gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:44:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mini Mansions song "Any Emotions" ft. Brian Wilson  (Read 12287 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:52:30 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaA_-53H1LI

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 12:54:53 AM »

I dig it.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 01:04:20 AM »

Tres cool - both the song and Brian's contribution.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 01:13:52 AM »

How did this collaboration come to be? Didn't hear about it prior to now (or the band, for that matter), it's totally different than the type of stuff Brian usually shows up on nowadays. Purty cool.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:15:17 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 01:20:57 AM »

Here's a hint - they're currently both on Capitol...  Old Man

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 01:23:38 AM »

Here's a hint - they're currently both on Capitol...  Old Man

Haha, makes sense.  Drum

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 01:24:57 AM »

Mmm. It's okay. I'm not really sure what Brian brings to it that any one else couldn't have, though. But that's just my opinion.

I agree that Brian is turning up on a lot of stuff that the average Beach Boys' fan wouldn't immediately imagine he would be interested in collaborating on. I like that, as a principle. It's good to shake things up a little, and not just be involved in productions covered in Leslied guitar, bass harmonica and vibes for the rest of time.

Having said that, though, I'm not sure any of the collaborations I've heard so far massively float my boat. They're all OK, quite interesting, but just kind of... there. For me the acid test is: having heard the tracks with Brian on, am I moved to investigate any of his collaborators' other stuff? Or am I only listening initially because Brian's on it, and then failing to want to find out more after that? Because nothing we've heard so far has really grabbed me by the throat and made me rush out to buy everything else by that artist. Which is what I tend to do when I hear something I massively like.

Like I say though... I like the idea that he's putting himself with all these different kinds of artists (even if the motivation is, at least in part, that they're all other Capitol-connected artists in some way). It could lead to something really cool, even if I don't feel it quite has yet, from the collabs we've heard so far...

You can look at it a bit like a revival of the kind of collaborations he did with other artists in the early 60s. He hasn't done that kind of thing for decades. I like that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:31:59 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:40:47 AM »

I sense a gameplan unfolding. Time will tell if it's a good one, but that there actually is one is comforting.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:43:42 AM »

From the band's website:

“Any Emotions” came to feature Brian Wilson after [Zach] Dawes played bass on a session for the Beach Boys guru’s new album; the final result finds Wilson magically imbuing the track with his trademark voice and haunting melodicism. “Brian and I had a good rapport after the first session I did for him,” Dawes says. “When I asked him to work with us, he gave more than any of us had anticipated, I guess that’s why he’s Brian Wilson – it still feels a little surreal.”

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:53:17 AM »

I just had another thought: what if these collaborations that are gradually coming out are the out-takes from the No Pier Pressure collaboration process? I don't mean necessarily that these are tracks that might have made the album at one time, and were cut. Maybe they never got that far. I'll try to explain...

I was wondering after the post above why none of the collaborator tracks we've heard so far have (to me) been that stunningly amazing. They all strike me as competent and quite interesting, but lacking a spark that makes them truly great. (Maybe that's just me, though). Then the thought occurred to me: if you'd decided that for your next album, you were going to try to collaborate with as many artists as possible (I don't know if that WAS Brian's thinking for this project, but bear with me)... then you'd want to keep the best results for your eventual album, wouldn't you? The collaborations that worked out the best would be the ones to go on No Pier Pressure.

So maybe BW put himself out there over the course of the last two years, and worked with all sorts of artists. If he did that, the odds are that the results were going to be better with some musical collaborators than others. Some collaborations would maybe lead to nothing of consequence at all. Others would just be OK, and yet others might capture some 'lightning in a bottle'. If so, then it stands to reason that the 'lightning' would be held back for Brian's eventual album — but there would still be all these other tracks around.

A bit like how there are always loads of tracks in play when most bands put together an album, but gradually, as work progresses, they decide what's going on the album and what isn't. Some of the stuff that isn't is never released (or only makes it out on a career retrospective boxed set decades later), some of it is hived off for use in film soundtracks or other works, some of it is used for B-sides (or, these days, iTunes bonus tracks and the like). Some of it, which is actually really good but it turns out doesn't fit the overall tone of the album as it grows into being, is held back for future albums (like Good Vibrations, I guess...!).

So back to the original point: perhaps the collaborations that are slowly emerging of late are some of the tracks resulting from a great flurry of artist collaborations over the past couple of years, and these are the ones that Brian felt shouldn't go on NPP for whatever reason. That makes sense to me. Although it might not be the reason at all, as I'm only speculating...

Whatever actually IS going on, clearly there has been some kind of massive collaborative musical and songwriting process going on between BW and lots of other musicians over the past couple of years. As Andrew says, whatever the results turn out to be, it's great that the big man is still doing this kind of thing after all these decades. I am hungry to know more, even if the collaborations I've heard so far have merely washed over me somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:54:45 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 04:03:34 AM »

Great sounding group, and a good track. Yes, Brian's contribution is small and probably mostly for name value, but it definitely says something that hip young indie bands would care to have that name on their record. By all means Brian and the BBs should cash-in on this hipster renaissance - their music just screams to it. I'm almost surprised it's taken this long.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 06:11:20 AM »

That is a very good song and Brian's contribution really adds to the song.

Pretty surreal to hear Brian on a track like this. He's finally getting to do the rock songs he's always wanted.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 06:46:06 AM »

Diggin this! Brian sounds great!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 07:06:54 AM »

Many thanks Woodstock. Fascinating track with Brian's great vocal being a perfect fit. The man is guesting more and more these days. Could he be making up for lost time? Listening

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »

Tres cool - both the song and Brian's contribution.
Agree, and finally something brand new that I like. My only complaint is it could have used a better ending. It was too abrupt and could have used a Wall of Brian's as a fadeout.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »

It's neat that these things keep popping out of nowhere. As far as the song structure and vocals go, it's my favorite of the collabs I've heard. Not a fan of the production/synthy drum beat, though. I'd love to hear it stripped down - the melody kind of reminds me of John Lennon's "Woman".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »

I gotta give it up. Great feature by Brian here, even if it's relatively minor. I was critical of his vocals on "Our Special Love" (holy autotune!), but he fits like a glove on this track. The "so happy" bit reminds me of Animal Collective.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »

Really impressed. Very original tune and Brian's vocals work really well on it. Thanks for posting!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »

Wow. I love this. I wish BW would do more guest appearances w/ indie bands instead of collab'ing with Elton John and other "legends."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »

It's neat that these things keep popping out of nowhere. As far as the song structure and vocals go, it's my favorite of the collabs I've heard. Not a fan of the production/synthy drum beat, though. I'd love to hear it stripped down - the melody kind of reminds me of John Lennon's "Woman".
I knew I heard a Beatles/Lennon melody in there, but couldn't put my finger on it. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »

I loved it.  Period.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 09:07:35 AM »

Thanks for sharing, Woodstock. Smiley

I quite enjoyed the number.  Brian sounded great; his voice fit the piece rather well, I thought.

A bit more of an acoustic drumkit sound would have pleased me (still waiting for that BB85 "Stripped Down" remix with real drums, too), but otherwise?

Yeah, count me a fan of the collaboration.   Cool Guy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:08:57 AM by R. Smith » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »

In his solo career, there have been a few moments where I've felt genuinly sad for the way Brian's voice has changed since he was young...but I think from BWPS onwards, he's progressively gotten better at using his 'matured' voice. All his vocals on TLOS and TWGMTR were very strong - but on these last 3 singles (Falling Apart, Our Special Love and Any Emotion), his voice sounds just as good as it ever did, though in an entirely different way. It's like he's not only strengthened it, but found out what to sing to really bring out the same magic you'll hear in Don't Worry Baby or more recently Pacific Coast Highway. All he's doing in Falling Apart and Any Emotion is lending some vocals, but no one else could sound like he does on these tracks...because he's Brian Wilson. Seriously, how much better are the tracks just because of the addition of his voice?

I have the highest hopes for No Pier Pressure - it just seems like everything is lining up for the best case scenario to become reality.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »

Love it. One of his bvs - along with Adios, MacArthur Park and Delirious Love
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »

I knew I heard a Beatles/Lennon melody in there, but couldn't put my finger on it. Smiley

I was thinking "Beautiful Boy".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx