-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Championship Game: Ohio State versus Oregon
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Championship Game: Ohio State versus Oregon  (Read 7871 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »

Monday Jan 12  The Bucks and the Ducks
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:25:58 AM »

I'll have to be cheering Ohio St. on, being a Big Ten guy (MN). But not being specifically loyal to either team, I'm mostly just hoping for a great game.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

As a Michigan State guy, I should root for Ohio St. as they're Big Ten, like The Captain said. However, I despise Urban Meyer. And I enjoy Oregon's extensive wardrobe. Oddly enough, MSU lost 2 games this year-to Oregon and Ohio State.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »

I despise Urban Meyer.

I used to be right there with you, as an Ohio State alum, I hated the hire at first. I've really come around on him for a few reasons. The biggest one for me is he's made a real effort to integrate the football program back into the rest of the athletic department. Now, the football players get the same nutritional programming, physiological testing and mixed study tables and tutoring as all the other athletes. The separations were really former AD Andy Geiger's doing, not Jim Tressel's, but little things like that were what allowed Tressel and his players to skate by on so many NCAA violations. The other reason I've really turned the corner on Urban is how much the players really seem to respect him and work as a team. He seems to have really created a team environment that can be so lacking in big time college sports.

I have no idea what's going to happen Monday night. We might get blown out, we might score 55 points, who knows? But, I am sure excited to watch it!

Now, if only the Buckeye basketball team could act like they want to be playing, at all.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 03:54:50 PM »

Now, if only the Buckeye basketball team could act like they want to be playing, at all.

Grrrrr. Sore spot, considering their win over the Gophers at Williams Arena this week. D'Angelo Russell, wow.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. French
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 07:30:38 AM »

I'm picking Ohio State for four reasons:  1) The Duck run D is not the best and OSU has been running the heck out of the football with Elliott.  2) The OSU D as a whole might be a bit better.No doubt both teams should score but the guess here is that the OSU D will come up with a play or two to make the diffference   3) Oregon just suspended one of their key WRs for failing a drug test 4) Coaching edge - Urban Meyer

Ohio State 45  Oregon 35

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »

Grrrrr. Sore spot, considering their win over the Gophers at Williams Arena this week. D'Angelo Russell, wow.

Russell is a great talent, for sure. I didn't get to see the games this week, so I missed Minnesota and Indiana. The team is just really lacking in leadership. There have been multiple games this season where Sam Thompson looks like the only guy who wants to be there. I can't believe Matta keeps putting up with Amir Williams, he is the laziest big man I think I have ever seen.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »

Russell is a great talent, for sure. I didn't get to see the games this week, so I missed Minnesota and Indiana. The team is just really lacking in leadership. There have been multiple games this season where Sam Thompson looks like the only guy who wants to be there. I can't believe Matta keeps putting up with Amir Williams, he is the laziest big man I think I have ever seen.

Amir Williams reminds me of several of the bigs Minnesota has had in the past several years in terms of his improvement ... or lack of same. Unless I'm mistaken, Williams was a McDonald's All American. You wouldn't even necessarily expect him to be there anymore as a senior, much less to be more or less the same guy he was as a freshman. The Gophers had similar lack of progress from Ralph Sampson III, as well as our current Elliott Eliason (who had made some huge strides early, but seemed to plateau last year and regress this, his 5th-year-senior season).

Shannon Scott seems to be playing pretty well from what I've seen. But admittedly that's only a few games overall.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »

I'll be pulling for the Ducks.  2 reasons.  1.  I see them as the underdogs and I love how they rose above all that in their last outing inso that they could be here for tomorrow's game.  2.  Ducks make for better eating.  I have absolutely no dog in the fight.  I just think it'll be a GREAT game.  If it wasn't for the Ducks I probably wouldn't watch it.

Always liked Daffy...and the Aflac Duck is 'great' at golf...even Donald is 'OK' in a Disney Girls 1957 kind of way.  And Yakky Doodle is priceless.  Ask Chopper. [maybe I DO have a dog in the fight. Wink]

Off the top of my head I can only think of ONE thing that rhymes with Buckeyes. LOL  So...you can have 'em.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »

Amir Williams reminds me of several of the bigs Minnesota has had in the past several years in terms of his improvement ... or lack of same. Unless I'm mistaken, Williams was a McDonald's All American. You wouldn't even necessarily expect him to be there anymore as a senior, much less to be more or less the same guy he was as a freshman. The Gophers had similar lack of progress from Ralph Sampson III, as well as our current Elliott Eliason (who had made some huge strides early, but seemed to plateau last year and regress this, his 5th-year-senior season).

Shannon Scott seems to be playing pretty well from what I've seen. But admittedly that's only a few games overall.

You nailed it about Williams, huge disappointment that he hasn't grown at all after being a McDonald's All-American and so highly recruited. Shannon Scott is capable of playing very well, but he's also capable of completely blending in to the woodwork.

I really hope your Gophers can keep building their program. I know they've been making improvements in their facilities which should help recruiting, and I think Petino is going to be a good coach.

2.  Ducks make for better eating. 

I'll make you some buckeyes that will change your mind
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »

I'm a SEC watcher, but after what the Buckeyes did to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, going to root for Ohio State.  I like Urban Meyer.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »

We'll find out soon enough...Just about and hour and a quarter to game time.  GO DAFFY!!!! Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »

Shouldn't you be watching hockey? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 04:01:52 PM »

Is there an NHL game tonight worth watching?  Playoff/championship games are way more important than regular season anything.  Besides...my hockey team sucks...LARGE...so why bother?  They haven't won shyte since I was 15 years old.  I'll be dead before they win it all again.

Go Ducks...football and hockey for all I care. LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »

Ah, leafs fan... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »

Ah, leafs fan... Wink

And OH what a PISSER that THAT is true.  You see I lasted through the Ballard years somehow.  I figured sooner or later.  And then there's now.  2 more years and it'll be 50.  Poor Ducks.  I'm cheering for them.  They're doomed.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 04:22:11 AM »

Bucks roast Ducks! National Champions 2014!!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »

And 2015 too. Wink

Looked promising after the first drive...and then reality pulled up for a look-see.

Congrats to the fans of the Buckeyes...and to the team itself.  Well done.  Gotta do something about the team colours though.

When *I* played football...*WE* wore Scarlet...and...GOLD.  Now THAT works. Cool Guy

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »

Being from the South all my favorite teams are SEC.  Lifelong fan of L.S.U. Tigers and Arkansas Razorbacks.  In the 90's I started getting into the Florida Gators, like anybody who wanted to see top-notch games.  I developed a great respect for Steve Spurrier (eleven years with the Gators) and Urban Meyer (five, wasn't it?).  It's all about respect.  Coaches matter.

When Spurrier came back to college with the South Carolina Gamecocks, they slowly became my favorite team, and him my favorite college coach.  Yeah, they had an off year - doesn't change my feelings.  And don't remind me of his misstep into the NFL coaching ranks, though he did have an okay NFL career, and won one of those Heisman deals himself.

I can't really call myself a big fan of Ohio State, but next year (this year) I'll be paying much more attention to that program.  I only saw a few of their games in 2014, and sure wasn't ready for what I saw in the play-offs.  I sat in disbelief as Ohio State dismantled Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.  Now this.  With a third-string quarterback I'd never heard of until a few weeks ago.  Amazing.  Not to say the rest of the team didn't look amazing too, especially offense.  The defense wasn't ready to come back on the field after some of the turn-overs (you see this in the NFL too), but looked good overall.  Very impressed with the goal line stand-off.  It's only a matter of time until we see Elliot in a NFL uniform.  The only thing Oregon managed to do that looked like their old self was the turn-overs.  Didn't help them.  By the 4th quarter they looked hopeless.  Heisman boy showed me nothing last night.  If he does come into the draft he could go down like Tim and Danny:  Not ready for the NFL.  Cardale Jones is a third-year Sophomore, so could declare - but he should stay with Urban for another year.  He's got til Thursday to decide.  One thing I do know.  Ohio State has three top quarterbacks going into the next season, and a big decision as to who will be their #1 starter.

Great game, and great we finally have a real collage championship play-off series.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:25:13 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »

Great game, and great we finally have a real collage championship play-off series.  

The championship game was decades upon decades over-due.  I'm with you there.  I don't know that OS had to pop in that LAST TD.  A little over-the-top.  Detracted from the game I thought but HEH!!!  At least they [they being US College Football] finally had one. Cool Guy

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »

It's nice to see the Big Ten get some credit finally, after hearing about how dominant the SEC supposedly was over every other conference in the Country.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »

I don't know that OS had to pop in that LAST TD.  A little over-the-top.  Detracted from the game I thought but HEH!!!  

What did you expect them to do? Take knees? It's not their fault Oregon went into the neutral zone and penalty yardage put them right on the goal line. Plus, it was a run right up the middle, not some show boating flea flicker or something. To reverse paraphrase Vince Lombardi, if you can't stop an offense from getting one yard, you don't deserve to be champions.

I'm just glad to see Cardale Jones has finally lived this down:

It's going to be really interesting to see what he decides to do today or tomorrow. Everything I'm hearing is that they are planning on having Barrett #1 on the depth chart going in to Spring practice, but he and Miller are probably not going to be able to play Spring ball, so Cardale is going to be getting the first team reps if he stays.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: