gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:56:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could only keep one album from the 1968-1973 period?  (Read 10423 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 04:11:40 PM »

Friends -no doubt about it
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 06:26:13 PM »

It's a tie-Concert and Surf's Up.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »

Probably Surfs Up, but it's rough leaving several of my overall favorites behind.

This isn't being enforced, is it? or is it just one of those stupid internet rumors like about the gov'ment?  Wink

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »

Sunflower - it's the closest thing to a perfect album after PS. And yes, I don't even mind that damn Tears in the Morning.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 11:56:57 PM »

Happy to see all the love for Friends! It has been my favorite for decades.

Friends would be my top choice too.

My rankings:

1. Friends
2. In Concert

3. CATP So Tough
4. Sunflower
5. 20/20
6. Surf's up (these 4 very close)

7. Live in London
8. Holland
9. Stack o Tracks

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 12:11:22 AM »

A data DVD-R containing their 1968-1973 albums AND MORE put into a CD case with "i luv the beach byos" written in comic sans as the album cover

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 01:29:07 AM »

Surf's Up w/ "WIBNTLA" as the bonus cut. That was easy.

+ 1 - + Fourth of July too.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 03:14:27 AM »

It's funny how Friends has gathered so many dedicated followers by this point considering it was one of their biggest flops in terms of sales and it's definitely not the most exciting record by conventional rock standards (unlike Surf's Up, for example).

For me, it's almost like an Ambient record and I mean that in an entirely positive way (after all it's my own personal fave as well).
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 05:10:35 AM »

It's funny how Friends has gathered so many dedicated followers by this point considering it was one of their biggest flops in terms of sales and it's definitely not the most exciting record by conventional rock standards (unlike Surf's Up, for example).

For me, it's almost like an Ambient record and I mean that in an entirely positive way (after all it's my own personal fave as well).

What wasn't cool and hip back then becomes so now, because we get tired of those bands and trends we're supposed to consider classic for their time. That's why nowadays 'Village Green Preservation Society' is more appreciated than the Grateful Dead, for example. 'Friends' seems so strange when placed in the 1968 context - a record so unassuming, so unpretentious, so modest in concept released in a year when there was so much going on - that it becomes brilliant and refreshing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 05:52:33 AM »

Along those lines, I think it's fascinating to hear and appreciate music both in and out of its original context. Don't dismiss something being perfectly of its time (even if it doesn't work later). That's its own kind of brilliant.

It is hard to imagine in hindsight Friends having been a commercial success. Even now it wouldn't be, though history has been good to it. Pendulums swing, though, and wank-rock (or whatever) will push its reputation back down again. Funny how unchanging, recorded material can improve and diminish in its merit/quality...  Roll Eyes (if an opinionated listener bloviates in the woods with nobody there to hear him, does he make a sound? Probably, because he's only speaking to hear himself anyway.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 05:55:11 AM »

And it was then too...for me.  I wore out my vinyl Friends...and had to buy another.  Then I wore out my cd Friends...and had to buy another.  Not a perfect album.  But...aian for me...the first really, REALLY good album after Pet Sounds.  I much prefer it to Wild Honey and especially SS. 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »

Only one...?

Then it has to be Surf's Up, but my custom version including Big Sur, 4th of July, WIBNTLA and Lady (and keeping all the other tracks). Killer bee.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »

And it was then too...for me.  I wore out my vinyl Friends...and had to buy another.  Then I wore out my cd Friends...and had to buy another.  Not a perfect album.  But...aian for me...the first really, REALLY good album after Pet Sounds.  I much prefer it to Wild Honey and especially SS. 
I haven't done it for quite a few years now, but Friends was most always my Sunday "Breakfast with the Beach Boys" album that also included Sunflower and the L.A. (Light Album).

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 11:21:10 AM »

This is easy, actually. Friends
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »

Holland.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »

Right! It's not really a big Rock album, compared to others out at the time. I remember reading an interview with Brian way back when and the interviewer asked him what his favorite Beach Boys album was and he replied, "Friends". I assumed Brian was putting the guy on or being sarcastic. Not quite sure if he was being straight-up or not, because if you asked him today what his favorite is, he might give you a different answer.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »

Right! It's not really a big Rock album, compared to others out at the time. I remember reading an interview with Brian way back when and the interviewer asked him what his favorite Beach Boys album was and he replied, "Friends". I assumed Brian was putting the guy on or being sarcastic. Not quite sure if he was being straight-up or not, because if you asked him today what his favorite is, he might give you a different answer.

This might be the most recent sighting of "Friends is Brian's favorite": https://twitter.com/BrianWilsonLive/status/481417263904718849

Personally I find it entirely believable that he has a soft spot for this album. After all the singing on Friends is impeccable, Brian is all over it, it's a very sweet and peaceful record... and so on. Smiley
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »

Friends exists on its own as an album, kind of like Pet Sounds or the SMiLE era music. I suppose the closest thing to it might be Wild Honey, but Friends is more idiosyncratic, laid back yet complex... Brian seems to be trying for a more orchestrated sound for the first time since his artistic collapse. Sadly, by 20/20 he had been told to pack up his Stephen Foster excursions and go home, and the more democratic group dynamic really takes over. I know it's kind of the secret handshake for a lot of Beach Boys fans to prefer the early 70s albums, but I'll take 1964-1968 over 1969-1973 any day.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 04:49:33 PM »

Sunflower

.....What, no poll?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 07:43:11 PM »

I cheat and select the Sunflower-Surf's Up Stateside release from UK....also get Al's version of "Cottonfields"....  Smokin
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2015, 12:40:27 AM »

Sunflower
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2015, 01:26:16 AM »

That's why nowadays 'Village Green Preservation Society' is more appreciated than the Grateful Dead, for example.

not sure what you mean by this. the Grateful Dead never sold a lot of records (until the late 80s). but there are definitely more fans of the Dead than of the VGPS album

PS - I pick Friends by a wide margin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:27:18 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2015, 07:42:05 AM »

Sunflower

.....What, no poll?

If it were a poll where people just had to come in and click a button, Sunflower would probably still win, but based on the posts, fans of Friends are very passionate about the album.

My favorite post was the guy who voted for Sunflower but felt the need to justify why he didn't pick Friends. I never thought I'd see that! It used to be the other way around.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »

Landlocked.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »

It's very hard for me to choose between Friends and 20/20. They were the two albums that got me into The Beach Boys and are still my two favorite BB albums today.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with Friends.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx