gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:31:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great early BB photo  (Read 8892 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »

Just saw this on reddit, from someone's high school yearbook. Great pic from the Pendleton days, with extra added saxophone Love.

http://i.imgur.com/9ginbrJ.jpg
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »

The Beach Boys - Nov 22, 1962 at William Howard Taft High School, Woodland Hills, CA     

I went to Taft High School in the 60's when the School was new. To me those were the days of Innocence compared to the High Schools of today. Rock and Roll was beginning, school dances were "tame" compared to the same events in this day and age. No one was searched for drugs or weapons. No one could even imagine something like that. Not to say that there wasn't some ditching school on occasion (maybe escape to the bowling alley for a couple of classes) or an occasional "late to class" in the morning because the waves were so awesome that morning. And sure there were always a few kids drinking at the drive-in theatre, making out in cars and getting a little crazy. We "fell in love", we broke-up. We cruised Van Nuys Blvd. in muscle cars, "lifted" front ends, lowered all around - thus the term "low-rider". Ate at Bob's Big Boy and A & W Root Beer. Drag-raced on DeSota (it was a dead end street). We danced to Doo Wah Diddy Diddy, the Lion Sleeps Tonight and listened to Jan and Dean, Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney, the Supremes and the Beach Boys who played at our school in the Gymnasium!! I attended my first concert, the Beattles and rushed the stage.

Girls skirts were measured in the Girl's V.P.'s office to make sure they were "long enough" or you were sent home to change. Students (just the guys I guess) got "swats" from the gym teachers. Smoking cigarettes was an absolute no no (you had to hide behind a building or go across the street to the market)

In my senior year some of my friends were getting "Draft Notices". We heard about a war in Viet Nam and we were scared that some of our friends might die. And some did. It was the beginning of the Age of Aquarius, Revolution and Demonstrations and the theme of movies to follow for decades. Our innocence was shattered with the Assassination of JFK and the draft. But these were the years I never will forget.

Sally Landry

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »

Marvellous pic, marvellous memories. Thank you both!

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 05:10:10 AM »

Fantastic pic! Thanks for sharing!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 05:30:09 AM »

Ah yessssssssssssssssssssss.  White socks and black shoes.  THOSE weren't the days. LOL

Great picture.  Lousy stage.  Can you imagine?  Well ya.  Until *we* got into 'concerts' in the school auditorium in the later 60s...dances were held in either the gym [Watch the FLOOR!!!]  No hard soul shoes allowed...or in the cafeteria.  At least that's how it was done where I came from.

Mikie!!!  Respect sir. 3D

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:07:40 AM »

Wow----thanks, shadownoze. And thanks to Mikie for a fascinating follow-up post.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »

The Beach Boys - Nov 22, 1962 at William Howard Taft High School, Woodland Hills, CA     
I went to Taft High School in the 60's when the School was new. To me those were the days of Innocence compared to the High Schools of today. Rock and Roll was beginning, school dances were "tame" compared to the same events in this day and age. No one was searched for drugs or weapons. No one could even imagine something like that. Not to say that there wasn't some ditching school on occasion (maybe escape to the bowling alley for a couple of classes) or an occasional "late to class" in the morning because the waves were so awesome that morning. And sure there were always a few kids drinking at the drive-in theatre, making out in cars and getting a little crazy. We "fell in love", we broke-up. We cruised Van Nuys Blvd. in muscle cars, "lifted" front ends, lowered all around - thus the term "low-rider". Ate at Bob's Big Boy and A & W Root Beer. Drag-raced on DeSota (it was a dead end street). We danced to Doo Wah Diddy Diddy, the Lion Sleeps Tonight and listened to Jan and Dean, Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney, the Supremes and the Beach Boys who played at our school in the Gymnasium!! I attended my first concert, the Beattles and rushed the stage.

Girls skirts were measured in the Girl's V.P.'s office to make sure they were "long enough" or you were sent home to change. Students (just the guys I guess) got "swats" from the gym teachers. Smoking cigarettes was an absolute no no (you had to hide behind a building or go across the street to the market)

In my senior year some of my friends were getting "Draft Notices". We heard about a war in Viet Nam and we were scared that some of our friends might die. And some did. It was the beginning of the Age of Aquarius, Revolution and Demonstrations and the theme of movies to follow for decades. Our innocence was shattered with the Assassination of JFK and the draft. But these were the years I never will forget.

Sally Landry

This sounds rather heavenly (aside from the draft notices, which is tragic). Kids today are treated like inmates. Even when I went to HS in the 90s, if we were one minute late to school without a doctor's note (parent note wasn't good enough), we got detention. Cutting class got you suspended! But imagine the Beach Boys playing your school, even if they weren't too well known yet. Wow.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:32:27 AM »

What a great early picture for the collection!  Cheesy
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »

Sally Landry

This sounds rather heavenly (aside from the draft notices, which is tragic). Kids today are treated like inmates. Even when I went to HS in the 90s, if we were one minute late to school without a doctor's note (parent note wasn't good enough), we got detention. Cutting class got you suspended! But imagine the Beach Boys playing your school, even if they weren't too well known yet. Wow.

Amy, just to be clear, the story above was by a student and Beach Boys fan in the L.A. area named Sally Landry. Ten years later, when I went to high school in Northern Cali, it hadn't changed that much. Music was much different - it was getting into album Rock. Some people smoked a J during lunch out by the railroad tracks, and fights were settled by fists; no weapons were around. Mini anti-war protests in the Quad area. The girls would push the limit with very short skirts and low-cut blouses and platform heels.  Tongue  Everything else described by Sally was pretty much the same, except at school dances you had mandatory chaperones with a rule to keep your hands above the waist, especially in the dark. No touchy-feely or extracurricular activity allowed. What a stupid rule, huh?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:21:56 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:50:40 AM »

Amy, just to be clear, the story above was by a student and Beach Boys fan in the L.A. area named Sally Landry.

I figured, from the signature.  Cheesy
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 11:54:47 PM »

Hey, right down the street!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 12:23:05 AM »

Um, I thought it's a well-known picture of early BBs? No? That was their best uniform, not lame as striped shirts and tight slacks. 2nd best is '74 Rockin' Eve suits, 1st Beachago. If I recall, it was a one-off thing to dress like that.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 12:46:10 AM »

“We live in divisive times.”
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 01:02:20 AM »

No need for that, I saw the link. Thanks tho.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 01:53:10 AM »

Um, I thought it's a well-known picture of early BBs? No? That was their best uniform, not lame as striped shirts and tight slacks. 2nd best is '74 Rockin' Eve suits, 1st Beachago. If I recall, it was a one-off thing to dress like that.

Not an opinion that was shared by Dennis Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 02:38:14 AM »

Students (just the guys I guess) got "swats" from the gym teachers.

They should bring this back!   Undecided

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »

Um, I thought it's a well-known picture of early BBs? No?

No. First time I've seen it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »

Didn't pay any attention to the year book text under the picture 'til jst now..."...bellow and blare their surfing songs..."  LOL  "Bellow and blare"?  I don't even see any old fashioned PA columns.  What?  are they running the voices through the guitar amps?

"Bellow and blare".  That's funny. LOL
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:59:03 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »

This is one of the photos I came across while researching Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, my forthcoming book to be published this spring/summer by McFarland. The photo will appear in the book.  It took me nearly two years to find and purchase a copy of the 1963 Atinian yearbook so I could use the best original source for the photograph.

I reasoned, quite simply, actually, that the Boys must have played a lot of high school dances in their early days. Many of them perhaps still undocumented. So I researched high schools, yearbooks, alumni websites, school newspapers, public libraries, and local newspapers for high schools within a reasonable driving distance from 3701 West 119th Street in Hawthorne. For William Howard Taft High School in Woodland Hills, CA, I spoke to a few people who were students or teachers at the time and attended the concert.  Only students who had purchased activity cards for the semester were allowed to attend certain school-sponsored events, including the Beach Boys concert.

To give you some idea of my obsessiveness with the band's early history, I reasoned that the photograph that appeared in the school's 1963 Atinian yearbook was not the only photograph of the band taken that night.  Most likely a roll or two of film, probably black & white, was shot and contact sheets were made from which this photo was selected.  Were the negatives, contact sheets, or other prints lingering in some long-forgotten metal filing cabinet?  Well, I had to know.  I struck out at the school.  No archives, no dusty filing cabinets, no time capsule, nothing. And I had a champion at the school who just loved the story. I then reasoned that perhaps the yearbook photographer, justifiably proud of his work, kept the negatives or contact sheets. I tracked him down and he graciously agreed to be interviewed. He was the activities director who arranged for the show, attended the concert, and took the photograph. And, yes, he took "a roll or two of black & white photographs" that night.  And, no, he did not keep them.  He turned them into the yearbook office at the school where, presumably, they were tossed sometime during the intervening fifty years. Arrrgghh!  But that's how research goes. I was thrilled when I first saw this photograph, excited and anxious to speak with the photographer, and bummed to learn the other photos had been discarded.  There are roughly two seconds, brimming with hope and possibility, after you ask the question, "By any chance did you save the negatives?" before those hopes are dashed and kicked to the curb. Oh, well.   

One thing about this show still nags me. The date is generally believed to be Thursday, November 22, 1962. Ian and Jon go with that date in their book. I have not been able to independently verify that date. Perhaps, Ian came across some proof of which I am unaware. That would not surprise me! No one I spoke with who attended the show could recall anything more specific than "fall 1962." But Thursday, November 22, 1962, was Thanksgiving and school would have been closed that day and probably the following Friday as well. I suppose the concert could have been a special event for activity card holders and held on the Thanksgiving holiday. It just struck me as odd.  But, what happens the following day in Beach Boys land -- Friday, November 23, 1962 -- will have to wait to spring/summer   Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 04:13:20 PM »

But, what happens the following day in Beach Boys land -- Friday, November 23, 1962 -- will have to wait to spring/summer   Grin

I'll not break my promise; the secret is safe until your book is published

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »

I reasoned, quite simply, actually, that the Boys must have played a lot of high school dances in their early days. Many of them perhaps still undocumented.

FTFY.  Grin

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »

One thing about this show still nags me. The date is generally believed to be Thursday, November 22, 1962. Ian and Jon go with that date in their book. I have not been able to independently verify that date. Perhaps, Ian came across some proof of which I am unaware. That would not surprise me! No one I spoke with who attended the show could recall anything more specific than "fall 1962." But Thursday, November 22, 1962, was Thanksgiving and school would have been closed that day and probably the following Friday as well. I suppose the concert could have been a special event for activity card holders and held on the Thanksgiving holiday. It just struck me as odd.  But, what happens the following day in Beach Boys land -- Friday, November 23, 1962 -- will have to wait to spring/summer   Grin

Gotta agree that the date seems really odd, in fact highly doubtful.  I simply cannot imagine that the concert took place on Thanksgiving day, or the day after, for that matter, when the school would have been closed as well.  I'm guessing you were unable to locate any Taft HS newspapers from that era, where either an activities calendar, ad for the concert, or article about the concert would have most likely appeared, or a Taft HS Alumni Assn with a newsletter whereby former students could be asked if they had an old HS newspaper mentioning the concert.

Still, a really cool early pic, and very impressive research on your part, including tracking down the photographer!  Really looking forward to your book.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »

The Holy Grail of early photos must surely be the set mentioned by Alan's mom as having been taken fall 1961.

[This is where Jim hints he's found them...  Grin]

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »

The Holy Grail of early photos must surely be the set mentioned by Alan's mom as having been taken fall 1961.

[This is where Jim hints he's found them...  Grin]

Cool!

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:32 AM »

Jim, I have a friend who claims to have walked in on a Beach Boys performance at Hawthorne High in 1962.  Would it be in any way helpful to put you in touch with him?  Also when I was with the Standells, Larry Tamblyn talked about backing the Beach Boys at the Rainbow Gardens in early '62.  He said they were mostly a vocal group for those shows, I believe he said only one of them played an instrument.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx