gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 02:00:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Bigger Than the Beatles" Movie Trailer Released  (Read 6527 times)
Dennis_Wilson_Fan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »

Hey, everyone, the movie trailer to the upcoming Beach Boys / Manson biopic was released yesterday. Looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-FLq9Dw74
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »

Really period-accurate hair from Johnny Sunglasses there...  Black and white video just doesn't nail that ethereal quality of black and white film but it can definitely help hide some rough edges... but prolly not fresh from the salon 10s haircuts. Looks super low budget but an epic compared to the celluloid sludge I make. Still, I  can't resist an exploitation movie! If only Larry Buchanan tackled this material...

So are you involved with this production, then?

Also, didn't Apple Corps trademark the drop-t logo in the 90s? Ah well, Fair Use I suppose.

"Copyright infringement is your best entertainment value." - Negativland
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:32:28 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »

Hey, everyone, the movie trailer to the upcoming Beach Boys / Manson biopic was released yesterday. Looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-FLq9Dw74

I saw it too. Looks oretty good
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:50:56 AM »

Too bad the guy playing Dennis doesn't even try to sound like him. At least Bruce Greenwood came close to nailing Dennis' post-'74 voice in the "Summer Dreams" TV movie.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:33:48 AM »

Too bad the guy playing Dennis doesn't even try to sound like him. At least Bruce Greenwood came close to nailing Dennis' post-'74 voice in the "Summer Dreams" TV movie.

I know right? He doesn't even look like him either.  The other guy (Terry Melcher?) in the film looked closer to the real Dennis than that guy did.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »

Really period-accurate hair from Johnny Sunglasses there...  Black and white video just doesn't nail that ethereal quality of black and white film but it can definitely help hide some rough edges... but prolly not fresh from the salon 10s haircuts. Looks super low budget but an epic compared to the celluloid sludge I make. Still, I  can't resist an exploitation movie! If only Larry Buchanan tackled this material...

So are you involved with this production, then?

Also, didn't Apple Corps trademark the drop-t logo in the 90s? Ah ell, Fair Use I suppose.

"Copyright infringement is your best entertainment value." - Negativland
Ontor - black and white is more dramatic with the story, notwithstanding that it is anachronistic.   There was color film in 1968-9.  Dennis doesn't really have a beard, and he didn't have one then.  The hair looks pretty close, I agree. People who make films should pay better attention to those details.  

Seeing Manson sickened me more profoundly, knowing that he appears unrehabilitated, unremorseful, and still predatory, according to stuff I've recently seen.  

And, I'm not sure I appreciate your position on copyright.  Just sayin'.  Wink

Fair use can be a slippery slope.

"The distinction between fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.  Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission." US Copyright Office.

And they (The US Copyright Office) advise consulting an attorney if there is any doubt.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:16:02 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 06:42:39 AM »

Based on my experience in the film biz, the fair use doesn't really apply, either in terms of copyright fair use (which is primarily for news or educational purposes) or trademark fair use.  For the latter, they've copped the actual font style of that Beatles logo, which is a violation of trademark.   I suspect they're also on shaky ground with the use of the Capitol logo on the Beach Boys Never Learn Not to Love single, even though they've cut off words, the intent is there.

However, this may be intentional.  The budget for this epic is, at best, in the (very) low six figures.  No names in the cast.  In fact, most of the cast and crew seem to have very little actual film experience, apart from short films.  In order to have any hope of securing any kind of distribution, their best bet is to stir up controversy.  That would include "pressure" and "threats" from copyright and/or trademark holders.

I can see the AFM flyer now... " the film they didn't want you to see!"

As they say, any publicity is good publicity.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »

Based on my experience in the film biz, the fair use doesn't really apply, either in terms of copyright fair use (which is primarily for news or educational purposes) or trademark fair use.  For the latter, they've copped the actual font style of that Beatles logo, which is a violation of trademark.   I suspect they're also on shaky ground with the use of the Capitol logo on the Beach Boys Never Learn Not to Love single, even though they've cut off words, the intent is there.

However, this may be intentional.  The budget for this epic is, at best, in the (very) low six figures.  No names in the cast.  In fact, most of the cast and crew seem to have very little actual film experience, apart from short films.  In order to have any hope of securing any kind of distribution, their best bet is to stir up controversy.  That would include "pressure" and "threats" from copyright and/or trademark holders.

I can see the AFM flyer now... " the film they didn't want you to see!"

As they say, any publicity is good publicity.
Steve - I wasn't even thinking about the logo, which is another whole story, but the quote.

Different countries have different rules on what is protected, which makes it tricky on a global forum.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:20:46 AM »

<<Steve - I wasn't even thinking about the logo, which is another whole story, but the quote.
Different countries have different rules on what is protected, which makes it tricky on a global forum. >>

This brings up another tricky issue.  Foreign sales are the key to any kind of indie distribution deal.  And any kind of murkiness as regards copyright infringement, trademark infringement, underlying rights, etc., tends to make distributors squeamish about acquisition.  They're not normally willing to take on the attendant legal costs without guarantee of substantial profit.  And that's a tough guarantee for a $150,000 movie with no names.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 07:47:58 AM »

<<Steve - I wasn't even thinking about the logo, which is another whole story, but the quote.
Different countries have different rules on what is protected, which makes it tricky on a global forum. >>

This brings up another tricky issue.  Foreign sales are the key to any kind of indie distribution deal.  And any kind of murkiness as regards copyright infringement, trademark infringement, underlying rights, etc., tends to make distributors squeamish about acquisition.  They're not normally willing to take on the attendant legal costs without guarantee of substantial profit.  And that's a tough guarantee for a $150,000 movie with no names.

I wouldn't have touched that "The Beatles" logo with a ten foot pole.  But, last night I saw something I found pretty funny on some show. There was an interviewer asking young people if they who "Paul McCartney" was, and  cutting in and out of the well-recognized Ed Sullivan clips.  And no one seemed to know, even with the interview guy singing a few bars of "She Loves You" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (or something well-known among boomers, etc.) and they looked at the guy as though he had ten heads...

But, I'd bet those kids would have known, "Aruba, Jamaica" or "Everybody's gone Surfin, Surfin' USA" but they didn't recognize the name Paul McCartney (The Beatles) so I'm wondering about the title.  You never know what is "going to fly."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:05:46 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »

Uch. So stupid.

Forgetting everything aesthetically incorrect about it (Manson didn't really walk around acting like a 55 year old killer, that's one of about 280 things wrong) -- if someone is so into writing/producing a fetish project as this, why not raise enough money to do it well. It's a fascinating subject. Spend the proper money to pay for talent, cinematography, wardrobe, etc.

Just tired of college project quality Beach Boys stuff.
This is like the unaired DW/Manson episode of YACHT ROCK.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »

Uch. So stupid.

Forgetting everything aesthetically incorrect about it (Manson didn't really walk around acting like a 55 year old killer, that's one of about 280 things wrong) -- if someone is so into writing/producing a fetish project as this, why not raise enough money to do it well. It's a fascinating subject. Spend the proper money to pay for talent, cinematography, wardrobe, etc.

Just tired of college project quality Beach Boys stuff.
This is like the unaired DW/Manson episode of YACHT ROCK.
Manson seems to crave publicity, and I'd rather not see his wishes accommodated. 

It just seems to feed and validate his ego.

Never thought of a "college quality" project.   Interesting way of looking at it.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:11 PM »

I watched this again and someone next to me cried "that looks sh*t!" -- in all fairness it could have been in reference to my hair.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »

I actually think the actors look pretty spot on. The bearded Dennis is the older Dennis reflecting on his past. Yes, younger Dennis is scruffy, but real life pictures from back then show that he wasn't necessarily shaving every day: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IrWhyx7fiok/UL6LOqSj5NI/AAAAAAAADmk/tKmMJRSHH_8/w640-h400-p-k/BeachBoys1969_HawthorneHS.png . I actually think the Brian actor looks great considering that Brian is only a small part of this story. He looks like Brian in that car scene, that's for sure.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »

It looks interesting but the sound mix on the trailer seems dire to my ears - can't hear either the dialogue or the background music properly. If the film's mixed similarly, I'll just get a headache.

Is there even a slim chance of this getting a UK release though? Probably not (a wardrobe).

“We live in divisive times.”
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 03:15:46 PM »

Looks. Horrible.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »

It looks interesting but the sound mix on the trailer seems dire to my ears - can't hear either the dialogue or the background music properly. If the film's mixed similarly, I'll just get a headache.

Is there even a slim chance of this getting a UK release though? Probably not (a wardrobe).

While it would seem more marketed towards the USA, most blockbusters( how could this nbe anything but) seem to do better overseas

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »

Still, I  can't resist an exploitation movie!

This, absolutely.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »

This looks like a mockumentary more than anything. When 'Brian' is in the car, he looks like his wig is on crooked.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »

He looks like a 44 year-old too.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »

I don't know, modern haircuts aside, it looks like it has potential.  I'm not really one to hold a film's (lack of a) budget against it, so I'm certainly willing to give it a chance.  The acting looks decent enough, and I like the idea of older Dennis telling the story.  Hell, it's only a 90 second trailer so time will tell I guess.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx