanking you for that link. That has to be the most funny interview I've ever read. Hands down! I laughed out loud several times. Who knows how much of it is true, but if nothing else, Kim really was a great storyteller.  Smiley

His passing prompted me to post on my blog about one of his more obscure recordings, - one that was produced by Phil Spector no less. And as you can imagine, the sh-- really hit the fan when those two madmen hit the studio. All very entertaining as relayed by Fowley...

www.cuecastanets.wordpress.com

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

Guitarfool and Kwan_dk: if Fowley's tales of life in London with PJ Proby entertained you, the interview below is worth looking it. It is pretty much the only time Proby talked at length about his career to a reporter in nearly the last 20 years.  The rule of thumb with his stories - as I guess was true of the ones Kim told - is that the more insane and improbable they appear to be, the more likely they are to have actually happened. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/pj-proby-could-the-nowpenniless-singer-be-ready-for-a-comeback-403806.html

Now that Brian has joined us, I have half a mind to ask him what his favorite Fowley production is.  I have the feeling that it's Popsicles And Icicles, but maybe there are some others he likes.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »

Mr. Fowley may have been entertaining in the public eye, but a very good friend of mine happened to interview him a couple years back, and it was a demonic, misogynistic experience much along the lines of Gene Simmons vs. Terry Gross, according to her.

I know some people say, "hey, that's just rock'n'roll", but I say it's just abusive.

SBonilla
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »

Mr. Fowley may have been entertaining in the public eye, but a very good friend of mine happened to interview him a couple years back, and it was a demonic, misogynistic experience much along the lines of Gene Simmons vs. Terry Gross, according to her.

I know some people say, "hey, that's just rock'n'roll", but I say it's just abusive.

That is how he was. Believe her.
He never got called out for his behavior.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »

I had a bizarre experience with Kim Fowley once, around 1991.  I was living on a friend's floor in North Hollywood, fast asleep, and the phone rang at 3 a.m.  A voice on the other end barked, "this is Kim Fowley" and proceeded to go on a half hour long non-stop monologue about music, style and life.  I was so out of it and confused I just listened and tried to take it all in, but I couldn't follow anything that was being said.  After a while I couldn't do it anymore and begged off.  I had had a column in a local music paper at the time, so I assume that's how he got the number, but that was never made clear.  I was never even sure if he knew who I was.

In fact, I never found out what he was calling about, what he was talking about, or what he wanted.  And I don't believe I ever encountered him again.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 12:34:34 AM »

Below, most of the chapter about Fowley that appears in Evelyn McDonnell's book about The Runaways, Queens Of Noise.  Some of the book is a bit overwritten and bombastic - probably the effect of Kim subjecting McDonnell to several three-hour phone calls a week for months on end, since that much exposure to him would undoubtedly affect one in a lot of ways.  But this is written in a somewhat more restrained manner. Anyway it's a good introduction to what he was about.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/legendary-prick-192b8bfada06
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »

I should also mention the book California Confidential, published in Australia in 2000. It is a 70 page transcript of an interview Stephen J. McParland did with Kim, with 20 pages of footnotes, and focuses on Kim's career from its start with Bruce Johnston and Sandy Nelson in '57-58 until the end of 1963.  So it complements the Ugly Things interview as an account of his work up to 1970.  But nothing from it is online, and the book (like most of McParland's works) has long been out of print and was hard to obtain even right when it was published. I don't see any copies being offered online now.
SBonilla
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2015, 03:20:38 PM »

I should also mention the book California Confidential, published in Australia in 2000. It is a 70 page transcript of an interview Stephen J. McParland did with Kim, with 20 pages of footnotes, and focuses on Kim's career from its start with Bruce Johnston and Sandy Nelson in '57-58 until the end of 1963.  So it complements the Ugly Things interview as an account of his work up to 1970.  But nothing from it is online, and the book (like most of McParland's works) has long been out of print and was hard to obtain even right when it was published. I don't see any copies being offered online now.
For five bucks, the downlodable PDF version with two extra interviews is available here: https://payhip.com/b/Q6uP

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21:33 PM »

I had a bizarre experience with Kim Fowley once, around 1991.  I was living on a friend's floor in North Hollywood, fast asleep, and the phone rang at 3 a.m.  A voice on the other end barked, "this is Kim Fowley" and proceeded to go on a half hour long non-stop monologue about music, style and life.  I was so out of it and confused I just listened and tried to take it all in, but I couldn't follow anything that was being said.  After a while I couldn't do it anymore and begged off.  I had had a column in a local music paper at the time, so I assume that's how he got the number, but that was never made clear.  I was never even sure if he knew who I was.

In fact, I never found out what he was calling about, what he was talking about, or what he wanted.  And I don't believe I ever encountered him again.

Heh.  It must have been snowing heavily that night wherever Kim was.
SBonilla
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »

Heh.  It must have been snowing heavily that night wherever Kim was.
Meaning? 3am was late afternoon to him. If he caught you on a late night hustle call, it could go for hours. 
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »

Joan Jett, Rodney Bingenheimer & More Pay Respects to Kim Fowley at Hollywood Funeral

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6450378/kim-fowley-funeral-joan-jett
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:59 AM »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/25/funeral-for-a-fiend/

Above, an account of Fowley's funeral by a journalist who was there - and who earned the privilege of an invitation by interviewing Kim for Hustler magazine. (And also rockerzine.com)

The Animal God Of The Streets said in 2012 that he wanted his remains dismembered by crazy teenage goth chicks and put on display on the cover of Girls & Corpses magazine afterwards, but there was a subsequent change of plans and instead he's in Hollywood Forever Cemetery with Johnny and Dee Dee Ramone...and Rudolph Valentino.

I suppose it's now time for his widow to gather up his effects - the ones he had in LA and the memorabilia that is supposed to be in Glenn A. Baker's custody Down Under - and put together a Kim Fowley Museum. The best location for that would have to be a former Oki Dog. Or at least a Fatburger place.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:40:30 AM by rn57 » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »

Author Pamela Des Barres' Tribute to Kim Fowley: 'He Had Faith in Humanity and We Constantly Disappointed Him'

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6457958/pamela-des-barres-kim-fowley-tribute?utm_source=GooglePlus
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx