gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:33:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell YOUR Story. What was THE BEST Beach Boys related concert YOU Ever Attended  (Read 16267 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 10:34:45 AM »

No contest--C50 at the Hollywood Bowl June 2, 2012.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »

ALL of the 70's concerts were the best for me. Especially Beachago in 1975.

Winterland, San Francisco: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 18, 1973). First Beach Boys concert.

Sacramento Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 21, 1973)  Still have my concert poster for this one.

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (June 8, 1974).

Day On The Green #2 & 3, Oakland: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young (July 13 & 14, 1974) (Still have my big yellow poster for this).  Ontario Motor speedway with The Boys was scheduled for August 3, 1974 - bought some drinking glasses with the BB logo on them commemorating the event that was eventually cancelled.

National Exhibition Hall, Sacramento: Beach Boys, Dec. 21, 1974

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Chicago, The Beach Boys, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Bob Seger (May 24, 1975). (Still have my poster and concert booklet for this). One of my all time favorites.

Day On The Green #5, Oakland: The Beach Boys, America, Elvin Bishop, John Sebastian, Eureka. (July 2, 1976) Brian's back. Still have my concert booklet for this.

Cow Palace, San Francisco: The Beach Boys, (December 28, 1977)

Day On The Green #1: The Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Elvin Bishop, Norton Buffalo (May 28, 1978).

1980's were a blur.

Candlestick Park, San Francisco 1983 or 1984. Sacramento State Fair and a couple of concerts at the Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA.

Old Waldorf, San Francisco CA. Carl Wilson solo show in 1981. First show, met with Carl between shows and stayed for part of the second.

1990's

Concord Pavilion - two or three Beach Boys concerts early to mid- 1990's. Concord Pavilion, Concord CA. Last time I saw the Beach Boys before Carl died.

2,000's - pretty much all of Brian's solo shows (including Paul Simon Tour, Pet Sounds (w/Al & Ricky) & Smile and TLOS) in the Bay Area up until two years ago.

Two Al shows - one at Great America Santa Clara and one at Big Sur. And a brief one in Berkeley.

C50 concert, Beach Boys in Berkeley, CA., June, 2012.

Mikie, I knew you were at the 83 or 84 Candlestick, and '78 Day on the Green (not their best) that I my wife and attended, but was that Sacramento show the one at Cal Expo in '83?  Seems like Pablo Cruise opened?  Sounds like we were both at the Old Waldorf the same night too on Fisherman's Wharf for Carl as well. That was a nice show. Up close and personal. Wish I had some pictures from that one (or our ticket stubs we forgot on the table). Did you see them at Shoreline in '86?  That was OK but of course no Brian.

Hi, Norm. No, I wasn't at the Cal Expo show in 1983, but I was there for one of the Beach Boys shows between 1985 and 1987. There was another show in Sacramento that I attended (in addition to the late '73 and '74 shows) at Hughes Stadium in Sacramento. I don't even remember what year that was.

As far as the Carl Wilson show at the Old Waldorf. I was sitting at a table right near the stage. When Carl talked about his new album in between playing songs, I reached over and handed him my copy of the album for him to hold up for the audience.  With a big grin he gave me back the album and told me, "Your 5 bucks is in the mail". I later caught him near his dressing room in between shows, asked him to autograph the album, and I told him I loved his solo music and the songs he wrote for the "Keepin' The Summer Alive" album (he really appreciated that). I shook his hand, and he said, "Thank you very much". Guy couldn't have been more humble and gracious.

Hah! That was you! Les Chan was there as well, although I did not know him at the time. Yeah, I guess Carl was quite a guy.

Les was a real super-fan and didn't miss much. He knew pretty much everyone in the Beach Boys Bay Area fan community (and beyond) and many had their picture taken with him. I'm not sure he EVER missed a show, whether it be The Beach Boys or a solo show. If I'm not mistaken, his first show was December 20, 1974 at the Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. I still have a message from him in my Facebook asking me if I was going to make the BB C50 concert in Tahoe in July 2012. I didn't read it until he passed away 5 months later!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:19:44 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »

No doubt for me it was the Smile concert I saw Brian do in Boston MA. I absolutely loved the opening set with the various songs like Hawaii and Time To Get Alone, and of course I was in awe when they performed the Smile album. I had great seats and could see the entire band just fine. I loved the Mrs. O'Leary's Cow part of the concert when the musicians wore their fire helmets and were surrounded by the wavy orange flames. Yup, gotta say it was my favorite Beach Boys related concert I ever saw. Now if the question was "What Was The Best Beach Boys (not solo) Concert You Ever Attended" I'd say it was my first ever Beach Boys concert back in 1993. No Brian there, but we still had Carl. And Al of course. Since then I've seen probably twenty more Beach Boys related concerts and have enjoyed every single one of them. The next show I'm going to will be April 17 in Linclon RI. Mike & Bruce at Twin River.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »

Mississippi River Fest, Edwardsville, IL - Sunday, August 21, 1977

Before the show in conversation with group who came two weeks earlier to see Jackson Browne, who recorded his show for his upcoming Running on Empty LP.  I think the "Rosie" song was recorded in his Edwardsville hotel room.

Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al Present.  Ricci Martin was the opening act.  Sailboat set was gone but massive risers, full horn line, Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, Carli, Bobby Figueroa, the classic 70s band.  Charles Lloyd also present.

Big sound that night.  Brian was the most animated I have ever seen him.  He was constantly riffing on piano, enthusiastic, shout outs to the audience, vocal riffs.  Great stuff.

CALIFORNIA GIRLS
--Began with Brian riffing on piano for about thirty seconds, then singing a sort of soul bit along with the opening fanfare ("whoah, whoah woah, oh, yeah...")

DARLIN'

SLOOP JOHN B
--Mike formally introduces Brian as the "...musical sage of the age, the musical genius of ever..."  Brian almost shouts the lead vocal throughout ("We COME on the Sloop John B-E-E-E-E-E!)

LITTLE DEUCE COUPE

IN MY ROOM
--Dennis out front for this.

SAIL ON SAILOR
--Billy Hinsche

CALIFORNIA SAGA: CALIFORNIA

GOD ONLY KNOWS
--Mike:  "Written in some twenty minutes, they say..."

AIRPLANE
--Great live version with brass and jazz flute from Charles.  And stellar call and response from Carl and Brian on the tag.

At this point, Brian straps on a bass and moves to the center as Dennis punches up the drums

BACK HOME
--Rousing version

SURFER GIRL
--Sung by Brian in weak but in key falsetto.

LADY LYNDA
--Dennis introduces this song as " a new one from Al - which is why I don't play on it!"  Good natured tweak from Dennis, who then runs off the stage.

CATCH A WAVE
--Much time spend on tune-up and a slight sound buzz.  In voices dripping with sarcasm, Carl  and Mike thank the local sound guys for "... the buzz."  Mike talks about a package tour and a Hollywood Bowl show with Dino, Desi & Billy and again introduces Billy.  Some talk about Dennis' new album, then Brian back on piano, Dennis back on drums and the band finally kicks in for a great version with the brass line handling the organ parts at the end of each chorus.

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL
--Mike calls for a note from Brian, who provides.  Then Brian sings harmony with Mike on the entire vocal intro to the song ("When some loud braggart...")  Big audience response.

HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY
--Great drums... Al shares the lead vocal with Billy.  Brass really adds to the LOVE YOU tracks.

IT'S OK
--Gets the audience to their feet and then entr'acte

INTERMISSION

LOVE IS A WOMAN
--Mike sang this while sitting on Brian's piano, as I recall.

EVERYONE'S IN LOVE WITH YOU
--begins with a TM lecture from Mike

ALL THIS IS THAT
--faultless

FEEL FLOWS
--Very jazzy, even more than the album.  Great vocal from Carl and flute solo from Charles.  Crowd now restless.

HEROES & VILLAINS
--Dennis comes out front as Bobby starts the drum beat.  Dennis intros everyone from the stage... "Mike Love... Al Jardine... Carl Wilson..." etc.  and then it begins.  The home stretch, as they used to call it in those days.

HELP ME RHONDA
--Dennis on piano... the best 1970s "fanfare" intro I've heard, causing the song to literally explode into action after that last sustained brass intro note.

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
--Dennis and Bobby dueling drums & timpani on the prelude to the song's tag.

I GET AROUND
--Crowd now, literally in hysteria, manic.

GOOD VIBRATIONS
--Brian revs up the crowd..."OK, now this is our big one, our REALLY BIG ONE!  It went all the way to number 1!"  So sing along!"

SURFIN' USA

ENCORE

YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL
--Dennis nails it as girls scream, then "Ladies and gentlemen... the Beach Boys..."

BARBARA ANN
ROCK & ROLL MUSIC
FUN FUN FUN
--Literally an audience frenzy... these play like one long song, with the falsetto ending playing out over the park.

A great night... thankfully, still have a recording of this show (sans All This is That, due to tape damage on the original cassette).

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 01:43:18 PM »

Before the show in conversation with group who came two weeks earlier to see Jackson Browne, who recorded his show for his upcoming Running on Empty LP.  I think the "Rosie" song was recorded in his Edwardsville hotel room.

Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al Present.  Ricci Martin was the opening act.  Sailboat set was gone but massive risers, full horn line, Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, Carli, Bobby Figueroa, the classic 70s band.  Charles Lloyd also present.

Big sound that night.  Brian was the most animated I have ever seen him.  He was constantly riffing on piano, enthusiastic, shout outs to the audience, vocal riffs.  Great stuff.
>>>>

A great night... thankfully, still have a recording of this show (sans All This is That, due to tape damage on the original cassette).

Ahhh, I was about to say I'm amazed at your memory, but having the tape...   
Fairly certain I saw this show also; think it was afterwards, at Brian's hotel, that I asked him to sign my copy of "Child Of Winter". ( he signed the plain sleeve instead, Oh well! ) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »

<<Ahhh, I was about to say I'm amazed at your memory, but having the tape...   
Fairly certain I saw this show also; think it was afterwards, at Brian's hotel>>

Do you remember how animated Brian was at that show?  A friend of mine saw the show the night before in Louisville, KY, and said Brian was really lackluster.  Hit and miss in those days.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »

<<Ahhh, I was about to say I'm amazed at your memory, but having the tape...   
Fairly certain I saw this show also; think it was afterwards, at Brian's hotel>>

Do you remember how animated Brian was at that show?  A friend of mine saw the show the night before in Louisville, KY, and said Brian was really lackluster.  Hit and miss in those days.

If it's not collecting-related, I have trouble remembering last week

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »

Saw The Beach Boys and Brian's band many, many times since the 70's, but the top three concerts:

1. September 24, 1971, Carnegie Hall, 7:30 p.m. show. First time I saw the group was also the classiest and most exciting.

2. Smile live concert for the DVD, 9/26/2004, Burbank, CA: Spent five days shooting all of the rehearsals, watched all (if memory serves) of Pet Sounds rehearsed by Brian and the band in a practice room for newest member Nelson to learn, with about three or four other people in the room. Like having a private screening. Then two consecutive shows for taping for an audience of about 200 people, sitting right behind Melinda and the kids and right in front of Van Dyke and Sally Parks. Brian knocked it out of the park, and my life with this music came full circle.

3. C50 at Red Rocks, meet and greet, second row soundcheck, and 8th row center seats for the concert. The most flat out enjoyable evening of live music I've ever experienced.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »

I wrote this a while ago about the Groningen BW concert I attended: http://locusceruleus.tumblr.com/post/96952332293/brian-wilson
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:13:24 PM by elnombre » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »

C50 Tour, Wembley Arena.

Greatest night of my life.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »

The best was probably the first...June 20, 1978 at The Spectrum in Philadelphia. Brian, Dennis, Carl, Al, and Mike. Brian looked great, blue Adidas sweat suit and brown Fender bass for a lot of the show. He actually played a song on the bass with a lit cigarette between his right fingers. For one song he sat down with the bass on a speaker or something. We were about 25 feet from the stage, standing on the floor; in those days you could do that, but it was scary when the show started and people compacted. The beach balls that were flying around had some altered titles written on them- Good Vibrators, Little Douche Coupe, Fu--, Fu--, Fu--. etc. We weren't in Kansas anymore. The crowd was nuts; dancing, clapping, singing, sweating. For the encores, Karen Lamm-Wilson came onstage and sang backup vocals; I don't think many were actually LISTENING TO HER! They played "Peggy Sue" that night and it rocked. But, honestly, they sang poorly for much of the concert. The sloppiness was noticeable and, frankly, disappointing. I had no idea they sounded like that live. Who knew that in a few months Brian's life would change considerably. But - BUT - that concert was and is STILL one of the greatest thrills of my life.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:24:22 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

CALIFORNIA GIRLS
--Began with Brian riffing on piano for about thirty seconds, then singing a sort of soul bit along with the opening fanfare ("whoah, whoah woah, oh, yeah...")

DARLIN'

SLOOP JOHN B
--Mike formally introduces Brian as the "...musical sage of the age, the musical genius of ever..."  Brian almost shouts the lead vocal throughout ("We COME on the Sloop John B-E-E-E-E-E!)

LITTLE DEUCE COUPE

IN MY ROOM
--Dennis out front for this.

SAIL ON SAILOR
--Billy Hinsche

CALIFORNIA SAGA: CALIFORNIA

GOD ONLY KNOWS
--Mike:  "Written in some twenty minutes, they say..."

AIRPLANE
--Great live version with brass and jazz flute from Charles.  And stellar call and response from Carl and Brian on the tag.

At this point, Brian straps on a bass and moves to the center as Dennis punches up the drums

BACK HOME
--Rousing version

SURFER GIRL
--Sung by Brian in weak but in key falsetto.

LADY LYNDA
--Dennis introduces this song as " a new one from Al - which is why I don't play on it!"  Good natured tweak from Dennis, who then runs off the stage.

CATCH A WAVE
--Much time spend on tune-up and a slight sound buzz.  In voices dripping with sarcasm, Carl  and Mike thank the local sound guys for "... the buzz."  Mike talks about a package tour and a Hollywood Bowl show with Dino, Desi & Billy and again introduces Billy.  Some talk about Dennis' new album, then Brian back on piano, Dennis back on drums and the band finally kicks in for a great version with the brass line handling the organ parts at the end of each chorus.

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL
--Mike calls for a note from Brian, who provides.  Then Brian sings harmony with Mike on the entire vocal intro to the song ("When some loud braggart...")  Big audience response.

HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY
--Great drums... Al shares the lead vocal with Billy.  Brass really adds to the LOVE YOU tracks.

IT'S OK
--Gets the audience to their feet and then entr'acte

INTERMISSION

LOVE IS A WOMAN
--Mike sang this while sitting on Brian's piano, as I recall.

EVERYONE'S IN LOVE WITH YOU
--begins with a TM lecture from Mike

ALL THIS IS THAT
--faultless

FEEL FLOWS
--Very jazzy, even more than the album.  Great vocal from Carl and flute solo from Charles.  Crowd now restless.

HEROES & VILLAINS
--Dennis comes out front as Bobby starts the drum beat.  Dennis intros everyone from the stage... "Mike Love... Al Jardine... Carl Wilson..." etc.  and then it begins.  The home stretch, as they used to call it in those days.

HELP ME RHONDA
--Dennis on piano... the best 1970s "fanfare" intro I've heard, causing the song to literally explode into action after that last sustained brass intro note.

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
--Dennis and Bobby dueling drums & timpani on the prelude to the song's tag.

I GET AROUND
--Crowd now, literally in hysteria, manic.

GOOD VIBRATIONS
--Brian revs up the crowd..."OK, now this is our big one, our REALLY BIG ONE!  It went all the way to number 1!"  So sing along!"

SURFIN' USA

ENCORE

YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL
--Dennis nails it as girls scream, then "Ladies and gentlemen... the Beach Boys..."

BARBARA ANN
ROCK & ROLL MUSIC
FUN FUN FUN
--Literally an audience frenzy... these play like one long song, with the falsetto ending playing out over the park.

Sounds damn near perfect.
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »

I first saw The Beach Boys in 1985 as a wee lad of 14 at the National Scout Jamboree in Virginia. Less than two weeks removed from Live Aid, they did not (according to one who knows) have Brian in the line-up. Alas, I was too young and too casual of a fan at the time to notice for myself or to recall clearly today.  Playing in front of crowd of Boy Scouts, the band got its biggest reaction with "California Girls", recognized by all as a David Lee Roth song.  The only other song I was familiar with at the time was Good Vibrations, thanks to the recent Sunkist campaign. But I came away from that concert excited by the music and eager to learn more. By the time Kokomo hit three years later, I was firmly a fan, albeit one that had not bothered to dig deeper than the pre-'66 hits.

I saw them again in 1995 at Callaway Gardens on May 21. (The Bellagio site has it misspelled as Calloway). Carl was in fine shape and I'm so glad I saw him at this time. They had Matt in the line-up, a ringer they brought in to rap Wipeout and a parade of dancers for California Girls. I had at this point become a solid fan and had actively sought out this show and made my girlfriend go with me.... but I still hadn't discovered the deep catalog. In fact, it was just around this time that I bought the "Good Vibrations: 20 Greatest Hits" CD and discovered for the first time Shut Down, Sloop John B, Dance Dance Dance and Do You Wanna Dance.  I loved the show, but I clearly had a lot ahead of me to learn.

May 14, 1999 I saw the post-Carl, post-Al Beach Boys, with David, in Birmingham. Not much changed me as a fan, but the crowd was awesome that night and I remember being so pleased that there were that many other fans besides me that appreciated these songs.

It all changed for me on a July night in 2000 in Birmingham, Alabama. The Pet Sounds Tour came to town and I was front and center. I had a copy of the album on CD but had been unimpressed and didn't listen to it much. But that night... I got it. It all clicked for me. I was mesmerized. And not just by Taylor Mills. I felt so fortunate that even though I wasn't born until 1971, here I was able to enjoy hearing Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds. After this show, my serious fandom began and I set out on a journey of discovery as I began buying up all the studio album 2-fers.

But none of those compare to the October 2004 SMILE concert in Atlanta or the April 2012 C50 show at the same venue (Chastain Park). Hard to pick between those two. I think Brian was at his best in 2004. That night was amazing. The crowd was great, the set list was great, Brian sounded strong, the band was unbelievable. I had just bought BWPS and was just hearing some of the material (I did have the GV box set). But I was fully aware of Brian's story at this point and fully aware of SMILE and I knew exactly how amazing it was, how fortunate I was, that I had actually lived to see this show.  Beach Boys history was still being written and I was able, despite my relative youth, to witness some of it.

THIS was a GREAT show!!  And I gained added perspective on it when Brian came back through Atlanta in August of 2011 for a Greatest Hits show. A fraction of the crowd, BW visibly more frail and disinterested, and an unimaginative setlist. I enjoyed myself (H&V was a highlight, as was Darian's Darlin), but it felt flat compared to BWPS.

But then C50... wow. THIS is how a BB show is supposed to sound. I was a fully informed serious fan and lover of the deep catalog at this point and I just couldn't believe we had Mike and Brian on the same stage. That Brian was touring with the BBs. That David was there TEARING IT UP on guitar. And what a supporting band. And DENNIS (sort of). Never had a chance to see him.

Long answer I know, but: even though Brian gave a better performance in 2004 and obviously had a set list that serious fans would love, the best experience for me was C50. Brian, Mike, Al, David and Bruce. Together. Impeccable band. Two long sets. (Probably) once in a lifetime opportunity.

So glad I went.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 08:33:09 PM »

I first saw The Beach Boys in 1985 as a wee lad of 14 at the National Scout Jamboree in Virginia.

OK, I'm jealous. All my great years in Scouting in the '60's, I never got to attend a national jamboree.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »

I first saw The Beach Boys in 1985 as a wee lad of 14 at the National Scout Jamboree in Virginia.

OK, I'm jealous. All my great years in Scouting in the '60's, I never got to attend a national jamboree.

It's not too late!!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »

No doubt for me it was the Smile concert I saw Brian do in Boston MA. I absolutely loved the opening set with the various songs like Hawaii and Time To Get Alone, and of course I was in awe when they performed the Smile album. I had great seats and could see the entire band just fine. I loved the Mrs. O'Leary's Cow part of the concert when the musicians wore their fire helmets and were surrounded by the wavy orange flames. Yup, gotta say it was my favorite Beach Boys related concert I ever saw. Now if the question was "What Was The Best Beach Boys (not solo) Concert You Ever Attended" I'd say it was my first ever Beach Boys concert back in 1993. No Brian there, but we still had Carl. And Al of course. Since then I've seen probably twenty more Beach Boys related concerts and have enjoyed every single one of them. The next show I'm going to will be April 17 in Linclon RI. Mike & Bruce at Twin River.

Very cool, another fan who saw Smile at the Orpheum! I wrote earlier about God Only Knows, was curious if your memories were similar to my experience that night.

Did you happen to catch the show Brian did at Symphony Hall in 1999? If not for the Smile concert, I'd have listed that show because it was early in that tour and seeing Brian perform a full show live was something at that time I never thought I'd be able to do. The Pet Sounds material that night floored me. Had seats in the first balcony right above the stage, could see and hear everything. Great night.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »

September 24, 1971, Carnegie Hall, 7:30 p.m. show. First time I saw the group was also the classiest and most exciting.

Now that's one concert I'd like to have been at!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 11:19:25 PM »

Brian doing the Pet Sounds show in Glasgow - his first concert appearance in the UK for many years. Barely reported in the UK press, if I remember correctly, because he hadn't played London yet and those were the shows the media were attending. Great night, but Smile in Newcastle was even better - though ignored by the shitty local press which only does culture if it's at the bottom of a can of sh*t lager or has tits on it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:59:11 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2015, 04:30:05 AM »

I wrote this a while ago about the Groningen BW concert I attended: http://locusceruleus.tumblr.com/post/96952332293/brian-wilson

Really nice. I was there as well. I remember being so disappointed when Al stepped out on the European tour at the last moment. But having Billy Hinsche there instead was good enough for me. Can't remember you dancing up front though, guess I was paying all my attention to the music  Smiley
You were probably one of the first to enter the hall, as I remember the chairs not being numbered, so it was first come first serve. And I assume you bought Taylor's (at the time) new CD as well when you talked with her?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 04:50:18 AM »

Brian doing the Pet Sounds show in Glasgow - his first concert appearance in the UK for many years. Barely reported in the UK press, if I remember correctly, because he hadn't played London yet and those were the shows the media were attending. Great night, but Smile in Newcastle was even better - though ignored by the shitty local press which only does culture if i's at the bottom of a can or has tits on it.

Ah, SMiLE Newcastle, March 6th 2004. Magical ! And probably my favorite show BW show I attended (although Pet Sounds Hamburg 2002 comses close, as it was my very first BW concert ever). Being a guest at JP and being present at the pre-SMiLE party in the Pet Sounds shop, talking with some of the band members there, hearing SMiLE life for the first time, sitting next to a fan who promised me an audio copy if I didn't clap too loud (we both kept our word  Grin ), it was all great. The setlist was a bit shorter compared with other ones as BW was a bit sick that day. I remember Jeff fosket getting a call and suddenly leaving the SMiLE party. And the guards at the Newcastle City Hall were a pain. A very tense atmosphere, especially afterwards. I was backstage waiting for a short talk and autograph from the man. But halfway the session, clearly still not feeling well, and combined with the 'bad vibrations', he suddenly decided to leave. Bit of a disappointment for me personally, but understandable in those circumstances. It still was a fantastic experience. Unbelievable this was almost 11 years ago. Time flies.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »

<<I saw them again in 1995 at Callaway Gardens on May 21...a ringer they brought in to rap Wipeout >>

That "ringer" was Billy Hinsche, Uncle to Carl's son, former member of Dino, Desi and Billy, touring member of the Beach Boys band for decades, whose work with the Beach Boys dates back to the 1965 harmonica solo on Mountain of Love from the Party Album.

And a fine rapper, I might add.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2015, 07:47:05 AM »

http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/Phil_Solomon/media/Fillmore.jpg.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:02:42 AM by PS » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »

September 24, 1971, Carnegie Hall, 7:30 p.m. show. First time I saw the group was also the classiest and most exciting.

I have been trying to insert a Fillmore program that has an ad for the Carnegie show to no avail...

A quick refresher on how to insert images? Do they have to reside in a URL address that you then place between the img brackets - or can you just upload a jpg from your desktop directly?
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 08:13:22 AM »

Very cool, another fan who saw Smile at the Orpheum! I wrote earlier about God Only Knows, was curious if your memories were similar to my experience that night.

Did you happen to catch the show Brian did at Symphony Hall in 1999? If not for the Smile concert, I'd have listed that show because it was early in that tour and seeing Brian perform a full show live was something at that time I never thought I'd be able to do. The Pet Sounds material that night floored me. Had seats in the first balcony right above the stage, could see and hear everything. Great night.

Unfortunately I didn't catch the Symphony Hall show in 1999. Would've loved it for sure!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2015, 08:22:15 AM »

I have been trying to insert a Fillmore program that has an ad for the Carnegie show to no avail...

A quick refresher on how to insert images? Do they have to reside in a URL address that you then place between the img brackets - or can you just upload a jpg from your desktop directly?

You just have to enclose the URL of the photo with these: "[ img ] [ /img ]" (excluding the extra spaces)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:25:09 AM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx