gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:49:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Presley's 80th  (Read 4305 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »

Today would've been Elvis Presley's 80th birthday!

Time for some music. From each decade:

"My baby left me", 1956:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Ft08waa9o

"Just tell her Jim said hello", 1962:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QUMsGWIb2M

"Whole lotta shakin' goin' on", 1970:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asGttQF_0wk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:17:41 AM »

"Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" was a great one to pull out of your hat!  I haven't heard that in years.  A Leiber and Stoller b-side gem.  I like this better than the a-side (She's Not You").  I'll have to track down a copy of Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4.  Is it on any other comp.?  Give us some more info on the track if you've got it.  Follow That Dream helped make that a fun summer in '62.  Not considered one of his best movies, but as a ten year old I thought it was funny.

Turner Classic Movies (TV channel in America) is running Elvis movies all day.  Have it on in fact.  Viva Las Vegas right now.  Gotta go, Ann's got the gloves off, and the coat is about to fall to the floor...

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »

I just let Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller do the talking  Wink

Mike S: That was it. After that we stopped writing for Elvis. He continued to record songs of ours that had already been recorded by other performers. There was one exception—Doc Pomus called us up one day. We were all in the Brill Building. Doc was a dear friend and Jerry and I had produced lots of Doc and Morty's (Shuman) songs with the Drifters. Mort had either- gone off to Japan or moved to Paris. Doc, who was feeling somewhat abandoned, said, "Come on up, let's write a song for Elvis." So, at Doc's request, the three of us did just that. The song was "She's Not You."

Jerry L: Elvis did a really good job on it. He never did a bad job on any song. "She's Not You" is based on the style and sentiment of "I Really Don't Want To Know,"* one of the greatest country songs ever written.

"Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" was actually written with Johnny Cash in mind, but we sent it to Freddy Bienstock as a submission for Elvis.

Source: http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_jerry_leiber.html

"Just tell her Jim said hello" is one heck of a masterpiece. And it also shows the unbelievable stereo sound that Bill Porter pulled out in Nashville's Studio B. The early 60s gave us some of Elvis' very best recordings and performances and Bill Porter's genius was an important part of that. Presley's hard work on his singing in Germany showed as he sang himself with before unheard ease through his now even broader range of material. "It's now or never", "Surrender", you just name it. If ever there was pure gold in someone's voice, it was this time. It's not unlike Brian Wilson's seemingly unlimited ability to sing everything he set out to during '65/'66.
During these years Elvis also first showed his love for latin-american flavored music. "Just tell her Jim said hello" with it's bossa-nova sound or the great ballads like "For the millionth and the last time" and his own co-composition "You'll be gone" (written with Red West and Charlie Hodge) are good examples.

"Just tell her Jim said hello" appeared on single as the b-side to the No. 1 "She's not you" as feelsflow already mentioned. The album "Pot luck" has a song reminiscent of this one and cut during the same time, "Fountain of love". I don't know if it's available on other compilations. I'm not very good at that. but it for sure is an overlooked gem.

Also an "answer" song was cut in '63 by Gerri Granger, called "Just tell him Jane said hello":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_vWoV-Js9k

Just a couple of weeks ago, someone of the "For Elvis CD Collectors"-messageboard posted a pic of Presley, Leiber & Stoller from 1957 during publicity for "Jailhouse rock" that was new to me.

Here's one that's well known:

And here's the "new" one:

* Elvis recorded a version of "I really don't want to know" for his "Elvis Country - I'm 10,000 years old" album in 1970. Probably the most soulful version of that song you could imagine. And in his last year it also became part of his live shows from time to time, also appearing during the '77 CBS special "Elvis in concert".

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:20:45 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »

One of my all-time favourites by the Big E--
--love that chuckle towards the end!

"Baby Let's Play House"

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »

One of my all-time favourites by the Big E--
--love that chuckle towards the end!

"Baby Let's Play House"

Same for me. Love that performance! Thanks for posting.

BTW, looking at your signature: today is also David Bowie's birthday

- Jack Rieley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »

Thanks Rocker, I knew you would come up with something I'd not heard before.  Sure you had a fun day with your Elvis collection!

Keep it rockin' til midnight.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:15:22 AM »

They say you learn something new every day. Thanks. i really didn't know. :=)

Looking for a connection between Bowie and Presley (but not expecting to find anything) I discovered that according to David he initially offered "Golden Years" to Elvis, who declined it...

Here!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 05:29:22 AM »

"Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" also appeared on the expanded CD version of the POT LUCK album - it may be out of print at the moment. Great tune.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 06:10:27 AM »

"Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello" also appeared on the expanded CD version of the POT LUCK album - it may be out of print at the moment. Great tune.

You're right! I only thought about the original album releases and not the re-releases because I don't have a very good overview on them. That said, "Just tell her Jim said hello" might also be on FTD's "Pot luck" release, but I'm not sure without checking it.

Thanks Rocker, I knew you would come up with something I'd not heard before.

Always glad if I can help putting the focus on Elvis' music.  Wink

They say you learn something new every day. Thanks. i really didn't know. :=)

Looking for a connection between Bowie and Presley (but not expecting to find anything) I discovered that according to David he initially offered "Golden Years" to Elvis, who declined it...

I didn't know that! Thanks for the info! I don't know very much of Bowie and that song was unknown to me until I looked ofr it on youtube after reading your post. I wonder if it really would've been a good one for Elvis.

Golden Years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKUy6ygUgP0

But it's interesting to note that quite a few famous songwriters who grew up on Elvis offered or planned to offer songs to him. Bruce Springsteen wanted to give this song:

Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-srbcsqoY4

Carl Perkins had Elvis in mind for a song called "Mama" (you can hear it on Perkins' "Jet propelled" double CD). IIRC there were also tunes by George Harrison, Elton John and Bob Dylan for Elvis. But I fear that many were trying to put they're own view on what Elvis should be recording on him. Many of them didn't seem to understand that Elvis didn't necessarily want to record what they would consider an "Elvis-song". On the other hand, I doubt he heard these song at all.

- Jack Rieley
Mr. French
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 07:07:54 AM »

The story I heard is that Elvis considered covering "Golden Years" after hearing Bowie's single. It may have worked had he tried. David was on RCA Records at the time btw.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »

The story I heard is that Elvis considered covering "Golden Years" after hearing Bowie's single. It may have worked had he tried. David was on RCA Records at the time btw.
Really? The plot thickens! Thanks for that, Mr. F,  and welcome. :=)

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 05:15:23 PM »

Look, it was Elvis' 80th birthday regardless of if he's alive or not. In 100 years, it'll be his 180th birthday. In 200 years, on the slight chance that I'm no longer around, it'll still be my 229th birthday.

GOD.

*shouts "GAWW-AWWWD" from the sewers like Jeff Foskett circa-2012*

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 10:09:11 PM »

We all get older, but Elvis is frozen in time. Suffice to say he really brought R&B to the young people of the 50s and 60s, and in later years made country music a national obsession.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »

Welcome to the board Mr. French!

And runnersdialzero, did I understand it correctly that it was your birthday as well? If so, congratulations!

We all get older, but Elvis is frozen in time. Suffice to say he really brought R&B to the young people of the 50s and 60s, and in later years made country music a national obsession.

I don't know about country. For many people it was a natural thing to go back to country after Rock'n'Roll had faded, I guess. The big interest in country also started during Elvis' movie years, fueled by the folk scene. But Presley sure had a lot of country hits during his later periode. But he never did pure country music. The closes probably would be "Just call me lonesome" so I'm not sure if I would agree. The outlaw movement and later on Urban Cowboy certainly had a bigger influence on that.

BTW it wasn't mentioned yet, a few days ago Joe Guercio died.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:45:40 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »

And runnersdialzero, did I understand it correctly that it was your birthday as well? If so, congratulations!

Naw, I share a birthday with Avril Lavigne and Lil Wayne. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »

I never liked that Elvis' version of "Got my mojo working/Hands off" didn't have a real intro (it was a spontaneous jam) so I just edited something for the sheer fun of it. I would've included the backgroundvocals which I really like but I couldn't do it without getting the horns (which on the other hand in this case I hate with a passion) onto this as well. Therefor I used the undubbed version from the "A hundred years from now" CD.
It's nothing big, nothing fancy, just a little edit:

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/ZdLUiEkH/file.html

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 10:12:05 PM »

Elvis's touch on pop culture can't really be overstated.  I don't have children, but the other day I found myself watching a cartoon.  It's called "Dinosaur Train", I happened to have it on that channel, and the show came on, I'd never seen it so I watched a few minutes.  It's a show for young children and shows some Dinosaurs going to visit other dinosaurs, it basically teaches them names and what the differences were between each dinosaur.  

So, they go visit a T-Rex who's called "The King".  He's a full-on Elvis caricature, and sang a little rockabilly song about a Dinosaur.  

So 40 years after his death, he's still influencing the cartoons we show our children.  

The caricatures that they use to represent him are cheesy and stereotypical, but all of that ultimately is based out of love.  Everybody loves Elvis, even if they won't admit it, the world has rarely seen an entertainer as talented as him.  I think it's always worth noting too, his strong character.  The man had flaws like we all do, but even his ex-wife is quick to speak of what a kind, loving human being he was.  

Great man, incredible singer.  Thank GOD he recorded so much while he was with us that we can remember him by.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:15:59 PM by Ron » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »

Great man, incredible singer.  Thank GOD he recorded so much while he was with us that we can remember him by.  

Oh. Yeah!

If anyone shouldn't know what to ask Brian when he will answer questions, please ask him what his favorite Presley song is. It's really not important but I always wondered. We have footage of him playing "His latest flame" and "The wonder of you". So it might be something unexpected. I wonder if Brian ever heard Elvis' version of "You've lost that loving feeling"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:53:07 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 06:54:49 PM »

Never considered myself to be much of a Presley fan.  YET...I'd say I have about a dozen Elvis cds.  Not bad for a 'non' fan eh?  About 50% of it is pre RCA.  There were others from the era I liked and still like at least as much.  Some...significantly more.  Not certain that the competition was as fierce or plentiful back then but still... he did it.  Some of his material has stood the test of time quite well.  A most significant 'player' as it turns out.  Staying power?  Hard to believe it been well over 35 years since he passed.  A prototype performer.  As a musician...he was a decent pianist, a poor songwriter and an extraordinary singer.  Enough to make him 'The King of Rock 'n' Roll?
Apparently. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 12:10:58 AM »

Elvis's touch on pop culture can't really be overstated.  I don't have children, but the other day I found myself watching a cartoon.  It's called "Dinosaur Train", I happened to have it on that channel, and the show came on, I'd never seen it so I watched a few minutes.  It's a show for young children and shows some Dinosaurs going to visit other dinosaurs, it basically teaches them names and what the differences were between each dinosaur.  

So, they go visit a T-Rex who's called "The King".  He's a full-on Elvis caricature, and sang a little rockabilly song about a Dinosaur.  

So 40 years after his death, he's still influencing the cartoons we show our children.  

The caricatures that they use to represent him are cheesy and stereotypical, but all of that ultimately is based out of love.  Everybody loves Elvis, even if they won't admit it, the world has rarely seen an entertainer as talented as him.  I think it's always worth noting too, his strong character.  The man had flaws like we all do, but even his ex-wife is quick to speak of what a kind, loving human being he was.  

And a great post by you, Ron, thank you.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx