gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:59:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Dennis in the Wrong Group?  (Read 26889 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »

Huh Was there a specific reason why he wasn't featured on the In Concert Album though?  I think it's a slap in the face to see him being the only BB on the cover but none of his songs were featured.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »

Huh Was there a specific reason why he wasn't featured on the In Concert Album though?  I think it's a slap in the face to see him being the only BB on the cover but none of his songs were featured.

You're overthinking everything, I think. I don't think this was deliberate or even an oversight (i.e. someone saying "Denny's songs aren't important enough to consider"), there were probably no meetings between Mike and Bruce where they were snickering "Let's... NOT PUT ANY OF DENNIS' SONGS ON THE ALBUM! AHAHAHAHA!" or anything, it probably just worked out to be that way. I didn't even notice there were no Dennis songs on here until you pointed it out.

Brian has no leads on Carl and the Passions. I don't think it was deliberate, I think it just happened for a number of reasons, none of which had to do with, "f*** Brian, let's intentionally exclude him." I think it's the same on In Concert. Nothing deliberate, nothing in the way of just not thinking to include his songs because they didn't like his songs, it just worked out that way.

There's only one song that was largely Carl's work, zero songs that were largely Al's work, zero songs that were largely Mike's work, only two Ricky/Blondie-written songs, why no complaining about those? I don't mean to sound rude, but you're overanalyzing things and inventing things out of it because you like Dennis a lot.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:04:50 PM by XTC is my 2nd favorite band (all other bands r tied for 1st) » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »

Huh Was there a specific reason why he wasn't featured on the In Concert Album though?  I think it's a slap in the face to see him being the only BB on the cover but none of his songs were featured.

You're overthinking everything, I think. I don't think this was deliberate or even an oversight (i.e. someone saying "Denny's songs aren't important enough to consider"), there were probably no meetings between Mike and Bruce where they were snickering "Let's... NOT PUT ANY OF DENNIS' SONGS ON THE ALBUM! AHAHAHAHA!" or anything, it probably just worked out to be that way. I didn't even notice there were no Dennis songs on here until you pointed it out.

Brian has no leads on Carl and the Passions. I don't think it was deliberate, I think it just happened for a number of reasons, none of which had to do with, "f*** Brian, let's intentionally exclude him." I think it's the same on In Concert. Nothing deliberate, nothing in the way of just not thinking to include his songs because they didn't like his songs, it just worked out that way.

There's only one song that was largely Carl's work, zero songs that were largely Al's work, zero songs that were largely Mike's work, only two Ricky/Blondie-written songs, why no complaining about those? I don't mean to sound rude, but you're overanalyzing things and inventing things out of it because you like Dennis a lot.

No I'm not.  I do like Dennis a lot but I'm not the only one who has brought this particular topic up.  I, like many others, don't see why they couldn't feature a song of his on the live album, especially during that time where he was up front with the rest of the guys. 

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2015, 08:18:59 PM »

Among other possibilities, have you considered that Dennis may not have wanted any of his songs on it over the songs that were chosen? Maybe he didn't find any of his performances of these songs satisfactory? I'm not saying that's why, but they're possibilities. I don't think any reason has been given for no Dennis songs being on the album. Like I said, it may very well have just happened and worked out that way without any reason and no one was upset about it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:23:01 PM by XTC is my 2nd favorite band (all other bands r tied for 1st) » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2015, 08:27:34 PM »

For the record, a Dennis song would've been a fine addition to the record, to me, and I would've chosen some of his stuff over some of the stuff that did make it. Which of his songs were being played live around that time?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »

Among other possibilities, have you considered that Dennis may not have wanted any of his songs on it over the songs that were chosen? Maybe he didn't find any of his performances of these songs satisfactory? I'm not saying that's why, but they're possibilities. I don't think any reason has been given for no Dennis songs being on the album. Like I said, it may very well have just happened and worked out that way without any reason and no one was upset about it.

I think you're forgetting that when you spell Love backwards, it sorta sounds like EVIL!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:22:23 AM by Effervescent Tides » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:12:16 AM by Effervescent Tides » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »

Well, to me it's just odd.  I mean you have 3 different recordings of him singing "The Wanderer", you have 2 different recordings of him singing "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away", he sometimes sang "Do You Wanna Dance" (though I've never heard a recording of that) and on MIC we have him singing "Little Bird".  During all of those times, his main role was being behind the drums, so it was pretty rare for him to be up front then I would think. "All I Want to Do" was recorded during those London shows but wasn't released on the Live in London album.  But the In Concert album came out at a time where he had to be up front due to a hand injury (as we all know) and he was at his vocal peak, and from 1972 I've heard 2 different versions of him singing "Help Me Rhonda" plus he sang "Forever" and "Cuddle Up" a lot of times and "I've Got a Friend".  So for me, I don't get why he wouldn't want a song of his on the album, that's all.

There were 4 of his songs on Sunflower.  If there hadn't been a dispute about which song should close Surf's Up, then he wouldn't have felt the need to shelve "WIBNTLA" and "Fourth of July" ( and let's not forget that for the first BB boxset, Carl literally had to fight to get Denny's songs on there, which says something).

-Dennis Wilson
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:11 PM »

Ooh, burn

I'm surprised this is the first response you made here

It's all just very silly.
Glad to know you still care about me, though.

I care about everyone  Grin
Even me?? Cry Cry Cry

Even though you annoy the heck out of me, halblaineisgood, you can't be too bad.  After all, we both can say that the BB are the main reason we're here right  Wink?

-Dennis Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:09:25 AM by Effervescent Tides » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2015, 11:20:18 PM »

Ooh, burn

Even me?? Cry Cry Cry

Even though you annoy the heck out of me, halblaineisgood, you can't be too bad.  After all, we both can say that the BB are the main reason we're here right  Wink?

Perhaps this purrito will change your mind!

Must you go offtopic and derail this thread?

Anyway, it would have been great if a few Dennis songs were added onto In Concert. As much as I like the album, aside from the newer Holland-era material, the majority of the album consists of earlier pre-SMiLE songs. I wouldn't say drop tem entirely, but at the same time focus more on their then-contemporary material, or even more stuff from 20/20-Surf's Up. At least it wasn't exactly old yet in 1973.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2015, 12:09:22 AM »

Ooh, burn

Even me?? Cry Cry Cry

Anyway, it would have been great if a few Dennis songs were added onto In Concert. As much as I like the album, aside from the newer Holland-era material, the majority of the album consists of earlier pre-SMiLE songs. I wouldn't say drop tem entirely, but at the same time focus more on their then-contemporary material, or even more stuff from 20/20-Surf's Up. At least it wasn't exactly old yet in 1973.

Thank you.  It sucks this happens so often.

And yea you would think that they would've at least included "Forever" on there.

-Dennis Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2015, 12:39:36 AM »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:10:18 AM by Effervescent Tides » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2015, 12:41:53 AM »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:10:57 AM by Effervescent Tides » Logged
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2015, 12:43:22 AM »

Ooh, burn

Even me?? Cry Cry Cry

And yea you would think that they would've at least included "Forever" on there.

I don't think it's that surprising of a setlist: it focuses on the songs everyone knows them for and songs from their latest album.  Much as we all like Friends and Sunflower here, I don't think it's too surprising that they didn't include anything from albums that were a few years old and didn't sell very well at their release.  I do agree, though, that which Holland tracks they decided to include on In Concert seems a little odd, and I, for one, prefer "Only With You" to all the songs that they did include except maybe "Sail, On Sailor."

On the other hand, we did get a nice recording of "Only With You" on Made in California last year.  In fact, even if it doesn't speak well to Dennis' recognition in his own time, the fact that four of the fifteen live tracks on the box set were Dennis songs is a pretty good indication of the fact that his music is getting the recognition it deserves from fans (and box set compilers) now.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2015, 03:25:03 AM »

Ooh, burn

Even me?? Cry Cry Cry

I don't think it's that surprising of a setlist: it focuses on the songs everyone knows them for and songs from their latest album.  Much as we all like Friends and Sunflower here, I don't think it's too surprising that they didn't include anything from albums that were a few years old and didn't sell very well at their release.  I do agree, though, that which Holland tracks they decided to include on In Concert seems a little odd, and I, for one, prefer "Only With You" to all the songs that they did include except maybe "Sail, On Sailor."

On the other hand, we did get a nice recording of "Only With You" on Made in California last year.  In fact, even if it doesn't speak well to Dennis' recognition in his own time, the fact that four of the fifteen live tracks on the box set were Dennis songs is a pretty good indication of the fact that his music is getting the recognition it deserves from fans (and box set compilers) now.

Yeah, it's a big sign of his vindicated status of the last few years, along with the POB/Bambu reissue from a few years back. Been a long time since Carl had to persuade everyone to include Dennis songs for the Good Vibrations box set...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2015, 05:09:13 AM »

Your last five posts have consisted solely of this. Do you realise how annoying, and infantile, it is ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2015, 07:16:21 AM »

Ooh, burn

Even me?? Cry Cry Cry

Yeah, it's a big sign of his vindicated status of the last few years, along with the POB/Bambu reissue from a few years back. Been a long time since Carl had to persuade everyone to include Dennis songs for the Good Vibrations box set...

The fact that there was even an issue about this angers me  Angry.  Why wouldn't you want to  include your deceased brother/cousin/bandmate's work on a box set like that?  But also WIBNTLA was supposed to be in a later compilation album and got outvoted until finally the fans started petitioning to get the song on MIC.

-Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »

Your last five posts have consisted solely of this. Do you realise how annoying, and infantile, it is ?

I don't think it's infantile, it points (haha! Cheesy) to a computer problem which prevents him from doing real posts. I could be wrong, but let's wait and see.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2015, 07:30:42 AM »

For the record, a Dennis song would've been a fine addition to the record, to me, and I would've chosen some of his stuff over some of the stuff that did make it. Which of his songs were being played live around that time?

I THINK the only songs being performed during the time they were recording for "In Concert " that featured a DW lead were I've Got A Friend, Cuddle Up, Forever and the occasional lead on Help Me Rhonda. None of those were show staples so there may have been only one (or maybe two) recordings of those specific songs. If there was a technical glitch with the recording or if someone didn't like their performance, there may have not been a second recording to choose from. So that could be a reason why one of those weren't included on the album.

Recently we did get Help Me Rhonda on the MIC box set.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »

Also, the two shows that I attended that fit in the timeframe that In Concert was recorded from, I don't remember Dennis singing any leads at those shows. Seems he took a more active part singing leads during the 1969 through early 1972 years.

To the other old timers like me, do you guys remember Dennis singing leads during the In Concert recording timeframe?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:22:20 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »

I don't think it's infantile, it points (haha! Cheesy) to a computer problem which prevents him from doing real posts. I could be wrong, but let's wait and see.

Doubtful, considering that he's been editing the vast majority of his older posts as well. Knowing him, It wouldn't be a stretch to say it's intentional. There's even a thread dedicated to that:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19469.0.html

Back on-topic: It would have been nice if they chose to include the MIC version of Help Me Rhonda with lead vocals by Dennis instead of the version with Al. Oh well...
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »

Doubtful, considering that he's been editing the vast majority of his older posts as well. Knowing him, It wouldn't be a stretch to say it's intentional. There's even a thread dedicated to that:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19469.0.html

Back on-topic: It would have been nice if they chose to include the MIC version of Help Me Rhonda with lead vocals by Dennis instead of the version with Al. Oh well...

I bet there's more in the vaults that we still haven't heard.

-Dennis Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »

Sorry when I went off topic earlier.

Back on topic....

I can say whatever I want as long as I segue ...
That's pretty neat!  angel

Back on topic....

Why would a "computer problem" cause all of my posts to turn into a period.   Roll Eyes

Back on topic....

They should have included both the Al Version and the Dennis version of Help Me Rhonda on MIC.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:04:04 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx