gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:28:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album project incorrectly described in online article.  (Read 48913 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »

The online article was interesting enough that I thought others might enjoy reading it.  That one reason is why it was posted.  I was never reporting it as fact.

If anyone reading this thread receives ESQ in the mail, then you read my recent Q&A with Joe Thomas about the song "Our Special Love" (released by Peter Hollens) which was birthed with The Beach Boys in mind (for a follow-up studio album).

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:40:02 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »

The online article was interesting enough that I thought others might enjoy reading it.  That one reason is why it was posted. 

If anyone reading this thread receives ESQ in the mail, then you read my recent Q&A with Joe Thomas about the song "Our Special Love" (released by Peter Hollens) which was birthed with The Beach Boys in mind (for a follow-up studio album).

Good Explanation!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »

Possible double post

Hi Professor;

I called Brian last night to see if there was really anything to this. He said that he had already gotten a call on it , and told me that neither he , nor Al, knew anything about it. He kind of laughed and said that none of us can cut a record independantly and call it The Beach Boys anyway.
Ray

Thanks so much!

BTW, Ray, could you pleas PM me Brian's number, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shady.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »

If Mike's interview was the source of the confusion, which it indubitably was, and the author wrote the article in all innocence having misunderstood Mike's recording intentions, surely it's on Mike to clear things up? He's on FB often enough I gather, and its not like a new Mike/Bruce album or Mike solo album would be met with total indifference by diehards whatever name it's released under.

Quite honestly the thing that blows my mind, and I hate to be morbid, is why anyone at this stage in their life would say 'oh yeah, I'm making a new album.....but I'm going to wait two years to put it out'.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »

But 2017 will coincide with the movie based on Mikes book from the year before. Wink

Some people just don't get the master plan!

But seriously, Mike mentions Tony Bennett still recording and performing at 80 so 75 should be a cinch.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:42:31 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »

If Mike's interview was the source of the confusion, which it indubitably was, and the author wrote the article in all innocence having misunderstood Mike's recording intentions, surely it's on Mike to clear things up? He's on FB often enough I gather, and its not like a new Mike/Bruce album or Mike solo album would be met with total indifference by diehards whatever name it's released under.

Since AGD seemingly can't reach Mike for a response, it seems clear to me that ESQ EDitor Dave BEard should just call him and ask! He's probably as close/closer to Mike as AGD, plus he's in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »

Since AGD seemingly can't reach Mike for a response, it seems clear to me that ESQ EDitor Dave BEard should just call him and ask! He's probably as close/closer to Mike as AGD, plus he's in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Makes total sense. Especially as David's the OP of the link here, as well as being one of the best connected board members…
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:06:04 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2015, 04:38:20 AM »

Apologies for the absence, the ears have gone again. Joy. In muted tones. DynoRod booked for Thursday pm.

Order of the day #1: evidently my source re: Brian's album contract w/Capitol being a transfer of the original 2-album BB deal in 2011 was, for once for them, inaccurate. What to do ? Simple - man up, admit I was wrong, which I was, and like the conscientious researcher that I also am, adjust my files. Egg on face, Mr. P ?  Hardly. Have you never, ever made a public statement that wasn't, in fact, accurate ? Happened to me before, will happen again. Probably here, probably soon.

Order of the day #2: as I stated before, this is likely the interviewer either mishearing or misunderstanding what Mike said, both about any putative release and the memoir, the title for which is not tentative, btw.* Mike was likely talking about a release of his, which has been considered. David is geographically better placed to pose any questions but, seriously, why bother ?

[* I know - will I never learn ? Ah well, it keeps the trolls amused...  Grin ]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:39:19 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2015, 04:43:06 AM »

I called Brian last night to see if there was really anything to this. He said that he had already gotten a call on it , and told me that neither he , nor Al, knew anything about it. He kind of laughed and said that none of us can cut a record independantly and call it The Beach Boys anyway.
Ray

Well at least I got that fucking part right. Getting to the point where I'm expecting to say "good morning" only to see the moon come up over the horizon.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:44:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »

Possible double post

Hi Professor;

Ray

Thanks so much!

BTW, Ray, could you pleas PM me Brian's number, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shady.

LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »

We should just spread the rumour that a new Beach Boys (with all of the guys of course) album is in the works and will get released. Then we'll update it from time to time with new "infos". In the end they have to do it. Just as Al got the reunion started... Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2015, 10:54:59 AM »

Getting to the point where I'm expecting to say "good morning" only to see the moon come up over the horizon.  Grin

Which is astronomically absolutely possible, actually happens quite often. If you had said "full moon" instead of Just "moon", well, then... Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:12 AM »

Getting to the point where I'm expecting to say "good morning" only to see the moon come up over the horizon.  Grin

Which is astronomically absolutely possible, actually happens quite often. If you had said "full moon" instead of Just "moon", well, then... Grin

There's many a morning when I wake up, roll over and see a full moon.....

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »

What Love & Mercy soundtrack ? Have you seen one ? Has Capitol officially announced it yet ? Have I missed something ? What's the track listing ?

Bit of a given for a musical bio even if not 'official' yet.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:03:19 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2015, 06:41:53 PM »

Mike Love and the Sounds  of Summer ;  Songs of the Beachboys
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2015, 08:38:53 PM »

What Love & Mercy soundtrack ? Have you seen one ? Has Capitol officially announced it yet ? Have I missed something ? What's the track listing ?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

That was four months ago, when we still thought No Pier Pressure was coming out in 2014.

Things change. If the solo record is released alongside the movie, as now looks likely, there is no pressing commercial need for a soundtrack. Indeed, it would only compete with BW solo product.

I'd wager a tidy sum that it ain't happening.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:42:10 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2015, 08:58:56 PM »

Ok Mr Cohen...... LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2015, 10:11:30 PM »

Extract from an email lately arrived in my inbox from Mike's people:

"As for The Beach Boys 2017 album nonsense...the journalist misunderstood Mike.  Mr. Love was referring to the possibility of a solo release not yet confirmed.  The journalist was discussing future endeavors.....Mike simply shared what he has been considering in addition to his book release.  Journalists can be quite ambitious and write what they want to hear as opposed to what they've  heard.  You are welcome to share the truth with those on the Smile board."

So. Sometimes you don't have to ask - you get told.  Grin

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »

Am I the only person here that thinks the possibility of Mike releasing a truly new solo album is slim to none? I just don't see it happening. I highly doubt he's been saving up a bunch of new material since he recorded his last batch of solo tunes. And don't forget, many were re-records....some Beach Boys ("Everyone's in Love with You"), some Celebration ("I Don't Wanna Know"), and some unreleased solo ("Too Cruel", "Daybreak"). Not to mention "A Love Like in Fairytales" which musta been around since '75. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new album from Mike, regardless of where the material comes from, but I just don't see this happening. I don't see him going into the studio with new material, and I also don't see him going in and re-recording old Beach Boys songs again either. He's done that already, and I don't see it happening unless maybe he gets some big name guests to duet.

However, I think it would be sensible for Mike to compile a lot of his best non-Beach Boys work and release that. You know, some of the good stuff from his unreleased solo albums. And also, if they can license them, some songs from Celebration (such as "Almost Summer") and some stuff from Looking Back with Love. And if he needed "Kokomo" on there, use the re-recorded version from Summertime Cruisin'.

Anyways, I see the "solo" anthology as much, much more likely than a new studio album. I just don't see Mike going into the studio again long term unless there was another reunion with Brian.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »

"As for The Beach Boys 2017 album nonsense...the journalist misunderstood Mike.  Mr. Love was referring to the possibility of a solo release not yet confirmed.  The journalist was discussing future endeavors.....Mike simply shared what he has been considering in addition to his book release.  Journalists can be quite ambitious and write what they want to hear as opposed to what they've  heard.  You are welcome to share the truth with those on the Smile board."

So. Sometimes you don't have to ask - you get told.  Grin
Thanks for telling us, Andrew!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2015, 10:45:21 PM »

That article was dated nearly four months ago. Since then, the movie has been picked up and no soundtrack has been thus far announced.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »

Thanks for spreading the word of Love re: the album. I hope they also email that website and tell them to update the story! Without being asked as well. Unless they want this error to stand.

Andrew, could you tell us why you think a soundtrack is out of the question instead of just insisting there won't be one? After all, they'd have to be brain dead not to ensure they have an accompanying release for the biopic of a musician. It's kind of SOP.

But you seem really sure of it and it's got my eyebrow raised. It's all a bit "hmmm." Sorry for teasing a bit too much earlier, but would you mind letting us know what's behind this feeling of yours? I know a soundtrack is in no way connected to BW's deal with Capitol and up to the producers of the film, so did someone close to the Love camp insist there wouldn't be one or somesuch? A source from the production company who griped about licensing issues? Pressure applied by armed thugs employed by John Stamos who want the market open for his musical's soundtrack and will stop at nothing to prevent yet another compilation of the same few songs plus one by The Sunrays? What gives?

Look at it this way, if it was a Phil Cohen saying there would be no soundtrack to a film like this you'd turn a bit purple before bellowing erudite abuse! So don't be a Cohen. Give us a reason or two. Or three. Or seventeen.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:15:01 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »

"As for The Beach Boys 2017 album nonsense...the journalist misunderstood Mike.  Mr. Love was referring to the possibility of a solo release not yet confirmed.  The journalist was discussing future endeavors.....Mike simply shared what he has been considering in addition to his book release.  Journalists can be quite ambitious and write what they want to hear as opposed to what they've  heard.  You are welcome to share the truth with those on the Smile board."

So. Sometimes you don't have to ask - you get told.  Grin

It could be possible that the journalist misunderstood Mike... or perhaps the journalist decided to play dumb and "accidentally" twisted Mike's words up. I mean, if the journalist had properly communicated in the article that Mike was talking about a solo release, I guarantee the article wouldn't have had half the views that it currently has, and there wouldn't be a 7-page thread on here about it. Sensationalism sells, and declaring that there will be a new Beach Boys album in 2017, whilst being quite vague about the details, is definitely sensational. If the article hadn't claimed a new Beach Boys release for 2017, I almost certainly wouldn't have read it, personally. Either way, thanks for sharing your information from Mike's people. Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:28:13 AM by ppk700 » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2015, 05:00:13 AM »

Good.  Thanks Andrew. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx