gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680881 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:19:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album project incorrectly described in online article.  (Read 48931 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 03:44:59 AM »

I never understood what's supposed to be the appeal of a group re-recording their own material. Just pointless.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 03:58:56 AM »

Ahem :

"....the biggest sing-a-long at their shows is “Kokomo” ?
 "...his long standing friendship with George Harrison" ?
"... two of the original members, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston" ?

Not sure about the overall tone of this article...
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 04:26:30 AM »

The article is vague enough. However, an album with old songs was seemingly the original plan for the 2013 album. Not old BB songs, but songs by other artists. During that period Brian mentioned the idea to record Honeycomb.

The only problem with including Brian at this point would be Joe, I think. Those two are heavily involved these days, and it doesn't seem like Mike wants to work with Joe again.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 04:50:03 AM »

No Brian = Not interested

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 05:32:15 AM »

All we need now (in my opinion) is a decent live album from the BB Touring Band. That's the one missing piece of the puzzle.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:38 AM »

It should stay missing. Behind the couch, say.

So what label is this supposed to be on? El Madeup-O-Records?

So why isn't a certain pedant pedantically insisting they can only tour as "The Beach Boys" under the licensing agreement but not release records, then? How curious! Surely he would set Mike Love straight on this fantasy, right?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:57:33 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »

The article is vague enough. However, an album with old songs was seemingly the original plan for the 2013 album. Not old BB songs, but songs by other artists. During that period Brian mentioned the idea to record Honeycomb.

The only problem with including Brian at this point would be Joe, I think. Those two are heavily involved these days, and it doesn't seem like Mike wants to work with Joe again.

I wouldn't mind a 15BO-like album with Brian at the helm. To me, cover songs at this point only make sense if there's something remotely quirky about them. I really enjoyed I'm Into Something Good off the TLOS sessions.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 06:23:41 AM »

Nothing suggests anything but the remaining group and isn't that the original plan for the C50 album.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 06:36:32 AM »

I may need more coffee, but this reads like pie in the sky interview blowharding... the talk of collaborations just sounds like he's jealous of No Pier Pressure and thinks he can do the same. With no label mentioned and all the licensing issues involved, this is going on that huge pile of unreleased and/or unrecorded Mike Love solo albums. If it were true, is this the venue it would be announced in?

Still, at least you guys can now claim Brian blocked a new Beach Boys album whenever someone points a finger at Mike Love for C50 dissolving. Even if we never get a pristine, definitive "Duke of Earl" in 2017. Oh the humanity!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:57:22 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »

On Summer In Paradise Mike Love sang lead...or shared lead on 9 of the 12 songs.  N I N E of 'em.  Carl had 1 lead vocal all to himself.  Carl Wilson?  ONE?  Pulease!!!  Al and Bruce split one.  And some TV guy was allowed to come in and take a GEM and re-do it!!! Shocked!!!

We bore witness to the murder of Surfin', the buriel of Forever, and various degrees of mismanagement and scorn heaped on songs like Hot Fun In The Summertime, Under the Boardwalk, and [although I liked it...I know others didn't] Remember (Walking in the Sand).  

We want more of that?  Does anybody here rank that album as even their 2nd favourite all time Beach Boys album?  3rd?  4th?  10th?   LAST???

I definitely DO NOT want to EVER hear another Beach Boys song...new or formerly released...sung by someone who wasn't a member of the REAL group...  By that I mean the RECORDING GROUP...pre John Stamos.  Not for ANY reason.  It takes the name The Beach Boys and it pisses on it.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh...and I've got my industrial strength umbrella handy for the reign of terror about to descend down upon me...I really didn't [and don't] like Jack Rieley 's voice on A Day in the Life of a Tree either.  I know.  I know.  It was Brian's 'call'.  Even a smart squirrel loses a nut every now and then.  Wink  [and Jack more than made up for it with other positive contributions]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:58:32 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »

It would damage the brand and nobody is going to claim it would make Brian/Al/Carl's estate a "big fat check" either.

I hope Mike Love has the balls to do it under his own name and release it, tho! We'd have a lot of fun talking about it. There wouldn't be any major label interest. Maybe he can do CDRs to sell at his shows. Put it on a USB stick for Club Kokomo!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:52:09 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 06:55:16 AM »

No Brian = Not interested
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 07:00:09 AM »

Love how the idiot says California Dreamin'.... Like that was one of there hits.
Footage of Dennis...?
Lets stop with video of Carl. Getting a bit creepy.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:04:10 AM by lostbeachboy » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 07:26:43 AM »

If I had either a crystal ball, or a wish list, I'd love something else like MIC and you can't get much better than that. Stuff from the vaults and some new stuff. Solo Brian on Surf's Up, the 1972-ish live Rhonda with Dennis on lead, Wild Honey with a Blondie lead, alongside the studio versions, Our Car Club, Sound of Free, SIP (live) Don't Go Near the Water (instrumental) radio spots, etc. A masterwork.

One thing I've learned as a BB fan...never say "never." We've seen SMiLE, C50, so nothing surprises me.

What I'd like to see are a few of Brian's solos, such as Love and Mercy, Lay Down Burden, done by the BB's as well as a few of Mike's such as Cool Head, Warm Heart, Pisces Brothers done with Brian's vocals included, and maybe one or two from Al's Postcard, and stuff  Dave and Bruce has written, and showcase some of the solo work of all of them with BB vocals. This is career reflective and inclusive.  

And for Brian and Mike to "get in the room" and get back to work.  Period. They don't need a chaperone.  They are the Lerner and Loewe, the Sherman Brothers, Menken and Ashman teams of the American rock era.  Tried and true, proven track record and the bike that knows how to be ridden.

JMHO of course  Wink
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:27:52 AM by filledeplage » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »

"California Dreaming"? Really? Maybe he meant "Dreaming Of Some California Girls"?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »

Wouldn't the easiest thing be to post the article on Brian's and Al's facebook pages respectively and then just wait what will happen? I guess at least Brian's people would soon deny if it isn't true

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »

You can anticipate the Professor's comment likely: the bits of BW's album that have been heard are inspiring, wonderful BB-style music, and I will enjoy that album, cherishing the parts that Al and Dave play (if indeed they do). Though vague, what Mike proposes sounds much less inspiring.

All in all, anything called BB without all 5 BB (playing and singing preferably) fails to meet the epic standard of historical urgency.

"The Beach Boys": I have seen and heard them, and so have you. Why is it so hard to be together.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »

A collective deep breath may be in order here.  Smiley

As mentioned already, and multiple times on this board in the past, there are specific conditions in place regarding using the name "Beach Boys" on a new release. If the wording of this article regarding such a new Beach Boys release in 2017 or anytime in the near future would actually happen, it would not agree with those terms and therefore would not be allowed under those terms of the various contracts and agreements regarding what can be released as a "Beach Boys" album. It's as simple as that, and as best as I know is part of the same naming agreements that control the use of the name for live shows. No one can record an album and release it as The Beach Boys without following those agreements, and I believe that also includes who is participating on that album.

And anything like this needs approval from the board members. Right?

So it could very well be a Mike Love solo album, or anything similar, and that would be perfectly fine. But it cannot be called a new Beach Boys project any more than Al or Brian or anyone else related to the band could label their album a Beach Boys album.

Personal opinion after all of that factual stuff (which corrections are welcome as always), if anyone were to release or try to release something as a Beach Boys album without those other conditions in place and without those other members involved and on board with the process, it would be a PR disaster that could alienate more fans than it would appeal to.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »

Maybe this is that Rock n roll album Brian has been wanting to do for awhile but instead of Brian doing it he gave Mike permission to do it.,, LOL
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »

Does anyone have access to legal documents that state that any Beach Boys album must include Brian Wilson and/or Al Jardine? I've read it here, but never saw a citation of an actual legal document. The tour agreement is a separate issue, and at one time, even Al could have used a Beach Boys related name if he had paid the license fee. Perhaps the touring Beach Boys can release an album if there is label interest or if they're willing to finance it themselves. Or if not called "The Beach Boys," they can come up with some wording that mentions the beach and work around it. It sounds like a trial balloon. Maybe Mike is throwing down a challenge to Brian and company and waiting to see what the reaction would be.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »

Yeah, maybe they can use "Beach Boys Family and Friends," right?

Pretty lame trial balloon. What challenge? BW has an album deal with Capitol, Mike Love has hot air in a tiny media outlet I've never heard of. I would imagine the reaction would be along the lines of "bwhahahahha."  

Altho I definitely agree that Mike should definitely put out a solo album and show Brian how it's done! It's not too late to balance the historical scales and become his equal... We all know what a genius Mr. Love is at arranging vocals. Or he can wrap turds like Pisces Brothers around some lame synthy covers of Brian's music I guess. Maybe do a rewrite of Surf's Up and make it accessible and commercial, blow us all away!

Unleash the Love!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:30:18 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »

Yeah, maybe they can use "Beach Boys Family and Friends," right?

Pretty lame trial balloon. What challenge? BW has an album deal with Capitol, Mike Love has hot air in a tiny media outlet I've never heard of. I would imagine the reaction would be along the lines of "bwhahahahha."  

Altho I definitely agree that Mike should definitely put out a solo album and show Brian how it's done! It's not too late to balance the historical scales and become his equal... We all know what a genius Mr. Love is at arranging vocals. Or he can wrap turds like Pisces Brothers around some lame synthy covers of Brian's music I guess. Maybe do a rewrite of Surf's Up and make it accessible and commercial, blow us all away!

Unleash the Love!
w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2015, 11:58:15 AM »

he can wrap turds ... and ... blow us all away!  Thud

LOL  Unleash the love indeed. Computer Smash!

Like I said in a different thread...Mike needs to hire a PR guy/firm/expert in a  big effin' HURRY. Shocked

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 12:03:14 PM »

If ML wants to release a solo album go for it, but this effort will never be viewed as a Beach Boys album. It's more like a Celebration album - covers of old BB songs, some ML originals, guest musicians et c.

- Why call it a BB album? If this is the case, we don't know that yet.
- Why will it take 2 years to complete it?
- Why rerecord old songs? ML has rerecorded BB songs on several occasions before (with Adrian Baker and Dean Torrence for example). What's the satisfaction?
- Is this an attempt to make TWGMTR the second-to-last album and not the very last? Summer's gone will not be the last BB song anymore, but Pisces Brothers or something.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:04:36 PM by The Legendary OMG! Rob! » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »

If they do an album with Chicago,they can call themselves Beachago.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx