gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:21:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goofy on tour with AMCB  (Read 1520 times)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:09:56 PM »

Okay... not really... but it felt like it at times!  Following the band around 3 different states... but I'm getting ahead of myself, let's start at the beginning.

Thursday afternoon I travelled to Milwaukee to visit with my dad.  Had a nice relaxing visit and I'm thankful that I took two naps that day since...

Friday night we took off for Michigan.  Originally we were going to leave around 12:30 but my buddy Al had some things he needed to get done and so the end result was that we didn't even leave my dad's condo until after 5:30.  Was an enjoyable night time drive, top down on Al's Cadillac Allante, wonderful weather, cruisin to Beach Boys songs... what could be better?  We finally arrived in Livonia MI around 1:30 or 2am.  I crashed as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Saturday we woke fairly early to get to the Embassy Suites hotel where Hodadfest was being held.  I think we got there around 10:30 local time (my times in the rest of this report are gonna be F'd up due to my not changing my watch for the time zone change).  Met up with a few people before the convention started, including Katie who is every bit as sweet in real life as she is online.  The convention got underway with a wonderful and moving video tribute to Carl featuring lots of footage and remixes of songs I hadn't heard before.  VERY cool, and quite emotional.  Next, Dom Priore gave a great presentation on California pop culture in the 60s and some of the influences of surf music and the like.  Very informative.  Had a little break for a buffet lunch before Bobby Figuroa and Mike Meros gave a presentation and Q&A session about their time with the Beach Boys Band.  After that we were treated to a short, maybe 30 minutes worth, set by Adam Marsland's Chaos Band.  I had heard wonderful things about them and their sound clips sounded fantastic, but daaaaaamn are they good!!!  If they're in your area make every effort to see them, you will NOT be disappointed.  After the music it was time for Beach Boys Jeopardy emceed by none other than Mr. Alan Boyd.  It was a close race between Rob McCabe and Adam, with Adam winning on the third final Jeopardy question (the other two answers were disputed, probably because you had a bunch of geeks who know anything and everything there is to know in BBland).  Anyway that was a fun time and pretty much wrapped up the convention proper.  Afterwards time was spent hanging out with Rob, Dee, Katie and Dom in the hotel lounge area where Dom shared even more insight and thoughts on a variety of subjects.  He is one cool guy to hang with, wish we had more time.  Next up was the Trolley Stop show by Adam's band.  Their voices were all kinda trashed due to lack of sleep and a grueling tour schedule, but no one seemed to care.  They had the whole place rockin to Evie's "I Can't Let Go" and a fantastic version of "Heroes and Villains" done very similar (but dare I say better) than the 73 "IN CONCERT" version.  After the set we got to chat with the band and hang out in the parking lot before finally making our way back to the hotel.

Sunday we hit the road for Chicago around noon.  Not sure what time we got in to Chicago but the band was already there waiting for the Elbo Room to open up so they could do load-in.  Went out to eat at a Thai restaurant with Rob and Dee, but I'm not a fan of Thai and wasn't all that hungry anyway so I just had a can of Coke *LOL*   Met up with Dan Addington at the venue and made our way downstairs for the concert.  I thought the band was better vocally, but Evie kept having problems with her pedal board and Adam was having some issues too as I recall.  I still thought it was a fantastic show, apart from the idiots who were talking during the whole set waiting for THEIR band to take the stage.  We didn't get an encore so no Heroes or Celebrate the News.  Got to hang with the band some more, and if Evie thanked me once she thanked me no less than 10 times for showing up and supporting them.  I noticed that their tip jar was empty so I gave them a buck.  Being a poor college grad that's all I could really afford.  Evie joked that would get them a few blocks worth of gas.  Had another wonderful night-time drive back to Milwaukee where we crashed at Al's.

Monday we got down to Vnuk's at whatever time it was (told you my times would be F'd up!!) and got to watch the band go through sound check.  They had a substitute drummer since Kurt had to catch a flight back to LA to re-enter the "real world".  Wes did a fantastic job filling in though.  He's in some local band that I didn't catch the name of, but might have to look them up next time I'm in Milwaukee.  I was really disappointed with the turn out at Vnuk's, but on the other hand it seemed like it was a private gig for myself, Al, Rob and Dee so that was kinda cool.  After the set we watched the band load up their gear, said our goodbyes and had to end an incredible and memorable weekend.

I'd like to thank Adam, Evie, Alan, John, Kurt, and T for their extreme generousity and kindness this past weekend.  You all are wonderful people... the world needs more folks like you!

Now it's back to reality for the Goofster... ended up having TWO interviews today, so hopefully something will break for me soon.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:32:20 PM »

Thanks for the report Jeff! I enjoyed meeting you and Al at the Trolley Lounge show. Yes, Adam and Co. put on a wonderful two hours of music. I got a kick out of the doorman telling unprepared patrons that the featured performers were a "Beach Boys Tribute Band"; I can only imagine what these people thought when they couldn't recognize a single song! Of course, this is the kind of tribute that counts and went a long way to prove the quality of Dennis and Carl's writing. I'm currently enjoying Adam's solo release "You Don't Know Me" (which was available for purchase at the shows along with Alan Boyd's "Channel Surfing" and a collection of Evie Sands' releases); a very strong album that demonstrates the live band's chops.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx