gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:58:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Hallmark CD  (Read 3078 times)
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2006, 12:37:43 PM »

I only looked at it once, but is Darian not on the new Brian track at all?  Why do you tihnk that is?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 02:36:40 PM »

I believe someone else had said that it was cut the same day as "Walking Down the Path of Life/L&M," in which case I think it was just a matter of timing and scheduling. It isn't even close to the full band, just some of those who were, apparently, available: Scott, Nelson, Jeff and Taylor, is it? I forget exactly, but something like that. Therefore no Nick, Darian, Hines, Lizik, Mertens or Probyn.

I wouldn't read much (actually I wouldn't read anything) into it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »

Does anybody have any infos on how much the CD is selling? Any chance for a chart-position?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 02:55:16 PM »

Isn't it only available at Hallmark stores? I can't imagine you can move enough to make the charts without selling in actual record stores, can you?

Of course, I might be wrong. I'm wrong a lot. Maybe it IS in record stores, and maybe you CAN make the charts without being in them anyway.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »

I think it's not in record stores - it's a Hallmark exclusive.  And i would be shocked if a Hallmark exclusive were to chart...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 03:35:55 AM »

Soundscan monitors sales, but they only monitor sales at certain places, thus a "non-traditional" outlets (like grocery stores, I believe) that sell CD's or DVD's don't get counted in sales. I would tend to doubt that Hallmark sales are monitored.

Apparently, a few past Hallmark-exclusive releases sold quite well. Somebody once said that the McDonald Christmas CD or whatever it was sold over a million copies. So perhaps that one would have charted had it been monitered; I don't know if it charted or if it was monitered.

While a lot of these Hallmark CD's apparently sell quite well, and while I'm sure the BB CD will sell fairly well to captive audiences at these stores, I wouldn't be surprised if the BB CD is one of the lesser-selling of recent Hallmark releases. Most of the previous Hallmark stuff I've seen tends to be sort of Adult-Contemporary type music. But who knows, maybe the BB CD will sell well and we'll see more BB stuff either through Hallmark or at least through this new website.

In one of the very early press releases about the CD, I recall Hallmark mentioning that they might attempt a mainstream release of the CD after its exclusive turn at Hallmark stores. I can't imagine the CD really selling that well as a standalone mainstream release, unless it is sold for $5-$8, so I don't know what exactly Hallmark is thinking.

Now watch, later this year they will announce a mainstream, worldwide release of "Songs from Here & Back", with one EXTRA bonus track or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 05:31:12 AM »

Now watch, later this year they will announce a mainstream, worldwide release of "Songs from Here & Back", with one EXTRA bonus track or something.

Oohh, I can't wait.... Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 11:10:56 AM »

If they make the concert portion much longer, it'd definitely sell. Just put a sticker on it saying "THREE NEW STUDIO RECORDINGS!"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »

we'll see more BB stuff through this new website.

That's the idea....

Think Elvis/FTD....

I'm not at liberty to discuss what was said, but I seriously doubt we'll be disappointed by what is in store for us...... in fact I think I was almost drooling at some of the stuff he mentioned.... and if you were paying attention at Hodadfest, Mike Meros let something slip he probably shouldn't have....

Now if I could only hurry up and get a job so I could pay for all the goodness coming our way soon....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 02:56:13 PM »

and if you were paying attention at Hodadfest, Mike Meros let something slip he probably shouldn't have....

And you wouldn't tell someone, who wasn't there, what Meros did say, would you...?

- Jack Rieley
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »

what was that?  I think your mic is unplugged and i couldn't hear over the sound of me eating a peach from a southern state that's always on my mind.  Time to set my time-machine back about 13 years....     Cool

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 02:41:38 AM »

we'll see more BB stuff through this new website.

That's the idea....

Think Elvis/FTD....

I'm not at liberty to discuss what was said, but I seriously doubt we'll be disappointed by what is in store for us...... in fact I think I was almost drooling at some of the stuff he mentioned.... and if you were paying attention at Hodadfest, Mike Meros let something slip he probably shouldn't have....

Now if I could only hurry up and get a job so I could pay for all the goodness coming our way soon....

The only thing I knew about FTD was that it is a flower delivery company. A quick search shows that FTD is a label that issues all sorts of "speciality" releases of Elvis music (live soundboard recordings, studio outtakes), and this sounds precisely like what I'd love to have the BB's do. It seems as though the FTD thing for Elvis consists of real CD releases, not download-only. Can I assume the BB project will be the same? I certainly hope it isn't download only. Not only would CD releases of course sound better, but for people who are still on dialup, it is the only real option.

If the BB's are doing something similar to this FTD label for Elvis, it will be interesting to see if it consists mostly of live recordings (which would still be great), or if the various BB's will be convinced to allow release of Brother-era studio material.

As for the Mike Meros comment, I too would love to hear what it was. I wasn't there either. For that matter, I'd like to hear any interesting comments he made.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Totally Jason
Smiley Smile Associate

WWMLD?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 02:51:32 AM »

Apparently, a few past Hallmark-exclusive releases sold quite well. Somebody once said that the McDonald Christmas CD or whatever it was sold over a million copies. So perhaps that one would have charted had it been monitered; I don't know if it charted or if it was monitered.

Yeah, I think James Taylor's Christmas album also hit the platinum mark. Martina McBride and Michael Buble weren't far behind, I believe.

Anyway, agreed regarding the FTD/Elvis-esque path to be taken for the Boys. Certainly seems likely, based upon all we've heard.

"Songs from Here & Back", with one EXTRA bonus track

Feel Flows: 2K6 by The Stamos.

Now, Summer is the time where there are no strings attached, but we could get together if you come on back. I'd like to tell you, if it's any satisfaction, you'll always be my Summer season's main attraction.
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 04:07:34 AM »

Isn't it only available at Hallmark stores? I can't imagine you can move enough to make the charts without selling in actual record stores, can you?

Of course, I might be wrong. I'm wrong a lot. Maybe it IS in record stores, and maybe you CAN make the charts without being in them anyway.

Got mine from E Bay, looks like the only way to get it in the UK, don't think it'll make the charts that way though.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx