gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:12:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell YOUR Story. What was THE BEST Beach Boys related concert YOU Ever Attended  (Read 16206 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »

I get to start...well...just 'cause... Cool Guy

There have been a bunch of really, Really GREAT shows.  Getting to MC several over the years in and around Toronto, circa '83-'93, was a HUGE thrill...but they don't qualify.  It ain't all about me.  The early 70s show where I accompanied Carl back to their Toronto lodgings for lunch and a chat was a GIGANTIC thrill.  I'll never-ever forget it.  THE highlight of my young life...by light years.  The box-set tour in the early 90s [because the venues were so SMALL and intimate that they could actually hear one another sing and as such the level of the performances were elevated BIG TIME] in Toronto's accoustically perfect Massey Hall ranks right up there...almost at the very top.  It is certainly the 2nd best concert I've ever been lucky enough to attend.  But there is one more that stands head and shoulders beyond the rest.  It will likely be the pinnacle for what's left of the rest of my life.

[Granted I did NOT get to attend a 50th Anniversary concert...so my view-point is, at the very least, incomplete.]

No...for me the head and shoulders winner was the Smile [BWPS] concert at the previously mentioned, accoustically perfect Massey Hall in Toronto. Cool Guy  It was the concert that was NEVER-EVER going to happen.  Not a snowball's chance in hades that THAT would even BECOME a possibility.  ZERO likelihood.  A pipe dream.  Forget it.

Yet, On October 6, 2004...I arrived at Massey Hall to pick up *MY* tickets for the concert that would NEVER occur.  I had ordered them on-line.  Decent seats.  But for SOME inexplicable reason they were just not available when I arrived at the will-call window.  Really?!?!?!?  Some glitch in 'the machine' had robbed me of my seating.  Shocked   Oh "sh*t-on-a-stick"!!!  Don't panic.  How will THIS 'screw-up play out? ... ... ...

Like 'Monopoly'.  "Bank error in your favour"  Collect 2 FRONT ROW CENTRE seats...do not pass go...do not collect 200 dollars.  As they sang on 15 Big-Uns...'It's OK'.  OK?  Freekin' JACK POT!!!

Now...I am on the edge of my [front row] seat because I know THIS is going to be beyond my wildest expectations.  I had only recetly discovered that there was a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson Message board.  It was printed on the back of his 'Imagination' cd which I'd purchased when it was released.  I quickly had discovered two things.  1.  The Blue-board...and then 2.  'Smile' was going to be completed, released and toured!!!  My Gawd!!!  Pinch me.

Oh YA!!  I'd died and gone to heaven.  There are other people who love the Beach Boys and Brian?...They 'chat' about it ON-LINE?  And SMiLE is HAPPENING???  Pinch me again...Am I dreaming?  But no...I wasn't.  I got to bear witness with eyes, ears and other human witnesses to the concert of a lifetime.  Man...I was pulling for Brian.  I wanted him to knock one so far out of the park that it would never land.  I wanted HIM to feel better about the whole 'thing' than anyone there...including me.  He/They most certainly did Clobber that 'sucker'...and then some.  Almost 11 years later and the ball is still sailing...showing no signs that gravity even exists.

And so it began... ... ...

1.And Your Dream Comes True
2.Surfer Girl
3.Wendy
4.Add Some Music to Your Day ...at this point I started to CRY...Hence the 'name' Add Some.  Cry?  What a 'suck'. LOL
5.Good to My Baby
6.Please Let Me Wonder
7.Drive-In   ...I couldn't believe they added this old 'baby' into the mix.  GREAT surprise.
8.Good Timin'
9.You're Welcome   ...I sure was.

That marked the end of the accoustic intro to the festivities.  It was FANTASTIC.  Wonderful way to present...and to begin.  Then...

10.Sloop John B
11.Hawaii  
12.Desert Drive  
13.California Girls
14.Your Imagination
15.Gettin' In Over My Head
16.God Only Knows
17.Don't Worry Baby
18.Forever
19.Soul Searchin'
20.Sail On, Sailor
21.Marcella

Now how the heck do you BEAT THAT???  We knew.  And this was only the intermission?  Pinch me again. [twice]

Then came the magic.  Brian Wilson and his Band of Excellence delivered perfection.  And I was front row centre with my wife???  Pinch me.  When they got to 'Vegetables' we hauled out a bunch of well done  'fake' veggies.  Carrots.  Tomatoes.  Green Peppers. etc and got the folks sitting on either side of us to join us in holding these props skyward.  Taylor Mills saw it and nudged the guys on either side of her to check it out.  They all laughed and we all felt great.  A possitive connection.  Pinch me.  It was just a blessing...pure and simple.  I wanted Brian to know...to get...to completely understand HOW MUCH this meant to 'us'...how much HE meant to 'us'...how important this moment was for ALL of us...including him.  I hope he did.  I hope he KNEW that we weren't just cheering and yelling and stomping and clapping for an encore...which he and the gang dutifully delivered.  [twice]

Encore:
39.Do It Again
40.I Get Around
41.Help Me, Rhonda
42.Barbara Ann
43.Surfin' U.S.A.
44.Fun, Fun, Fun

Much more well deserved fanaticism...and then...

Encore 2:
45.Love and Mercy

THAT'S it.  The BEST Beach Boys related concert I ever attended.  And all I had to do was show up.  Brian, et al, did ALL the rest. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:32:08 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:10:54 AM »

Brian Wilson performing Smile live in Frankfurt.

Before the show I wasn't really aware of what Smile souded like. I knew some Beach Boys albums, but wasn't really that familiar with most of the songs from Smile. So I went there with my friend and it blew our minds. It was like a rollercoaster ride. The best Beach Boys realted show I ever attended.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:04:20 AM »

You've just reminded me I also took carrots and celery to my Smile concert, and chomped them throughout vega-tables. Can't remember if anyone really reacted.

Please delete my account
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:14:59 AM »

Brian Wilson performing Smile live in Frankfurt.

Before the show I wasn't really aware of what Smile souded like. I knew some Beach Boys albums, but wasn't really that familiar with most of the songs from Smile. So I went there with my friend and it blew our minds. It was like a rollercoaster ride. The best Beach Boys realted show I ever attended.

I was at the same show. During the regular set they did Time to Get Alone, which was a nice surprise. Alte Oper was a very appropriate venue for a Smile show.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »

Driving my 55 Caddy to NYC in 1971 sans ticket, parking across the street from Carnegie Hall, handing the guard $5.00, and getting a seat on the end 7 rows from the stage. Will always go down as their best show I ever attended.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 07:38:08 AM »

Driving my 55 Caddy to NYC in 1971 sans ticket, parking across the street from Carnegie Hall, handing the guard $5.00, and getting a seat on the end 7 rows from the stage. Will always go down as their best show I ever attended.
Great story!

Wish I had seen that show!

Too bad you guys had to pay the guards!  LOL

Sorry, I just could not resist!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:47 AM »

Candlestick Park, San Francisco 1983 (last time I saw all three Wilsons on stage); SMILE in Houston AND Grand Prairie November 2004 (as my newly-minted Brian Wilson fan friend asked in Grand Prairie, as we sat in a venue that was sitting on a property his daddy used to ranch and he rode horses on as a kid, "how DO they DO that?"); best of all, even without Carl and Dennis: C50 at the Red Rock Amphitheater in Las Vegas May 2012 for my 62nd birthday and my own 50 years "with" the Beach Boys. THAT was a show to end all shows. (Seeing Carl Wilson at the Old Waldorf in SF in 1981 was a real treat, as well.)
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »

Been to many shows, but here are some highlights:

1. BB at Bradley University in Peoria, IL. October 1981. I was 11 years old and was in the front row. Even shook Bruce Johnston's hand.

2. BW concert road trip in July 2011. First show, Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, MI. Invited after the show to meet BW (where my avatar pic was taken). We were all taken to a large indoor greenhouse, where Brian, Jeff F., and Probyn came in to see us. Second show, St. Charles, IL the following night. Indoor theater. I met Melinda Wilson in the lobby.

3. Went to two C50 shows in 2012. First at Summerfest in Milwaukee, where we actually got to see Three Dog Night (minus Chuck) the night before on a side stage. Then, a week later, saw the second show at Red Rock in Morrison, CO. Amazing experience.

4. BW concert road trip in July 2013. First show, Fraze Pavillion in Kettering, OH. The second night, Ravinia in Highland Park, IL, which was real cool because my family, including my sister and mother, met us there.

Great memories. I'm looking forward to more!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »

ALL of the 70's concerts were the best for me. Especially Beachago in 1975.

Winterland, San Francisco: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 18, 1973). First Beach Boys concert.

Sacramento Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 21, 1973)  Still have my concert poster for this one.

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (June 8, 1974).

Day On The Green #2 & 3, Oakland: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young (July 13 & 14, 1974) (Still have my big yellow poster for this).  Ontario Motor speedway with The Boys was scheduled for August 3, 1974 - bought some drinking glasses with the BB logo on them commemorating the event that was eventually cancelled.

National Exhibition Hall, Sacramento: Beach Boys, Dec. 21, 1974

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Chicago, The Beach Boys, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Bob Seger (May 24, 1975). (Still have my poster and concert booklet for this). One of my all time favorites.

Day On The Green #5, Oakland: The Beach Boys, America, Elvin Bishop, John Sebastian, Eureka. (July 2, 1976) Brian's back. Still have my concert booklet for this.

Cow Palace, San Francisco: The Beach Boys, (December 28, 1977)

Day On The Green #1: The Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Elvin Bishop, Norton Buffalo (May 28, 1978).

1980's were a blur.

Candlestick Park, San Francisco 1983 or 1984. Sacramento State Fair and a couple of concerts at the Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA.

Old Waldorf, San Francisco CA. Carl Wilson solo show in 1981. First show, met with Carl between shows and stayed for part of the second.

1990's

Concord Pavilion - two or three Beach Boys concerts early to mid- 1990's. Concord Pavilion, Concord CA. Last time I saw the Beach Boys before Carl died.

2,000's - pretty much all of Brian's solo shows (including Paul Simon Tour, Pet Sounds (w/Al & Ricky) & Smile and TLOS) in the Bay Area up until two years ago.

Two Al shows - one at Great America Santa Clara and one at Big Sur. And a brief one in Berkeley.

C50 concert, Beach Boys in Berkeley, CA., June, 2012.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:42:33 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »

I saw Brian in 2004 in Frankfurt performing Smile. A fantastic experience and I loved the first part of the show and the encore just as much as I did the Smile part.

But the best show was The Beach Boys in Berlin in 2012. At first I was a little disappointed that they didn't use a video screen in Europe. I thought it was kinda sad that therefor no Dennis tribute/song was played. But that blend!! And the band!! Cowsill and Sahanaja stand out in my memory, although each member was just as great as the others. Darian's voice and singing on "Darlin'" were just so perfect! During "Disney Girls (1957)" Brian at one point seemingly out of the blue sang a harmony that just blew my mind and was a stunning contribution to a great (as usual) performance by Bruce. Bruce standing on one of the monitor speakers and conducting the audience for "Sloop John B." is another cool memory. I was too young to see them with Carl and this was my first (and probably last) chance to see the Beach Boys live.

EDIT:

This is a picture I made of Bruce during "Sloop John B."

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:54:08 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »

Brian Wilson - Smile live, October 14 2004 at the Orpheum in Boston. I could write a full essay on the experience but I won't here.  Grin The setlist, even the non-Smile material, was terrific and the crowd was fully engaged through the whole show. The Smile set was about as good as anything I have heard or will ever hear live. This was the show where Jeff Foskett was sick and could not perform.

From the first set, "God Only Knows" stands as one of the most transcendent musical and concert experiences I've ever witnessed. I wrote about it after it happened, but just to recap.

Something legitimately magical happened during that song, it's hard to explain yet easy to remember exactly what happened. As Brian and band went through the song, there was a feeling in the air that I can only describe as magical, you couldn't define it but it felt like something different was happening. And it felt like the whole crowd was feeling it too. By the end of the song, the whole crowd was coming to their feet, like the music had lifted all of us somewhere else for those few minutes, and as the song ended, everyone literally erupted. There was applause, there were tears (I had them, those around me had them), and it was pure joy and almost like a release of emotions - both physically and otherwise in the reaction. Everyone in that place was standing up, yelling-clapping-cheering-crying, and it was a truly collective, beautiful moment that could have stopped the whole show...again, before Smile even got started in the second set.

As much as the crowd felt it - Brian felt this too, and with all the crowd noise from a long standing ovation, you could hear him on stage saying "wow! thank you!" "wow"...things like that, you could see him smiling and it seemed like even he was taken aback and taken by surprise by what had just happened and the reactions everyone had and was feeling. How many times had he done this song in the years just before this on various tours, yet you could tell something this night was different somehow. The wave of applause from the crowd proved it.

I have never, and will never, listen to a recording of that show. I couldn't hear everything Brian said in reply, I couldn't see everything that was going on due to the crowd's eruption, but it was an unfiltered and unplanned collective response to something that kept building and building during the song and again which I think audience members all felt themselves gradually getting swept up into...perhaps subconsciously or as a gut reaction that just took over as the music played.

Really, really special performance. One moment that can never be matched, and one moment which I really don't care to hear in the form of a recording because I was there to experience it and get swept up in it along with everyone else in that theater. When the applause died down and everyone finally sat down, you almost felt tired out and numb afterward. God Only Knows for sure.

And Smile was terrific too.  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »

From the first set, "God Only Knows" stands as one of the most transcendent musical and concert experiences I've ever witnessed. I wrote about it after it happened, but just to recap.

Something legitimately magical happened during that song, it's hard to explain yet easy to remember exactly what happened. As Brian and band went through the song, there was a feeling in the air that I can only describe as magical, you couldn't define it but it felt like something different was happening. And it felt like the whole crowd was feeling it too. By the end of the song, the whole crowd was coming to their feet, like the music had lifted all of us somewhere else for those few minutes, and as the song ended, everyone literally erupted. There was applause, there were tears (I had them, those around me had them), and it was pure joy and almost like a release of emotions - both physically and otherwise in the reaction. Everyone in that place was standing up, yelling-clapping-cheering-crying, and it was a truly collective, beautiful moment that could have stopped the whole show...again, before Smile even got started in the second set.

As much as the crowd felt it - Brian felt this too, and with all the crowd noise from a long standing ovation, you could hear him on stage saying "wow! thank you!" "wow"...things like that, you could see him smiling and it seemed like even he was taken aback and taken by surprise by what had just happened and the reactions everyone had and was feeling. How many times had he done this song in the years just before this on various tours, yet you could tell something this night was different somehow. The wave of applause from the crowd proved it.

I recall something similar for the final night of the TLOS run at the Royal Festival Hall.  Long, spontaneous standing ovation, though probably not people rising during the song itself.  I was right near the stage.  Brian looked down a couple of times during the ovation, then back up at the crowd.  He wiped his eyes then and said 'you're gonna make me cry up here', or words to that effect.

As a general performance, I preferred the TLOS premiere.  Brian was enjoying the final night, so it took the edge off a touch.  I remember him during the performance of TLOS at the premiere, more serious and focussed, his hand trembling as he took his mug of herbal tea.  Such a performance of Midnight's Another Day.  I was up close then too.  Shivers.  I guess I'll suggest that as my favourite BB-related concert moment.

Smile was great too, but I have no original thoughts/anecdotes to add.

Really enjoyed the Gershwin show at the RFH, partially because Brian seemed to be in a great mood.  Also, it was the first time I'd seen him at that venue where the BBs hit set was the meat of the show, coming after the Gershwin set.  It was kind of a big difference.  Come to think of it, that was the last time I saw a Brian Wilson show, in 2011, and I kinda felt like that was it, that there probably wasn't much more to come, career or concert-wise, from the man or the rest of the Boys.

Most favourite show of all was probably RAH for the Beach Boys 2012, but that's for different reasons that are fairly obvious for a fan who wasn't around during the earlier days (and Brian was in an even greater mood).

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »

While I've got several shows under my belt from which to choose, I know I'm on the lower end of the spectrum in comparison to the longtime or more fanatical fans around here. Mine are all Brian Wilson shows, no Beach Boys shows. For different reasons, I loved several: the sheer wonder at my first one, in 2001 (Paul Simon tour); the energy in the TLOS show; and the excitement of Al and Dave joining the band in 2013.

But the most special show for me was my first of two Smile shows, which I saw in Glasgow in early 2004. It was my first overseas trip ever--a fantastic time in Glasgow and London--and just an amazing show. I had about four years of medium-intense Smile collecting and recreating behind me, but avoided the boots that were circulating in those early days so I could be surprised by the final results. (Actually, truth be told, I think I did listen to a few bits here and there, but not a whole show. I swear. I think.)

The first set struck me in how horrible it was. Maybe I exaggerate it in my own mind now, but there were so many songs that just didn't connect at all. "Time to Get Alone," admittedly not the easiest of songs, was horrendous. That disappointed me, being a favorite. I want to say he tried and mangled "Breakaway" that night, too, but that might not be true. Memory is a funny thing. What I do know for sure is that during the pre-Smile intermission, I told my traveling companion and friend that it wouldn't surprise me if we would receive an announcement that the show simply would not go on. I had never heard of such a thing with Brian's solo career, but it struck me as entirely reasonable that this might be the case on that night, off as Brian obviously was. I mean, it was not good.

We went back in and took our seats for Smile. Shows always are better live, and in our memories, than on tape, so don't believe the boots. That night was as close to religion as I get, from the opening notes of "Our Prayer" to the end of "Good Vibrations." That was my liturgy and I was in awe, reverently soaking in as much as I could. I laughed, delighted how this fit there and that fit here, the best puzzle I'd ever seen assembled, all so flawlessly by that fantastic band. And Brian performed more than admirably, especially considering his first-set lowlights.

Anyway, then we left, bought deep-fried pizza from some street vendor (what the f***, Glasgow? why do you hate me?) to devour with some Tennent's back in our room, and recounted our perspectives on the show before heading back the next morning (on a flight graced by some kilted--but not underweared--drunken Scottish guys).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »

btw, I've told that story a million times, several of which were probably here. Hopefully it retains some kernel of truth.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »

I've seen Brian probably 20, 21 times since he started touring in 1999. I saw the Beach Boys in 1996 and again in 2012 during the 50th anniversary tour.

Best of all of 'em, for me: easily Brian at Massey Hall in Toronto in 2011. Just a fantastic show from start to finish. Brian was SO on that night. The crowd was loving every second of it, and Brian was definitely feeding off it. The band was tighter than ever, and the Gershwin set was just unbelievable, especially "I Loves You, Porgy".

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »

Christchurch NZ 1978. Can't remember much of the setlist. Terrible sound from a terrible tour however the names Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al make up for any shortcomings. 
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »

Winterland, San Francisco: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 18, 1973). First Beach Boys concert.

Sacramento Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 21, 1973)  Still have my concert poster for this one.

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (June 8, 1974).

Day On The Green #2 & 3, Oakland: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young (July 13 & 14, 1974) (Still have my big yellow poster for this).  Ontario Motor speedway with The Boys was scheduled for August 3, 1974 - bought some drinking glasses with the BB logo on them commemorating the event that was eventually cancelled.

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Chicago, The Beach Boys, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Bob Seger (May 24, 1975). (Still have my poster and concert booklet for this). One of my all time favorites.

Day On The Green #5, Oakland: The Beach Boys, America, Elvin Bishop, John Sebastian, Eureka. (July 2, 1976) Brian's back. Still have my concert booklet for this.

Day On The Green #1: The Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Elvin Bishop, Norton Buffalo (May 28, 1978).

1980's were a blur.

Candlestick Park, San Francisco 1983 or 1984. Sacramento State Fair and a couple of concerts at the Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA.

Old Waldorf, San Francisco CA. Carl Wilson solo show in 1981. First show, met with Carl between shows and stayed for part of the second.

1990's

Concord Pavilion - two or three Beach Boys concerts early to mid- 1990's. Concord Pavilion, Concord CA. Last time I saw the Beach Boys before Carl died.

2,000's - pretty much all of Brian's solo shows (including Paul Simon Tour, Pet Sounds (w/Al & Ricky) & Smile and TLOS) in the Bay Area up until two years ago.

Two Al shows - one at Great America Santa Clara and one at Big Sur. And a brief one in Berkeley.

Mikie, I knew you were at the 83 or 84 Candlestick, and '78 Day on the Green (not their best) that I my wife and attended, but was that Sacramento show the one at Cal Expo in '83?  Seems like Pablo Cruise opened?  Sounds like we were both at the Old Waldorf the same night too on Fisherman's Wharf for Carl as well. That was a nice show. Up close and personal. Wish I had some pictures from that one (or our ticket stubs we forgot on the table). Did you see them at Shoreline in '86?  That was OK but of course no Brian.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »

I get to start...well...just 'cause... Cool Guy

There have been a bunch of really, Really GREAT shows.  Getting to MC several over the years in and around Toronto, circa '83-'93, was a HUGE thrill...but they don't qualify.  It ain't all about me.  The early 70s show where I accompanied Carl back to their Toronto lodgings for lunch and a chat was a GIGANTIC thrill.  I'll never-ever forget it.  THE highlight of my young life...by light years.  The box-set tour in the early 90s [because the venues were so SMALL and intimate that they could actually hear one another sing and as such the level of the performances were elevated BIG TIME] in Toronto's accoustically perfect Massey Hall ranks right up there...almost at the very top.  It is certainly the 2nd best concert I've ever been lucky enough to attend.  But there is one more that stands head and shoulders beyond the rest.  It will likely be the pinnacle for what's left of the rest of my life.

[Granted I did NOT get to attend a 50th Anniversary concert...so my view-point is, at the very least, incomplete.]

No...for me the head and shoulders winner was the Smile [BWPS] concert at the previously mentioned, accoustically perfect Massey Hall in Toronto. Cool Guy  It was the concert that was NEVER-EVER going to happen.  Not a snowball's chance in hades that THAT would even BECOME a possibility.  ZERO likelihood.  A pipe dream.  Forget it.

Yet, On October 6, 2004...I arrived at Massey Hall to pick up *MY* tickets for the concert that would NEVER occur.  I had ordered them on-line.  Decent seats.  But for SOME inexplicable reason they were just not available when I arrived at the will-call window.  Really?!?!?!?  Some glitch in 'the machine' had robbed me of my seating.  Shocked   Oh "sh*t-on-a-stick"!!!  Don't panic.  How will THIS 'screw-up play out? ... ... ...

Like 'Monopoly'.  "Bank error in your favour"  Collect 2 FRONT ROW CENTRE seats...do not pass go...do not collect 200 dollars.  As they sang on 15 Big-Uns...'It's OK'.  OK?  Freekin' JACK POT!!!

Now...I am on the edge of my [front row] seat because I know THIS is going to be beyond my wildest expectations.  I had only recetly discovered that there was a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson Message board.  It was printed on the back of his 'Imagination' cd which I'd purchased when it was released.  I quickly had discovered two things.  1.  The Blue-board...and then 2.  'Smile' was going to be completed, released and toured!!!  My Gawd!!!  Pinch me.

Oh YA!!  I'd died and gone to heaven.  There are other people who love the Beach Boys and Brian?...They 'chat' about it ON-LINE?  And SMiLE is HAPPENING???  Pinch me again...Am I dreaming?  But no...I wasn't.  I got to bear witness with eyes, ears and other human witnesses to the concert of a lifetime.  Man...I was pulling for Brian.  I wanted him to knock one so far out of the park that it would never land.  I wanted HIM to feel better about the whole 'thing' than anyone there...including me.  He/They most certainly did Clobber that 'sucker'...and then some.  Almost 11 years later and the ball is still sailing...showing no signs that gravity even exists.

And so it began... ... ...

1.And Your Dream Comes True
2.Surfer Girl
3.Wendy
4.Add Some Music to Your Day ...at this point I started to CRY...Hence the 'name' Add Some.  Cry?  What a 'suck'. LOL
5.Good to My Baby
6.Please Let Me Wonder
7.Drive-In   ...I couldn't believe they added this old 'baby' into the mix.  GREAT surprise.
8.Good Timin'
9.You're Welcome   ...I sure was.

That marked the end of the accoustic intro to the festivities.  It was FANTASTIC.  Wonderful way to present...and to begin.  Then...

10.Sloop John B
11.Hawaii  
12.Desert Drive  
13.California Girls
14.Your Imagination
15.Gettin' In Over My Head
16.God Only Knows
17.Don't Worry Baby
18.Forever
19.Soul Searchin'
20.Sail On, Sailor
21.Marcella

Now how the heck do you BEAT THAT???  We knew.  And this was only the intermission?  Pinch me again. [twice]

Then came the magic.  Brian Wilson and his Band of Excellence delivered perfection.  And I was front row centre with my wife???  Pinch me.  When they got to 'Vegetables' we hauled out a bunch of well done  'fake' veggies.  Carrots.  Tomatoes.  Green Peppers. etc and got the folks sitting on either side of us to join us in holding these props skyward.  Taylor Mills saw it and nudged the guys on either side of her to check it out.  They all laughed and we all felt great.  A possitive connection.  Pinch me.  It was just a blessing...pure and simple.  I wanted Brian to know...to get...to completely understand HOW MUCH this meant to 'us'...how much HE meant to 'us'...how important this moment was for ALL of us...including him.  I hope he did.  I hope he KNEW that we weren't just cheering and yelling and stomping and clapping for an encore...which he and the gang dutifully delivered.  [twice]

Encore:
39.Do It Again
40.I Get Around
41.Help Me, Rhonda
42.Barbara Ann
43.Surfin' U.S.A.
44.Fun, Fun, Fun

Much more well deserved fanaticism...and then...

Encore 2:
45.Love and Mercy

THAT'S it.  The BEST Beach Boys related concert I ever attended.  And all I had to do was show up.  Brian, et al, did ALL the rest. Cool Guy

I was at this exact show. Thanks for reminding me what a great night it was.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 08:29:17 PM »

1980's were a blur.

1990's

Mikie, I knew you were at the 83 or 84 Candlestick, and '78 Day on the Green (not their best) that I my wife and attended, but was that Sacramento show the one at Cal Expo in '83?  Seems like Pablo Cruise opened?  Sounds like we were both at the Old Waldorf the same night too on Fisherman's Wharf for Carl as well. That was a nice show. Up close and personal. Wish I had some pictures from that one (or our ticket stubs we forgot on the table). Did you see them at Shoreline in '86?  That was OK but of course no Brian.

Hi, Norm. No, I wasn't at the Cal Expo show in 1983, but I was there for one of the Beach Boys shows between 1985 and 1987. There was another show in Sacramento that I attended (in addition to the late '73 and '74 shows) at Hughes Stadium in Sacramento. I don't even remember what year that was.

As far as the Carl Wilson show at the Old Waldorf. I was sitting at a table right near the stage. When Carl talked about his new album in between playing songs, I reached over and handed him my copy of the album for him to hold up for the audience.  With a big grin he gave me back the album and told me, "Your 5 bucks is in the mail". I later caught him near his dressing room in between shows, asked him to autograph the album, and I told him I loved his solo music and the songs he wrote for the "Keepin' The Summer Alive" album (he really appreciated that). I shook his hand, and he said, "Thank you very much". Guy couldn't have been more humble and gracious.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:20 PM »

1. BB at Bradley University in Peoria, IL. October 1981. I was 11 years old and was in the front row. Even shook Bruce Johnston's hand.

2. BW concert road trip in July 2011. First show, Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, MI. Invited after the show to meet BW (where my avatar pic was taken). We were all taken to a large indoor greenhouse, where Brian, Jeff F., and Probyn came in to see us. Second show, St. Charles, IL the following night. Indoor theater. I met Melinda Wilson in the lobby.

3. Went to two C50 shows in 2012. First at Summerfest in Milwaukee, where we actually got to see Three Dog Night (minus Chuck) the night before on a side stage. Then, a week later, saw the second show at Red Rock in Morrison, CO. Amazing experience.

4. BW concert road trip in July 2013. First show, Fraze Pavillion in Kettering, OH. The second night, Ravinia in Highland Park, IL, which was real cool because my family, including my sister and mother, met us there.

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »

Wow John, I must have been your limo driver back in 2011 as I also saw both of these shows !!  But that second BW show  in St. Charles at the Arcadia Theatre was my best ever BB/BW concert experience.  Was fortunate to have second row seats in that very small (and HOT old vaudeville theatre).  Will never EVER forget the opening Our Prayer with the acoustics near flawless.  Obviously the local St. Charles crowd was there (BW group founded there in the late 90's) and was roaring with pleasure.  From memory, I believe Brian walked out with a second encore and sang Love and Mercy.   Best ever moment
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 03:12:03 AM »

It was a bitter, bitter year in England, 1966. My dad, recently demobbed from the RAF and famished due to the Swede’s fried fish blockade, stole a loaf and at the direction of the Old Bailey was cast off with his new bride to the colonial morass of the antipodes.

On the rank shores of Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia, Dad (I called him "Dad") met with folk of the old lands and was welcomed into a family anew.

One of my adopted cousins was a Beach Boys fan - he had attended the tour of ’78, and in his collection was a vinyl copy of L.A and a cassette of Smiley Smile - both of which he lent me, which at the time helped sooth my obsession re all things BB.

So it was, many years later in the year 2002, one Brian Wilson came down to perform an highly anticipated live version of the beloved album, Pet Sounds.

With child 3 not far off, it was a little impractical for my beautiful wife to join me - so I called my old pal/faux cousin, still living at Mom and Dad’s house, to see if he wanted to come along.  “Yeah, I’d love it.  Can I pay you on the night?”

Yeah, no wukkas, Cuz.

Anyway, we met at bar 5 of the Brisbane Entertainment centre (generic performance stadium).  I in cherry red doc boots, levi’s etc, Cuz in grey velcro pumps, trackie-dacks (sweat pants?) etc.

We had a couple of beers - “Can I pay you when I see you next?”.  Yeah, no worries, man.

We sat down next to a mum and her late teen daughter, the daughter obviously dragged along for company.  At first, the daughter was simpatico and traded a jape or 2  - but after a round of “Sail of Sailor” accompanied by my lead vocal and air kick-bass drumming, her geek alarm was raised, leaving me, the mom and Cuz kicked back and had a ball for the rest of the evening.

And Brian Wilson - well, he played well, and sang nice: so did the band - but they didn’t do Pet Sounds; despite the program.

Anyway, it was a time and the best BB related gig I’ve been to, despite being stiffed on the ticket price and a couple of beers.

As for my faux cuz, well, he drifted along, not quite fitting in for many many years.

Finally, he found love and married - sadly though, he’s spent this christmas break in waiting rooms as his wife has struggles through various operations to address her breast cancer.

Time will tell what happens there, but time has told me to share those good times with your friends, or your families - no matter how tenuous or dorky those relationships may be.  I’m glad my good time was at a BB related gig.  Make 'em all the best!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 04:37:58 AM »

Best BB related concert? The only one----in the grounds of Kenwood House in late June 2008. Whatever went wrong behind the scenes and whatever the general verdict, I loved every minute of it. I'd seen one of my idols backed by a great band----what more could I reasonably wish for?   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 07:17:28 AM »

C50 concert at Bethlehem, PA. Second row front and center. Great concert, Mike pointed at me several times, and got Al Jardine's pick at the end of the concert. A magical night.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 09:17:12 AM »

1980's were a blur.

1990's

Hi, Norm. No, I wasn't at the Cal Expo show in 1983, but I was there for one of the Beach Boys shows between 1985 and 1987. There was another show in Sacramento that I attended (in addition to the late '73 and '74 shows) at Hughes Stadium in Sacramento. I don't even remember what year that was.

As far as the Carl Wilson show at the Old Waldorf. I was sitting at a table right near the stage. When Carl talked about his new album in between playing songs, I reached over and handed him my copy of the album for him to hold up for the audience.  With a big grin he gave me back the album and told me, "Your 5 bucks is in the mail". I later caught him near his dressing room in between shows, asked him to autograph the album, and I told him I loved his solo music and the songs he wrote for the "Keepin' The Summer Alive" album (he really appreciated that). I shook his hand, and he said, "Thank you very much". Guy couldn't have been more humble and gracious.

Hah! That was you! Les Chan was there as well, although I did not know him at the time. Yeah, I guess Carl was quite a guy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx