gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:54:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Dennis in the Wrong Group?  (Read 26708 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2015, 05:39:21 PM »

Ooh, burn

I'm surprised this is the first response you made here

It's all just very silly.
Glad to know you still care about me, though.

I care about everyone  Grin
Even me?? Cry Cry Cry

Even though you annoy the heck out of me, halblaineisgood, you can't be too bad.  After all, we both can say that the BB are the main reason we're here right  Wink?

Perhaps this purrito will change your mind!

Must you go offtopic and derail this thread?

Anyway, it would have been great if a few Dennis songs were added onto In Concert. As much as I like the album, aside from the newer Holland-era material, the majority of the album consists of earlier pre-SMiLE songs. I wouldn't say drop tem entirely, but at the same time focus more on their then-contemporary material, or even more stuff from 20/20-Surf's Up. At least it wasn't exactly old yet in 1973.

Thank you.  It sucks this happens so often.

And yea you would think that they would've at least included "Forever" on there.

I don't think it's that surprising of a setlist: it focuses on the songs everyone knows them for and songs from their latest album.  Much as we all like Friends and Sunflower here, I don't think it's too surprising that they didn't include anything from albums that were a few years old and didn't sell very well at their release.  I do agree, though, that which Holland tracks they decided to include on In Concert seems a little odd, and I, for one, prefer "Only With You" to all the songs that they did include except maybe "Sail, On Sailor."

On the other hand, we did get a nice recording of "Only With You" on Made in California last year.  In fact, even if it doesn't speak well to Dennis' recognition in his own time, the fact that four of the fifteen live tracks on the box set were Dennis songs is a pretty good indication of the fact that his music is getting the recognition it deserves from fans (and box set compilers) now.

Yeah, it's a big sign of his vindicated status of the last few years, along with the POB/Bambu reissue from a few years back. Been a long time since Carl had to persuade everyone to include Dennis songs for the Good Vibrations box set...

The fact that there was even an issue about this angers me  Angry.  Why wouldn't you want to  include your deceased brother/cousin/bandmate's work on a box set like that?  But also WIBNTLA was supposed to be in a later compilation album and got outvoted until finally the fans started petitioning to get the song on MIC.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »

The version of "Help Me Rhonda" on In Concert is one of the worst things I've ever heard on a Beach Boys record. That stupid "boogie" riff that plays for like five minutes before Al comes in, none of the leads from the original, that stupid "boogie" riff, no harmonies, that stupid "boogie" riff, etc. I know he was probably playing guitar, but I can't help but picture Al dancing around on one foot, wiggling his hands around with a huge smile on his face, while wearing one of many bad hats he wore in the 70s during said boogie section and throughout the song. Good GOD.

P.S. I love you, Al, I just don't like this rendition of "Rhonda" and frankly, I don't like the name "Rhonda", either.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »

The version of "Help Me Rhonda" on In Concert is one of the worst things I've ever heard on a Beach Boys record. That stupid "boogie" riff that plays for like five minutes before Al comes in, none of the leads from the original, that stupid "boogie" riff, no harmonies, that stupid "boogie" riff, etc. I know he was probably playing guitar, but I can't help but picture Al dancing around on one foot, wiggling his hands around with a huge smile on his face, while wearing one of many bad hats he wore in the 70s during said boogie section and throughout the song. Good GOD.

P.S. I love you, Al, I just don't like this rendition of "Rhonda" and frankly, I don't like the name "Rhonda", either.

My favorite feminine name has always been "Diana" personally.  Brian's Trip

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2015, 04:54:30 AM »

Your last five posts have consisted solely of this. Do you realise how annoying, and infantile, it is ?

I don't think it's infantile, it points (haha! Cheesy) to a computer problem which prevents him from doing real posts. I could be wrong, but let's wait and see.

Doubtful, considering that he's been editing the vast majority of his older posts as well. Knowing him, It wouldn't be a stretch to say it's intentional. There's even a thread dedicated to that:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19469.0.html

As I said, I could be wrong. I hadn't noticed he had changed his name temporarily to "Effervescent Tides", so I thought it was someone else when AGD called him out.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2015, 05:00:13 AM »

Micha:  GO SUCK AN EGG!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2015, 06:34:38 AM »

Your last five posts have consisted solely of this. Do you realise how annoying, and infantile, it is ?

I don't think it's infantile, it points (haha! Cheesy) to a computer problem which prevents him from doing real posts. I could be wrong, but let's wait and see.

Doubtful, considering that he's been editing the vast majority of his older posts as well. Knowing him, It wouldn't be a stretch to say it's intentional. There's even a thread dedicated to that:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19469.0.html

As I said, I could be wrong. I hadn't noticed he had changed his name temporarily to "Effervescent Tides", so I thought it was someone else when AGD called him out.

Fair enough. Didn't even notice it was actually Hal until Retrokid mentioned it.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »

My favorite feminine name has always been "Diana" personally.  Brian's Trip

Speaking of "Diana", even though Dennis wanted the MIU album to self-destruct, he still delivered a great performance on "My Diane".  there's a cool clip of him on youtube singing that in the recording studio  Smiley

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »

I don't like eggs and I'm not good enough in English to even tell whether that is an insult or not.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2015, 11:19:59 PM »

I don't like eggs and I'm not good enough in English to even tell whether that is an insult or not.

Ignore him, Micha.  He has nothing better to do with his time.  Roll Eyes

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:10 PM »

Must you derail the thread??? MUst you??

Back on topic....

bluesno1fann
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »

Pretty much. And to Micha: it is what you think it is. Relax, Hal's said worse.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »

Pretty much. And to Micha: it is what you think it is. Relax, Hal's said worse.

Not uptight at all. Smiley

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »

I know that the original 5 were perfect and everything.  Brian didn't really need a group to make his music; and I'm sure most of you would say that the group needed him more than he needed them.  But couldn't the same be said about Dennis?  I mean he certainly stood out from the rest of them and his presence made them all look "cool".  If he wasn't there, would they have gotten as far as they did in the early days? Probably not.  I think he could've been in any other rock group and he probably would've gotten more recognition as an artist instead of just being labeled as "the dumb blonde surfer boy"...any thoughts?

My opinion on it is that Brian wouldn't have been commercial enough to make it on his own.  It's possible he was so talented that it would have happened regardless, but I think the other guys (all of them) created a cool concept that helped drive the music, and then Brian's genius behind it kept it all credible and kept them away from being a 1 hit wonder like Ronnie and the Daytonas, or whatever. 

As for Dennis in particular, I've always seen him the following way.  When the group first started, I think he was excited to be getting famous, he may have not been a perfect fit for the music but he liked the idea of the fame, the girls, the money, the travelling, the performing in front of live crowds, etc.  Later on, I think he was bigger than the group, and did it solely out of love for the band and his brothers.   He could have left and made his own music, and it may have not sold or been as big as the Beach Boys, but I don't think he was touring with them because he was really into the music, I think he felt like he was helping Brian and Carl out by being there and wouldn't have dreamed of leaving the band.  I think he felt like it was how he could contribute to his brothers, touring in the band they all created and being a part of that.  He probably, probably, PROBABLY felt like he was slumming a bit, though, if you can understand what I mean by that.  Almost like he was doing charity work. 
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2015, 08:58:58 PM »

I know that the original 5 were perfect and everything.  Brian didn't really need a group to make his music; and I'm sure most of you would say that the group needed him more than he needed them.  But couldn't the same be said about Dennis?  I mean he certainly stood out from the rest of them and his presence made them all look "cool".  If he wasn't there, would they have gotten as far as they did in the early days? Probably not.  I think he could've been in any other rock group and he probably would've gotten more recognition as an artist instead of just being labeled as "the dumb blonde surfer boy"...any thoughts?

My opinion on it is that Brian wouldn't have been commercial enough to make it on his own.  It's possible he was so talented that it would have happened regardless, but I think the other guys (all of them) created a cool concept that helped drive the music, and then Brian's genius behind it kept it all credible and kept them away from being a 1 hit wonder like Ronnie and the Daytonas, or whatever. 

As for Dennis in particular, I've always seen him the following way.  When the group first started, I think he was excited to be getting famous, he may have not been a perfect fit for the music but he liked the idea of the fame, the girls, the money, the travelling, the performing in front of live crowds, etc.  Later on, I think he was bigger than the group, and did it solely out of love for the band and his brothers.   He could have left and made his own music, and it may have not sold or been as big as the Beach Boys, but I don't think he was touring with them because he was really into the music, I think he felt like he was helping Brian and Carl out by being there and wouldn't have dreamed of leaving the band.  I think he felt like it was how he could contribute to his brothers, touring in the band they all created and being a part of that.  He probably, probably, PROBABLY felt like he was slumming a bit, though, if you can understand what I mean by that.  Almost like he was doing charity work. 

With you up until the last point. I think he was clearly disenchanted with the direction in which the band went, but slumming it? I don't think those speeches he gave after You Are So Beautiful or whatever were insincere. He'd be a fool to not be proud of the legacy he, his brothers and bandmates had created.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »

Why don't we let Dennis speak for himself.

"There will always be a Beach Boys. Being a Beach Boy is like being in love" Dennis Wilson

"If there wasn't The Beach Boys and there wasn't music, I wouldn't even talk to them. But through the music I fell in love with my brothers." Dennis Wilson

"We went suddenly from being a very large group into being a very small group again. It broke my heart. It hurt. "- 1977 Dennis Wilson

"I can tell you the day The Beach Boys will no longer exist - never. We'll be on stage in wheelchairs." Dennis Wilson

"The thing I wonder about is where does Brian's creative spark come from? Not his subjects or anything, but his spark. What makes it so great for me is that I really don't know.  There's a mystery behind Brian, even to me. Creatively, where in the f*** does the guy go? Where is he coming from?" - 1976 Dennis Wilson

"The Beach Boys are not a superstar group. The music is the superstar of the group.

Not in the wrong group. Just growing up.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »

^ Beautiful.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2015, 11:15:44 PM »

"There will always be a Beach Boys. Being a Beach Boy is like being in love" Dennis Wilson

"If there wasn't The Beach Boys and there wasn't music, I wouldn't even talk to them. But through the music I fell in love with my brothers." Dennis Wilson

"We went suddenly from being a very large group into being a very small group again. It broke my heart. It hurt. "- 1977 Dennis Wilson

"I can tell you the day The Beach Boys will no longer exist - never. We'll be on stage in wheelchairs." Dennis Wilson

"The thing I wonder about is where does Brian's creative spark come from? Not his subjects or anything, but his spark. What makes it so great for me is that I really don't know.  There's a mystery behind Brian, even to me. Creatively, where in the f*** does the guy go? Where is he coming from?" - 1976 Dennis Wilson

"The Beach Boys are not a superstar group. The music is the superstar of the group.

What interview did this quote come from?

-Dennis Wilson
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2015, 07:06:30 PM »

That's a good question. When I first pulled it off of a quote site, I thought it was from the Fornatale interview in 1977. Dennis talks a lot about Brian and the group, and does start to talk about how the Beach Boys were a powerhouse but were now much smaller. But, on a repeat listen, I realized that he was interrupted and didn't finish the thought, so its' not from there.

Must check that out.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »

That's a good question. When I first pulled it off of a quote site, I thought it was from the Fornatale interview in 1977. Dennis talks a lot about Brian and the group, and does start to talk about how the Beach Boys were a powerhouse but were now much smaller. But, on a repeat listen, I realized that he was interrupted and didn't finish the thought, so its' not from there.

Must check that out.

Yea the few interviews I've read and heard by him are all interesting.  But I haven't come across the one where he says this yet, I'd love to see it.  I hope one of us can find it  Smiley

-Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2015, 05:26:40 AM »

A quote that is often overlooked, spoken in 1976, as it seems, commenting Brian's return to the helm:

"He [Brian] was always the absolute producer, but little did he know that in his absence people grew up, people became as sensitive as the next guy. Why should I relinquish my rights as an artist?"
(from the Rusten/Stebbins book The Beach Boys In Concert, an essential read IMHO)

In the light of this quote - hadn't Brian returned, Dennis may not have done a solo album, as River Song had already been played live at BB concerts.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2015, 10:53:32 AM »

A quote that is often overlooked, spoken in 1976, as it seems, commenting Brian's return to the helm:

"He [Brian] was always the absolute producer, but little did he know that in his absence people grew up, people became as sensitive as the next guy. Why should I relinquish my rights as an artist?"
(from the Rusten/Stebbins book The Beach Boys In Concert, an essential read IMHO)

In the light of this quote - hadn't Brian returned, Dennis may not have done a solo album, as River Song had already been played live at BB concerts.

Ok, this has become my new favorite Dennis quote  Grin.  I have this book too but I must have overlooked that

-Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »

Ok, this has become my new favorite Dennis quote  Grin.  I have this book too but I must have overlooked that

On the first 1976 page I think, going over to the next page. IIRC that quote is in the Badham book, too.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2015, 11:14:38 PM »

On the first 1976 page I think, going over to the next page. IIRC that quote is in the Badham book, too.

O ok great, thanks!

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx