gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:37:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could only keep one album from the 1968-1973 period?  (Read 10493 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »

I would until rfecently have always said Sunflower but of late I've felt that 20/20 is a little grittier and tighter: I absolutely love the Dennis tracks on it, for example, more than I like his Sunflower ones (Forever excepted).

Alternatively I'd be happy to take a compilation just of Dennis tracks that were officially released on Beach Boys albums; or a double album of "Wilson brothers", omitting the Mike-Bruce-Al compositions.
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »

Friends for sure. Besides one of the b-sides (Diamond Head), Friends is an incredibly rewarding album. I always felt that Brian could have been a fantastic jazz composer and Friends is proof of this. Although I'd definitely miss T'ill I Die and ADITLOAT and All I Wanna Do.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »

If I could only keep one?  Who's the ass who will only 'allow' us to keep one?  He [or she] can fire it out his backside.  I'm keeping them all...20/20 to the double live album...'cause it's mostly about '73.

If someone comes and tries to take away ANY of my BBs albums...I'll POUND them.

[if I lose the fight...I'll keep 'Sunflower'...and link up with frends who kept the various other choices and have listening parties...with drinks... ... ...LOTS of drinks...then we'll go find the SOB who took aour albums, cds, files etc...and POUND him.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »

In Concert
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:29:05 AM »

Friends is my favourite, so: Friends

Please delete my account
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »

In Concert
I'm with you, if I could choose only one, then In Concert is it. Gives me a full overview from 1963 to 1973. Plus I get 20 songs instead of the 8-12 that I would get with the studio albums.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »

FRIENDS
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »

If I could only keep one?  Who's the ass who will only 'allow' us to keep one?  He [or she] can fire it out his backside.  I'm keeping them all...20/20 to the double live album...'cause it's mostly about '73.

If someone comes and tries to take away ANY of my BBs albums...I'll POUND them.

[if I lose the fight...I'll keep 'Sunflower'...and link up with frends who kept the various other choices and have listening parties...with drinks... ... ...LOTS of drinks...then we'll go find the SOB who took aour albums, cds, files etc...and POUND him.]

slinking in about 3AM( be sure to be asleep)  Promise to leave pics of everything you used to own....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »

Friends, no doubt about it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »

Friends for me too.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »

If I could only keep one?  Who's the ass who will only 'allow' us to keep one?  He [or she] can fire it out his backside. 

Agreed. He's Jon Harrison from the UK. We go way back. This is one more variance on "Desert Island Disk". On any given day, I'll listen to:

Wild Honey, In Concert '73, Sunflower, or CT&P. Or maybe Holland and skip "Beaks of Eagles". All depends on the mood.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »

Surf's Up. It's my favourite BB album, so how could I not choose it?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »

SUNFLOWER, without question. For me, the greatest of all their "group" efforts.  A perfect album.

I love IN CONCERT, but tracks from Friends, 20/20. Sunflower and Surf's Up are conspicuous by their absence. That album only covers 1963-67 and 1972-73.  That's a big five year hole.

And there are no Dennis songs or even lead vocals on IN CONCERT, another drawback.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »

Sunflower without a doubt for me. Friends has a lovely first side but I find the second a bit more scattershot... Sunflower is wonderful all the way through.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:42:47 PM by Juddge » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »

My dog doesn't really 'dig' slinkers.  Even 3:00 am slinkers bgas.

Meanwhile I still have all my 62 - TWthe man in the skyMTR and LIVE 50th tour cd/dvd stuff.  [let alone 68-73 material and everything subsequently released to augment it.]
No one has come to tell me I can only keep one.
I am prepared to stand and fight.  I also have a number of duplicate copies and most versions on both vinyl and some on cd which are strategically hidden for safe-keeping...just in case.

I've decided to continue enjoying the WHOLE roster of choices...although some perhaps a little less often than others. 

But jon...which Monkees album would you keep?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »

LIVE 50th tour cd

I'm not sure this is worth fighting for LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »

Hear you.  It's just part of the whole 9.  I'd honestly rather have it than not. Cool Guy

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »

Indeed. There are some great tracks on it (especially In My Room, All This Is That). But sadly most of the songs are ruined by poor production.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »

Surf's Up. It's my favourite BB album, so how could I not choose it?

Same here. I'd pick either this, Sunflower or 20/20
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »

Sunflower, without a doubt. That's my all-time favorite album.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »

The one with Transcendental Meditation on it.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »

Surf's Up w/ "WIBNTLA" as the bonus cut. That was easy.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 03:15:55 PM »

I heard that Jesus got bored turning water into wine, so he started turning other albums into Friends.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »

Friends, Friends, Friends
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »

Friends.  Would sure miss Sunflower, "Time to Get Alone," and "Til I Die," though.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx