gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:26:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album project incorrectly described in online article.  (Read 48912 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2015, 06:57:07 AM »

Extract from an email lately arrived in my inbox from Mike's people:

"As for The Beach Boys 2017 album nonsense...the journalist misunderstood Mike.  Mr. Love was referring to the possibility of a solo release not yet confirmed.  The journalist was discussing future endeavors.....Mike simply shared what he has been considering in addition to his book release.  Journalists can be quite ambitious and write what they want to hear as opposed to what they've  heard.  You are welcome to share the truth with those on the Smile board."

So. Sometimes you don't have to ask - you get told.  Grin
Thanks for telling us, Andrew!

Aye indeed, thanks for sharing this which confirms what many correctly supposed.

“We live in divisive times.”
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2015, 07:01:43 AM »

Now, as bgas said, we can close this thread. Billy? Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2015, 07:10:18 AM »

Amazing how a journalist can get it so wrong.

Was Mike speaking french

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2015, 07:16:03 AM »

Just retitle the thread "new Mike Love solo album," as I'm sure there will continue to be plenty to talk about. Two whole years of anticipation! Tantalizing mentions in interviews with the Des Moines Scrutinizer-Picayune! Mock album covers! And so much more.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:31:59 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »

Turn it into a possible Mike Love solo album song titles thread.

That has greatness written all over it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »

Now, as bgas said, we can close this thread. Billy? Smiley

If there are board members who want to discuss this in any way, this is still an open forum which allows that. I don't see any reason to lock this thread as nothing offensive or otherwise has appeared.

Best course of action: If anyone doesn't want to see the thread continue, don't click on the topic and read the replies. But don't shut it down so no one else can post if they want. Threads tend to run their course naturally once everyone has had a say, let this one do that too. That's what an open forum is about.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »

Getting to the point where I'm expecting to say "good morning" only to see the moon come up over the horizon.  Grin

Which is astronomically absolutely possible, actually happens quite often. If you had said "full moon" instead of Just "moon", well, then... Grin

There's many a morning when I wake up, roll over and see a full moon.....

But not coming up over the horizon, rather heading down towards the horizon.

Or what you see through the window is in fact your neighbor showing you where the sun don't shine, which may have been the inspiration for your moniker.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »

What Love & Mercy soundtrack ? Have you seen one ? Has Capitol officially announced it yet ? Have I missed something ? What's the track listing ?

Bit of a given for a musical bio even if not 'official' yet.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

That article was dated nearly four months ago. Since then, the movie has been picked up and no soundtrack has been thus far announced.

Everything about this project is 'pedestrian' considering the movie wrapped almost 2 years prior to a June 5 release.

What Love & Mercy soundtrack ? Have you seen one ? Has Capitol officially announced it yet ? Have I missed something ? What's the track listing ?

Bit of a given for a musical bio even if not 'official' yet.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

That was four months ago, when we still thought No Pier Pressure was coming out in 2014.

Things change. If the solo record is released alongside the movie, as now looks likely, there is no pressing commercial need for a soundtrack. Indeed, it would only compete with BW solo product.

I'd wager a tidy sum that it ain't happening.

I'll take Wirestones wager. $20 donation to the hosting costs of this board in the winners name. What do you say? Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:21 PM »

Andrew, could you tell us why you think a soundtrack is out of the question instead of just insisting there won't be one? After all, they'd have to be brain dead not to ensure they have an accompanying release for the biopic of a musician. It's kind of SOP.

But you seem really sure of it and it's got my eyebrow raised. It's all a bit "hmmm." Sorry for teasing a bit too much earlier, but would you mind letting us know what's behind this feeling of yours? I know a soundtrack is in no way connected to BW's deal with Capitol and up to the producers of the film, so did someone close to the Love camp insist there wouldn't be one or somesuch? A source from the production company who griped about licensing issues? Pressure applied by armed thugs employed by John Stamos who want the market open for his musical's soundtrack and will stop at nothing to prevent yet another compilation of the same few songs plus one by The Sunrays? What gives?

Look at it this way, if it was a Phil Cohen saying there would be no soundtrack to a film like this you'd turn a bit purple before bellowing erudite abuse! So don't be a Cohen. Give us a reason or two. Or three. Or seventeen.

Your request is far politer than I deserve, but you're not going to like the answer, which is no, I can't, for the reasons stated in the "Question re Having Unavailable Content (for Insiders)" thread. Things may change, may have already, but my current understanding is that there won't be a soundtrack album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2015, 03:25:34 PM »

I'll stand by the post above yours AGD. If you have heard on the quiet that a soundtrack is not happening then I guess I could be down $20!!! Grin

Off the top of my head I just can not recall any musical bio not having a soundtrack. Hell...Even the Dewey Cox film had one!

Ray Charles had a new duets album as well as the soundtrack in 2004.

Of course we are talking Brian/ Beach Boys here. Missed opportunities abound.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »

Now that high stakes gambling is at stake, time for some Not Entirely Baseless Speculation Based On Reading Between The Lines! NEBSBORBTL. Ok, so I don't have Andrew's knack for catchy acronyms.

So is Mike Love trying to block a soundtrack release because he thinks the movie makes him out to be a villain instead of barely incorporating him? Or does he feel slighted its not Love and Mercy and Mike? Whatever the motive, it smells like possibly someone has activated the lawyers. You can catch a whiff of their imposing letterheads a mile off. Or did he just make some threatening noises? Like "grrrr" and "I don't think so!" or "no way, you pricks! Your film is a tissue of lies!"

Obviously music licensing issues are a hideous and INCREDIBLY expensive minefield I am nowhere near qualified enough to speculate on with an air of condescension and authority, but I guess maybe if they offer him a bigger slice of the pie he might be benevolent enough to cooperate? The proceeds could help sustain Foskett's chocolate milkshakes for a few months.

I'd be interested to find out if Mike Love has requested and/or received a script or rough cut. No doubt some small newspaper journalists will ask him about the film and will horribly misquote him soon enough.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:47:59 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

Yeah I thought of that but the review by I think schiaffino, who may still be the only poster here who has seen the film, implied Mike was portrayed pretty fairly. Would it be in his best interest to lock out his songs? Heck, he uses them himself night after night indirectly with Brians ok. I'd like to read some proof before this turns into another anti- Mike thread.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2015, 03:45:55 PM »

Yeah, that's why I was curious if he'd seen it or the script. That post didn't make him sound like he was shown badly at all.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:01:31 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »

Another thought. The Beach Boys stuff has been in movies for years. Maybe its the solo work causing problems?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2015, 06:04:31 PM »

Why would Mike Love have sole veto power? I doubt he does. It's a BRI issue. Not to mention an issue of Capitol approving licenses for Beach Boys' material at a reasonable rate vs. predicted sales, especially in an era where people often prefer free listens on Spotify instead of buying.. There's also licensing issues for Brian's solo material labels, as mentioned.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »

Indeed, lots of questions. It would be nice to get some answers!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »

It's common sense.

Capitol would release the soundtrack.

Capitol will release Brian's solo album.

The movie is not the story of the group -- it is the story of Brian.

The movie will be coming out this spring, most likely.

Brian's solo album will also  be coming out this spring, most likely.

What conceivable reason would Capitol have to compete with itself by releasing a soundtrack that sells to the exact same audience as a Brian Wilson solo disc? It would be commercial suicide.

Yes, if Brian's album had come out in November (as seemed to be the plan for a time), it would have made sense to release a soundtrack concurrent with the movie. But now that his record has been delayed, it will be the de facto soundtrack.

What's more, I'll go out on a limb and say that I suspect a NPP track will be played over the credits of L&M, and that the NPP cover sticker will include a big ad for the movie.

(The above is all speculation on my part and not confirmed by any insiders, anonymous or nonymous.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:38:18 PM by Wirestone » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »

The movie comes out this summer tho, doesn't it? The album should be out earlier than that.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »

I haven't seen a release date for the album. If it's released in April or May and the movie goes on limited release before the June wide release date cited by IMDB (if that's even accurate), Brian's promotional duties could cover both projects. He'd be on the late-night shows playing a song from the record and -- hey -- he has a movie coming out too! And he'll be on tour! Watch the movie, see the show, buy the album.

The crossover marketing potential of this seems too great to ignore.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:51:52 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »

They can complement each other too.

Genius Loves Company released (posthumously) August 31 2004. Total 8 Grammy s including album of the year.
Ray soundtrack released October 2004. Grammy for soundtrack of the year.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »

They can complement each other too.

Genius Loves Company released (posthumously) August 31 2004. Total 8 Grammy s including album of the year.
Ray soundtrack released October 2004. Grammy for soundtrack of the year.

Well, Brian isn't dead. That's one difference.

In the case of the albums you mentioned, there were two different labels involved. The soundtrack was on Atlantic/Warner, and the duets record on Concord/Hear. Each company had an incentive to maximize profits by getting the CDs out as soon as possible, given the coverage of Charles's death.

With a single label involved here, I see less reason for simultaneous releases -- or even releases spaced out by a couple of months.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:03:04 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »

Guess we will see come June. Did you see me challenge your wager above Wirestone? Just to make things interesting but in good fun.

I'm still up for it. How about yourself?

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2015, 08:48:13 PM »

Do they even release soundtracks anymore? it seems like I haven't seen a movie soundtrack (with pop/rock songs) in years, and the ones that I have seen have been instrumental scores for high budget movies, I know that soundtracks were huge in the 70's and 80's but I don't think they are that big anymore,,
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »

Do they even release soundtracks anymore? it seems like I haven't seen a movie soundtrack (with pop/rock songs) in years, and the ones that I have seen have been instrumental scores for high budget movies, I know that soundtracks were huge in the 70's and 80's but I don't think they are that big anymore,,

The Guardians of the Galaxy "mix tape" was pretty huge this summer, IIRC.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »

Wonder what rights would have to be negotiated? Brian's released albums on around five labels - Sire, Giant, Disney, Nonesuch and Capitol - and presumably any soundtrack would include material from at least two of those… then there's any Beach Boys stuff to negotiate separately. Could be that Brian (BriMel) owns the rights to much of his solo stuff… dunno.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx