gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:25:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Dennis in the Wrong Group?  (Read 26846 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:36:18 PM »

I know that the original 5 were perfect and everything.  Brian didn't really need a group to make his music; and I'm sure most of you would say that the group needed him more than he needed them.  But couldn't the same be said about Dennis?  I mean he certainly stood out from the rest of them and his presence made them all look "cool".  If he wasn't there, would they have gotten as far as they did in the early days? Probably not.  I think he could've been in any other rock group and he probably would've gotten more recognition as an artist instead of just being labeled as "the dumb blonde surfer boy"...any thoughts?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »

I don't think anyone thinks of Dennis as "the dumb blonde surfer boy."

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:02 PM »

No.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »

I guess that depends on whether there was another band that would have taken on a drummer  who looked cool but couldn't actually play drums. When they decided to be a band, Dennis wasn't much of a musician, yet. The talent was there, but he had never developed it.  He learned his craft on-the-job, so to speak. The Dennis who recorded POB was the product of years of learning on the go, being in The Beach Boys, and being in the studio with Brian. Dennis may have felt constrained by the band by the time POB came along, but like it or not, he was also a product of it.

That goes for all of them. Brian needed the boys. They needed him and each other.  Change anything, and you don't have the Beach Boys, and without the Beach Boys, none of this would have happened for any of them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:56:23 PM by Cyncie » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »

Maybe not in those exact words but saying he was just there to attract fans and then how when he started writing songs, he wasn't taken seriously.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »

No maybe's about it!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »

Maybe not in those exact words but saying he was just there to attract fans and then how when he started writing songs, he wasn't taken seriously.

I don't think Dennis was there solely to make girls like the band, and by the time Dennis was writing songs, no one was taking any member of the Beach Boys seriously. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »

No.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »

I think if Dennis Wilson wasn't in The Beach Boys, he would probably have spent a lot of his life in jail.

Definitely he was in the right band, and the only band, that is for Dennis Wilson to be in.

No mas, por favor.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »

How many times have you seen the line: "The Beach Boys died with Dennis."

He was not in the wrong group.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »

I don't think Dennis would have gone into music had he not joined the Beach Boys. Seems we have his mum, Audree, to thank for that.

“We live in divisive times.”
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »

I don't think Dennis would have gone into music had he not joined the Beach Boys. Seems we have his mum, Audree, to thank for that.

Don't forget his big brother for showing him the way.  Grin

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 01:27:04 AM »

Hmmm... lessee...

Last name Wilson...

Surfs...

Played the drums some...

Have to say, he was a shoe-in for The Beach Boys.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 02:23:24 AM »

You mean "shoo-in"? God, Endlish is tougher than I thought, especially if you need a dictionary like I do.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 02:50:03 AM »

True, dat - I've been speaking it for almost 60 years, and I'm still struggling.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 03:31:32 AM »

You mean "shoo-in"? God, Endlish is tougher than I thought, especially if you need a dictionary like I do.

I can't even SPELL "English"! Shocked

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:11 AM »

I think if Dennis Wilson wasn't in The Beach Boys, he would probably have spent a lot of his life in jail.

Definitely he was in the right band, and the only band, that is for Dennis Wilson to be in.

Give this man a coconut.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 04:38:42 AM »

Give this man a coconut.

For him to eat it or do you want to throw it at his head? Smiley

beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 04:39:48 AM »

Ha. Was Harpo Marx in the wrong group.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 05:41:27 AM »

I know that the original 5 were perfect and everything.  Brian didn't really need a group to make his music; and I'm sure most of you would say that the group needed him more than he needed them.  But couldn't the same be said about Dennis?  I mean he certainly stood out from the rest of them and his presence made them all look "cool".  If he wasn't there, would they have gotten as far as they did in the early days? Probably not.  I think he could've been in any other rock group and he probably would've gotten more recognition as an artist instead of just being labeled as "the dumb blonde surfer boy"...any thoughts?
Actually six, including both Al and Dave, and they appear to have had a synergy where it appears they learned from each other and each brought something different to the table.    Brian, Dennis, & Carl

To answer the question, Dennis was in exactly the correct band!  LOL
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:46:47 AM by filledeplage » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 06:05:04 AM »

At least not these days. But back in the 60's...
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »

Dennis, I think, clearly suggested that HE felt he was in the wrong band.  And I think he did it a number of times.  And I also think it may well have been his own 'band-mates' who considered him to be the "dumb, blond, surfer".

Was it the substance abuse which caused his behavioral problems?  Likely.  But what caused the substance abuse?  Could be a number of different things.  Murry for starters.  Denny was a rebel from before he started throwing garbage and stuff on the neighbour's lawn across the street.  Welcome to the neighbourhood David Marks.  Being disrespected by his own band-mates must have been a real kick in the nuts...which they delivered over and over.  While Dennis remained closer to Brian...he clearly had little respect for his cousin.  For Carl and the others?  I don't know.

Denny, as far as I'm concerned, was musically gifted...and next to Brian, as things evolved...the MOST talented Beach Boy in the group.  Yet he couldn't get his songs included on albums?  [at least not in the numbers deserving of the actual tuneage]  Why?  Because he was just Denny...the dumb, blond surfer?  Then the 'Boy's do up the 'Love You' album and Denny, at the very, VERY least, equals it in terms of success, sales, critical acclaim and content with Pacific Ocean Blue.  None of THAT was good enough for the Beach Boys?

By that point Denny was in a downward spiral that would only get worse and worse.  He held his best stuff back from the group...saving it for his solo project[ s ]...like the upcoming Bamboo album.  Denny began to miss shows...whether he was physically there and chose not to participate/couldn't participate or whether he didn't even bother to show up in the alotted town.  His physical appearance and generally healthy 'look' slowly dissipated.  He was only 39 when he passed.  He looked like he was closer to 59.

I'd say that Dennis Wilson was in the wrong group...for the ultimate good of Dennis Wilson...from around Surf's Up...on.  I think, among other things, that being a Beach Boy...killed him.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:57:18 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »

Yeah, he was definitely in the right place. What other musical configuration could he have thrived in for as long as he did?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »

Yeah, he was definitely in the right place. What other musical configuration could he have thrived in for as long as he did?

Well...there IS that.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »

At least not these days. But back in the 60's...

It might be easy to form this kind of opinion about Dennis because of how the music he made appeared to be regarded by the rest of the group...but he got a lot of his songs onto Beach Boys albums (Sunflower has four!), even if just as many stayed unreleased, unrecorded or put out without much publicity.

BUT. He was clearly the most appealing to the ladies, he had a great voice with a decent number of leads early on AND was integral in both founding and defining The Beach Boys image into what they became famous for.

From my perspective, most real music fans see Dennis as he was - a great artist.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx