-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  *facepalm*
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: *facepalm*  (Read 4790 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »

That is pretty funny. On the other hand, it's not so hard to understand or believe. Some kid born in, say, 2000, raised in a nonmusical or differently musical (non-pop oriented) family could easily not know Sir Paul--by name, anyway. (I doubt there are many who wouldn't recognize some tune or other, omnipresent as they are.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »

You'd think they'd at least know of him from 'New' LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »

Seriously though, it's a decent song, but my God it needs to lose the autotune.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »

I thought the same thing. Since we're not on the main forum I don't worry that there will be a flood of anti-pitch correction hysteria here as I say, this song was a perfect example to me of how as an effect, autotune is used, but not at all to my liking. Very reminiscent of how Justin Vernon ("Bon Iver" frontman/alter ego/whatever) used it on his second album. And of course, Vernon worked with Kanye on some things, so it's not at all surprising to see that. But it is distracting to me, and the kind of thing that I'd wager will eventually date the recording in a very negative way. (My mantra in most things: don't hop too firmly on a trend or the pendulum will swing hard away from you.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »

Makes me wonder how and/or if, Brian and the Boys are known.  I know in my house, my kids can sing along to tons of Beach Boys stuff... but I doubt if they know any Beatles.  Actually, I'm pretty sure they don't.  Granted they're quite young and I almost never play the Beatles.  Nevertheless... they actually LIKE the Beach Boys and request it!

....which brings up a hypothesis of mine, regarding the TROO legacy of the Beatles.  Once the boomers (and their offspring) are gone, and no one is around to provide this incessant fawning over the supposed importance of this band (hee.) -- will the masses be requesting the damn White Album?  Or will they be requesting Surfin' USA?  My hypothesis has always favored the legacy of the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:32:00 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »

I mean seriously... anyone find any comparison between "Let Him Run Wild" and anything the Beatles did?

Hello?  This is still the Sandbox isn't it?  If I can't get some love for bashing the Beatles in the SMilEYSmIlE sandbox forum... then we're all fuked.  Seriously.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »

Most of these people have to be trolling.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »

I mean seriously... anyone find any comparison between "Let Him Run Wild" and anything the Beatles did?
How about this?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »

How about this?

I'm almost surprised at how eagerly I would choose the Beach Boys over the Beatles in every example given. I like what the guy setting up the examples said about WIBN versus "Nowhere Man":
Wouldn't It Be Nice is a masterpiece arrangement, and the bridge is Otherworldly. But I really do like Nowhere Man's folksy feel. So I'll call it a tie
A "folksy feel" is clearly the equivalent to "masterpiece" and "otherworldly".
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »

^
That is me who did those comparisons.

I did not equivocate "masterpiece" with "folksy," I was merely making observations about each song in isolation. Nowhere Man is a masterpiece too, IMO, it's just that I happened to focus on its folksy character when deciding to write what stands out about it.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 06:55:46 PM »

I was just joking about jabbing the Beatles... (cuz it's fun to jab nervous Beatles fans) -- but for me, the Beach Boys are like some sort of massive life, stress relief moment of Zen.  Like a cool drink of water when my throat is parched.  And each time, a massive weight is lifted off my chest, the air draws in easy -- like a cool, crisp gentle breeze... and I can BREATHE... 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: