gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:55:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrinkles vs. Shannon  (Read 5490 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

Which song about a dog who is no longer with us speaks more to you?

I EVEN ALMOST FELT LIKE DYIN'.

No mas, por favor.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »

Shannon, hands down. Cry

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 12:13:18 AM »

Shannon, hands down. Cry

But why? Wrikles came one Christmas in a basket. NOW HE'S DEAD. DOESN'T THAT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?!

No mas, por favor.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »

Wrinkles came one Christmas in a basket. NOW HE'S DEAD. DOESN'T THAT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?!
Yeah! And what a way to go - I'm hoping to flit this mortal coil in a similar manner.

Wrinkles wrules!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »

Happy holidays guys! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 02:39:43 PM »

'Shannon' by a C O U N T R Y mile and back again.  It immediately conjures up images of 'One More Tomorrow' and other great Gross songs and of the friendship between Henry and Carl. Cool Guy

Other than that...this thread is going to the dogs.  For shame. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »

I actually met Wrinkles back in the day. It wasn't a good experience and I'd be lying if I claimed not to savour every reminder of his demise. The song is no exception; heartwarming stuff.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:54:15 PM by Ted » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »

I actually met Wrinkles back in the day. It wasn't a good experience and I'd be lying if I claimed not to savour every reminder of his demise. The song is no exception; heartwarming stuff.

Cheesy

Just subjected myself to Wrinkles. Ho-lee-crap is that godawful. One of the worst things ever. Not one of the worst songs ever, one of the worst things. The voice...the lyrics...the cheesy strings. It's an abomination and it goes on for four and a half jaw-dropping minutes. Feels like an hour.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »

Has Mike ever been asked about Wrinkles? I just hope a fan or interviewer asks him, and that a recording device is around.  LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »

The poor dog was most likely forced to hear it blaring from the home monitors and dropped dead from noxious fumes. A real stinkpot of a song- anyone surprised? Thud
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:57:23 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »

Your magnum opus OSD! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »

Shannon was played a lot on the radio. I bought the single around the time it came out and Henry Gross had kinduva Brian Wilson style of singing - maybe closer to Carl, I dunno. Can't remember if I knew it was about Carl Wilson's dog before or after I bought it. Anyway, that's what I heard at the time.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »

Can't remember if I knew it was about Carl Wilson's dog before or after I bought it. Anyway, that's what I heard at the time.
Reading old topics, I remember someone said they asked Henry Gross if the song is about his or Carl's dog Shannon (if I recall, the dogs shared the same name but diff. breed). He confirmed the latter. Those with better memory, chime in.

I like both songs.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »

Henry Gross tells the story of "Shannon": When I was twenty-one years old a wonderful girl came into my life by the name of Kathy Reinmann. As if having her in my life as a friend, a wife and a friend again for the next twenty three years, until she died of lung cancer August 24, 1995, was not enough, she brought along with her into my heart her two year old Irish Setter, Shannon. She was an uncannily human dog whose ability to manipulate her human counterparts cannot be understated. I was touring around the country quite a lot in 1975 promoting an album called HENRY GROSS, the one with the yellow cover on A&M Records. I had the pleasure of doing long strings of dates with a group whose music always inspired me, The Beach Boys. Carl Wilson, arguably the finest solo voice in the group, was warm and welcoming from the very first show I played with them on a freezing cold day at the University of New Hampshire. After getting to know each other we realized we shared a love for much of the same music and a passion for fine vintage guitars. On a break from touring, while I was in Los Angeles, Carl invited me to his house to spend a day talking guitars, cars and rock & roll. While he was preparing lunch his two Alaskan Husky dogs reached up on the counter and inhaled our food. I told Carl, while admiring the military perfection of the raid executed by his Huskies, that I had an Irish Setter at home named Shannon. He was quite moved as he told me that he had an Irish Setter named Shannon that had been killed only recently when hit by a car. We spent the rest of the day jamming and driving around Carl's world which as a friend and to be honest a Beach Boy's fanatic was a thrill. When I returned to New York City, where I lived, I began work on my second A&M album, PLUG ME INTO SOMETHING. A few weeks later just as we were about to master the finished album I was sitting on my bed with Shannon strumming my guitar trying to write a song when I was disturbed by the loud bass sounds from the Latin music blasting from the apartment above me. Rather than complain I made an amazing discovery. If I tried to play records of my own choice I could drown out the intrusive bass sounds but was unable to concentrate. But I found that when I played an environments record called "The Ultimate Seashore" I could drown out the bass and have a pleasing and relaxing background sound that didn't interfere with my writing. In a matter of minutes with the ocean sounds guiding me, and my 1964 Gibson Hummingbird acoustic in my hands, my thoughts drifted to Carl, The Beach Boys and with a glance at my girl Shannon, the indescribable sadness that losing such a beloved partner in life must be. The song seemed to write itself taking no more than ten minutes and with almost no cross outs on the paper. I made a tape of it on my giant Sony cassette recorder and sent it off to Carl. I was hoping to stop the presses and record it for PLUG ME INTO SOMETHING which Carl had already sung on, adding background vocals to the opening song, ONE MORE TOMORROW, but it was too late. I had to wait for the next album to record it. I always wished I could have had Carl sing backgrounds on SHANNON but conflicting schedules dictated it wasn't meant to be. I believed after it was recorded for my RELEASE album, that it was destined to be a hit and lobbied hard for it to be the first single. You see, the man upstairs who had played the loud Latin music, beginning the entire chain of events, came down when he heard me playing mixes over and over to decide which I liked. However, rather than hearing the expected complaints, he said he loved the sound of the record and wanted to know where he could buy a copy. I reasoned if a salsa music fan who spoke little English loved the record through the ceiling, Shannon, Kathy and I had a hit on our hands. Fortunately, history and lady luck proved me right. And that is the true story of the song SHANNON.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 09:27:57 PM »

Thanks, Mikie! Sounds like they both had the same breed AND name. But I was  right, it's about Carl's dog.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 09:42:35 PM »

Wrinkles may have actually surpassed Mama Will Bark in my mind as the worst dog song ever. Actually no, Sinatra had no excuse for that.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 07:03:27 AM »

The Singing Dogs version of 'Jingle Bells' might offer up some competition as the "worst".  Although... ... ...I suppose it was 'cute'...the FIRST time. LOL

Never much liked 'How Much Is That Doggy In the Window' either. Angry

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 09:29:37 AM »

My vote goes to Shannon. I still have the 45.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »

Was Wrinkles a shar pei?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:24:11 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

The Singing Dogs version of 'Jingle Bells' might offer up some competition as the "worst". 

You are a demon from hell.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »

Evil

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »

This thread had me rolling.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »

Shannon.. love the song and the tender vocal..
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx