gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:16:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album project incorrectly described in online article.  (Read 48861 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2015, 10:40:51 PM »

Now that high stakes gambling is at stake, time for some Not Entirely Baseless Speculation Based On Reading Between The Lines! NEBSBORBTL. Ok, so I don't have Andrew's knack for catchy acronyms.

So is Mike Love trying to block a soundtrack release because he thinks the movie makes him out to be a villain instead of barely incorporating him? Or does he feel slighted its not Love and Mercy and Mike? Whatever the motive, it smells like possibly someone has activated the lawyers. You can catch a whiff of their imposing letterheads a mile off. Or did he just make some threatening noises? Like "grrrr" and "I don't think so!" or "no way, you pricks! Your film is a tissue of lies!"

Obviously music licensing issues are a hideous and INCREDIBLY expensive minefield I am nowhere near qualified enough to speculate on with an air of condescension and authority, but I guess maybe if they offer him a bigger slice of the pie he might be benevolent enough to cooperate? The proceeds could help sustain Foskett's chocolate milkshakes for a few months.

I'd be interested to find out if Mike Love has requested and/or received a script or rough cut. No doubt some small newspaper journalists will ask him about the film and will horribly misquote him soon enough.

Sigh...

They say the leopard never changes its spots, and this post suggests this axiom is indeed true. You immediately assume that Mike is in some way trying to block any theoretical soundtrack, presumably for no better reason than "that's exactly the sort of dastardly thing that he would do". Why Mike ? Why not Alan, Bruce, Carl's estate, David... or even Brian ? Is it not possible, as others have mooted, that he has told Capitol "I don't want my old recordings taking away attention from my new album ?" More likely Capitol have looked into such a project and, for whatever reason, have decided that - currently - for whatever reason, it's not worth the effort.

Someone, somewhere, asked if Mike was going to request to see a pre-publication copy of Brian's book (on which front there has been a resounding silence these last few months... but I'm not assuming any problems: should I ?), which is on a similar level to assuming the scenario outlined above re: Mike & the movie, viz it has no basis in the real, non_BB world and was posited from an anti-Mike stance without continent thought. The historical record shows that the lawsuits invariably result from no prior knowledge.

This blanket assumption that Mike is solely responsible for every bad thing from the original Fall From Grace, through the Fall of the Roman Empire, the Black Death, slavery, the development of nuclear weapons to the rise of Islamic State is certainly convenient, as it requires no coherent thought: it just IS. Actually, I deeply admire such a singularity of thought and execution, monotonous as it is (in the literal sense), but after a while, it really, really grates. The narrowness of outlook, the inadequacy of thought depresses, and lordy, modern life is depressing enough, thank you very much.

May I, in the spirit of Swift, offer A Modest Proposal ? That the rabid Anti-Mike Faction be afforded their own sub-forum for the Express Purpose of providing a Safe Haven in which they may Express their Considered Opinion of him in Safety, free from the fear of Comments that may Upset Their Equilibrium, thus Affording Them Considerable Discomfiture. This refuge will, of course be Only Accessible to Them and  They, in turn will be Confined Therin and thus spare those of Us with a Broader Outlook, their Inchoate Gibberings. I feel this notion has Considerable Inherent Merit.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:41:43 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2015, 10:46:04 PM »

I did say it was speculation, Andrew. I'm sure the truth will come out soon enough despite your not wanting to divulge it.

It would be easier for you to start your own forum to moderate if you're upset with different opinions. Because, yeah - these guys have a long history of feuding and involving lawyers. Pardon me if I think the guy asinine enough to initiate legal action over a free CD in a newspaper is POSSIBLY the most likely candidate to scupper a potential project like this. Character is destiny.

So there are going to be fingers pointed at times like these even if they exasperate you. Stop trying to control the forum, get posters banned, or corral off opinions different from yours to a sub-forum. Use a strong argument and back it up with the facts instead of trying to play moderator. You're not!

Why Mike ? Why not Alan, Bruce, Carl's estate, David... or even Brian ?

Because he's sued repeatedly, has brilliant lawyers, and naturally someone inclined to distrust him might assume so... because they've battled over bad biopics before and money has changed hands before over them. Because it's not likely he'd be too keen on a movie praising BW's role as creator of Pet Sounds and Smile and sidelining his own contributions. Because it might get a rise out of you and shake some crumbs of information out.

Because you clam insider information yet don't have very good information from BW's camp these days... but are in touch with "Love's people." Because Bruce and David have no sway and can you imagine Al Jardine suddenly putting up an argument? When he wants to tour with Brian and calls him a musical Bodhisattva? I think it hardly likely. Carl's Estate? Why wouldn't they want the check? You always go on about how they don't want to stop getting those big fat checks.

Brian? Possible but doubtful. The releases are months apart. Let's see how it shakes out.

I'm open to being completely wrong and often am. I'm not the one presenting myself as some sort of authority and trying to run the board. I was just trying to draw you out and explain exactly why instead of leaving it hanging in the air for months. It's just a little strange for a biopic on a musician not to have a soundtrack and I'm curious as to why. I'm sorry I doubted his motives and slandered the good name of Mike Love in the process. He may be entirely innocent and wholly supportive of Love and Mercy, indeed... looking forward to autographing soundtrack cds and accepting royalties until informed that he wouldn't be able to do that. Darn!

So you're saying Capitol passed on the project then or is that also speculation?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:10:09 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2015, 10:51:19 PM »

May I, in the spirit of Swift, offer A Modest Proposal ? That the rabid Anti-Mike Faction be afforded their own sub-forum for the Express Purpose of providing a Safe Haven in which they may Express their Considered Opinion of him in Safety, free from the fear of Comments that may Upset Their Equilibrium, thus Affording Them Considerable Discomfiture. This refuge will, of course be Only Accessible to Them and  They, in turn will be Confined Therin and thus spare those of Us with a Broader Outlook, their Inchoate Gibberings. I feel this notion has Considerable Inherent Merit.

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but can I sell them Irish babies?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:11:53 PM by XTC is a really good band » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2015, 11:04:12 PM »

Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2015, 11:09:23 PM »

It would be easier for you to start your own forum to moderate if you're upset with different opinions.

It's not the opinions that irk, and frankly, bore, me: opinions are the food and drink of this forum. Rather it's the increasingly tedious mode of expression of said opinions. Problem with a soundtrack ? Gotta be Mike's fault. I expect nothing better from The Gruesome Twosome,(and am never disappointed) but I had you pegged for someone capable of independent thought.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2015, 11:11:40 PM »

I just want to find out what happened here, it seems awfully strange! I mean, really a boneheaded commercial decision. Even if it's a modest arthouse thing, not much outlay = decent profit.

I want a few archival scraps released. Whatever they recorded for the film on a shiny disc or download... It's not too monstrous a motive.

It could very well be the producer bungling things, Lionsgate, Capitol deciding not to do a soundtrack in favor of three more cut-rate Greatest Hits discs... any number of things. I may have cracked some jokes at Mike's expense but I haven't made up my mind before the facts are in. I just cracked jokes! Admittedly to try and draw you out, guilty on that front. I'll shaddup now.

So bring on the facts.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:29:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2015, 01:16:52 AM »

Why does anyone care about a soundtrack album? Is it expected to be a trojan horse for unreleased goodies?

In principle, soundtrack albums for musical biopics seem unnecessary when the artist's music is freely available. It's like making the comic book of the movie of the comic book.

Please delete my account
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2015, 07:16:04 AM »

I did say it was speculation, Andrew. I'm sure the truth will come out soon enough despite your not wanting to divulge it.

It would be easier for you to start your own forum to moderate if you're upset with different opinions. Because, yeah - these guys have a long history of feuding and involving lawyers. Pardon me if I think the guy asinine enough to initiate legal action over a free CD in a newspaper is POSSIBLY the most likely candidate to scupper a potential project like this. Character is destiny.

So there are going to be fingers pointed at times like these even if they exasperate you. Stop trying to control the forum, get posters banned, or corral off opinions different from yours to a sub-forum. Use a strong argument and back it up with the facts instead of trying to play moderator. You're not!

Why Mike ? Why not Alan, Bruce, Carl's estate, David... or even Brian ?

Because he's sued repeatedly, has brilliant lawyers, and naturally someone inclined to distrust him might assume so... because they've battled over bad biopics before and money has changed hands before over them. Because it's not likely he'd be too keen on a movie praising BW's role as creator of Pet Sounds and Smile and sidelining his own contributions. Because it might get a rise out of you and shake some crumbs of information out.

Because you clam insider information yet don't have very good information from BW's camp these days... but are in touch with "Love's people." Because Bruce and David have no sway and can you imagine Al Jardine suddenly putting up an argument? When he wants to tour with Brian and calls him a musical Bodhisattva? I think it hardly likely. Carl's Estate? Why wouldn't they want the check? You always go on about how they don't want to stop getting those big fat checks.

Brian? Possible but doubtful. The releases are months apart. Let's see how it shakes out.

I'm open to being completely wrong and often am. I'm not the one presenting myself as some sort of authority and trying to run the board. I was just trying to draw you out and explain exactly why instead of leaving it hanging in the air for months. It's just a little strange for a biopic on a musician not to have a soundtrack and I'm curious as to why. I'm sorry I doubted his motives and slandered the good name of Mike Love in the process. He may be entirely innocent and wholly supportive of Love and Mercy, indeed... looking forward to autographing soundtrack cds and accepting royalties until informed that he wouldn't be able to do that. Darn!

So you're saying Capitol passed on the project then or is that also speculation?
Great post as always but you're wasting precious time trying to reason with the anointed one.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2015, 07:33:07 AM »

Now back to... Mike's solo album! Paging Judd for potential album covers...

I smell a MASTERPIECE
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:34:22 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »

I still think "10,000 Years" has major hit potential. I figure you get Charli XCX on the chorus and Daft Punk to help produce it and it's bound to top the charts.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »

An earlier post outlined what music was in the film. Virtually no BW solo stuff was included. It was just a bunch of BB material, some in alternate mixes, some sung by actors in the film. I'd guess there's some underscoring, too.

It frankly seems like it would be an incredibly inessential release. I mean, how many people rushed out to buy the "Across the Universe" soundtrack?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:23:55 AM by Wirestone » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »

It would be easier for you to start your own forum to moderate if you're upset with different opinions.

It's not the opinions that irk, and frankly, bore, me: opinions are the food and drink of this forum. Rather it's the increasingly tedious mode of expression of said opinions. Problem with a soundtrack ? Gotta be Mike's fault. I expect nothing better from The Gruesome Twosome,(and am never disappointed) but I had you pegged for someone capable of independent thought.

Oh no...we are boring the windbag.  Only Andrew "Cliff Claven" Doe's misguided opinions are interesting.
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »

It frankly seems like it would be an incredibly inessential release. I mean, how many people rushed out to buy the "Across the Universe" soundtrack?

Sadly, a lot of people.

From Wikipedia: "From October 15–17, 2007, and again from October 22–23, 2007, the 31-track deluxe edition was the #1 downloaded album on iTunes."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »

Sadly, a lot of people.

From Wikipedia: "From October 15–17, 2007, and again from October 22–23, 2007, the 31-track deluxe edition was the #1 downloaded album on iTunes."

Actually, I bought it too. And it was awful.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »

If the soundtrack largely consists of Beach Boys songs and then a few with the actors voices dubbed on top of them, I see no point in releasing a soundtrack album unless someone's a major Paul Dano fanatic and wants to hear him sing Beach Boys songs (not me, thank you very much. In the context of the film, sure but I want to hear Beach Boys sing Beach Boys). 

And there are loads of music bio-pics that don't have accompanying soundtrack albums (unless Mike Love secretly stopped all of those from coming out too!  Roll Eyes ) Then again, if the release date is June 2015, that might be far enough away from Brian's NPP CD for Capitol to cobble something together.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2015, 05:09:16 PM »

Oh no...we are boring the windbag.  Only Andrew "Cliff Claven" Doe's misguided opinions are interesting.
High Five Rock! Love Happy Dance w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up laugh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure Mike has zero problems with the Love & Mercy project since he allowed them to use his name in the title.

Source: I'm a bit of a Beach Boys expert
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »

His original beard as featured on the "Pet Sounds" album cover was painstakingly implanted into the actor's face as well for maximum realism during those scenes. It's marvelous technology.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »

If the soundtrack largely consists of Beach Boys songs and then a few with the actors voices dubbed on top of them, I see no point in releasing a soundtrack album unless someone's a major Paul Dano fanatic and wants to hear him sing Beach Boys songs (not me, thank you very much. In the context of the film, sure but I want to hear Beach Boys sing Beach Boys). 

The Jersey Boys soundtrack was kind of like that, a mixture of original Four Seasons tracks and cast recordings and sometimes a mashup of the two (which at some points was actually pretty cool).

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:02 AM »

And there are loads of music bio-pics that don't have accompanying soundtrack albums (unless Mike Love secretly stopped all of those from coming out too!  Roll Eyes ) Then again, if the release date is June 2015, that might be far enough away from Brian's NPP CD for Capitol to cobble something together.

Mike put a stop to June this year so there would no chance of the film's soundtrack coming out.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure Mike has zero problems with the Love & Mercy project since he allowed them to use his name in the title.

Source: I'm a bit of a Beach Boys expert

LOL
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2015, 06:13:04 AM »

As somewhat of a completist I would love a soundtrack from this movie. If Paul Dano does a great job at nailing Surf's Up why not make it available? You don't have to be a Paul Dano fanatic to appreciate a beautiful sounding song (not saying it will be, but there is the possibility - Joaquin Phoenix nailed the sound of Johnny Cash, proving that miracles can happen Grin). Besides, this is a band that has put out a new compilation of the same songs nearly every year since 1990....putting out a compilation of both Beach Boys originals, Brian Wilson solos, and a few of Dano singing would be a nice change.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2015, 06:40:16 AM »

I think it'd be interesting to speculate on a Mike & Friends album. Here's my imagining:

1. 10,000 Years Ago, ft. Charli XCX & Daft Punk
Beatles Trilogy
2. Thank You/Spiritual, ft. Paul McCartney
3. Pisces Brothers, ft. Dhani Harrison
4. Back in the USSR, ft. John Stamos
End Trilogy
5. Cool Head, Warm Heart, ft. children of Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Carl Wilson
6. Unleash the Love, ft. Bruno Mars
7. Kokomo, ft. Vampire Weekend, Carson Daly's Mom
8. Love Foundation
9. Glow Crescent Glow, ft. Sam Smith
10. Foskett's Back
11. Everyone's In Love With You, ft. Mormon Tabernacle Choir
12. Only One Word, ft. John Frusciante
13.  Kokomo (Redux)
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »

I like Mr. C's idea...very much.

Might I suggest adding some other-song fragments to some of the
fades of songs?  (Like a Phil Spector Christmas album)

For example, that final Kokomo could fade into a distant, ghostly
 "There's a riot goin' on..." 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx