gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:14:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Get Around  (Read 6297 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »

How many of you love this Song?  This is my Opinion but this song reminds me of a heavy Metal song

I had a fast Life
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »

I do. And I think it's heavy, too.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »

But not metal.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

The chorus reminds me of the overworld theme from the first Final Fantasy game. Someone tell me why this is.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »

The chorus reminds me of the overworld theme from the first Final Fantasy game. Someone tell me why this is.

Bad Hearing?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

When I first heard it...I thought that it was just OUTSTANDING.  A step forward for music.  The flip side was pretty other-worldly too.  These Beach Boys are leaders not followers.  This is where expectations really began to grow [for me].

When I heard the very first Led Zeppelin album I though...man!!!  THIS is new.  No one ever sounded like THIS before.  A gigantic leap for mankind.  This is something else.  Totally unique.  I LOVE it.

I Get Around. Don't Worry Baby and Good Vibrations also did THAT for me.  [albeit a few years earlier]  In THAT regard...I'd agree that I Get Around was like heavy metal.  So too is a large crowbar. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »

Bad Hearing?

Maybe stop hitting on me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:19:57 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:22:18 PM »

How many of you love this Song?  This is my Opinion but this song reminds me of a heavy Metal song

You know, Surfer, you seem to start new threads without 'concluding' your previous ones and seeing closure. You ask questions and don't thank or acknowledge the responders to your questions or comments or requests for further information. You leave them hanging with one opening post with no follow-up. On your previous thread, we wanted clarification and confirmation on your new "CD' that you received for Christmas. Now you start a new thread with the premise that a classic Beach Boys hit sounds like "Heavy Metal", which is really an off-the-wall statement. You make a vague comment without backing it up with why you think that way. The previous thread had no details, just a title. No track list, dates, or anything to give us some background. We salvage your threads anyway and make something out of almost nothing. This seems to be an on-going trend. We understand your condition, but we know you're capable of contributing better posts here, especially by following up after starting them. Some people would call it trolling, but we know you're not a troll. Hope you can understand what I'm talking about and please don't take offense, OK?

P.S. The band that 'Add Some' mentioned above was the first Heavy Metal one as far as I'm concerned, starting in 1969.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:36:14 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »

Nothin' new to add, other than I think IGA is pretty Avant-garde.  My first proper listen (in terms of actually listening) was around '83; punk, post punk, new wave, and even quirky hits like Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie were already vibrating around my pretty young head (especially my face) - yet IGA deglazed all songs I'd pedestalled, and remains a key song in my listening list.

For a guy who was yet to really get on the grass, Brian certainly came up with something out-there.  Those syncopated/staccatoey twists and turns during the VERSE - funny that years later, a session player had to suggest Brian take a staccato approach to resolve  the GOK break!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:39:23 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »

I too would like to hear Surfer come back into this thread and elaborate.  Not picking on you my friend, but what about I Get Around reminds you of heavy metal?  Or are you referring to a particular heavy metal song?  You've got me curious now....

My personal opinion of I Get Around is that it is an excellent song.  Perfect for the time it was released, and a great classic today.  I think there's a lot going on in this just over two minute slice of 60s California teenage life!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 09:52:43 PM »

I too would like to hear Surfer come back into this thread and elaborate.  Not picking on you my friend, but what about I Get Around reminds you of heavy metal?  
Maybe you should should say why it's not a heavy metal song.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »

If it's that important to you.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »

I am picking on you.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »

Have you heard the track-only on the recent KAEOS download release? That emphasises just what a heavy track I Get Around really is.

And what Mikie said. Would love to read more about your thoughts, Surfer.

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »

Most people here know that before I became a fan in 1995, I used to dismiss the Beach Boys as some lightweight oldies band. Well, I Get Around was the exception. I fell in love with it upon hearing it in 1989 on the Look Who's Talking soundtrack. Blew me away. Sounded very punk to my young ears.  That and When I grow up made me a bit curious, although they were a guilty pleasure as it was uncool to like anything by the BB at that time. Plus my dad hated them( he was more about the blues and 70s classic rock, the kind you hear on the radio)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »

Have you heard the track-only on the recent KAEOS download release? That emphasises just what a heavy track I Get Around really is.

KAEOS is bottom end heavy . It sort of captures the spirit of those no-highs capitol 45's.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:43:12 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 02:43:36 AM »

I find Little Honda to be the heaviest track.  That's the tune that makes me wanna shove people around like I'm listening to the Stooges or something.  We should form a moshpit at the RAH.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 02:57:22 AM »

I find Little Honda to be the heaviest track.

It features a absolutely punk guitar anyway! Wish that had been mixed louder.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 04:32:45 AM »

Easily one of the best rock songs of the 60s. Mike's hook sets you on a ride that you will never forget. The music of the verses is so funky and Carl's guitar solo is exciting. The acapella breaks bring it all home. In fact the single may be one of the greatest 45s ever.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »

I too would like to hear Surfer come back into this thread and elaborate.  Not picking on you my friend, but what about I Get Around reminds you of heavy metal?  Or are you referring to a particular heavy metal song?  You've got me curious now....

My personal opinion of I Get Around is that it is an excellent song.  Perfect for the time it was released, and a great classic today.  I think there's a lot going on in this just over two minute slice of 60s California teenage life!

This song reminds of a Heavy Metal song is because of the Guitars and those Guitars sound like Metalic in sound

I had a fast Life
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »

I hated this song since the first time I heard it as a toddler in the late '70s.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »

I Get Around and Little Honda both have that cool distorted guitar fuzz which make it sound heavy and/or punk. The intro to Little Honda is just as blistering as a Ramones song.

Blue Cheer was the first heavy metal band. They were around before Zeppelin.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »

IGA: Personally I prefer the live in Sacramento and TAMI versions. They're played a bit faster and the verse arrangement is more driving. If you could combine the isolated fuzz bass from the studio recording into those, that'd be perfect.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 04:07:16 AM »

You know, Surfer, you seem to start new threads without 'concluding' your previous ones and seeing closure. You ask questions and don't thank or acknowledge the responders to your questions or comments or requests for further information. You leave them hanging with one opening post with no follow-up. On your previous thread, we wanted clarification and confirmation on your new "CD' that you received for Christmas. Now you start a new thread with the premise that a classic Beach Boys hit sounds like "Heavy Metal", which is really an off-the-wall statement. You make a vague comment without backing it up with why you think that way. The previous thread had no details, just a title. No track list, dates, or anything to give us some background. We salvage your threads anyway and make something out of almost nothing. This seems to be an on-going trend. We understand your condition, but we know you're capable of contributing better posts here, especially by following up after starting them. Some people would call it trolling, but we know you're not a troll. Hope you can understand what I'm talking about and please don't take offense, OK?

Mikie, Surfer's a lot like Brian in this respect. Gets easily bored, moves on. I can dig it. At least he's making positive contributions to the board.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »

...and Carl's guitar solo is exciting.

I told a non-fan buddy years ago that "I Get Around" features "the greatest guitar solo ever recorded." He immediately listed a dozen or so other guitar solos that he regarded as superior. It occurred to me later that I misspoke. What I should have said is that the guitar solo in "IGA" is set up brilliantly by the preceding chorus and that it then takes the song perfectly into the key change (up a half step) of the third/final verse and choruses. Sure, the solo itself may not be amazing from a technical perspective but it helps direct the song so perfectly that the point is moot.

"IGA" seems to me to be proto-proto-punk, instrumentally, but it isn't heavy metal. That overdriven baritone guitar (a similar sound is also featured in "Fun, Fun, Fun", "Dance, Dance, Dance" and "Little Honda") that chugs along throughout the song gives it an edge that just screams early punk rock. And that electric harpsichord that's in there... it's quite prominent in the mix of the track on the 30th anniversary box set "Good Vibrations"... disc five, I think... is just played balls to the wall, too. Love it!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx