gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 07:24:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DAFT film website updated with "Smile" links  (Read 15310 times)
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2006, 02:11:50 PM »

The DAFT film site has been updated with links to two Smile-related videos:
http://daftfilm.tripod.com
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 02:59:18 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 11:47:49 AM »

I've just uploaded 3 more videos regarding the "Dumb Angel Fairy Tale". These are interviews with three names you all know - right after they viewed the film in February of 2004 in London.
They include:

Domenic Priore
Darian Sahanaja
David Leaf

It is very interesting that 2 that are close to Brian in a working capacity (Darian and David) are both aware of the film.

Anyway, as soon as they are "accepted" by google video, I'll post the links.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »

Thanks earcandy....looking forward to this.
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 03:48:04 AM »

They've posted the interview segments with Domenic, David Leaf, and Darian:
Domenic:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22Domenic+Priore+speaks+about+D.A.F.T.%22+playable:true
David:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22David+Leaf+speaks+about+D.A.F.T.%22+playable:true
Darian:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=%22Darian+Sahanaja+speaks+about+D.A.F.T.%22+playable:true

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 01:22:31 PM »

This is a real treat.  Worth any extra effort you have to put forth to get the clips to play.

I Can't wait to see this film.

I wonder when the reviews were recorded.  Recently?  Darian suggested that the Band needed to be doing Magic Transistor Radio.

Absolutely FANTASTIC idea.  I've been saying that music has been overlooked for years!

Darian also impies that there will be more touring by saying that (assuming this was a recent bit of film)

check it out

Thanks Earcandy!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 01:35:08 PM »

I forgot the obvious question.

Where can I get a full copy of the film?
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 01:47:22 PM »

I wonder when the reviews were recorded.  Recently? 

The interviews were done when Smile debuted in London!

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 10:45:21 AM »

I forgot the obvious question.
Where can I get a full copy of the film?

I'm not sure if and when they will make it "commercially" available.  I think for the immediate future they are going to concentrate on film festivals and fan conventions.

Of course you would have the legalities of using the original Beach Boys Smile material, so the Lovester would be more than happy to sue!

However, it would be funny to have an "unnofficial" release in a 3rd-World nation! 

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 11:55:52 AM »

Thats too bad (the legalities).

I have to think there are a few dollars to be made for these guys and a lot of enjoyment to be had for fans of SMiLE.

I was very intrigued with Darians comments on touring the Mt. Vernon and Fairway music.  But the interview is going on 2 years old so obviously it was never performed.  Maybe next time if there is a next time.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 09:50:59 PM »

There was some discussion in Brian's camp post Pet Sounds Tour of doing a seriesof concerts of Brian's  experimental music, such as Rio Grande, Mt. Vernon & Fairway, and some of Brian's lesser known gems.

After batting it around for awhile,Brian nixed the idea, and decided to do Smile live. Perhaps now that he is not so shy about his more arty music, he can allow himself to think about an experimental music concert in the  LA area next year.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 04:33:45 AM »

Perhaps now that he is not so shy about his more arty music, he can allow himself to think about an experimental music concert in the  LA area next year.

Hm.  If it was a one-off and not a tour, i'd think about going out for that one.  I'm always looking for an excuse to go to LA.

I was only able to catch bits and pieces of Rasmus' films when he was here in July for Busy Doin' Somethin' Else, so i can't speak to them in their entirety, but what i saw was quite intriguing.  I'm hoping to be able to see the full films one of these days!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »

There was some discussion in Brian's camp post Pet Sounds Tour of doing a seriesof concerts of Brian's  experimental music, such as Rio Grande, Mt. Vernon & Fairway, and some of Brian's lesser known gems.

After batting it around for awhile,Brian nixed the idea, and decided to do Smile live. Perhaps now that he is not so shy about his more arty music, he can allow himself to think about an experimental music concert in the  LA area next year.

Oh God....that'd be SO AWESOME. I wish he would do that, because it just might impact his writing...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 11:55:47 PM »

I know this is off topic a little but Priore does the funniest Bruce Johnston impersonation I ever heard!
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 05:01:11 AM »

New musicvid directed by Konstantin Furman for Brian Wilson's Grammy winning Mrs. O'Leary's Cow.
Smiley Smile Associate Søren provided the fine basic instrumental mix/medley which the whole film is based upon:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7270752012161370846&q=furman

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »

Hi;
  I am a BIG Beach Boys fan since around 1976. I have everything released by them on CDs. Even solo albums. I have met all but Al and Brian and had a picture with each. http://www.myspace.com/alf1964(see my pics section) Also, I couldn't find any Beach Boys poster, so I made my own many years ago. I have a smaller version in my pics section. The original is on my wall in the living room. I would love it if mine was the official one for The Beach Boys. My way of giving back to them what they have been giving to me and everyone over their long career. their music has pulled me though very tough times in my life. And kept me away drugs and alcohol with their positive sound and feeling. Their music even helped me through losing my sister last July in a tragic car crash. It kept my spirits up.
  I am looking for a definitive videography of them. Not concert footage per se. I am thinking of TV show performances and MTV/VH1 style music videos. I noticed that even though there was no MTV then, the group was filmed with stage props, and camera filters, and lighting tricks. Which would constitute a music video. I know some of their music videos have been released in specials like "The Beach Boys: An American Band", "Endless harmony" and others. Though none of them have music videos from "Getcha Back" onward. Or anything solo by the guys. I am compiling my own videography for myself. I DO NOT want to or plan to sell it and get into legal troubles with anyone, ESPECIALLY The Beach Boys themselves. Heck, I would love to be part of making a definitive one for them. (same reason as above) I am just frustrated that no one has done this before! The same reason why I made my own beach Boys poster. I didn't know if it was possible to get a VIEWABLE copy of their music videos? If you can help me out, let me know. I would really like to do this without causing problems for anyone. Like, for instance how would I get permission? and from whom? 
Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.
alf1964@gmail.com
Mark
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 01:15:08 AM »

DAFTfilm's Elemental Suite is a videosampler introducing Wind Chimes (Air) and featuring Vega-Tables (Earth)
- both excerpted from the Dumb Angel Fairy Tale (SMiLE/Mt. Vernon-film) with Mrs. O' Leary's Cow (Fire) and
In Blue Hawaii (Water) - both taken from the music video 'Honest Arnie's Cow's In The Pasture':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHQ4-L5P7k

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 09:15:52 AM »

how can i view the whole film?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 03:33:51 AM »

Actually we had a series of screenings 3½ years ago (right after it was completed) in London near RFH. And it would be nice if we could do it again
in september - let's say somewhere during the weeks from the  10'th-29'th - when Brian presents his NEW musical fairytale! Right after the first
showings we had the chance to correct the mistakes and improve the coloring (in the movie: Dumb Angel Fairy Tale - 47 minutes) and include the
opening statements from David Leaf, Darian Sahanaja & Domenic Priore as well. (September 29'th is the date for the Beach Boys Stomp convention in
Greenford, West London with Dom. Priore as special guest)
So what it boils down to is this: I can provide the film and will stay in london the last 3 weeks of september. But I have no funds to rent a room and/or
equipment. So it will be up up to someone else to make it happen. This is just an example on how, when and where it could be screened.
Rasmusskotte@hotmail.com

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »

This would make an awsome show:
1. Well You're Welcom
2. Rio Grande
3. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
4. Diamond Head
5. A Day In the Life of a Tree
6. Til I Die (EH Soundtrack version)
7. Sail Plane
8. Airplane
9. Johnny Carson
10. Can't Wait Too Long
11. At My Window
12. He Gives Speaches
13. Trombone Dixie
14. Winter Symphony
15.  Mt Vernon and Fairway

Give or take a few, but something in this vain would be awesome!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »

yeah, there's no way i could make that...would a dvd release be in the future?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 04:13:38 AM »

I'm not sure I understand Magic Trans' list: are alle those titles available on video?
As for a dvd release - it requires  funds (again) and a solution to the copyright issues
involved. Any takers?

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 08:54:24 PM »

I'm not sure I understand Magic Trans' list: are alle those titles available on video?
As for a dvd release - it requires  funds (again) and a solution to the copyright issues
involved. Any takers?

I was actually thinking that it would make a cool show in the future. I know nothing of plans to do this. It is simply a fantasy list of songs that would be cool if Brian did them live.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 03:29:30 AM »

Here's a shortlist of Beach Boys titles which could be given cinematic treatments - but not by me! Because I would personally find them too difficult to
expand into music videos/movie formats and/or they just don't fuel my visual imagination enough to tackle them proberly - but that's just me!:

PET SOUNDS (the song cycle)
With its description of a love affair sounds doable in theory, but I don't  see the visuals that can add new dimensions to the storyline. Do you?
MY SOLUTION
Might work animated or  filmed live
DAY IN THE LIFE OF A TREE
Already filmed as a computer animated video by british Martin White
MT. VERNON & FAIRWAY (the musical fairytale solely)
Proposed by Chris Allen as an animated film (in Open Sky #1 back in 1999)
RÍO GRANDE
Might work both in live and animated formats
SMiLE (BWPS 2004)
Van Dyke Parks suggests(?) a 'musical cartoon' and Frank Holmes' work on SMiLE as 'the perfect video vessel' (in Priore's SMiLE book 2005, page 102)
THAT LUCKY OLD SUN (the song cycle)
Already done by animator/director Rick Farmiloe for the concert video and will possibly be further developped for the album version next spring (his
essay in Beach Boys Britain Newsletter vol.9 #3 2007.

The fact that some of them are already filmed should not in itself excuse anyone motivated from giving it the old college try!

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 03:38:44 AM »

Watch this brilliant SMiLE related 'unabridged flash animation' video by Mario Ayala (not a DAFTfilm,  I'm afraid - wish it was!):
http://theelements.ca/hnv/heroesandvillains.htm

Then read his inspired 'liner notes'!
Enjoy....

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 01:32:53 AM »

Again - this stageshow has no involvement from DAFTfilm. Only link is that they are all Beach Boys-lovingly Made In Denmark. Check out the samples from 'Theatre Concert Beach Boys' here by clicking on 'FILM' on the first frame and then on the two FILM options in the second:
http://www.teaterkoncertbeachboys.dk/

Comics/cartooniés
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx