gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:11:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Stebbins FAQ Book: Rather harsh on Brian's Solo Tours and Handlers?  (Read 42857 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »

There’s a reason some of us have grown tired of everyone out there second-guessing Brian’s management team, and more personally, his wife, family and friends.  I confess to having the very human, crappy tendencies of listening to rumors and expressing my own ill-informed opinions about people’s personal lives far, far too often.  I also realize that this is an open forum where anyone who is accepted can express passionate opinions based on little information, no information or flat out lies they’ve read or heard  – the sad side of gossip, public figures and the internet.

On the other hand, I do have a perspective here that I doubt most of you reading this have.  The thing is - I’m well aware that when I was there with Brian, however well-intentioned I was, I didn’t have a clue how to deal with the overwhelming world that surrounds him.  I had no power, no serious money and I was ridiculously naïve.  But I was there and I did try.  Since then I have been in positions of authority for a few decades and learned how easy it is for some to sit on the sidelines and be critical while never personally being put to the test.  None of us have Brian’s world fired at us point blank like Brian, Melinda and Brian’s management team.

How many of the people making insidious little comments clearly attacking Melinda Wilson have been anywhere near her shoes, much less walked in them?  When I was there up front, and other times on the sidelines, I saw people treating Brian like a commodity, like someone who needed to be manipulated and intimidated “for his own good,” and I saw a lot of people – some in real authority - who didn’t have a clue who he was trying to run his life from various directions. 

I saw other people who I knew loved Brian very much who had no idea how to deal with the situation either.  And I certainly saw a lot of people with their own selfish agendas acting like the “good guy.”  Eugene Landy was hired for a second time, for whatever reason.  Do you need any more evidence that the people involved had no idea how to give Brian a workable support system at that time?

That was Brian’s world since he became a “hit-making machine” as a teen and the genius icon shortly thereafter.  At the same time he was - and is - all that, he also has to maintain the sensitivity level it takes to create that beautiful music - meaning he needs a safe environment where he can work, free of distractions and the crap that makes up a lot of life, and Melinda has to spend each day maintaining that space while protecting both his business and personal interests.

I met Melinda back when Landy was still around and liked her very much.  Well, it’s now been – what? – 20-25 years or so?  I remember hoping she was up to the job of being Brian’s wife and support system – something I didn’t take lightly and had no idea how anyone would manage.  So, taking a look back now, how have things gone?

Having seen Ray Lawlor’s post thoroughly describing Brian’s personal and professional accomplishments with Melinda “having his back,” I don’t feel the need to go there.  Equally important to all that is the fact that Brian is in an environment where he feels safe enough that he can smile and relax, and we can all see that.

If that didn’t reassure me enough about Brian’s situation, all of my conversations with Melinda over the years have been deeply reassuring.  She’s a funny, bright, straight-shooting woman who genuinely loves Brian, who actually gets who he is (a rarity, believe me) and she’s willing to fight for him and his well-being everyday. 

Melinda has proven to be up to the job I worried about so many years ago, so it surely would be nice to see her appreciated a bit more here, second-guessed a whole lot less, and to have those nasty little insinuations stop.  The removal of one mysteriously motivated, hostile poster to many of us, including Melinda will help. 

And, you are certainly free to post under the SS guidelines as you will.  I’d just like to ask you one thing as you express yourself here:  Are you better qualified to handle Brian’s situation than the people you’re criticizing?  If not, exactly what’s your point?

Well said, Deb. I was fortunate enough to meet her at a sound check. She was talking with Jeff and turned around to me and said hi, how are you? We talked for a moment about how BW was-extremely pleasant and seemed very kind indeed.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »

There’s a reason some of us have grown tired of everyone out there second-guessing Brian’s management team, and more personally, his wife, family and friends.  I confess to having the very human, crappy tendencies of listening to rumors and expressing my own ill-informed opinions about people’s personal lives far, far too often.  I also realize that this is an open forum where anyone who is accepted can express passionate opinions based on little information, no information or flat out lies they’ve read or heard  – the sad side of gossip, public figures and the internet.

On the other hand, I do have a perspective here that I doubt most of you reading this have.  The thing is - I’m well aware that when I was there with Brian, however well-intentioned I was, I didn’t have a clue how to deal with the overwhelming world that surrounds him.  I had no power, no serious money and I was ridiculously naïve.  But I was there and I did try.  Since then I have been in positions of authority for a few decades and learned how easy it is for some to sit on the sidelines and be critical while never personally being put to the test.  None of us have Brian’s world fired at us point blank like Brian, Melinda and Brian’s management team.

How many of the people making insidious little comments clearly attacking Melinda Wilson have been anywhere near her shoes, much less walked in them?  When I was there up front, and other times on the sidelines, I saw people treating Brian like a commodity, like someone who needed to be manipulated and intimidated “for his own good,” and I saw a lot of people – some in real authority - who didn’t have a clue who he was trying to run his life from various directions. 

I saw other people who I knew loved Brian very much who had no idea how to deal with the situation either.  And I certainly saw a lot of people with their own selfish agendas acting like the “good guy.”  Eugene Landy was hired for a second time, for whatever reason.  Do you need any more evidence that the people involved had no idea how to give Brian a workable support system at that time?

That was Brian’s world since he became a “hit-making machine” as a teen and the genius icon shortly thereafter.  At the same time he was - and is - all that, he also has to maintain the sensitivity level it takes to create that beautiful music - meaning he needs a safe environment where he can work, free of distractions and the crap that makes up a lot of life, and Melinda has to spend each day maintaining that space while protecting both his business and personal interests.

I met Melinda back when Landy was still around and liked her very much.  Well, it’s now been – what? – 20-25 years or so?  I remember hoping she was up to the job of being Brian’s wife and support system – something I didn’t take lightly and had no idea how anyone would manage.  So, taking a look back now, how have things gone?

Having seen Ray Lawlor’s post thoroughly describing Brian’s personal and professional accomplishments with Melinda “having his back,” I don’t feel the need to go there.  Equally important to all that is the fact that Brian is in an environment where he feels safe enough that he can smile and relax, and we can all see that.

If that didn’t reassure me enough about Brian’s situation, all of my conversations with Melinda over the years have been deeply reassuring.  She’s a funny, bright, straight-shooting woman who genuinely loves Brian, who actually gets who he is (a rarity, believe me) and she’s willing to fight for him and his well-being everyday. 

Melinda has proven to be up to the job I worried about so many years ago, so it surely would be nice to see her appreciated a bit more here, second-guessed a whole lot less, and to have those nasty little insinuations stop.  The removal of one mysteriously motivated, hostile poster to many of us, including Melinda will help. 

And, you are certainly free to post under the SS guidelines as you will.  I’d just like to ask you one thing as you express yourself here:  Are you better qualified to handle Brian’s situation than the people you’re criticizing?  If not, exactly what’s your point?

Well said, Deb. I was fortunate enough to meet her at a sound check. She was talking with Jeff and turned around to me and said hi, how are you? We talked for a moment about how BW was-extremely pleasant and seemed very kind indeed.

OSD - BW is very kind indeed...and a lovable devil when required too!  There's nothing boring about him, or Melinda!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2015, 11:50:13 AM »

Looks like BW's at the Smiley Bar (this posted yesterday on his FB page).  Hope he's buying…

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »

John, can we have the beer convention at that county hall you always talk about?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »

Looks like BW's at the Smiley Bar (this posted yesterday on his FB page).  Hope he's buying…

I'm getting sick of these umbrella drinks...Do you think he'd go for the fine German and Belgian beers and a nice bottle of champagne for the ladies?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »

I'm getting sick of these umbrella drinks...Do you think he'd go for the fine German and Belgian beers and a nice bottle of champagne for the ladies?

Who knows... but I just got my hands on the C50 article from Rolling Stone, and it said Brian's drink of choice was apparently Miller Lite!  LOL

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »

Nice pic of Brian but I'm disappointed.

Where are the electrically charged thunderbolts of lightning? Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2015, 01:26:23 PM »

Or the convention at smile holland's house? Grin

The door's always open for a BB-fan.  Smiley

But a convention means we need some special guests, right?
Or is beer and good music sufficient enough ?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »

Who knows... but I just got my hands on the C50 article from Rolling Stone, and it said Brian's drink of choice was apparently Miller Lite!  LOL

That was my ex's beer of choice.  Then he'd insist on only the finest Scotch.  Maybe it's an acquired taste?!
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »

I am going to jump in on this thread , but will preface it with the following: first; I have not read Jon Stebbins' FAQ book so I cannot comment on anything written there; second ; I have been an aviation industry executive for almost thirty years ; which has given me significant personal and professional travel perks, which I have utilized to meet up with Brian in Australia four times , Japan three times, the U.K. every time , most of the EU tours,  most of the U.S. touring and all of the New York dates. During these times ,I have eaten several meals a day with Brian ; in restaurants, hotels and a few bars along the way; and to this date , in all of these places, I have yet to see or meet one of these handlers that are so often discussed on this board.  So I ask again as I have asked before on this board: who are they ?  What are their names ? Who are these shadow enforcers ? I will make it easy. Jean Sievers and Melinda Wilson are the BriMel management team;nobody else. On the road, Jerry Weiss, a damn good guy, was Brian's PA for several years , followed by Sharkey , and then Jeff Foskett became Brian's "right hand man". None of them were/are the handlers , so someone please forward me their names as I would like to meet them.

This whole "Brian is controlled" thing has gotten archaic to say the least ; let's dispense with the bull-sh*t ; some of the people pushing this agenda have a target , and that target is Melinda Wilson; that she is ultimately the one who is "controlling" Brian. If that is the case that some of you want to make,  then have the balls to come out and say it publicly , not hide behind this nebulous "handler " nonsense or winks and nods. Let's have that debate. But come prepared with first hand facts and knowledge, not innuendo; not something you read , or a friend of someone in the band told you, or its something you heard on Bill O'Reilly .  I am prepared to have that debate; be prepared to not like my answers.

Finally; I am mentioned in liner notes, I do get Christmas cards, and I do get backstage access at concerts ; both BW and C50.  But I get these things because of friendship , not flackery.

G'Day

Ray...I have always enjoyed your perspective on these topics. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I've been curious about how you and Brian ended up becoming such close friends.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2015, 12:35:23 AM »

There is a new place that recently opened up by me called Das Biergarten.  Bavarian joint.  I am going there in an hour to have a few well required Haaker Pshoor's , a very nice Bavarian Weissbier.  Cheers KK

I recommend Löwenbräu dunkel of Bavarian beers (which was unfortunately out when I was at the Löwenbräu Keller in Sydney). Do you have that at the Biergarten? How sympathetic to open a joint called "Biergarten" (even with the grammatical flub lowbacca pointed out)! Smiley That's Germany for you, kindergarten and biergarten. Cheesy

I absolutely love Belgian Weissbier (no offense to my German friends!).

No problem! My favorite non-German beer is a Czech one though called Staropramen dark. Of the Belgian beers I like Leffe brune.

For those who don't drink alcohol I recommend Malzbier. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malzbier

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »

John, can we have the beer convention at that county hall you always talk about?

Ah, Stainforth Village Hall… yes indeed. Just around the corner from the Craven Heifer, in case anyone wants to escape the beer convention for a while and go for a pint…
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:41:27 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2015, 06:19:19 PM »

Hell yes, that's where the convention will be! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx